Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I’m pretty curious now about other people with aphantasia who roleplay. I find that it trips me up when I’m running a scene off the cuff because I won’t even think to describe large swathes of detail, like what a character looks like or the knick-knacks on a table that should key the players in that the hovel owner is a magician. But on the other hand my scripted stuff is really fleshed out and detailed brcause I have to “write through” it to get the scene. This is mostly unfortunate because I like to play looser and with less prep, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SkyeAuroline posted:

Blades is actually next on my docket of "games to see if I can make them work solo" and I already have a crew written up, just have to figure out how to make it work mechanically - when I tried running it as a fresh GM it went pretty poorly due to misunderstanding of the rules. One of those games I really do want to love!

Yeah, might be a bit more extreme. Art does help sometimes (though my art folder has gotten unmanageable with size... which I should really work on). The ideas around notes are a pretty good set - definitely something I'll keep in mind. As far as going with impulses, I do try to do that... when I have them, and I've been trying not to step on toes too hard in the process. Hard boundaries to draw. I thankfully have a pretty understanding pair of groups that have been willing to work with me now and in the past.

Appreciate the advice, folks.

Another suggestion: try playing characters that are closer to you. So it's less how about getting in a headspace and more "what would I do in that situation?" And talking to the GM ahead of time to let them know you're looking to play more of a supporting cast and feel like you could freeze if given spotlight time. Since a good GM ironically is likely to accidentally chase you with the spotlight if they notice you haven't been in it for a long time.

For chunkier or complex games cheat sheets with "this is what my character is good at" might help. Like when playing 4e D&D I had a player that I wrote a quick index card that listed what each of their moves were and when to use them. Though it sounds more like you're having trouble feeling comfortable with character mindsets than rulesets.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Golden Bee posted:

thanks for the swift response!
It didn’t feel viable to continue a character who has done that and then be like “Oh well, time to go to my 1 PM police interrogation covered in bandages at 1hp.” Or “I’m going to skip it and get arrested during our next investigation scene.”
The pre-made adventures in FI2e are pretty solid and I'm fixing to steal Glass Beach at some point.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Len posted:

They also have a Drizzt one

It's just a smidge problematic

Didn't Netflix remove an episode of Community over a Drow costume

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Didn't Netflix remove an episode of Community over a Drow costume

Because the gag in the episode was a dude wore blackface for it and didn't understand the problem since he was a dark elf.
If the costume is just a wig, tunic, and accessories or whatever it's not a big deal. Nerds will absolutely make it blackface tho

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Best of luck, SkyeAuroline!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rockman Reserve posted:

(I also grabbed a Digimon starter and the art is freaking adorable and the cardstock is great.)

We're about a month off from being able to use this adorable creature.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Coolness Averted posted:

Nerds will absolutely make it blackface tho

They already have.

I don't recommend googling "drow cosplay" but it yields exactly the results you're imagining.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What are some decent EXTREMELY light all-ages board games on the complexity level of Monopoly (but not, obviously, Monopoly), Checkers, UNO, Sorry/Trouble, or Connect Four? Things that don't require more than 5 minutes explanation or setup, and yet don't [completely] suck? Apples and Oranges is out ("Want to play something just like Cards Against Humanity but even less funny?"), ditto Munchkin (I'd honestly rather play Monopoly), Battleship... Code Names and Galaxy Trucker were a little too complex. We liked Forbidden Island/Desert. Is there anything else out there?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Splendor is fantastic for that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Imagined posted:

What are some decent EXTREMELY light all-ages board games on the complexity level of Monopoly (but not, obviously, Monopoly), Checkers, UNO, Sorry/Trouble, or Connect Four? Things that don't require more than 5 minutes explanation or setup, and yet don't [completely] suck? Apples and Oranges is out ("Want to play something just like Cards Against Humanity but even less funny?"), ditto Munchkin (I'd honestly rather play Monopoly), Battleship... Code Names and Galaxy Trucker were a little too complex. We liked Forbidden Island/Desert. Is there anything else out there?

6 Nimmt
Bohnanza
King of Tokyo
Love Letter
Can't Stop

The board game thread is honestly a better venue for this question, though.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Love Letter works great but is for exactly 4 people.
Zombie dice is incredibly quick to play and setup/explain but I don't know if it has much staying power if you're looking to play for hours vs a quick game here and there.
If you like social games/bluffing Balderdash is fun: it's just a bunch of trivia or obscure words, and everyone tries to make up an answer, these get mixed with the real answer and you score points if people believe yours, and/or you guess the real one.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Anomia, dawg. Anomia.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

Love Letter works great but is for exactly 4 people.
Zombie dice is incredibly quick to play and setup/explain but I don't know if it has much staying power if you're looking to play for hours vs a quick game here and there.
If you like social games/bluffing Balderdash is fun: it's just a bunch of trivia or obscure words, and everyone tries to make up an answer, these get mixed with the real answer and you score points if people believe yours, and/or you guess the real one.

Oh yeah, we liked Love Letter. Also Godzilla Tokyo Clash was a bit of a hit despite being a little complex just because of the theme and neat components.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Magical Athlete, if you can get your hands on a copy.
Tussie Mussie is good for up to four players.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Rhino Hero
Walk the Plank is a little more complex but I like it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Imagined posted:

Oh yeah, we liked Love Letter. Also Godzilla Tokyo Clash was a bit of a hit despite being a little complex just because of the theme and neat components.

Then you also might like King of Tokyo or King of New York, the original King of Tokyo is very sinple, but add ons and I believe 2nd edition gave it more mechanics.
King of New York adds more of a board you move around and buildings and military to smash while still being simple.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Can anyone think of any cool RPGs or supplements (or maybe other things?) about being a magic-user and establishing your own Wizard Tower/Sanctum/Workshop? Ironsworn just had a cool 3rd-party supplement put out to that effect and I'm thinking of giving it a go but also looking for some additional inspiration material perhaps. It lists Ars Magica as primary inspiration but I'm wondering if there is anything else cool/good out there.

tia

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 30, 2021

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Seconding 6nimmt, it's not very strategy-heavy but it's still an absolute blast. Also Cubirds and the Century series are really good and quite simple.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can anyone think of any cool RPGs or supplements (or maybe other things?) about being a magic-user and establishing your own Wizard Tower/Sanctum/Worshop? Ironsworn just had a cool 3rd-party supplement put out to that effect and I'm thinking of giving it a go but also looking for some additional inspiration material perhaps. It lists Ars Magica as primary inspiration but I'm wondering if there is anything else cool/good out there.

tia

The ars magica covenants book is literally entirely this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still mad we didn't get the Ars Magica videogame by the makers of the King of Dragon Pass.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can anyone think of any cool RPGs or supplements (or maybe other things?) about being a magic-user and establishing your own Wizard Tower/Sanctum/Workshop? Ironsworn just had a cool 3rd-party supplement put out to that effect and I'm thinking of giving it a go but also looking for some additional inspiration material perhaps. It lists Ars Magica as primary inspiration but I'm wondering if there is anything else cool/good out there.

tia

The Seclusium of Orphone of the Three Visions by Vincent Baker is relevant, I think.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jimbozig posted:

The Seclusium of Orphone of the Three Visions by Vincent Baker is relevant, I think.

It's kinda crap. It's just a bunch of tables for rolling up wizard towers with a bunch of weird Lamentations-y stuff on them.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Megazver posted:

It's kinda crap. It's just a bunch of tables for rolling up wizard towers with a bunch of weird Lamentations-y stuff on them.

Your mileage may vary, but I got a lot of use out of Seclusium. There's a ton of neat implied setting stuff in that book which the tables then put into player-facing, interactable material, and I enjoyed the aesthetic it produces of a magical tradition where magicians rise and fall in predictable cycles, and the Dying Earth-esque culture of sorcery (and the plunder of sorcery by rogues) that those cycles engender.

Edit: Come to think of it, one of the best one-shots I've run was prepped almost entirely by use of Seclusium's tables. I was asked to GM Pathfinder for some folks I don't normally play with, and was ambushed at the last minute with "Oh and btw we're playing a troupe of traveling circus performers, no, we don't see any problem doing this with loving Pathfinder. Oh and we want to be level 13." I ran through the Seclusium creation process to give them a venue: a wizard's seclusium opening for the first time in a couple hundred years after accidentally imprisoning herself on another plane, only to find that her tower is on the border of a war-zone between men and elves, with armies camped on either side of the "ruins."

To rid herself of this nuisance, the sorceress organizes peace talks during a harvest festival, and throws open the outer gates of her seclusium to all and sundry, offering a ludicrous sum of treasure and the granting of a wish to anyone who can provide the jaded magus with the novelty she prizes over all else. The seclusium's baroque weirdness was the main character of the session in the same way that the house is the main character of a haunted house story, and worked out quite well for giving them an environment sufficiently weird to give mid-level adventurers pause, while also letting them get up to ridiculous shenanigans as they tried to manipulate the peace talks, ruin their hated circus rivals, and win the favor of the mercurial sorceress.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 30, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Kestral posted:

Edit: Come to think of it, one of the best one-shots I've run was prepped almost entirely by use of Seclusium's tables. I was asked to GM Pathfinder for some folks I don't normally play with, and was ambushed at the last minute with "Oh and btw we're playing a troupe of traveling circus performers, no, we don't see any problem doing this with loving Pathfinder. Oh and we want to be level 13."

Pathfinder 2e has the players as a traveling circus in its second published campaign arc. Unfortunately it forgets about it by about halfway through, but still.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Imagined posted:

Tsuro and King of Tokyo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah tables as a worldbuilding method are great. I’d also look at the Cthonic Codex by Lost Pages, which is expressly about Wizard schools and campaigns set in them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Imagined posted:

Sushi Go (Party is better and you can play base with party but it's a bit more expensive) and Kingdomino are also good picks.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Arivia posted:

Yeah tables as a worldbuilding method are great. I’d also look at the Cthonic Codex by Lost Pages, which is expressly about Wizard schools and campaigns set in them.

Also, Veins of the Earth. If you ever wanted the Underdark / fantasy caving to feel legitimately sinister, claustrophobic, and by turns nightmarish and darkly wondrous, Veins is your ticket. I've rarely - maybe never - gotten so much value out of a sourcebook. While it's technically OSR, the ideas and tables are system-neutral: I used it for a lengthy Burning Wheel game set in the Forgotten Realms Underdark, for example.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Coolness Averted posted:

Because the gag in the episode was a dude wore blackface for it and didn't understand the problem since he was a dark elf.
If the costume is just a wig, tunic, and accessories or whatever it's not a big deal. Nerds will absolutely make it blackface tho

Shirley even calls it out in the episode asking if people are going to ignore the hate crime.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Anomia is a great one. Coup is slightly more complex but still pretty fast. Skull is very easy and really doesn't even require any money, you can just like use anything that can be held like a card and a sharpie since there's just two things (flowers and skulls).

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still mad we didn't get the Ars Magica videogame by the makers of the King of Dragon Pass.

God.

God.

What a loss.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Imagined posted:

Azul is my goto.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait, was that ever on the table? Are you pulling my leg?

Haystack fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 31, 2021

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

e: Double post

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tulip posted:

Skull is very easy and really doesn't even require any money, you can just like use anything that can be held like a card and a sharpie since there's just two things (flowers and skulls).

I'm god drat terrible at Skull so it's very lonely, but I made a set for Skull by just taking beer coasters from bars in various foreign countries. God drat love that thing.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sweet baby Jesus I would kill for this.

Especially if they do a similar but stylistically distinct thing with the art.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sweet baby Jesus I would kill for this.

Especially if they do a similar but stylistically distinct thing with the art.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackchickenstudios/ars-magica-video-game

Didn't make it's goal of $290,000 in October 2012. What could have been.

Imagined posted:

I'm going to second the recommendation of Splendor.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I should have specified the makers of the remake, but yeah. I was one of the few who pledged. :smith:

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I really like Khan of Khans from Chaosium. It's not even that impenetrable to non-Glorantha fans!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SkyeAuroline posted:

How the hell do I become a proactive player with an imagination? I don't even know where to start.
One idea might be to come up with a personal motivation for your character - something that they want to achieve that meshes with what the party is trying to achieve but isn't the actual shared goal - and discuss it with the GM so they know what you're trying to do and can incorporate it into the story. If you keep that personal goal in mind then it will hopefully give you ideas for things that your character wants to do that don't fall into the category of "anyone in the party could do this, so I guess I might as well if no one else does?"

Chakan posted:

I’m pretty curious now about other people with aphantasia who roleplay. I find that it trips me up when I’m running a scene off the cuff because I won’t even think to describe large swathes of detail, like what a character looks like or the knick-knacks on a table that should key the players in that the hovel owner is a magician.
I like to encourage players to fill in those details. The easy way is to let players know up front that they can ask at any time if some particular thing is present - like, you might say that the desk has some arcane devices and magical reagents on it and a player might ask if there's a crystal ball there, so you say "yeah, sure" - so if they have an idea for something they want to do that relies on a particular prop then you're not getting in their way. The other way is to explicitly ask players to build the scene - you say "this room seems to belong to a magician; John, describe some of the objects you see on the desk."

Coolness Averted posted:

And talking to the GM ahead of time to let them know you're looking to play more of a supporting cast and feel like you could freeze if given spotlight time. Since a good GM ironically is likely to accidentally chase you with the spotlight if they notice you haven't been in it for a long time.
Not every GM is going to be ok with playing that way, so picking the right group to play with is important, but there's nothing wrong with playing a less prominent character. If you want to play as a sidekick or a supporting role and just chime in with little bits and pieces then that's perfectly reasonable.

Imagined posted:

What are some decent EXTREMELY light all-ages board games on the complexity level of Monopoly (but not, obviously, Monopoly), Checkers, UNO, Sorry/Trouble, or Connect Four? Things that don't require more than 5 minutes explanation or setup, and yet don't [completely] suck?
Ticket to Ride might work? It's no good if you're looking for something with a lot of randomness so younger kids stand a good chance of winning, but if you want something for older kids and adults that's more skill-based but still very easy to setup and learn, it's a good game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Imagined posted:

Skip-Bo
Labyrinth
Fluxx, depending on your definition of all ages and "require more than 5 minutes to explain". Zombie Fluxx breaks the usual X but with Zombies rule by being the best Fluxx.
e: Dinosaur Island is amazing

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

hyphz posted:

Pathfinder 2e has the players as a traveling circus in its second published campaign arc. Unfortunately it forgets about it by about halfway through, but still.

Yeah, I tried to run this and it was bad. The rules they made up for running the circus are just a million skill checks that don't affect very much, and it very quickly just turns into standard adventuring stuff - going to dungeons, looking for bad guys, getting in random, boring fights.