Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Crazy Achmed posted:

Why is bibimbap bad?

If you go to a specialty place it can be okay, but at 99% of restaurants in Korea bibimbap is on the menu to give them a way of disposing of trash by selling it to you instead of throwing it away. Various overcooked vegetable off-bits, or old rear end banchan in the back of the fridge, tossed onto some rice with a splat of gochujang. It's bad and bland and overpriced.

Dolsot bibimbap is also superior to normal bibimbap, if you want to have a bibimbap type of food. Usually that also means you're at a specialty place and they're serving you something decent that's had care put into it. Regular places just serve bibimbap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

I was summoned to effortpost. Korean food is good but also extremely hosed. It is a land of contrasts.

Factors:

A) Some of the really weird poo poo like budae jjigae is the result of the Korean War and its immediate aftermath. During and after the war South Korea was hugely dependent on US food aid, and that wasn't fresh food since it had to be shipped over and all. So Koreans were introduced to things like Spam (which is still a hot ticket item) and canned baked beans and stuff. You couldn't be picky about food, so dump all that poo poo into a pot and eat it.

B) It's easy to forget nowadays, but Korea was an incredibly poor country for decades after the war. The economy didn't start to pick up until the 70s and it was still pretty poor and backwards until like the late 90s. The last famine was in the 80s. A lot of Korean food is from decades of poverty and deprivation. Korea is just starting to climb out of this, when I lived there they were getting their first kind of modern chefs trying to get Korean food back to its roots and make it better. Hipsters are fun to mock but think about how bad American food was before then. Korea's still in the equivalent of the 1980s steam table era.

C) The sugar thing loving sucks, yeah. Korean food is way too sweet. If you haven't been to Korea you may not know this, because most of the immigrants left before the sugar thing started and Korean food in places like the US is more like it used to be. Korea puts sugar and corn/rice syrup in or on loving everything. There's not a definitive answer how or why, but it started around when Korea started getting money so it's probably connected to that. We can afford sweets now, sweet everything! Unfortunately, it tastes lovely and is unhealthy--Korea has one of, if not the, fastest growing diabetes rates in the world plus generally people are getting fat at an American pace.

When you live in Korea and try a new food you get to play everyone's favorite game, Is It Sweet? and the answer is always yes. The funniest part is Koreans constantly complain that "foreign" food is too sweet, while dumping corn syrup directly onto a hot dog.

D) Korea is super into fads and fashions of all kinds. A couple times a year a new food fad would pop up and be absolutely everywhere. Last time I visited the big thing was cup steak, where you get a cup of soda, and there's a little plastic divider in it, and on the top of the cup is steak cooked well done and possibly some terrible waffle fries. Eat the steak and drink from the straw all in one package.

E) Instagram food. Yeah, this and D happen everywhere, but the scale in Korea is off the loving charts compared to most other places.

F) Nobody in Korea learns to cook until they get married and leave home. People just don't know food as well if they don't learn to cook. After a couple years there I was better at Korean food than any of my Korean friends since they were all unmarried, and only one of them had ever cooked something more complex than instant noodles before. I think this is also changing slightly as celebrity chefs become a thing.

G) What Korea does to foreign food is best not spoken of. I can't explain it. It's always a nightmare and I don't know why.

H) Actual Korean food, while good, is also very limited. There are basically zero herbs or spices used, there are only a handful of flavor profiles, at least half the cuisine is "put all this in a pot and boil it forever". There's a lot of resistance to altering traditional food, so I think there might be some pent up desire to do different poo poo that comes out as putting ice cream on a baked potato.

I) Korean food is actually not that old! Koreans insist everything is ultra traditional with a history of thousands of years but chili peppers weren't even used all that often until the 1980s. It was considered kind of gauche to make things spicy back in the day. I have no idea how Korea manages the kind of forgetting it does, like marijuana was a common part of Korean culture until the late 1960s then overnight became The Worst Thing In The World and most people have zero idea it was ever a thing. Same with chilies being new, all I ever heard living there was how Koreans invented the chili pepper 13,000 years ago and no other culture eats peppers or garlic.

Anyway that was a bunch of words. Korean food is good. Except bibimbap, never order bibimbap.

E: And while I'm here I will continue my crusade for learning Korean food. It's good and most is pretty easy to make. https://koreanbapsang.com/ is the best online resource in English. Maangchi's food sucks, avoid.

yikers

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Reducing the scourge that is mass food waste is a good thing, though

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Picnic Princess posted:

Reducing the scourge that is mass food waste is a good thing, though

Korea doesn't really have a problem with that. Almost all food waste in Korea is recycled for animal feed and fertilizer. I think they make biofuel out of it too. You have a whole separate little plastic bucket for it.

E: Also to throw away anything in Korea you have to buy special bags/tags. They're not particularly expensive but the fee's intended to discourage you from producing as much trash to begin with.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 27, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Aardvark! posted:

“Food”

I would at least try these all if I could identify the ingredients within +/-5%

What is this, just a giant sandwich? How is this expected to be eaten, as is or does it get ‘built’?

Yes, I often serve my food on plywood

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Love to eat food that is 90% bread and sauces

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Same, but unironically

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
this is how the world ends
not with a frank but with a furter

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I absolutely agree on this regarding the posted images.
It can be pretty satisfying if we're talking about focaccia, baguette, or other well crafted bread and bruschetta, infused oil, etc.

One could argue pasta is nearly bread with sauce.

But that poo poo posted up there? loving no way.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I love that the sauces are just stacked intact ropes

Imagine eating that poo poo. The texture. The temperature. Jesus :barf:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

I would at least try these all if I could identify the ingredients within +/-5%

What is this, just a giant sandwich? How is this expected to be eaten, as is or does it get ‘built’?

Yes, I often serve my food on plywood

the ones in the box are just stuff like these that have been grill pressed. 2 full hot dogs, though it's hard to see

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Aardvark! posted:

the ones in the box are just stuff like these that have been grill pressed. 2 full hot dogs, though it's hard to see

Is this some kind of a sick spin on a romeu e julieta dessert, or am imagining things?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Is this some kind of a sick spin on a romeu e julieta dessert, or am imagining things?

W-would?
At least once? For the novelty of it?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
That is (and I’m saying this as a mayonnaise enjoyer) that is too much mayonnaise.

When I grew up we were so poor I’d toast bread and mayo on it like if you were making a regular sandwich but I didn’t have anything to put in it and just had mayo sandwiches.

But that is still too much mayo…

I did think they were only putting half a hot dog on each side but there is another cut-in-half hot dog under that ketchup.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Huge portions of an ingredient is the laziest food gimmick in a world full of lazy food gimmicks.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Stink Terios posted:

From a nearby place on iFood called Gringo Burger (lol), behold the Banana Solar Eclipse and the Red Strawberry Moon:

It's also the only place I've ever seen in Brazil that serves fried chicken coated in sauce. They even give you rubber gloves with the order!

This is such an act of beauty and good that it made part of my brain overheat, like of course make brownie burgers with cakey nut-dusted buns and all the fixings your heart desires. Is that jam on the second one? Is that loving nutella on the first one? Where is the nobel prize committee, where is the white smoke signaling a new pope has been elected, where is the ice cream it seems natural that this would come with ice cream :aaaaa:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
as i mentioned in the pizza thread, im now blindly navigating a Chinese app to find content since they don't use Google maps.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Aardvark! posted:

as i mentioned in the pizza thread, im now blindly navigating a Chinese app to find content since they don't use Google maps.

God thier so afr ahead of us in dog tech

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Grand Fromage posted:

I was summoned to effortpost. Korean food is good but also extremely hosed. It is a land of contrasts.

E: And while I'm here I will continue my crusade for learning Korean food. It's good and most is pretty easy to make. https://koreanbapsang.com/ is the best online resource in English. Maangchi's food sucks, avoid.

Can u chill with that? Honestly just trying to scope f*cked up dogs ITT.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Roti john is hamburger/hotdog-adjacent, I guess.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

mkvltra posted:

Can u chill with that? Honestly just trying to scope f*cked up dogs ITT.

It was a good post

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Aardvark! posted:

Thank you for your service o7

It's not far from a Costco dog

From the dispensers in the background, this looks like a customer dressed the dog themselves and just hosed it up

I don't know why I get irrationally irritated at a hot dog splashed with sauces. Like the entire top of the dog has some combination of ingredients on it, particularly the bun top as well. Makes me mad. It's weird that I feel that way.

ilovebeersooomuch fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 28, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Crazy Achmed posted:

Roti john is hamburger/hotdog-adjacent, I guess.

Is that a hotdog omelette?????????????????????????????????

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Casey and his brother had the best hamburgers and hotdogs.

https://i.imgur.com/uzA9lTB.mp4

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm having a hell of a time trying to find awful food videos of this poo poo. Found only one of the steak cup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkr5jDWsPPY&t=371s

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm having a hell of a time trying to find awful food videos of this poo poo. Found only one of the steak cup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkr5jDWsPPY&t=371s

Actually watching them hand cook everything makes it not as terrible as just a vat of steak-soup thats been sitting under a warmer that they spoon into the lid or something.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Mushika posted:

Yeah, the fear of "loose corn" is a weird goon thing, I'm pretty sure. It's fine.

e: I've had "loose corn" on plenty of things I didn't expect traveling around and it's usually fine. And why is it always designated as "loose" corn? Would it be better if it were still on the cob somehow?

Loose corn is just sad and low effort and probably came from a can.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Have a palette cleanser, thread. Although someone will probably hate this.

Mexican fruit cups.

SleepyK
May 21, 2008

:911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Wow, that sure is some virtue signaling.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Jfc people are the worst and that is saying something being in the wurst thread

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

Jfc people are the worst and that is saying something being in the wurst thread

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Not all of these are hot dogs/hamburgers, or even identifiable, but they are all from indisputably American themed places. I'm sure the OP won't mind.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

It was a good post

also THIS!!!

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

lol

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Have a palette cleanser, thread. Although someone will probably hate this.

Mexican fruit cups.

what do they pour on top of the fruit? some kinda chili limon type thing or is it tamarind? i badly want to try these. there's a couple of these fruit cup joints in my region and they look really good.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

https://happydogcleveland.com/food-drink/

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

part of me is angry, part of me wants to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

knuthgrush posted:

what do they pour on top of the fruit? some kinda chili limon type thing or is it tamarind? i badly want to try these. there's a couple of these fruit cup joints in my region and they look really good.

I think it's chamoy, which is some kind of plum sauce.