Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

10 year old me's favorite wrestler was Razor Ramon and I generally found his matches on Superstars (the only WWF show I could watch then) to always be a banger, even the squashes.

He just had that physical presence and really lived up to that oozing machismo in the way he interacted with wrestlers.

It blew my mind when I learned he was faking his Latin American gimmick.

He was also OP as gently caress in Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game. He had a move called the Snap Mirror that was insanely damaging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

iamsosmrt posted:

It blew my mind when I learned he was faking his Latin American gimmick.

I still love the story Vince thought it was an super original gimmick because he'd never seen Scarface.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I had no idea that Razor Ramon was Scott Hall until BatB '96. Until then, my recollection of Hall was that he looked like Magnum TA and Razor Ramon was a completely different person. Oh to be a naive child again :allears:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I always forget. Was it Scott Hall, (as Razor Ramon), or Carlito that Vince famously told to "spic it up more"?

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

BrigadierSensible posted:

I always forget. Was it Scott Hall, (as Razor Ramon), or Carlito that Vince famously told to "spic it up more"?

Carlito. Which is kind of a coin flip if it's actually worse or not.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Didn't Vince think Paul Burchill's gimmick was based off of Erroll Flynn because he was totally oblivious to Pirates of the Caribbean?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zombie Lemur posted:

Didn't Vince think Paul Burchill's gimmick was based off of Erroll Flynn because he was totally oblivious to Pirates of the Caribbean?

I don't recall but I do know there was an issue of disbelief there's a wrestler that thinks he's a pirate and not a pirate who wrestles which is why Vince didn't Get It.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Zombie Lemur posted:

One of the writers said on Lagana's podcast that Vince did see Pirates and loved it.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Dawgstar posted:

I don't recall but I do know there was an issue of disbelief there's a wrestler that thinks he's a pirate and not a pirate who wrestles which is why Vince didn't Get It.

This seems incredibly arbitrary so I can 100% see Vince saying it.

MassRafTer posted:

One of the writers said on Lagana's podcast that Vince did see Pirates and loved it.

drat, that's disappointing. The other way around is way funnier IMO.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/WWEPeacockery/status/1432732709797908482

the only nitro book we really need

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
That cover is the one time Vampiro main evented over Big Sexy and Big Poppa Pump.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

That cover is the one time Vampiro main evented over Big Sexy and Big Poppa Pump.

Look at the adjective - "pump."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Late-period WCW merch is the best kind

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The people who ran WCW magazine did a remarkable job at the end given the multi-month lead time and people quitting/getting fired left and right. Make a nice New Blood cover spread that hits the stands just as the New Blood is broken up. Make a nice new story explaining who Vince Russo is and whoops he's not employed anymore whoops now he is. Regardless, they still put a professional product together and did the best they could. The WCW 2000 trading cards that came with some issues are a great little reminder of a bizarre era.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

WCW Magazine will always hold a special place in my heart for their in-depth look at all the storylines and angles past and present connecting everybody on both sides of the WrestleWar '92 War Games. That sort of dedication is what I'd like back.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Claytor posted:

Look at the adjective - "pump."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Is there a more late-90s wrestler name than Sick Boy?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Meat

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Sick Boy's finisher was called The Cure and was a pedigree.

Meat's finisher was called the Meat Grinder and was a scirpion death drop.

I dont know which name works less well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maxwell Lord posted:

Reckless Youth

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Naked Mideon

Also Val Venis

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lid posted:

Meat's finisher was called the Meat Grinder and was a scirpion death drop.

Meat Grinder sounds like it should be a submission move.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

The Meat Grinder sounds like what the Viscagra would have been called if Viscera jumped ship when they gave him the Worlds Largest Love Machine gimmick.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

Syxx

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Syxx Boy

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Artist Formerly Known as Syxx

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Funny thing is Vampiro more than likely has out drawn both due to his Mexico runs

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ron 'H20' Waterman

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Going through the B&V&C Retro shows again after downloading them, is there a more 90s tag team name than "The Extreme"? They're not even The Extreme Express or Extreme Duo, just The Extreme.

(I'm only sad that it isn't X-Treme.)

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/TheMattCardona/status/1432809322791280645?s=19

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

NikkolasKing posted:

Going through the B&V&C Retro shows again after downloading them, is there a more 90s tag team name than "The Extreme"? They're not even The Extreme Express or Extreme Duo, just The Extreme.

(I'm only sad that it isn't X-Treme.)

X-TremeZ

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Louis CKader.

Zombie Lemur fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 1, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Funny thing is Vampiro more than likely has out drawn both due to his Mexico runs

A bigger mainstream star than both and also a worse wrestler, and maybe crazier than Scott Steiner.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So the whole Roddy Piper "family" stuff in '97 is one of the weirdest things WCW ever did right? Every time I see it it's like a fever dream.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

A bigger mainstream star than both and also a worse wrestler, and maybe crazier than Scott Steiner.

Shame nobody has done a mashup of Steiner Math to Vampiro's Play my music commentary

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

edogawa rando posted:

Sounds like cattle mutilation to me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

It looks like Vader's soul is trapped inside that Hero Head and it's screaming to be released.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

So the whole Roddy Piper "family" stuff in '97 is one of the weirdest things WCW ever did right? Every time I see it it's like a fever dream.

Even younger and more willing to just roll with whatever wrestling nonsense came my way, that one stood out. Some complete randos, the future Roadblock and... John Tenta? And then to continue it he just dumps them - and they're fine with it, but to be honest I would be too - for the Four Horsemen which probably should have just been the go-to option because Piper siding with an ancient enemy in Flair to fight the NWO is a much better story.

The live crowd was probably even more baffled.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Because he was an engaging performer and getting great reactions, they were inclined to just let Piper do whatever he wanted, with all the wildly oscillating results that entailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Just think, if they hadn't let it air then we'd have lost 20+ years of angelfire sites telling us that Goldberg was totally one of those guys!!