Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The problem with the current day storylines of the Assassin Creed games besides the fact that they're boring as poo poo and always star the worst possible characters is that they spend games and games building up but then each storyline quietly concludes in a limited run comic book series nobody loving buys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

christmas boots posted:

I'm still partial to it but I've definitely cooled off from being really into it like I used to be. When it seemed like it was building to something I was all-in, but then there was just this aimless period where nothing really happened and the biggest plot threads got resolved in that spinoff comic.

I still like the framing device and all the conspiracy poo poo, but it's definitely been more misses than hits imo

This was my biggest issue with it tbh. I liked all the goofy conspiracy poo poo, and the random first person puzzle interludes where you hosed around with a jigsaw until it revealed that the templars assassinated marilyn munroe to ensure the continuation of the cold war or whateverthefuck were a nice brief diversion in the gameplay. But then they killed off a bunch of the modern day characters, then they had a massive modern day plot development, and then... apparently gently caress you game fans, if you want to know, buy the comic.

I would say thats what checked me out of the series, and in all honesty it didnt help because it made me feel like I'd wasted time getting invested in the plot of the games, but realistically I'd kind of got burned out on the ubisoft open world gameplay formula and would probably have shortly stopped following the series anyway.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sunswipe posted:

But it also meant we could have been playing as Cassandra in every AC game. I cannot forgive this.

But it also means she could possibly show up in any future game in the franchise!

(Unless they set one in the timeline before Odyssey, which, lol if they do.)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

OutOfPrint posted:

I think it was less that she needed to keep in physical contact with it for 2.5 thousand years, and more the intention that she was handing it to someone else. It seems appropriate for the pieces of eden to recognize when they change ownership, either by gift or by force.

lol nope sorry. I can buy magic illusion apples, holograms that can predict the future with perfect accuracy, genetic memory, triple-helix DNA, hologram afterlives, whatever the hell the Pharoah poo poo was in the Origins DLC, etc.

But this? No, this is where I draw the line. Completely implausible!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Vandar posted:

But it also means she could possibly show up in any future game in the franchise!

(Unless they set one in the timeline before Odyssey, which, lol if they do.)

Remember that the game right before Odyssey was, at the time, the earliest set game in the franchise and even called "Origins". Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vandar posted:

I would be 100% on board for a game where Kassandra is out there as an accidental antagonist by constantly loving things up in her usual murder-happy fashion.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is there a lore reason for why women aren't supposed to be Assassins?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Is there a lore reason for why women aren't supposed to be Assassins?

Are you thinking of that time they said they didn't put a female assassin in Unity because it was too hard to animate (or something along those lines)?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Even the crypt in 2 had female assassins in it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The absence of female assassins in the franchise had nothing to do with the lore and everything to do with Ubisoft's toxic upper management who didn't think games with female protagonists would sell.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

exquisite tea posted:

The absence of female assassins in the franchise had nothing to do with the lore and everything to do with Ubisoft's toxic upper management who didn't think games with female protagonists would sell.

You can really see this in the fact that most marketing material for Odyssey and Valhalla were all the male versions of the character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah one of the Odyssey devs said that it was just supposed to be Kass but higher ups insisted that there be a playable guy.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

christmas boots posted:

Are you thinking of that time they said they didn't put a female assassin in Unity because it was too hard to animate (or something along those lines)?

And then within a week of that, the devs for Sunset Overdrive revealed a female assassin skin for the game.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-20-you-can-be-a-female-assassin-in-sunset-overdrive

Go gently caress yourselves, Ubisoft. :allears:

Captain Hygiene posted:

I would be 100% on board for a game where Kassandra is out there as an accidental antagonist by constantly loving things up in her usual murder-happy fashion.

A game where you're at odd's with Kassandra because you both have differing goals and neither of you have the full side of what's going on does seem kind of plausible. Honestly, now that I think about it, Infinite is probably the best place to bring her back and they're probably going to have her show up somewhere in that.

christmas boots posted:

Remember that the game right before Odyssey was, at the time, the earliest set game in the franchise and even called "Origins". Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

...poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zil posted:

You can really see this in the fact that most marketing material for Odyssey and Valhalla were all the male versions of the character.

Which is really weird because Eivor is canonically female, the male version that gets picked up is the Odin precursor dude’s DNA.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zil posted:

Especially since Kassandra was *the* main character for Odyssey until a male character was mandated (e: :dumbrim:) in.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
See also: Aya running around doing all the really important assassin poo poo in the background.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Evie and Aya were both supposed to get a lot more emphasis but were sidelined (to varying extents).

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Even the crypt in 2 had female assassins in it.

Yeah and Revelations (and maybe Brotherhood?) had him recruit women into the order.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I really liked Bayek though tbh

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

christmas boots posted:

I really liked Bayek though tbh
:same:

His VA was great too in the batshit-crazy show Raised Among Wolves.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I wonder where rear end Creed is gonna go once they run out of time periods covered in high school world history

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

grittyreboot posted:

I wonder where rear end Creed is gonna go once they run out of time periods covered in high school world history

I mean your username is kinda what's going to happen. Dark and gritty reboot of the series.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zil posted:

I mean your username is kinda what's going to happen. Dark and gritty reboot of the series.

All they’d have to do is remake AC1 and put in the x-ray stab kills from the first teaser trailer, I’d be all over that poo poo.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Honestly, a remake of the first game with the sensibilities of the new ones would be pretty sick. AC1 was more of a tech demo than a game

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I still really want a Mayan AC, set at the height of empire.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The Lone Badger posted:

I still really want a Mayan AC, set at the height of empire.

Entire plotline about the Mayans predicting future events including the end of the world around 2012, got it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Entire plotline about the Mayans predicting future events including the end of the world around 2012, got it.

Would fit with the plot of the first 5 main AC games.

Unless :thejoke:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the assassins creed is that you have to have a modern day section and male protagonist

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Would fit with the plot of the first 5 main AC games.

Unless :thejoke:

The joke is partly that, and partly 'Assassin's Creed only hits the easily recognized parts of a historical city and time period'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Partway through you break their calendar and have to hastily reassemble it in a QTE.

You accidentally switch the last two numbers

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
talkin' 'bout Mayans reminds me of a thing I don't care for in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

So even though the game is predominantly set in Peru going through Incan tombs and even finding the legendary Incan city of Paititi, they throw in loads of Aztec and Mayan cultural artifacts and lore there as well. Not that you're travelling all over South American and encountering different cultures... no, 95% of the game is in Peru and you just happen to find loads of Aztec and Mayan stuff in amongst Incan ruins. At first glance it seems like the devs were just super lazy and created a mish-mash of various South American civilizations so they could cram as much lore they Googled into the game for collectibles (and it's easily the most bloated of the three in terms of just gathering non-story mission stuff). And you would be excused for assuming that since it seems like they got lazy in other places too, like how every person in the hidden city of Paititi that has been kept from the modern world for 400 years all speak fluent English, so that while you hear background dialogue in (presumably) Quechuan, they can all talk to Lara in flawless English.

But no. If you take the time to gather all of the bits of intel, the game's lore is that this particular location was a confluence of these three civilizations and they all happened to intersect in this region at different points in time, hence tombs of all three just being piled on top of one another. And also the evil Templar faction had infiltrated the hidden city's culture 400 years ago and was secretly influencing things to keep it hidden but also under their control, such as making sure everyone learned English for some reason.

Learning this doesn't come across in the main storyline so it's super easy to miss. But also it isn't so revelatory that it makes me think "oh wow, the devs thought of everything" because it still seems lazy and exploitative.

Oh well.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

grittyreboot posted:

Reboot of the series as Cassandra's Creed. Cassandra adventures her way through history, killing the protagonists and antagonists from previous games to stop all the present day bullshit from ever happening. Kinda like Quantum Leap, but with more stabbings and lesbianism.

e: how is Shadow of the Tomb Raider? I really enjoyed the first one, then found Rise to be dull and badly-written. Is Shadow worth a look?

Sunswipe has a new favorite as of 07:54 on Aug 31, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

e: how is Shadow of the Tomb Raider? I really enjoyed the first one, then found Rise to be dull and badly-written. Is Shadow worth a look?

Like Rise with less combat but a bit more bloat overall.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i really like the nu-Tomb Raider trilogy overall! first still feels like the best of them. very streamlined and punchy for an a semiopen world game. i liked the second as well... i agree that the storyline was dull and silly but i enjoyed the gameplay and bigger expanses.

the third really does just feel like the second one only more. i 100% all of them and it took me twice as long to do that for Shadow as it did Rise. and Shadow didnt add a lot of new gameplay to make it feel truly worthwhile. i mean it made inderwater exploration pretty fun but otherwise... yeah. lota of bloat.

i got it heavily discounted though so it still felt totally worthwhile for a mindless summer game. i did have just runnung around the jungle digging up gps caches.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

In Shadow, you can string dudes from trees on ropes like a Predator.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Neither of the sequels in that trilogy ever come close to the exhilaration of that part in the first one where you hear the panicked cultist yell "SHE'S GOT A MACHINEGUN!"

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Crowetron posted:

Neither of the sequels in that trilogy ever come close to the exhilaration of that part in the first one where you hear the panicked cultist yell "SHE'S GOT A MACHINEGUN!"

Grenade Launcher and that makes it so much better. :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I'm only going to forgive the AssCreed series if there's a public apology for Legacy of the First Blade.

That one DLC killed the series for me.

A real apology, not just renaming the achievement for completing it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Personally I'm just done with the series because I refuse to give money to Ubisoft ever again.

Same with Activision now too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Veotax posted:

Personally I'm just done with the series because I refuse to give money to Ubisoft ever again.

Same with Activision now too.

Thing dragging Warcraft 3 down: Activion-Blizzard hosed up so colossally hard that not only is pirating the game the morally right thing to do, it's also the actual best way to play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Evie and Aya were both supposed to get a lot more emphasis but were sidelined (to varying extents).

Until I played Odyssey, Evie was hands down my favorite AC character. Her takedowns in the "friendly" bare knuckle fights were insanely brutal. Her brother might kill you, but she'd ruin your loving life.

Cythereal posted:

Personally, I'm only going to forgive the AssCreed series if there's a public apology for Legacy of the First Blade.

That one DLC killed the series for me.

A real apology, not just renaming the achievement for completing it.

They kinda fixed it by changing the narrative reason for the kid as well as changing the achievement. Still not quite enough, but it's more than I'd expect from a large dev.