Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

ben shapino posted:

RSV doesn't risk filling up your ICUs and burning out your healthcare workforce. only a gigantic dipshit would think that's a good comparison. close the schools.

Actually RSV is a huge contributor to child ICU occupancy right now because lockdowns messed up its normal transmission pattern and it’s also surging.

The first source I happened upon from Texas a couple weeks ago:
“On Friday, Cook Children's reported it's seeing about 200 cases per week. This week, the DFW Hospital Council reported 150 pediatric patients on ventilators, but only 66 pediatric COVID hospitalizations, citing an "unusual" number of RSV patients for the season. “

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

asdf32 posted:

Actually RSV is a huge contributor to child ICU occupancy right now because lockdowns messed up its normal transmission pattern and it’s also surging.

The first source I happened upon from Texas a couple weeks ago:
“On Friday, Cook Children's reported it's seeing about 200 cases per week. This week, the DFW Hospital Council reported 150 pediatric patients on ventilators, but only 66 pediatric COVID hospitalizations, citing an "unusual" number of RSV patients for the season. “

:actually: close the schools

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Going to regret this, but how does a lockdown increase transmission?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

asdf32 posted:

Or follow the science that says closing schools is one of the worst things to do for a host of reasons.
:wrong:

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

"the science" being a NY times opinion article written by an economic policy adviser with 0 input from healthcare professionals

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

asdf32 posted:

Or follow the science that says closing schools is one of the worst things to do for a host of reasons.

At least with the Candyman you have to say his name before he turns up.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

following the science

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOW_kPzY_JY

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

asdf32 posted:

Stanning for the coronavirus is a bold stylistic choice for trolling style.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

where does the thread title come from?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
lmao

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

asdf32 posted:

What normal have you lived in? RSV kills hundreds a year and plummeted during covid quarantine meaning it’s preventable. Cars bikes and water (preventable accidents) are generally the biggest killers of kids.

Normal can’t and shouldn’t mean zero risk.

Hundreds of childhood deaths per year from RSV is sad, but if you think that's comparable to something that's killed six hundred thousand individuals in the US in the last two years, you're incomprehensibly stupid. Until such point as covid vaccinations for children are approved and mandatory, closing schools protects children and adults alike, and trying to play it off as some sort of intolerable mental anguish for children is both asinine and myopic.

P.S. nobody is saying "zero risk" in the first place, but just as a thought exercise, how much risk would it take for you to actually give a poo poo about the safety of your children?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ben shapino posted:

Ligma balls

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ben shapino posted:

ikanreed posted:

Ligma balls

And the second half:

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

DickParasite posted:

And the second half:

Wow i just read that guys meltdown and it's next level. Very pro read around page 144.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

lol that's not even a little bit accurate, please stop making GBS threads on my profession with your lovely opinions

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

smoobles posted:

I frequently wonder how this pandemic would've unfolded if the virus predominantly killed kids and not the elderly.

We'll all get to find out together. I saw one chart that predicted incredibly high infection numbers for kids this year. But we gotta increase shareholder value somehow, just send them on their way and hope for the best.

I wonder how alcohol sales have been for the last 18 months and whether the last month has seen a sharp, upward spike?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

smoobles posted:

I will never catch covid (coronavirus)

Well you got to lower its health before you throw your ball. I suppose you could use a master ball if you wanted assuming you're a one percenter.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 31, 2021

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

We'll all get to find out together. I saw one chart that predicted incredibly high infection numbers for kids this year. But we gotta increase shareholder value somehow, just send them on their way and hope for the best.

I wonder how alcohol sales have been for the last 18 months and whether the last month has seen a sharp, upward spike?

My own alcohol sales in the last 18 months have probably been enough to raise the national average by 10%

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Zugzwang posted:

A paper came out from an Australian group early in the pandemic showing that ivermectin kills the virus in a lab setting. This was when people worldwide were trying absolutely anything because there were no treatments. Sometimes this approach bore fruit; dexamethasone, an old steroid drug, was found to help mitigate severe covid. Trying already-approved drugs is an attractive approach because they’d already passed safety trials in humans.

At some point, prominent grifters started promoting it, including the crank former biology professor Bret Weinstein. Bret is buddies with Joe Rogan and managed to get Rogan to do an emergency podcast episode on why ivermectin can literally save the world. Did I mention that Weinstein is a crank and a hack with little understanding of actual science? But he’s a compelling speaker and storyteller and was given a platform on the biggest podcast in the world, with a credulous interviewer.

Anyway, ivermectin does have real antiviral activity in the lab, but the problem is that the amount required to inhibit/kill the virus is orders of magnitude more than you can get into your body, especially safely. It also does have legitimate uses in humans, but at tiny doses compared to what people are getting when they’re ingesting stuff meant for goddamn horses.

My best guess for why it’s popular amongst MAGA types is that the vaccines and masks are popular amongst liberals, and everything is politicized in our hyperbolically dumb country.

Chuds fear the doctor like all poor people fear the doctor, so a medicine thats been touted as a 'common sense' remedy by Da Interwebz is like catnip, especially when it is (or at least was) readily available and inexpensive.
Normally, nobody really gives a poo poo when Karen is trying to heal her breast cancer with chakras and vitamin C. Even Karen is still going to hedge her bets with surgery and radiation or chemotherapy, and while dummies turned themselves blue with colloidal silver, there wasn't a real drawback. Doctors could play along without upsetting the crazies, and if they were pushed they could point to the mountain of non-evidence that rosewater does anything. Of course the reason nobody cared is because rosewater didn't consume additional hospital resources, or make people around Karen catch breast cancer.

That engagement model / old people Reader's Digest grift was crashed by covid. The unavailability of treatments as you mentioned,. Mis-diagnosing covid as the flu or pneumonia, making a intuitive comparison to treat them similarly or that they were from a similar infection/weakness of immune system, which plays on chud's hatred of weakness. Of course a massive disinformation campaign from the Trimpf administration and the information-sewer of social media downplayed the seriousness of the virus, upplayed the hayseed hedge magic cures, and basically just poo poo in the brainwater of everyone involved. And as you said - unlike every essential oil or aromatherapy before this, there was a sliver of medical truth to the treatments. Factor in the incredible selfishness of chuds, mixed in with oppositional defiant disorder and now you'll never willingly get a chud to take a mask seriously. Add this on top of the ongoing culture/information war where people believe JFK jr is alive and somehow going to stop all the pedophiles, and this is what happens. Scientists created a miraculous vaccine in a very short period time, a Manhattan project of existing biotech to both create an effective vaccine and to produce it on scale, and it just plowed right into the pre-existing grift structures of anti-vax/anti-science and home remedies.

The grift is a hydra - ban Ivermectin sales nationwide and pull it from the store, and immediately a new fake treatment will arise while also people will be selling Ivermectin for 200 dollars a mg. People are still pushing hydroxychloroquine. I'm sure right now a chud grifter is feverishly researching a medicine or combination of chemicals from under the sink that is generally available, rated safe for humans in some capacity, and wont immediately kill the mark.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aussie cops are getting really miffed about people trying "one weird trick" to sneak out of covid lockdown restrictions. This guy thought a fake media card would fool the cops but they actually went and googled the "news organisation" he claimed he worked for and weren't having any of it

https://twitter.com/sexenheimer/status/1432570434801733632

Strong "Son, I'm not mad I'm just disappointed" energy. :v:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

lol that's not even a little bit accurate, please stop making GBS threads on my profession with your lovely opinions

The costs are high and the benefits are low. On the list of covid responses it’s about the worst.

It’s the ivermectin of covid policy response, but worse and has become a winning argument in this thread.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 31, 2021

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

asdf32 posted:

The costs are high and the benefits are low. On the list of covid responses it’s about the worst.

It’s the ivermectin of covid policy response, but worse and has become a winning argument in this thread.

Realistically, how do you keep schools open right now when:

1) The majority of kids cannot be vaccinated
2) You have multiple school districts refusing to institute mask mandates for fear of parent backlash
3) Kids are still mingling with other family members outside of school, who may or may not be vaccinated or taking any precautions at all

It's easy to say it's bad but what is the alternative here.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

Realistically, how do you keep schools open right now when:

1) The majority of kids cannot be vaccinated
2) You have multiple school districts refusing to institute mask mandates for fear of parent backlash
3) Kids are still mingling with other family members outside of school, who may or may not be vaccinated or taking any precautions at all

It's easy to say it's bad but what is the alternative here.

Red states won’t shut down schools but even if we’re arguing about policy they won’t implement or proposing national restrictions shutting down schools is the worst among a large number of policy options you’d turn to first (masks, venue shutdowns etc).

So of course there are other options. Pick the good ones. And fight people proposing bad ones for the wrong reasons.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
feeling really loving happy that I switched to teaching high school from elementary school this year. I teach in a town where a lot of people work in the pharmeceutical industry and aren't white, so vaccines and masks are very common.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of replies here that I don't have time to read but are people still getting infected? If so, is anything being done to stop it? Thanks

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
yes but only bad people. good people dont.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

yes but only bad people. good people dont.

Yeah the White House has made it very clear that since vaccination is a personal choice this is now a "pandemic of the unvaccinated" they forgot about kids and people who legit can't get vaxxed for medical reasons

https://twitter.com/potus/status/1421931307341332480?lang=en

They're trying to pull that same bullshit messaging in Australia but we don't have the vaxx availability and there's still millions of people who can't get a vaxx appointment so it's not going over well. :v:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Aussie cops are getting really miffed about people trying "one weird trick" to sneak out of covid lockdown restrictions. This guy thought a fake media card would fool the cops but they actually went and googled the "news organisation" he claimed he worked for and weren't having any of it

It's too weird seeing someone in a cop uniform genuinely concerned for human life

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

rt4 posted:

There's a lot of replies here that I don't have time to read but are people still getting infected? If so, is anything being done to stop it? Thanks

Delta variant has increased cases everywhere and the response has varied from tightening restrictions to variations of "actually it's fine, here's my idiot explanation loosely based on 'science' and reliant on statistical fallacy".

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

rt4 posted:

the latest: roughly 4.5 million worldwide have gone out like stan chera

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ikanreed posted:

It's too weird seeing someone in a cop uniform genuinely concerned for human life

I mean, he's still obviously getting off on wielding authority over someone who can't do anything about it. At least in this case it's in the service of something worthwhile

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That was a father patiently talking to a disobedient child, you could see the man visibly wilting under the voice of common sense.... it was beautiful.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ikanreed posted:

NZ cops are even more like that *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEAHLFvD3v4

* when cameras are rolling, same as Aus cops

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

There is no legitimate "medical exception" to the COVID-19 vaccines that does not apply to vaccines in general (severe allergy, Guillain-Barre Syndrome).

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

TengenNewsEditor posted:

There is no legitimate "medical exception" to the COVID-19 vaccines that does not apply to vaccines in general (severe allergy, Guillain-Barre Syndrome).

religious exemption :science:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I've seen a lot of local morons arguing that they should have a religious exemption to mask mandates, then getting angry when most businesses basically say "What the hell are you talking about?"

My question is - is there anything actually valid to a religious exemption for masks? And if there's not (as I'm assuming), what scripture or whatever are people arguing precludes them from wearing a mask?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lmao at letting my kids be taken to school by some rando UBer driver, lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

A Fancy Hat posted:

I've seen a lot of local morons arguing that they should have a religious exemption to mask mandates, then getting angry when most businesses basically say "What the hell are you talking about?"

My question is - is there anything actually valid to a religious exemption for masks? And if there's not (as I'm assuming), what scripture or whatever are people arguing precludes them from wearing a mask?

lmao religious exemption for masks is just them trying to push the boundaries of religious exemptions for going to school without vaccines, which is also just a load of loving poo poo but one that's now codified in law

we used to make religious exemption jokes when one of us got in trouble for wearing something like a cannibal corpse shirt to high school and I am 35 years old

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

asdf32 posted:

Red states won’t shut down schools but even if we’re arguing about policy they won’t implement or proposing national restrictions shutting down schools is the worst among a large number of policy options you’d turn to first (masks, venue shutdowns etc).

Please stop posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

The bible commands its followers that in times of sickness everyone should wear a cloth covering over their faces and maintain distance from one another until the disease passes so to answer your question its in the book of gently caress You, Got Mine Chapter 6 Verses 5-8