Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Obligatory shout out to Aeropress and mokka pots to make really strong coffee as a base for milk drinks

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I’ve been using v60 at home for brewing for the last year and a half, but now I’m back to the office a couple of days a week I could do with something for there too. Been looking at the clever coffee dripper as it looks like it’ll be easier to use with a static hot water boiler, compared to a v60.

It looks like there are two sizes, does it make a significant difference which one I pick? I’ll probably be doing single cup brews most of the time but may need to do 2-cups occasionally, but I’m not averse to just brewing 2x 1 cup, if the single cup is a better option for me most of the time.

Any recipe/brewing guides recommended?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bandire posted:

That price range will not get you a single machine with an enjoyable experience making back to back milk drinks. Honestly I don't know that its a good idea spending more than that on your first setup anyway. People here love to recommend manual machines to save money, but that comes with a different set of problems you'd want to read up on. One of those being you're back at having to come up with a way to steam milk.

I'd say look at a Gaggia Classic Pro or Rancilio Silvia, and then get an automatic frothing pitcher to go with it. That's what I did (Gaggia) when I ultimately decided against paying $1500+ on a "real" espresso machine. I'm pretty happy with the GCP at the moment.

There's no future proofing against the espresso money chasm, so I'd say don't skip steps and just try to find your "good enough" and stop there.

I've had a Silvia for like 8 years and am growing tempted to get a separate milk frother. I gave up on using the steam wand years ago unless company really wants something.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I’ve been using v60 at home for brewing for the last year and a half, but now I’m back to the office a couple of days a week I could do with something for there too. Been looking at the clever coffee dripper as it looks like it’ll be easier to use with a static hot water boiler, compared to a v60.

It looks like there are two sizes, does it make a significant difference which one I pick? I’ll probably be doing single cup brews most of the time but may need to do 2-cups occasionally, but I’m not averse to just brewing 2x 1 cup, if the single cup is a better option for me most of the time.

Any recipe/brewing guides recommended?

I just picked the larger one and use 300ml water typically. I've scaled up a few times into the 450ml range but I wouldn't go much higher. As far as I know there's no explicit downside to brewing small cups in the larger Clever other than it taking up slightly more space at your desk.

As for recipes I just followed the included instructions for a while and then switched to Hoffman's technique of pouring the water first and then adding the grounds. It definitely drains much better that way.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

I've had a Silvia for like 8 years and am growing tempted to get a separate milk frother. I gave up on using the steam wand years ago unless company really wants something.

Shhh... But me too. We just don't want milk drinks often enough for it to be worth the space in the kitchen. So the steam wand only gets a work out maybe a dozen times a year. It does work fine, but I'm getting to the point where I'd want a dual-boiler if we started doing more of that.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Nephzinho posted:

I never spent the time to learn how to froth milk well with a steam wand, but my frother does a decent enough job. It saves time and effort over even a dual boiler setup. Just add milk and press the button and go on about making the shot(s).

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

The Postman posted:

I just picked the larger one and use 300ml water typically. I've scaled up a few times into the 450ml range but I wouldn't go much higher.

I also have the larger one but manage to push it to 500ml. This fills nearly the entire dripper but let's me maximize the size of the two cups I'm making.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

My niche arrived! Am waiting to finish this bag of beans before switching over, to avoid re-dialing the current lot in. Still can anyone with one recommend a good guess of a number at which to start dialing in light roasts?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

For what brew method?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Gunder posted:

For what brew method?

Oh, sorry. Espresso. Have had an encore for many years for pour over, the niche is just replacing my G60 now that I'm regularly single-dosing.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Generally, I'm somewhere around 10 for lighter roasts, although that's assuming you have a good quality precision basket. For normal baskets, you'll most likely be closer to 20.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Yup, Linea mini with 58mm bottomless portafilter. Grinder had been my performance bottleneck due to retention, not the machine (thus the niche). Thanks!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I noticed that once I started using the Flare 58 puck screen that I needed to grind a bit coarser than normal, so if you're using one of those then you may find that you have to grind coarser than I have suggested.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
To all those who offered advice earlier, thank you.

We have upped our budget and are currently looking at the Rocket Apartmento (provided we can get a deal from a friend) or the Lelit MaraX.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

We have upped our budget and are currently looking at the Rocket Apartmento (provided we can get a deal from a friend) or the Lelit MaraX.

I will say, as someone who used to own an Appartamento, I wish I had bought the cheaper Mara X instead. I only ever really make light roasts, and the temperature stability that the Mara offers would have been very helpful.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

the mara x is an excellent little machine (i still have to sell mine)

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Can I try to pitch a sale for this Sette 270Wi? Thinking about selling it so I can clear out space for an upgrade but haven't actually got around to it yet.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

How much were you thinking and what don’t you like about it? :haw:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Hauki posted:

How much were you thinking and what don’t you like about it? :haw:

I'm shooting for 400 USD (MSRP is 600). It works fine, it was a direct refurb from Baratza pre-acquisition (they even gave it to me instead of repairing the 270 I had before it!) but it's just kinda noisy and I'd prefer a change of pace.

The Acaia scale inside of it is a little pointless since I single dose most of the time and when I did fill the hopper it had a tendency to do odd things with the sensor. It produces fine espresso grinds, very fluffy and easy to tamp with. Since I have a smaller portafilter using a La Pavoni Professional, it also tends to get slightly messier as a result (volcano effect and such).

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

My local roaster went out of business, so I bought a Behmor and figured I’d give it a try.

I find it difficult to hear the cracks, and likely under roasted this one. But, it’s a start

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

hypnophant posted:

Please note that the porlex has the same ceramic burrs as the cheaper hario manual grinders, despite its higher price. You’re getting close to the price range of some hand grinders with much better steel burrs like the aergrind or 1zpresso q2, which would be very noticeable upgrades in both grind quality and grinding speed.

Thanks, I ended up spending the extra $30 on a q2!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Nuurd posted:

My local roaster went out of business, so I bought a Behmor and figured I’d give it a try.

I find it difficult to hear the cracks, and likely under roasted this one. But, it’s a start

Cool!

I own half a Behmor that's sitting in storage somewhere, should do something about it.

I'm battling microchannelling in my espresso at the moment. Grinder is an Option-O Lagom P64 and machine is a Izzo Vivi PID (So, E61.)

It's not big, gushing, blatant channels but rather microjets that make a mess. Shots come out OK otherwise. Ideas? I RDT and WDT.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Finally got some cloth filters. Has anybody stuck with these?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

The Postman posted:

I went back to paper because:

-cloth drained too fast, if I ground fine enough to get good extraction and strength it got bitter and astringent. Could probably dial it in with a lot of patience but in general it was pretty finicky.
-it takes effort to clean that paper doesn’t. Not a ton of effort but when you can just toss the paper filter and rinse out the V60 in 15 seconds and run it through the dishwasher when it starts to get stained, the 90 seconds or so of cleaning the cloth filter every day feels like a big hassle.

I kind of want to get a Switch to try with the first issue.

Related filter chat:

Has anybody had issues with Cafec filters lately? I got a pack of Light Roast filters that clogs like crazy. They used to drain about as fast as regular V60 but now they seem to get stuck no matter how coarse I go. I went back to regular V60 filters with no issues.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Postman posted:

I have, I really enjoy the coffee I get out of them although I mostly get lighter roasts anyways.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Nuurd posted:

You can open the door briefly to better hear the first crack. Kind of like muffled popcorn or dog farts. Smells better, obv. Behmor takes some practice and plenty of ventilation!

edit- and for a roast you feel is too light, you can always roast it again, but have to be really vigilant.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, the behmor kinda sucks for that as it is kind of loud and you have to stick your face right in it to hear the cracks. One time some weird varietal I almost never buy had a completely inaudible first crack and I scorched it all the way to what starbucks would probably sell as a medium roast :haw:

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. Mambold posted:

edit- and for a roast you feel is too light, you can always roast it again, but have to be really vigilant.

Ehh.. don't do this (edit: unless for an experiment). For anything past the first third of the roast (so after yellow transition) you've already started all the reactions that happen during roasting as well as having a ton less water content. You can't start those reactions again, you'll probably be getting something that tastes like wood.

dedian fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 4, 2021

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I tried making a pour over of some of the espresso limited beans at the local coffee house with the baristas and I think I may have accidentally sparked some reconsiderinf if that should also be a pour over.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

dedian posted:

Ehh.. don't do this (edit: unless for an experiment). For anything past the first third of the roast (so after yellow transition) you've already started all the reactions that happen during roasting as well as having a ton less water content. You can't start those reactions again, you'll probably be getting something that tastes like wood.

i believe the official take from sweetmaria's was basically 'you might be able to make undrinkably green beans good enough to at least make cold brew with, but don't hope for much more'

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

dedian posted:

Have you tried it? Because I have, and it does not taste like wood. But, it's real easy to overcook too.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Anyone else feel that they don't like drinking coffee from a thermos flask? I don't know whether this is just sensory memory associations fooling me or if a thermos can genuinely make the taste experience worse, albeit indirectly.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Your thermos is probably dirty as poo poo inside.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Lord Stimperor posted:

Anyone else feel that they don't like drinking coffee from a thermos flask? I don't know whether this is just sensory memory associations fooling me or if a thermos can genuinely make the taste experience worse, albeit indirectly.

I find any container which inhibits the smell makes coffee a worse experience

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are you drinking straight from the thermos? If so then you are missing the smell component of the coffee.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Check out the zojirushi with the coating (not the raw stainless steel).

In addition to insane temperature retention, I find that as long as you’re using a bottle brush to clean it it barely holds onto smell. I exclusively drink coffee out of it and can still get away with water even with just a rinse.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I always find that coffee tastes significantly worse from any sort of container that's not a glass/mug. When I would take my morning pour-over into the office with me in a travel mug, I'd always decant it into a normal mug before drinking it, and it would taste a lot better that way.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gunder posted:

I always find that coffee tastes significantly worse from any sort of container that's not a glass/mug. When I would take my morning pour-over into the office with me in a travel mug, I'd always decant it into a normal mug before drinking it, and it would taste a lot better that way.

I prefer glass travel cups for this reason I guess, never occurred to me till now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lord Stimperor posted:

Yes, I only love drinking from my ceramic or glass mugs. I have zojirushi, hydroflask, and klean kanteen vacuum mugs and they all impart that different taste to it.