Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Boxee Box was terrible. Thing shipped without the ability to stream Netflix, the "it supports flash so it'll stream all that free content to your TV" thing got pantsed within days by the streaming services you actually want going "oh ho ho no, you're gonna pay to watch on something that's not a computer," the local media streaming was jank as gently caress because that end of it was some goofy XBMC fork that loved crashing, and the box was ugly.

Y'all are trying to rewrite history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TheScott2K posted:

Boxee Box was terrible. Thing shipped without the ability to stream Netflix, the "it supports flash so it'll stream all that free content to your TV" thing got pantsed within days by the streaming services you actually want going "oh ho ho no, you're gonna pay to watch on something that's not a computer," the local media streaming was jank as gently caress because that end of it was some goofy XBMC fork that loved crashing, and the box was ugly.

Y'all are trying to rewrite history.

We aren't being serious...

But

quote:

and the box was ugly

This is wrong.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

BonoMan posted:

We aren't being serious...

But

This is wrong.

Boxee Box is so ugly it makes the ShieldTV seem fine

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I guess I just needed to complain in this thread. I was watching one of their new series' today and noticed a 4K badge when it was paused and checked and sure enough.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RevKrule posted:

I guess I just needed to complain in this thread. I was watching one of their new series' today and noticed a 4K badge when it was paused and checked and sure enough.

What's the complaint?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

BonoMan posted:

What's the complaint?

That they were leaving shield owners out in the cold. Like last week or the week before I checked and the app was still 1080p but as of checking this morning, the android tv app for nvidia shield is 4K compatible.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RevKrule posted:

That they were leaving shield owners out in the cold. Like last week or the week before I checked and the app was still 1080p but as of checking this morning, the android tv app for nvidia shield is 4K compatible.

Ohhhhh. I misread. "I guess I just need to complain in this thread" meaning "as soon as I mention it it gets fixed..." - I thought you were posting that as a complaint. Ignore me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

4k, but no HDR.

They've also changed the Hulu Originals bug to an opaque yellow which is going to make it a no go for me watching anything on my OLED.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I held on to my Boxee Box as long as I could but ultimately had to chuck it when only Netflix worked on it (I didn't have that at the time). A pity

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Locast shut down today as they lost their court case against the big 4 OTA networks. If you don’t know what they did, they were a company that rebroadcast local channels via an app for a $5/mo “donation”.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/09/locasts-free-tv-service-is-in-peril-as-big-4-networks-win-copyright-ruling/

Can’t say I’m surprised based on how Aereo went but it seems like they tried to fit into a very narrow copyright exemption and made too much money in the process, at least that was the judges reasoning.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 2, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yesterday they put a halt to the interruptions to ask for money but I guess it was too little too late. Nationalize online streaming of local broadcasts.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
drat. I used Locast a lot. That really sucks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This loving sucks. I don't get antenna reception where I am and I was loving Locast.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Same, the only way I was able to sell cutting the cord was locast. Now my wife is mad(luckily not at me).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Does anyone know if Spectrum has a hidden barebones local channel only package? The only thing I can find on their site is Spectrum Select which is their version of basic cable.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does anyone know if Spectrum has a hidden barebones local channel only package? The only thing I can find on their site is Spectrum Select which is their version of basic cable.

It's called buy an antenna and tell Time Warner to kick rocks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jose Oquendo posted:

I feel like they did at one time at least. In my experience you have to call them up to get any actually useful plan info. It’s amazing how abstractly they hide everything on the site and such. Luckily in my experience the service people are very helpful and don’t jerk you around like 99% of others I’ve dealt with.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Locast news is very disappointing.

Is there a way to wireless transmit between two coax? I have a cable line (basic channels only) coming in on one side of a room, with a TV on the other side. Rather than running cable across the room I'm wondering if I can just wirelessly transmit from the coax cable (male) coming out of my wall?

Weaponized Autism fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 2, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

It's called buy an antenna and tell Time Warner to kick rocks.

I have tried but I live in an area where I cannot pick up any stations with an antenna.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you search for "<cable name> rate card" you can find a list of every cable package and ISP service they offer and the pricing. They are required to offer this info in an easy to read format and some sales page.
Here's Spectrum's rate card: https://www.spectrum.com/policies/rate-card. Doesn't looks like they have a local only package, at least on the cable side.

Spectrum does offer a couple different IPTV/Streaming packages, one of them is called Spectrum Choice and it comes with all local stations plus your choice of 10 channels. This is the package I use at home for all my local and live TV server. It costs around $25+$13 "broadcast TV surcharge" so $38/mo for just local channels might be too much to swallow if you don't want the other stations in the package.
https://www.thestreamingadvisor.com/spectrum-tv-choice/

There's also another package around the same price with locals that comes with a bunch of other channels that you can't pick. That's called Spectrum Stream
https://www.thestreamingadvisor.com/spectrum-tv-stream/

Finding these packages on the website is a nightmare and they don't even tell you the channels included until you are deep into the checkout process so good luck.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thanks for that info. Before I read that, I just finished up talking to Spectrum. The person I talked to was able to stack some promos and poo poo (or so he said) so I get the Spectrum Select package for an additional $30 or so. Not bad. I don't need to get a cable box or anything.

I did ask them about Spectrum Choice but apparently that is not available in my area. I don't think the TV Stream is either. They didn't say anything about it.

I can live with that.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Luceo posted:

I buy NFL Gamepass International with a VPN and cast it to my TV. You can even drop the VPN connection after the game starts.

What's the best country to do for this?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The trick used to be to find the country whose currency has crashed the most since the price was locked in. Not sure if that’s still the same. Brazil was always a popular choice from memory.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

yeah, I bought it "in Brazil" but for streaming, I just use Mexico.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

The trick used to be to find the country whose currency has crashed the most since the price was locked in. Not sure if that’s still the same. Brazil was always a popular choice from memory.

Signed up in Brazil for $75 for the year and haven't had problem yet, thanks

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Something interesting with YouTube Tv I never noticed.

I just turned on a football game on network tv and there was:

Watch from Beginning
Join Live
And
Catch Up to Live Through Key Plays

Pretty cool feature!

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

BonoMan posted:

Something interesting with YouTube Tv I never noticed.

I just turned on a football game on network tv and there was:

Watch from Beginning
Join Live
And
Catch Up to Live Through Key Plays

Pretty cool feature!

It might be because you added a team to your library. If you flip channels between games it might drive you nuts. I did it for my baseball team and it was super annoying to have to select join live when I would flip to something else during commercials.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

It might be because you added a team to your library. If you flip channels between games it might drive you nuts. I did it for my baseball team and it was super annoying to have to select join live when I would flip to something else during commercials.

Hmm I think you're right. I just moved to Raleigh and I think I added the Panthers at some point.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Yeah, any games that you dvr or follow will do that. It is very useful if you are switching between two important games. It is not when you are checking something out between commercials.

It is also irritating when you mean to start from the beginning of a game but hit join live and you have to rewind all the way to the beginning.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yeah, any games that you dvr or follow will do that. It is very useful if you are switching between two important games. It is not when you are checking something out between commercials.

It is also irritating when you mean to start from the beginning of a game but hit join live and you have to rewind all the way to the beginning.

Well I was just talking about the key plays feature... That was cool. I was aware of the other dvr stuff.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Gotcha!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

If you flip through previous channels through the quick menu (usually hitting down arrow twice), rather than the live guide, you don't get the extra selection screen for join live or start from beginning/last watched.

This is also helpful if you're annoyed when it pauses for poo poo it thinks is meant for children (for some reason it's started doing that with Adult Swim programming).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sling having floated the option of integration into AndroidTV as a channel source and never actually doing it drives me batty.

Meanwhile the Chromecast TV does it don’t and it’s great. Dammit.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I like having all those random Pluto channels in my Android tv channels app after the OTA ones. Almost like actual cable

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
After having my cable bill jump for the second time since Covid started, I was looking to switch over to a live streaming TV service and was looking at Hulu until I found this thread and read the past few pages. I'm using an LG CX but I had a couple quick questions.

It seems like Youtube TV might be a better choice for me channels-wise, although I see that Hulu added HDR in the past month or two; I'm not springing for 4k, but does the regular YTTV support HDR, 5.1, etc?

The Youtube TV FAQ page says that I get 6 accounts to share with members of my household. Does that mean everyone has to be at the same address? I'm in CA, can I give my parents on the east coast an account so they can watch TV when they're at their vacation home? Is Youtube checking to the geographical location of the streams?

I know nothing about Nvidia Shield, chromecast, FireTV, etc as I've always just watched cable straight to my TV. Is there any reason for me to look into any other devices? Like what do these products do that would be an improvement over just opening the app on my LG TV?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If you're happy with your built in apps then don't worry about a box.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
We have a Chromecast because our main TV is so slow that the apps are almost useless. So as long as you like the built in apps, no other need for an extra yeah.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Listerine posted:

The Youtube TV FAQ page says that I get 6 accounts to share with members of my household. Does that mean everyone has to be at the same address? I'm in CA, can I give my parents on the east coast an account so they can watch TV when they're at their vacation home? Is Youtube checking to the geographical location of the streams?

I share mine with my mom about 70 miles away without issue. That's not coast to coast, but I don't think they are being super anal about enforcing it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
There is definitely a geofence. I just moved from Mississippi to North Carolina and had to update my location. But I think it just affects your local channels. So one coast will get the others channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

BonoMan posted:

There is definitely a geofence. I just moved from Mississippi to North Carolina and had to update my location. But I think it just affects your local channels. So one coast will get the others channels.

I think that you would have to log into their account and watch something from your area every month or so.

When I have traveled and watched stuff from YTV, it just reminds me that I have to go back to that area after a while.