Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

why would you threadban one of the most fun posters in the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

I briefly tried posting in the covid subreddit early this summer and quit after getting aggressively downvoted for saying that people should wear masks even if vaccinated or that delta might gently caress things up in the US.

To be fair people in this thread were calling those opinions doomposting, as though posting about the bad poo poo coming around the corner is a bad thing

Wouldn't want people to be worried about the pandemic that's filling the morgues lol

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

My friend in Virginia went to the doctor today for a COVID test because she has cold symptoms and her daughter just started kindergarten last week. She joked around with the physician and said "hey, the course of treatment isn't ivermectin is it?" and he looked her dead in the eye and said, "oh no, only if this test is positive and your o2 sats are low." He also called her "love" the whole appointment.

Her child is also sick, but pediatrician refused to test because low-grade fever, sore throat and new onset cough apparently aren't enough to warrant it. Principal said get a rapid test from Walgreens and send her back in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dren posted:

I thought monoclonal antibodies weren't indicated for vaccinated people? Couldn't you just get vaccinated and save yourself a lot of trouble?

You just have to have BMI greater than twenty‐five.

See slides 11 & 12.

https://www.phe.gov/emergency/events/COVID19/investigation-MCM/Documents/USG-COVID19-Tx-Playbook.pdf

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Dren posted:

I thought monoclonal antibodies weren't indicated for vaccinated people? Couldn't you just get vaccinated and save yourself a lot of trouble?

I'm vaccinated including a third booster. They're still indicated for people who are particularly high risk (immunocompromised, certain comorbidities, etc...).

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/therapies/anti-sars-cov-2-antibody-products/anti-sars-cov-2-monoclonal-antibodies/

quote:

For people who develop COVID-19 after receiving SARS-CoV-2 vaccination, prior vaccination should not affect treatment decisions, including the use of and timing of treatment with monoclonal antibodies.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Scarodactyl posted:

SA mods have gotten weirdly timid. I can't imagine looking at such obvious trolling and thinking a couple probes are sufficient instead of a threadban.

I agree and can’t understand why we tolerate casual suggestions of nationwide school shutdowns when we know the policy is massively dangerous and not justified by the evidence or realistic in the vast majority of regions. It’s pretty hosed.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

amethystbliss posted:

My friend in Virginia went to the doctor today for a COVID test because she has cold symptoms and her daughter just started kindergarten last week. She joked around with the physician and said "hey, the course of treatment isn't ivermectin is it?" and he looked her dead in the eye and said, "oh no, only if this test is positive and your o2 sats are low." He also called her "love" the whole appointment.

Her child is also sick, but pediatrician refused to test because low-grade fever, sore throat and new onset cough apparently aren't enough to warrant it. Principal said get a rapid test from Walgreens and send her back in.

The medical community giving legitimacy to crackpot bullshit will never cease to infuriate me.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

asdf32 posted:

I agree and can’t understand why we tolerate casual suggestions of nationwide school shutdowns when we know the policy is massively dangerous and not justified by the evidence or realistic in the vast majority of regions. It’s pretty hosed.

Oh good lord. You have absolutely ignored contrary evidence to your idiotic interpretation and just regurgitate the same bullshit over and over. Get hosed.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

The medical community giving legitimacy to crackpot bullshit will never cease to infuriate me.

The teaching pharmacy at the UT School for Pharmacy sold homeopathic cures while I was there. I asked the pharmacist in charge if they were willing to sell healing crystals as well.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Oh good lord. You have absolutely ignored contrary evidence to your idiotic interpretation and just regurgitate the same bullshit over and over. Get hosed.

Yeah post it or any major institution or research backing nationwide shutdowns. I’m not talking about temporary shutdowns in response to an outbreak.

I’m talking about the tolerance this thread has for people saying to shut everything down (white privileged childless people no less).

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Could have spent the last 18 months coming up with actual ways to make school safe, but instead people like Oster and this dumb idiot posting in this thread got their way.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

asdf32 posted:

Yeah post it or any major institution or research backing nationwide shutdowns. I’m not talking about temporary shutdowns in response to an outbreak.

I’m talking about the tolerance this thread has for people saying to shut everything down (white privileged childless people no less).

close the schools. i don't care how jealous you are of childless people.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
We have to follow the science on schools, and the only way to do science is to get data. The data in this case involve sending children into schools with delta running rampant and seeing what happens. Therefore,,

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

asdf32 posted:

We've always sent out kids to the mines why should we stop?

That's an excellent point you're very smart and wise and a super good parent. It's a healthy cough, expels the demons.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Blood alone moves the wheels of history!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Almost a clichéd point by now, but after Sandy Hook nobody should have been under the delusion that the nebulous concept of "lots of kids getting sick or even dying" would motivate any US legislature to do precisely anything

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

That's an excellent point you're very smart and wise and a super good parent. It's a healthy cough, expels the demons.

If you’re at a point of comparing schools to mines you’re probably not where you actually want to be. Take a look around.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Zugzwang posted:

I briefly tried posting in the covid subreddit early this summer and quit after getting aggressively downvoted for saying that people should wear masks even if vaccinated or that delta might gently caress things up in the US.

I finally unsubbed to the covid reddit when they were all gleefully celebrating landlord's rights when the supreme court ended the moratorium

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Looks like Europe is aiming reclassify this as Endemic, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhRb5hnTseU it's here to stay.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

asdf32 posted:

If you’re at a point of comparing schools to mines you’re probably not where you actually want to be. Take a look around.

Look I realize it wasn't flanged but you have to understand at the time I didn't have a choice. Like you know how much premium flanged silicone is? Yeah how dare you judge me and suggest it was a bad idea. HOW DARE YOU! In fact my glass bottle is the superior choice anyway. Cheap, reusable, accessible.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 31, 2021

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

The teaching pharmacy at the UT School for Pharmacy sold homeopathic cures while I was there. I asked the pharmacist in charge if they were willing to sell healing crystals as well.

This is just like when CVS stopped carrying cigarettes and tobacco products for health reasons but left all the homeopathic crap.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

asdf32 posted:

yeah, there's no way to work at a mine remotely, but that's not true for schools. very poor comparison indeed.

ben shapino fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 31, 2021

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

smoobles posted:

I finally unsubbed to the covid reddit when they were all gleefully celebrating landlord's rights when the supreme court ended the moratorium
Gross.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Looks like Europe is aiming reclassify this as Endemic, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhRb5hnTseU it's here to stay.
lol that China, NZ, etc will be covid-free, while the rest of the world will be one giant leper colony because the powers that be have given up on containing it and our media is either ignoring it or in full consent manufacturing mode re: the virus being endemic.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

asdf32 posted:

There isn't evidence for the contrary either. The only thing that you've posted are opinion pieces, anecdotes, or that children's mental health is being affected, which is exactly what's happening to everyone else who aren't school children.

You know what is evidence? 21% of infections were in children last April. Youth hospitalizations are up. Delta's fatality rate among children isn't fully understood yet. Mississippi schools are closing down anyway after thousands of students became infected. Your literally advocating to throw kids into the grinder because "yeah it'll probably be fine, NOT going to school is worse, especially if they survive".

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 31, 2021

asdf32
May 15, 2010

ben shapino posted:

yeah, there's no way to work at a mine remotely, but that's not true for schools. very poor comparison indeed.

If there was a real way to do remote schooling you might have a point (hint it’s not about resources, there is no such thing as remote kindergarten. And for millions school is a good environment with a square meal).

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
I live my life one booster at a time. Nothing else matters—not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their bullshit. For those 5 months or less, I'm free.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

asdf32 posted:

If there was a real way to do remote schooling you might have a point (hint it’s not about resources, there is no such thing as remote kindergarten. And for millions school is a good environment with a square meal).

for millions, school is a death trap full of contagious respiratory illness for which the students are not yet vaccinated

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Why the long face?

HORSE PASTE HORSE PASTE HORS EP ASTE

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

asdf32 posted:

https://www.wkrg.com/health/coronavirus/fact-or-fiction-covid-doesnt-impact-children-alabama-pediatrician-sets-record-straight/

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

the doctor in that article isn't calling for a nationwide shutdown of schools :smug:

yet

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Zugzwang posted:

Gross.

lol that China, NZ, etc will be covid-free, while the rest of the world will be one giant leper colony because the powers that be have given up on containing it and our media is either ignoring it or in full consent manufacturing mode re: the virus being endemic.

They won't. China and new Zealand will end up living with covid like the rest of the world.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I mean besides the risks to kids themselves there's also the fact they'll spread it to everyone around them. Every. Single. Time. they opened schools up here in Canada it was immediately followed by a large spike in cases that mysteriously lessened once they closed schools again :thunk:.

And it's one more semester. 5-11s are going to be almost certainly getting shots this fall. By January most will have two shots and be protected.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

How are u posted:

They won't. China and new Zealand will end up living with covid like the rest of the world.

If Aus & NZ can hold it at bay long enough for most of the population to get vaccinated at least twice then their fatality rate should be much lower than the rest of the world has been subject to.

Our best bet long term is a highly transmittable mutation with a low fatality rate. :shrug:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Just Another Lurker posted:

If Aus & NZ can hold it at bay long enough for most of the population to get vaccinated at least twice then their fatality rate should be much lower than the rest of the world has been subject to.

Our best bet long term is a highly transmittable mutation with a low fatality rate. :shrug:

Yeah that is what they are trying to do. Hold off spread until they can get 90%+ vaccinated with the actual good vaccines. After that it would be bizarre to try and pursue zero covid.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

What’s scary is you think you made an argument.

Are you doing the horse medicine too. I don’t recommend it. Please tell me you’ve taken the vaccine despite the fact that it has risks.

Covid harms kids. So does missing school. Find an institution that’s looked at the facts and concluded that we should shut down schools.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

asdf32 posted:

Are you doing the horse medicine too. I don’t recommend it. Please tell me you’ve taken the vaccine despite the fact that it has risks.

Covid harms kids. So does missing school. Find an institution that’s looked at the facts and concluded that we should shut down schools.

Its a decision that sucks to make but if I would to make it, YES, take them kids out of school!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

asdf32 posted:

have you figured out what "an order of magnitude" is yet?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

asdf32 posted:

https://www.al.com/news/2021/08/childrens-of-alabama-treating-20-pediatric-covid-patients.html

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

asdf32 posted:

Covid harms kids. So does missing school.

Lungs potentially turn into goo and you die. Miss a semester of school. Yes these two things are the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

You’re trying to compare poorer educational outcomes that result from school closures with excess student deaths (and a general acceleration of the delta wave that already has a lot of hospitals at their breaking point) that are resulting from schools remaining open. The two things are measurable but aren’t directly comparable. You can have an opinion on what should be prioritized, health or education, and what the thresholds should be but your vague “look at the data” arguments are worthless because there’s no objective comparison. It’s apples and oranges.

The only thing I agree with the anti-shutdown crowd about is that it makes very little sense to only close schools and leave everything else open. But I assume everyone here who thinks schools should close right now also feels that way about theaters, bars, theme parks, gyms, etc. Or at the very least limited to masked and (not or) vaxxed people.