Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

pentyne posted:

Base Classes:

For each class, 5-6 archetypes, each with their own flavor and unique features. Some are restricted by race, but most are not.
In addition to the base classes, you also have prestige classes, which are usually the result of multi-classing or a certain specialization that introduces extra powers and skills you can’t otherwise get.

All this? This is just to start the game. Then the real choices begin.

If you'd like I can write a basic description of the classes and the basic poo poo you can/should be doing with them if you don't know the system at all (stat spreads, feats to beeline etc...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Kobal2 posted:

If you'd like I can write a basic description of the classes and the basic poo poo you can/should be doing with them if you don't know the system at all (stat spreads, feats to beeline etc...)

I, for one, would love this as right now my only thought is spooky lich man.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Personally I’d love any advice on making a shield-bashing character. It seems probably bad, but I really like the concept. It just sounds hard to fit all the feats, str and dex into anything that can’t take TWF feats without the dex reqs.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I, for one, would love this as right now my only thought is spooky lich man.

melee sorceror

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

looking through the companions I may mod seelah to be a martyr because none of the standard companions seem suited to bard which blows my loving mind

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

effectively mandating at least one merc in your party if the MC isn't one wtf

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Buck Wildman posted:

looking through the companions I may mod seelah to be a martyr because none of the standard companions seem suited to bard which blows my loving mind

Yeah I had this exact same thought

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Buck Wildman posted:

Why not just multiclass Seelah into Skald? She seems like a shoe in.

Also "mandating" seems a touch dramatic.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why not just multiclass Seelah into Skald? She seems like a shoe in.

Also "mandating" seems a touch dramatic.

it's my understanding that skald doesn't get full song capability but I haven't looked into it carefully

good luck playing anything above normal without a bard lol

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

it's my understanding that skald doesn't get full song capability but I haven't looked into it carefully

In a world with mythic feats and abilities? Playing above normal without a Bard is unremarkable.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

godspeed

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
What makes a bard so party critical above normal?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Anno posted:

Personally I’d love any advice on making a shield-bashing character. It seems probably bad, but I really like the concept. It just sounds hard to fit all the feats, str and dex into anything that can’t take TWF feats without the dex reqs.

Slayer and Ranger build it with great ease cause they bypass feat requirements (, feats in the chain, the dex) for two weapon fighting and others. Just pick Sword and shield combat style.
Fighter with proper statline gets far too many feats.
After that, a few classes that get bonus combat feats can do it in a reasonable pace (warpriest, crusader and such).
Any other class will have a harder time (like Paladin).

Slayer or Ranger is probably still the best choice, since they have ways to get high attack bonuses baked in their class and can get sneak dice that make the damage output even better (slayer's progression , Sense vital spell for ranger)

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 31, 2021

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Buck Wildman posted:

Tons of classes share unique stacking buffs through class abilities and the spell list can be covered. Very convenient, not mandatory. And Seelah can easily be a bard too, you get her at lv 1 and she has good enough cha.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

song buffs and crowd control in one package that isn't farting up what looks like an already crowded front line

maybe it'll be different from km guess we'll find out

JamMasterJim posted:

Tons of classes share unique stacking buffs through class abilities and the spell list can be covered. Very convenient, not mandatory. And Seelah can easily be a bard too, you get her at lv 1 and she has good enough cha.

yes of course you can but that's annoying, harumph

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'd rather she just be a martyr and save me the hassle, drat you iconic characters

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hello thread, I played the first game but have not paid attention to the new one. I have two questions for anyone who followed the beta and poo poo

1. Is this gonna be a bugfest like the first one was for a long while, or is it likely to be an actually decent experience at launch?

2. I never actually finished the first for an assortment of reasons. The three biggest ones were A: the story felt like it was kind of falling apart after the barbarian stuff and it really started to bore me, the one throughline (evil dryad lady) basically wasn't showing up either for ages which exacerbated it. B: the actual kingdom management which was kinda fun early on lost all its appeal to me. C: I realized I don't actually enjoy higher-level PF (getting into the teens) at all!

I'm not expecting point C to be helped much but how does the second game compare on the first two points?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Plenty of people beat KM solo at the hardest difficulties with a variety of crazy characters so there is absolutely nothing required in these games. Even some of the stronger stuff can be worked around with alternatives.

Anno posted:

I've seen some incredibly strong builds with shield bashing so you won't be weak. Like it was said most go through Ranger or Slayer so they can pick up TWF without all the dex but there are some different ways. Here's a weird one I stumbled onto in a youtube video.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Anno posted:

You can do it two ways (well, three but the third (straight Fighter) kinda sucks).
One is to go Slayer (or Ranger, but Slayer is a much better dual wielder because sneak attacks). Full hog on STR, don't care about no dex, you'll get all your TWF poo poo though your combat style and use your regular feats for improved crits on your main hand weapon of choice, then the shatter defense line. At level 11 get one level of Fighter to get Shield Master/Bashing Finish at the same time. From then on do as you like, poo poo should be exploding nicely.

The other is to go Paladin, MAD as gently caress. Something like 14STR 15 DEX 16 CHA. It's fine, you'll get belts and hats eventually. Don't increase DEX (by the time you need more than 15 to qualify for TWF feats you'll have +4/+6 belts and heavy armour will restrict your max bonus to AC anyway), just go full CHA (or 1 STR 4 CHA). All your feats will be TWF stuff, but that's OK because your Smite damage applies to both your mainhand and the shield. Once again, 1 level of Fighter at 11 to not slum it for 2 more levels. You could also add in a level of monk for free Crane Style after that. It's a more tanky build than the first, but with Smite you can still make big red numbers happen when it counts.

In either case you probably want your mainhand to be an 18-20 crit range weapon (rapier, scimitar, estoc (not worth the feat IMO but maybe there's some good ones, Iunno)) since bashing finish triggers on crits and the brunt of your damage comes from flat bonuses.

ETA : you could also make it work with a Rogue, Warpriest, Inquisitor, Bard... but I wouldn't recommend a non-full BAB class for the purpose. The Big Ticket Feat you want ASAP to make your build shine is Bashing Finish, which is gated behind BAB 11.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 31, 2021

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

DourCricket posted:

• Why isn't there a Mythic Armour focus that does the same thing as Archmage Armour? --- We don't think that any feats of that kind were necessary.

like this is a really legitimate question that they seem to have just blown off so color me credulous at mythic feats carrying the day but if I'm proven wrong I'll be the first to admit it

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Thanks all. One last question - the Shieldbearer Warpriest seems to treat their shield as their sacred weapon, meaning it presumably ends up way more damaging than for any other class? They get enough bonus feats that it seems that might be another way to go?

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

+2 to hit. I got demolished in the Technic League fight on my Hard playthrough because Linzi went down and one of the NPCs had 24 AC.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

like this is a really legitimate question that they seem to have just blown off so color me credulous at mythic feats carrying the day but if I'm proven wrong I'll be the first to admit it

Like have you actually looked at the mythic feats and abilities list because yes they definitely blew off a question aimed at the strict inferiority of heavy armor tanking to dex tanking, but that is an issue completely orthogonal to and unrelated to Bards being totally unnecessary.

You should probably read up it's publically available information now.

https://pathfinderwrathoftherighteous.wiki.fextralife.com/Mythic+Feats
https://pathfinderwrathoftherighteous.wiki.fextralife.com/Mythic+Abilities

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
REPOSTED FOR A NEW PAGE BECAUSE I loving CAN

AMA Part 1 - 2pm EST~ . For brevity, I will be summarizing questions and answers that are longer than a sentence or two. Questions in BOLD
  • Why isn't there a Mythic Armour focus that does the same thing as Archmage Armour? --- We don't think that any feats of that kind were necessary.
  • Were there any plans for a "fey" mythic path / Do Azata get awesome wings like in their portraits? ---- No, but Trickster has strong fey vibes. / Azata gets even more awesome wings than on the portraits, trust me :)
  • Does your mythic path affect your appearance? - Yes it does. Especially after final transformation.
  • Can we expect new classes, races or even mythic paths in future --- New Mythic paths are highly unlikely, as for classes and races - no plans right now, but it's possible.
  • What is the most interesting mythic path, in your opinion? --- Azata! (It's not because I wrote it... It's just my sincere, honest, unbiased opinion! :) ).
  • Do you plan to develop a game not related to the mechanics of board games and in your own setting? --- Every developer wants to make their own world!
  • Any plans to expand animal companions eventually, in DLC? Say, more dinosaurs? --- It is possible in future.
  • are you satisfied with your work on mythic paths and on turn-based mode? Is there something you wish you had a bit more time to change it? --- No matter how much polishing you do, you always feel that you want to do more. There's always some sort of an optimal point where it's time to stop and say yourself - hey, it's enough. We hope that we found that point in most cases :)
  • The previous game has been described as "a gm who hates you". Did you listen to these comments, and how did you change the new game in response? ---- It largely depends on the difficulty options. Core of the gameplay is the same, but the setting is darker and grimmer
  • Will basic kitsune have tail? --- Yes
  • What are you guys most proud of or what came together really well in a way you maybe didn't expect? --- Welp. As for me, I'm really proud that, at last, we made a game with a totally insane and nearly limitless amount of options and builds. I am a big fan of TT Pathfinder, and my biggest love their is that amount of options, allowing you to create anything you want. /// I was proud of the companions I wrote (Sosiel and Arueshalae from the pen-and-paper module, and Ember whom I came up with), but it was absolutely breathtaking to see them gain new depth as they left my hands, and my colleagues did their magic. Portraits, voices, animations, level designs of their quests, additional dialogues — all of these made me meet my darlings anew :)
  • What was the biggest lesson you've learned from the Kingmaker? --- "I know writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards!" ((C) Garth Marenghi).
    I learned that when you write something subtle, most of the readers will ignore it. In fact, even when you write something not-too-subtly, but less then five times, most readers will ignore it. HOWEVER, if you don't write something, and not even have it in mind when you're working, some of the readers will read it between the lines and surprise you with unexpected interpretations.
  • Are gamepads supported in the day one version of the game? --- Not day one
  • Where is Alderpash? Is he safe? Does he have some sexy new art? --- He's in our hearts. Also (somewhat) in the title of the game ;-)
  • Does alignement affect your Mythic Path options? ---- It's complicated. Each alignment is tied to a specific bunch of alignments, and the actions you take on that path tend to fall into these alignments. You can be a good Lich, but you'll have to skip some of the more evil actions this path includes. You'll be able to end the story as a good-aligned Lich, but you won't be very good at being the Lich :)
  • is there some possibility of more DLC after this season pass is done? --- Currently only 3 are planned, but there's a possibility it may change in future.
  • Will the Gold Dragon mythic path also have spells? --- Nope
  • Azata: Will we further cosmetic upgrades as we progress, akin to the full lich transformation? --- Yep!
  • My question is whether you know yet whether that DLC will be different depending on your Mythic Path? Kind of difficult to imagine any being turning towards a Swarm for help for example --- it will definitely take your Mythic Path choice into account in some fashion.
  • Скажите, сколько будет весить патч?) ---- Патч планируется довольно увесистым, как минимум несколько гигабайт.
  • Will there be a list of known bugs avaliable for us to see ---- At launch yes, mostly major issues
  • Are there any plans to add more options to the model character creator with dreads or other hairstyles, darker skin tones (esp for elves etc), and faces with features matching bipoc, especially black people? --- Some additional customization options have been added to the release version of the game in comparison with beta.
  • Does WotR take place after the events in the Stolen Lands? If so is there any continuation or perhaps familiar characters that we might bump into? --- WotR takes place a few years after the events of the first game in another region of the same world. There are some references and appearances of some of the old characters in the game, but otherwise it's a new story with new heroes and villains.

There are also several "fan-answered" questions I see but I'm passing on those. Also some more 80's Action Move bad guy lingo questions I can't be assed to translate.

Will come back for more in an hour or two.

Part 2 & Finale:
  • next Pathfinder CRPG, which would you pick and why?--- Speaking for myself, and myself only, as I'm not the one who calls the shots: I really want to make Iron Gods, aka Pathfinder: Fallout. This is NOT an announcement of a next game :) /// We are currently focused on releasing Wrath of the Righteous and can't share much information about future releases yet. Some patience is required :)
  • Finally, do you guys have any idea around when the DLC will come out --- No dates yet
  • Among the many new mechanics in Wrath (paths, mounts, etc) , what proved the most difficult to implement? ---- Speaking as a narrative designer, the hardest feature is always keeping track of multiple possible timelines: the many decisions you make and all their consequences. As the story becomes more complicated, the number of these options skyrockets. //// Mythics paths.
    Not only they have an incredible amount of new mechanics, they are also tightly linked to the story, and that makes the challenge even greater.
  • Will we see more weapon representation in Wrath of The Righteous? --- Finnean, the sentient weapon, is for you - it can change into any weapon you want (and proficient in)
  • What's Devs thought about balance regarding Demon and Aeon? Many users have express they regards about the state of those two paths --- We've heard people talking about this - we monitored activity in beta-channels quite closely, and we made several iterative changes to make those mythics be a bit stronger (increasing Aeon's Gaze DC, increasing number of demonic rages per day and increasing the number of simultaneous minor aspects). We don't think that any massive reworks are needed, and we are quite happy with the current power balance
  • As a Kitsune, would you be able to switch between human and anthropomorphic shape at will? Are there any gameplay differences between the two shapes? Will there be any changes in dialogues with NPCs? --- Yes and no, no.
  • Any chance for Ratfolk and Kobold races in DLC? Also would the companions made for DLC be more expanded than Tiefling Sisters in Kingmaker? --- It's very unlikely that these races will be added. [Transcriber note - this one fuckin stings]
  • Kingmaker is still in not the greatest spot on consoles is there any plan to port kingmaker to the updated engine and maybe do a PS5, Series X update to kingmaker? --- Not in the near future
  • Is the game more balanced around the turn based or real time with pause combat? --- RTWP
  • Does the game have respec? and how does it work with the mythic path? --- Yes, and can respec your choices in the path, but not the path itself
  • Are there any polyamorous romance options? --- Unfortunately, not this time :(
  • How lengh is the game with all optional quests ? --- You can safely bet 100+ hours for one average playthrough. [Transcriber note: come the gently caress on please and edit some content poo poo]
  • Will the final dungeons of WotR be less awful to go through? --- We do hope you will like what you will see :)
  • Who is Best Girl? --- Camellia, duh./// Aivu /// Nocticula!
  • Currently some people are experiencing problems with already activated/double Steam gamekeys. Will this matter be resolved before launchday? --- We're working on it
  • You guys have plans to translate the game in more languages? --- Possibly in the future, Kingmaker was
  • There are plans for an Color Blind mode? --- Yep
  • Mything paths are there any plans to potentially rebalance them post-release if it turns out some are more powerful or interesting than the others? --- We are not really planning on making them equal - some power desparity is totally okay in a single-player game.
  • Will the game's main story consist of (more or less) self contained story arcs like in the first game? --- Wrath has a way more consistent storyline than Kingmaker. You'll have to make some detours here and there, but mostly it's the story of the Crusade, from its beginning to the end.
  • Will I miss out on a bunch of stuff during an Evil playthrough? ---- From the beginning, one of our main concern was to not make a game exclusively for Lawful Good Paladins Of Law And Goodness. There are whole mythic paths dedicated to the path of Evil.
  • Will the portrait of the player change depending of the mythic path he chooses? --- Each Mythic path has two alternative portraits (male and female). You can change the portrait later in the game, or keep your original one.
  • Given the well known issues with bugs in the console release of Kingmaker, some of which will never get fixed, what have you done to make sure this same issue doesn’t occur in the console releases of Wrath?---- We are doing our best to learn on mistakes of Kingmaker. Also, Wrath is developed from the start with console port in mind, and there's a good amount of time till console release to polish it.
  • Will you keep adopting Pathfinder 1e adventure paths in the future? --- Can't confirm or deny
  • So can I play as a dragon? --- you can become one later in the game
  • Can you ride Aivu after he grows a bit bigger? --- Yep
  • Was it always the plan to not have the choice of all mythic paths at the same time? How were the mythic paths that would become available later chosen? --- Yes, that was the plan from the start. There were two main reasons for it, one - we wanted to have big, important choice in the second half of the game, another is a spoiler. Initially, only Legend was supposed to be late-game path, then we added Gold Dragon and Swarm on Kickstarter.

Buck Wildman posted:

I summarized that answer and they have some replies in the thread but basically - they don't care that much that some options are way more powerful than others, it's a singleplayer game and heavy armor tanks work just fine on Core. Again, just summarizing.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

DourCricket posted:

Initially, only Legend was supposed to be late-game path, then we added Gold Dragon and Swarm on Kickstarter.

Yeah, that was pretty obvious.
"What if they pay me to write my magical realm about Bugs'.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

o I die horatio

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

All the good quality of life buffs (and some mass CC/debuffs on top) on one guy (you're only missing Barkskin, Death Ward and Mind Blank) ; that stack with their song. So you're hitting more, which means you're killing more, which means you die a lot less on the whole.

Also up to 6d10s worth of free hitpoints every single fight greatly reduces the need for a dedicated healbot, which frees up a party slot for Moar DPS.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've heard conflicting if Crane Wing/Riposte still works in WOTR like KM or whether it needs a hand free. Someone said it doesn't even work for a Magus with Spell Combat toggled on. I guess we'll see in a couple days but it's possible some of the conventional wisdom from KM in general doesn't pan out the same.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

All the good quality of life buffs (and some mass CC/debuffs on top) on one guy (you're only missing Barkskin, Death Ward and Mind Blank) ; that stack with their song. So you're hitting more, which means you're killing more, which means you die a lot less on the whole.

Also up to 6d10s worth of free hitpoints every single fight greatly reduces the need for a dedicated healbot, which frees up a party slot for Moar DPS.

You do not bring a cleric for the healing after the first few levels, really. It's for everything else in the spell list.
Plus, a Divine Power plus whatever other self buffs cleric is better at smacking too. And if things really go south, Heal/Mass heal or just resurrecting is still more valuable.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Don't get me wrong, bard is still really loving good, but I wouldn't say they take the place of a cleric - even outside of raw healing. Clerics are pathfinder God tier because they are just bonkers versatile. You can make a 5 mercenary cleric team and kit them all to do something extremely different from the others and have them all be amazing. Just kiting them out for heal botting is really selling the class short.

If you want a laugh, make an evil cleric merc, kit him out for maximum "gently caress off". Either Urgathoa with death and magic domain or Norgober with death and charm domain. Give yourself selective channel negative, that helmet or negative energy channeling, all the attack spells under the sun, and watch them completely wreck shop.

Edit: give said evil cleric 0 healing as even more of a test, force yourself to use him aggressively and watch what he can do

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 31, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So I backed the kickstarter for WotR whenever that was (2017?) but I never set myself up in the "Backer portal" and now when I go to the owlcat games page my login account acts like I've never bought anything. Clicking the links for the backer portal takes me to a dead URL because apparently the launch of the actual game was the best time to take down the backer portal, because that's what people love about kickstarter, not getting their rewards and extra logins and passwords to deal with.

Anything I can do other than email owlcat and twiddle my thumbs?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

WotR has inspired me to finally get around to installing Kingmaker

I played like 90% of Kingmaker but I don't think I ever bothered to actually finish it

Does the new game transfer anything from the last one or are they fully independent

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does the new game transfer anything from the last one or are they fully independent

Fully independent.

Also, I think you may be in "twiddle thumbs" territory.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I forgot that I had backed for POE2 until like a year later and could still claim my key, lol

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lmfao

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

aw gently caress I forgot about that whole mess :smith:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So I backed the kickstarter for WotR whenever that was (2017?) but I never set myself up in the "Backer portal" and now when I go to the owlcat games page my login account acts like I've never bought anything. Clicking the links for the backer portal takes me to a dead URL because apparently the launch of the actual game was the best time to take down the backer portal, because that's what people love about kickstarter, not getting their rewards and extra logins and passwords to deal with.

Anything I can do other than email owlcat and twiddle my thumbs?

I had the same problem. I emailed them and they sent me a link to confirm my pledge with them and then it worked fine. I emailed them at: team@owlcatgames.com with my email address and name and they got back to me in like 15 minutes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

jng2058 posted:

I had the same problem. I emailed them and they sent me a link to confirm my pledge with them and then it worked fine. I emailed them at: team@owlcatgames.com with my email address and name and they got back to me in like 15 minutes.

Yeah I emailed them yesterday and no response yet. Assume they're busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ahh, mandragora swarms

i did a little googling then hit bag of tricks to just delete the strength debuff because drat, lol