Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

quake owns. especially the first one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

i played a great deal of quake as a kid and it rules. nothing like playing a slideshow on a 28k modem

through the magic of ray tracing you can relive that experience today with modern hardware!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Truman Peyote posted:

quake owns. especially the first one

so i played a LOT of quakeworld teamfortress and at one point flew to NY for a lan party. There were about 30 of us and we'd all been playing together for 2-3 years and someone brought something that no one else had ever seen: an actual legit installation CD for Quake that he'd purchased with real money.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
i was a quake 2 kid... on the ps1! I never had a pc capable enough. Oh and I played quake 1 on N64 I think. they're good ports!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

so i played a LOT of quakeworld teamfortress and at one point flew to NY for a lan party. There were about 30 of us and we'd all been playing together for 2-3 years and someone brought something that no one else had ever seen: an actual legit installation CD for Quake that he'd purchased with real money.

lol I've definitely never seen one of those

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i saw a full copy of doom once

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

rjmccall posted:

i saw a full copy of doom once

i definitely saw "mission packs" and stuff at like... sams club. Stuff for doom, duke3d, etc. 3rd parties just blasting wads onto unsuspecting bulk buyers

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

rotor posted:

lol hell yeah

me and my friends got called in for a scolding session with the school district network admin because we'd managed to install the shareware version on the school network and had been playing it at lunch

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/wholesumboomers/status/1432382909818810372

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ManishEarth/status/1432474630351036416

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
im the forbidden daddy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

no me!!!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
forbidden daddy is 100% a gay romance mystery novel

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
guys come on, if theres a forbidden daddy in yospos its obviously me.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/BartenderHemry/status/1432518862466060288

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/YseultCeirw/status/985632621940977664

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
current mood:

https://twitter.com/kothscreens/status/1432792594929520640

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/gldivittorio/status/1432820912823361537?s=21

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

truth

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
this is definitely true for anything organized

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

only if you confuse "religion" for "abrahamic religion" tbh

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hell i'm sure there's not weird forms of those too that are still organized. reform judaism and whatever the christian and muslim equivalents are

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/ryanlostintx/status/1432523366909493253?s=21

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

religion's just synthetic frippery
unnecessary in our expanding global cultural efficiency

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

religion is cool when it's either (1) entirely personal spirituality or (2) giant community events.

the middle is where it gets weird.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

religion is cool when it's either (1) entirely personal spirituality or (2) giant community events.

the middle is where it gets weird.

but with #2 the utility seems to be in its social aspect, not its spiritual one. idk, I’m not religious, so my perspective is limited, but i’ve heard a bunch if times from the faithful that they enjoy the sense of community that comes along with worship, but you can have that without the god part.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i like drinking wine at mass therefore catholicism is good

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
people like rituals and without god there's no reason to do the rituals. i mean you can just do them out of tradition but people are gonna ask why, and then stop

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

beep there's lots of religions where either there's no god or they're not really part of the important bits

this is the thing about you confusing religion for abrahamic stuff

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

without god there's no reason to do the rituals.

lmao wtf

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
can you list some religions where there's no god because i'm struggling to think of any besides buddhism

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

beep there's lots of religions where either there's no god or they're not really part of the important bits

this is the thing about you confusing religion for abrahamic stuff

i can see how that might be the case. i try to learn about the rest of the world but when it comes down to it my personal experience is essentially monocultural.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

can you list some religions where there's no god because i'm struggling to think of any besides buddhism

pastafarianism

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DELETE CASCADE posted:

shintoism, depending on your definition I guess

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

waheguru in sikhism isnt very similar to the abrahamic concept of god. gods in taosim are usually but not always more akin to spirits than gods. same with most shinto poo poo. uhhhh jainism pretty much fits the bill too but some texts will call enlightened being "gods" but it's not really the same

and buddhism as you said

that's off the top of my head

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

waheguru in sikhism isnt very similar to the abrahamic concept of god. gods in taosim are usually but not always more akin to spirits than gods. same with most shinto poo poo. uhhhh jainism pretty much fits the bill too but some texts will call enlightened being "gods" but it's not really the same

and buddhism as you said

that's off the top of my head

do these things have dogma though? that’s where i see problems. e.g., if you don’t believe what some other says you should and how you should do it, then you’re doing it wrong.

e: at that point my hypothetical religion reeks of human construct, which I don’t think is the point.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

if you can stand all the upper middle class white people huffing their own farts, unitarian universalist churches are ok

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sure they do. but everything humans touch has that from engineering disciplines to musical scales to how species are named. dogma is a cognitive shortcut to end inquiry and can be applied to any bit of knowledge

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

evangelic lutherism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

unitarian universalism shouldn't even really be called a church imo. i had a friend who was UU for a while and she said that there was always someone complaining that whatever they were into wasn't being properly respected and/or whatever the church was doing didn't respect their beliefs. e.g. a cranky old atheist man in the back who would boo every time the minister mentioned god.

it's just a social club for a particular kind of liberal