Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So I’m getting a new bed for one of my kids. My wife and I have a Purple 2 that we love. Daughter says she likes the feel of our Purple, so definitely something not super squishy. We’re definitely not looking to spend anything in the ballpark of a Purple mattress. Are there any similar cheap options that may be similar style? Like, $2-300? Or will it be garbage?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So I’m getting a new bed for one of my kids. My wife and I have a Purple 2 that we love. Daughter says she likes the feel of our Purple, so definitely something not super squishy. We’re definitely not looking to spend anything in the ballpark of a Purple mattress. Are there any similar cheap options that may be similar style? Like, $2-300? Or will it be garbage?

There isn't anything that does what Purple does in a lower price bracket. I don't know what size you're looking for, but there are some Kids Purple mattresses which may fit your need. You may find some beds-in-a-box that will get somewhat similar, but you'll be struggling for anything you'd like under $300. Double that, and you have several options, though!

toplitzin posted:

My fiancé and I are moving and thinking about upgrading to a king sized bed once we get moved.

The fiancé is a toss and turner, and i'm a side sleeper.

Currently we're sharing a bit too small Ghost Queen.

We don't really need the adjustable frame, so we'll probably get a single King + frame vs a adjustable frame + Double Twin.

I'm leaning towards a king sized Purple+frame, but we're open to ideas/suggestions.

That bit confuses me. You don't need to split a king mattress to accommodate an adjustable bed set. You only need to do that if you are either going to have different feels for each person, or you want to adjust completely independently. And you can find some adjustable bases out there of decent quality that are a similar price to the Purple foundation. I'd encourage you to try out the mattress (Purple is super different from virtually everything else), and if you're doing that, you can likely try bases, too!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Synastren posted:

There isn't anything that does what Purple does in a lower price bracket. I don't know what size you're looking for, but there are some Kids Purple mattresses which may fit your need. You may find some beds-in-a-box that will get somewhat similar, but you'll be struggling for anything you'd like under $300. Double that, and you have several options, though!

Oh yeah, I wasn't expecting Purple quality in a $2-300 mattress. Just looking for some decent BIAB option that's similar-ish. Hybrid spring/foam, or all foam in a full size.

I feel like the Tuft & Needle stuff skyrocketed in price over when I was looking a few years ago.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I feel like the Tuft & Needle stuff skyrocketed in price over when I was looking a few years ago.

A lot of BIAB products were sold at near- or actual loss prices to gain marketshare. Once they started to get a sustainable amount of recognition, they began to increase prices to make profits. Puffy is an excellent example of a brand who was willing to lose money to get into the market. T&N was similar, but I doubt they were ever negative.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I have a Purple 3 (is that the top one? The thickest one.) and a Purple Kids’ mattress, and they’re not really comparable. The kid mattress is decent if your kid is pretty young, but that support isn’t really impressive once they hit 10-12 or about 100lbs. You don’t get the nice grid support and airflow, and I definitely wouldn’t buy one again.

The P3 is fine, but I’m replacing a firm Stearns & Foster in the guest room that has done wonders for my hosed up back over the years and I’m just going to go back to mattress firm and get another S&F instead of adding another biab.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Loucks posted:

I have a Purple 3 (is that the top one? The thickest one.) and a Purple Kids’ mattress, and they’re not really comparable. The kid mattress is decent if your kid is pretty young, but that support isn’t really impressive once they hit 10-12 or about 100lbs. You don’t get the nice grid support and airflow, and I definitely wouldn’t buy one again.

The P3 is fine, but I’m replacing a firm Stearns & Foster in the guest room that has done wonders for my hosed up back over the years and I’m just going to go back to mattress firm and get another S&F instead of adding another biab.

P4 is the softest, and has 4 inches of purple material on top. The 3 is the medium feel (and the most popular by far). The 2 is the firmest of the line.

Depending on where you live, you might be waiting a bit for Stearns & Foster in general. Larger markets (Chicagoland, Houston, Miami, New York, etc), you'll probably have a fairly quick turnaround. In mid-sized markets (e.g., any large midwestern city that isn't Chicago), you'll probably be waiting a couple of weeks to a month. Smaller markets are likely a month to 6 week wait.

It's worse at other retailers, but stock can be surprising sometimes, so check around!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any thoughts on this Novaform? Currently $70 off on Costco for $409 for a full:

https://www.costco.com/novaform-14%22-comfort-grande-plus-gel-memory-foam-mattress-medium.product.100667300.html

I’ve resigned myself to looking above my original $2-300 range since it seems like there’s a lot of junk out there. Just for a kid, so doesn’t need to fix my old back or anything.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 7, 2021

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Any thoughts on this Novaform? Currently $70 off on Costco for $409 for a full:

https://www.costco.com/novaform-14%22-comfort-grande-plus-gel-memory-foam-mattress-medium.product.100667300.html

I’ve resigned myself to looking above my original $2-300 range since it seems like there’s a lot of junk out there. Just for a kid, so doesn’t need to fix my old back or anything.

For what you're looking for, it's probably going to be just fine!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

A coworker just got a Saatva Loom & Leaf and is raving about it. Saw a few old posts ITT that seemed to be generally positive, although a lot of times it was grouped in with BIAB options even though the L&L doesn't come in a box. Not sure if they've changed that recently or if it was just lumped in on account of being an online memory foam mattress. Anyone have more recent experience?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I have a Ghostbed now that i'm pretty happy with apart from it being a queen.

From those who may have slept on both, how much of an upgrade is a Purple 3" or 4" gel?
The price of the Purple is pretty much 2x that of the GhostLuxe.

Does it sleep/feel worth it? How amazing is the 3-4" of gel?

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I'm 5'10" and weigh 165 pounds. I sleep exclusively on my side.

I've been struggling to find a mattress that really works for me for nearly a decade now. I'll spend a decent amount on a bed (my most recent was $2000), but I never end up with something that actually feels right for me. And within three to four years I always start looking for a replacement.

Well, it's that time again. I've only had my current mattress for about three years, but I'm already getting to the point where I'm having serious issues.

My current mattress is a double sided pocket coil and latex hybrid. Something like 3" of latex + 0.5" of quilted wool on either side; unfortunately I no longer have access to exact specifics of its construction. I very much like the springy feel of latex on top of coils

My current mattress is very comfortable for falling asleep. The problem is that I almost always wake up from deep sleep after four or five hours, and then spend several hours tossing and turning between laying on my sides and laying on my stomach. I can't sleep well on my stomach, but it's the position my body ends up choosing during much of this half asleep tossing and turning. Since I'm half sleep when this happens, it's very hard to discern exactly why I can't stay in my preferred side sleeping position. I'm inclined to think that it's because I have insufficient support, but I'm not sure. I almost never experience bed related back pain, and I understand that's one of the big signs of insufficient mattress support, but maybe I don't have back pain because I toss and turn instead of sleeping through it?

Hotel beds are often too hard for me to sleep on comfortably, but I also never end up on my stomach while on a hotel bed. Instead I just end up switching from laying on one side to the other throughout the night. That being said, I recently spent a few nights in a Hyatt Place hotel room, and the bed there was quite comfortable. This bed felt something like four inches of very soft foam over fairly firm springs. The springs felt substantially firmer than the springs in my current mattress. This bed was soft enough for me to comfortably stay on my sides without frequent switching, but it also never got me rolling on to my stomach. The only real problem with the Hyatt Place bed is that it was extremely warm (I'm a very hot sleeper).

I'd really like my next mattress to actually be a good match long term, but that's hard to do when I can't even definitively determine what's wrong with my current mattress. Is my storytelling above enough for anyone to point me in the right direction? Spending even an hour laying on a showroom mattress seems useless when the support(?) issues I'm experiencing don't become a problem until hour four or five.

Kefit fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 1, 2021

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?

Kefit posted:

I've been struggling to find a mattress that really works for me for nearly a decade now. I'll spend a decent amount on a bed (my most recent was $2000), but I never end up with something that actually feels right for me. And within three to four years I always start looking for a replacement.

Very much the same. I'm in the process of moving and realized I can finally get a mattress that doesn't make me hurt. I'm a 160 ish lb side sleeper who usually ends up on my stomach sometime during the night. I have a Casper right now that is way too firm and either my lower back or hips hurt in the morning. I used to have an OG Purple that I don't remember sucking, but it was a few years ago now. What's out there in the ~$1000-1500 range for something softer?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
From researching for the last few days basically everything under 1k seems to be soft or ‘medium’ focused. I’m guessing cause it’s cheaper to make something soft than supportive? I’m also pulling that out of my rear end so :shrug:

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
Does this Simmons Beautyrest 10" Hybrid Coil & Memory Foam Mattress seem like it's worth $422 for a king? I know the "original price" on Slickdeals is way inflated but it's so hard to find any reliable info, I can't even tell if this is a deal at all.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15387457-simmons-beautyrest-10-hybrid-coil-memory-foam-mattress-king-460-or-queen-360-more-w-sd-cashback-free-s-h

I ordered it because I need something soon, but then saw that there's a ton of <$500 box mattresses on Amazon. I emailed to cancel it and the guy replied saying they could take another $37 off. But if it's all the same class of crap I'd still rather use Amazon for the possibility recourse if anything's wrong. This BuyDig place it's just all sales final. Can I get a king of about the same quality on Amazon for <$500? Thanks.

e: I also saw in a different thread people saying to just buy a cheap on that fits the frame, then get a nice mattress topper. Does that seem like a better idea than trying to find the perfect affordable bed in a box?

gamer roomie is 41 fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 13, 2021

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Work has been dominating lately, so I've not popped by because I'm working a lot more and am looking to disconnect at home. But let's see what I can answer, kinda! I recognize that these are some old rear end posts, but if the decision hasn't been made yet, maybe it will help them--and if purchase has already happened, maybe others can gain some utility.

toplitzin posted:

I have a Ghostbed now that i'm pretty happy with apart from it being a queen.

From those who may have slept on both, how much of an upgrade is a Purple 3" or 4" gel?
The price of the Purple is pretty much 2x that of the GhostLuxe.

Does it sleep/feel worth it? How amazing is the 3-4" of gel?

For back/stomach sleepers, I doubt you'd notice much of a difference across the different Purple hybrids. For side sleepers, though, the differences become pretty stark. The extra material allows for significantly improved pressure relief while still giving similar support. The reason the price jumps so much, is that the Purple smart grid is the single most expensive bit of the mattress, similar to how the Tempur material is the most expensive part of a Tempurpedic. Our side-sleeping customers are significantly more likely to return a Purple2 than either premier hybrid, but ymmv.

Kefit posted:

[... snip ...]

I'd really like my next mattress to actually be a good match long term, but that's hard to do when I can't even definitively determine what's wrong with my current mattress. Is my storytelling above enough for anyone to point me in the right direction? Spending even an hour laying on a showroom mattress seems useless when the support(?) issues I'm experiencing don't become a problem until hour four or five.

There's a lot going on here, and I'll have to come back to address finer points I think. But some blanket statements while I think on your situation: The primary reason side sleepers toss and turn isn't a support issue (barring a failing mattress), but rather a pressure relief issue. Look for something that will take those pressure points away, and you'll be in a much better spot, and likely won't flop around as much. For someone under ~225, support levels beyond "adequate" are overkill, very nearly. I don't know what you've tried in the past, but look for something with a generous return/exchange policy, and try to find someone who knows what they're talking about in a showroom. I can only help you directly if you're in Kansas City. :v:

Horn of Arby's posted:

Very much the same. I'm in the process of moving and realized I can finally get a mattress that doesn't make me hurt. I'm a 160 ish lb side sleeper who usually ends up on my stomach sometime during the night. I have a Casper right now that is way too firm and either my lower back or hips hurt in the morning. I used to have an OG Purple that I don't remember sucking, but it was a few years ago now. What's out there in the ~$1000-1500 range for something softer?

I believe Casper is on the firmer side of most BIAB products. But there are several innerspring options out there that are supportive and relatively inexpensive for the quality. Check out a BRS900 model (BeautyRest Silver is the collection, but they BeautyRest uses that in all model names in that collection). I would personally avoid at BR800; I don't like the support, and am generally unimpressed by any model I've seen or tried. There are also decent options from Sealy and Serta in that 500-1250 range that are worth looking at. Hell, even Bob's Discount Furniture has some OK options around that $1k mark.

Nuts and Gum posted:

From researching for the last few days basically everything under 1k seems to be soft or ‘medium’ focused. I’m guessing cause it’s cheaper to make something soft than supportive? I’m also pulling that out of my rear end so :shrug:

Things either get softer by 1) reducing support, or; 2) adding more soft material on the top. In the lowest price brackets, they're cutting the soft stuff to allow lower prices most of the time. Not true for everything, but it's a good general assumption.

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

Does this Simmons Beautyrest 10" Hybrid Coil & Memory Foam Mattress seem like it's worth $422 for a king? I know the "original price" on Slickdeals is way inflated but it's so hard to find any reliable info, I can't even tell if this is a deal at all.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15387457-simmons-beautyrest-10-hybrid-coil-memory-foam-mattress-king-460-or-queen-360-more-w-sd-cashback-free-s-h

I ordered it because I need something soon, but then saw that there's a ton of <$500 box mattresses on Amazon. I emailed to cancel it and the guy replied saying they could take another $37 off. But if it's all the same class of crap I'd still rather use Amazon for the possibility recourse if anything's wrong. This BuyDig place it's just all sales final. Can I get a king of about the same quality on Amazon for <$500? Thanks.

e: I also saw in a different thread people saying to just buy a cheap on that fits the frame, then get a nice mattress topper. Does that seem like a better idea than trying to find the perfect affordable bed in a box?

That's basically a normal price for a BR800 model. A not bed-in-a-box medium innerspring is currently $589 at Mattress Firm, which generally is an ok average-ish price indicator: https://www.mattressfirm.com/beautyrest/br800-12-inch-medium-mattress/mfi134256.html

Personally, I don't like that line very much, as I don't like the support of the product. It's fine for the price, I guess, but I don't generally recommend them. The best dollars:performance ratio in that general price range in a king, foam is going to be your best option, barring some ridiculous sale or unique product.

re: Topper solution

Toppers are good temporary fixes to prolong the life of a product that has gotten too firm, 99% of the time. They're not going to be the same quality of material you'd find in most mattresses, generally, or they're going to be quite expensive. If you want to go that route, get something that is hella firm, then put the topper on to soften it. Note that you will likely need to change the topper every 2-4 years due to wear.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I hate that there's no standard recommendation for mattresses. I really just want to spend $500-1000 and get something I could describe as a good, standard mattress, but every recommendation comes with all sorts of questions and caveats. Mattress companies, retailers, and product reviewers are so full of poo poo.

Anyway, I'm looking to replace a 5-year-old Leesa mattress that was only good for about 3 years. I don't have any special needs except that I'd like for it to be comfortable and last for more than a few years. Is this possible in my price range? I'm willing to go higher if it's not, because there's no point in buying another dud mattress.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 13, 2021

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
Thanks Synastren! It seems like I posted at just the right time, you sure know your stuff.

I blindly assumed hybrid was better than foam (more things = better than) but if that line isn't great and foam is the way to go I might get something on Amazon instead. It will probably also not be great but will at least have the option to return.

Thanks!

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?

Synastren posted:

I believe Casper is on the firmer side of most BIAB products. But there are several innerspring options out there that are supportive and relatively inexpensive for the quality. Check out a BRS900 model (BeautyRest Silver is the collection, but they BeautyRest uses that in all model names in that collection). I would personally avoid at BR800; I don't like the support, and am generally unimpressed by any model I've seen or tried. There are also decent options from Sealy and Serta in that 500-1250 range that are worth looking at. Hell, even Bob's Discount Furniture has some OK options around that $1k mark.

Thank you so, so much for your input and effort. It's very appreciated. Are there any latex beds that'd be ok for side/stomach sleeping, or should I stick to a traditional spring mattress?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I got tired of waking up with my back hurting and bought this Stearns & Foster firm mattress. Entirely possible I’m throwing cash away like a moron, but until it started to go bad my current S&F luxury firm mattress was the only way I could sleep through the night without feeling like someone kicked me in the spine the next morning. For some reason there was a huge lead time, but hopefully when it shows up next week I’ll be able to enjoy sleep again. Feels weird to spend vacation money on a mattress. Thanks, Covid!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I hate that there's no standard recommendation for mattresses. I really just want to spend $500-1000 and get something I could describe as a good, standard mattress, but every recommendation comes with all sorts of questions and caveats. Mattress companies, retailers, and product reviewers are so full of poo poo.

Anyway, I'm looking to replace a 5-year-old Leesa mattress that was only good for about 3 years. I don't have any special needs except that I'd like for it to be comfortable and last for more than a few years. Is this possible in my price range? I'm willing to go higher if it's not, because there's no point in buying another dud mattress.

Any major brand innersprings that normally go for around $750+ are generally fine. Staples include: Sealy Posturepedic Premium, Serta Perfect Sleeper, BeautyRest Silver (I'd advise a BRS900 over any BR800). There are also some proprietary brands from large-to-semilarge furniture stores that are ok. Avoid connected/continuous coil systems. If you want to try some things that meet that criteria but are likely at the top of that budget, hit up something like the BeautyRest Pressuresmart collection at Mattress Firm, or their Harmony collection at whatever store you'd prefer.

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

Thanks Synastren! It seems like I posted at just the right time, you sure know your stuff.

I blindly assumed hybrid was better than foam (more things = better than) but if that line isn't great and foam is the way to go I might get something on Amazon instead. It will probably also not be great but will at least have the option to return.

Thanks!

I've now sold mattresses for more than 5 years with Mattress Firm and have been very good at it. I hate sales, and basically just educate folks, because I was a grad student in my previous career path. I try to not let my experience at this company bias the information I give here, but it shines through occasionally--particularly because I'm more familiar with MF's portfolio of products. I've done a fair amount of research into brands and products we don't carry, though, and don't mind recommending things to folks that we don't carry. :v:

The only reason foam usually outperforms hybrids in lower price ranges is because it's cheaper to produce at a decent quality. That doesn't matter at all if you prefer coils, mind!

Horn of Arby's posted:

Thank you so, so much for your input and effort. It's very appreciated. Are there any latex beds that'd be ok for side/stomach sleeping, or should I stick to a traditional spring mattress?

Latex can be used in addition to coils. The most common way latex is used is as a comfort material, because good latex is expensive at the scale of making mattresses. I'm fairly familiar with products that use up to 3 inches of latex across a few different vendors, but I don't know as much about the breadth of products as I do foam. I don't want to recommend things directly, but if you come across anything in particular, I'll try to give you an opinion on it!

Generally latex is going to be a bit firmer than foam, just due to its density. That doesn't mean it needs to be firm, necessarily, but it's just dense. Tuft & Needle feels a lot like latex because their foam is strangely bouncy. Purple feels quite like latex because of their rubberized smartgrid.

Loucks posted:

I got tired of waking up with my back hurting and bought this Stearns & Foster firm mattress. Entirely possible I’m throwing cash away like a moron, but until it started to go bad my current S&F luxury firm mattress was the only way I could sleep through the night without feeling like someone kicked me in the spine the next morning. For some reason there was a huge lead time, but hopefully when it shows up next week I’ll be able to enjoy sleep again. Feels weird to spend vacation money on a mattress. Thanks, Covid!

The S&F hybrids are nice. I don't like a firm mattress, but I had the opportunity to try that one a few months ago and was impressed. Their intellicoil is a pretty cool idea. I'm glad you had an S&F firm previously, because one of my previous beds was a S&F plush hybrid and it didn't soften for me even after over a year of use, and I ultimately had to get something else.

And if you got it from MF, you're not out too much money if you transition to something else, so there's that!

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Horn of Arby's posted:

I discovered that I had a major confounding situation with my mattress setup: my bed frame was totally hosed. This isn't surprising as I bought it over a decade ago, when I was a cash strapped student looking for the cheapest wood slat frame I could find.

I know I'll be upgrading from a full to a queen for my next mattress, so I bought a new high quality queen size frame in advance from KD Frames (excellent product, very happy with it so far). I built the new frame and put my current mattress on it, and suddenly everything became clear - my current mattress is too firm for me, but the problem with firmness became difficult to identify fuckiness due to the mattress being placed on a foundation that bowed beneath it.

Suffice it to say, I'm looking into plush mattresses now. Maybe I'll be able to find something that works long term now that I've accidentally identified and resolved the bed frame issue.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kefit posted:

I discovered that I had a major confounding situation with my mattress setup: my bed frame was totally hosed. This isn't surprising as I bought it over a decade ago, when I was a cash strapped student looking for the cheapest wood slat frame I could find.

A poorly communicated but huge reason that it's recommended that folks update their box foundation when they get a new mattress is due to it wearing, as well. Good platforms and adjustables are going to be significantly more durable than your average foundation, but it's something that often goes unnoticed!

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Were there recommendations for pillows for side/belly sleepers?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Turkson posted:

I also have this question! I’ve also been trying out a pillow on one side to lean onto and would like a more purpose built one. Also just any way to test what kind of size/firm options I think might work best for me

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

As a side sleeper, the neck-supporting 'wave' style pillows changed my life.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Synastren posted:

Any major brand innersprings that normally go for around $750+ are generally fine. Staples include: Sealy Posturepedic Premium, Serta Perfect Sleeper, BeautyRest Silver (I'd advise a BRS900 over any BR800). There are also some proprietary brands from large-to-semilarge furniture stores that are ok. Avoid connected/continuous coil systems. If you want to try some things that meet that criteria but are likely at the top of that budget, hit up something like the BeautyRest Pressuresmart collection at Mattress Firm, or their Harmony collection at whatever store you'd prefer.

Thank you. I need to just pull the trigger and buy one, but it's been hard to convince myself that I understand the market well enough and won't get screwed over again. It sounds like there's less to worry about if you simply spend enough money though.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Turkson posted:

I'm exclusively a side sleeper, and the only kind of pillow I can use comfortably is a pillow that is mostly just a single solid chunk of some kind of foam. Down, polyester, shredded foam, or anything else that can shift around is terrible for me.

Hotel stays for me invariably involve a lot of fighting with down pillows that squish flat beneath the weight of my head, providing no support at all unless I stack and fold multiple pillows in just the right way.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I like those bits of memory foam pillows you can adjust by removing some, that's whats worked for me as a sider.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

As a side sleeper, the neck-supporting 'wave' style pillows changed my life.

Same, I have an almost impossible time side sleeping without a wave shape pillow.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

A pillow should fill the gap between the mattress and your head. That will vary from person to person, and even between mattresses for the same person. There are two major dimensions to pillows: loft (i.e., thickness) and firmness. At the risk of being too explanatory, the firmer the pillow, the less your head will angle downwards. The thicker the pillow... the thicker the pillow. :shrug:

Essentially, loft lifts the head more, and firmness lets the head fall less.

I can't really recommend a great pillow for everyone because those permutations are so many. A dedicated side sleeper with broad shoulders on a medium mattress would likely need a fairly lofty pillow of medium firmness. Or a huge pillow that is soft. Or a rather thin pillow that is firm. If the mattress is softer, then we take away loft and/or firmness; we add it if the mattress is firmer. The relative firmness of the mattress will change how deep that individual's shoulders will sink, and therefore change the need of the well fit pillow.

I don't want to split hairs about which is more impactful between loft and firmness, because there is so much preference there, so I'll just use "more" or "less" and you can figure out how to allocate that according to your preferences!

Broad strokes:

• More:
    • Side sleeper
    • Broad frame
    • Firm mattress
  • Less:
    • Stomach sleeper
    • Slim frame
    • Soft mattress

Aside from those, it really is a case-by-case fitting thing. Be careful about going too hard on both loft and firmness, though, in either direction, else you run the risk of flexing your neck too hard up or down.

Also, a few pillow pro tips:
Back sleepers generally should pull the pillow about 1-2 inches below their shoulders. This reduces pressure on the neck, particularly the windpipe.
Side sleepers should angle the pillow downwards along their collarbone. This provides even support to the face.
Stomach sleepers may benefit from tucking the pillow under their upper chest, but this depends greatly on the particular way the arms are positioned.
For contoured pillows, generally use the thicker side if you sleep on your side, and the thinner side if you sleep on your back. Yes, this means for best effect, you should spin the pillow if you transition from side to back or vice versa!

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

If the thread search function can be trusted there's been no discussion of mattress selection for Murphy beds. Probably because mattresses aren't intended to be stored that way.

I'm in the early stages of looking into doing a wall bed with built-in shelving for a tiny spare room and I'm finding conflicting advice about what type of mattress to use. Some people say only coils, some people say never coils.

This wall bed company makes some specific claims about the Serta Perfect Sleeper being ideal but the features they rattle off don't sound terribly unique.
https://www.wallbedsbywilding.com/wallbed-mattress/

This other manufacturer says pretty much anything is fine and they sell innerspring & full foam.
https://www.wwbeds.com/mattress

:confused:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

If the thread search function can be trusted there's been no discussion of mattress selection for Murphy beds. Probably because mattresses aren't intended to be stored that way.

I'm in the early stages of looking into doing a wall bed with built-in shelving for a tiny spare room and I'm finding conflicting advice about what type of mattress to use. Some people say only coils, some people say never coils.

This wall bed company makes some specific claims about the Serta Perfect Sleeper being ideal but the features they rattle off don't sound terribly unique.
https://www.wallbedsbywilding.com/wallbed-mattress/

This other manufacturer says pretty much anything is fine and they sell innerspring & full foam.
https://www.wwbeds.com/mattress

:confused:

Connected coil mattresses would be the way to go if you want to stick with innersprings. All foam would also be fine.

Contrary to an every-day use mattress, avoid individually wrapped coil systems; those are the most averse to storage standing on their side.

I personally recommend all foam to most folks for Murphy bed setups. :shrug:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Based on this thread, we bought a Purple mattress about a year ago. Base model.

We frickin love it. Best mattress we've ever had. It took a few nights to get used to it feeling firm and soft at the same time, but now I lie down and I'm out like a light. Ms Cruft agrees that it's just the bee's knees.

Another particularly nice thing about it is that it can stay cool in the summer. We don't have air conditioning and this makes o tremendous difference in how well rested we are during the hotter nights.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice, maybe my trip report will help someone else.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I wish I had ponied up for a purple, I’m good most nights but like 3/month, between my apartment’s lovely thermostats and outside temps, something swings and I get a terrible sweaty night of no sleep

Its been better in the winter that the summer once I closed all the vents. My roommates said they were good with 67 F when we moved in and they lied :mad:

Don’t get me wrong, this mattress is 1000% better than my old one. There should be a mandatory class in highschool about sleep, sleep positions, and other poo poo. The improvements I’ve made over the last 3-4 years by really working on sleep stuff is crazy

Fellis fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 22, 2021

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I got that new Stearns & Foster mattress, and its weird. The previous one was the same firmness rating, but over the past ten years it became squishier to the point where it really didn't support my back. This new one is way more supportive, but I'm finding that I haven't fully adjusted to the increased firmness. I lie in bed thinking "I'll never get to sleep" because it pushes on my hips, but then I do finally fall asleep and have the most restful sleep I've experienced in years, waking up without any the crippling back pain that has contributed to me posting like a huge rear end in a top hat half the time recently.

Here's hoping I adjust to this mattress soon, because the part where I'm asleep is fantastic.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Loucks posted:

I got that new Stearns & Foster mattress, and its weird. The previous one was the same firmness rating, but over the past ten years it became squishier to the point where it really didn't support my back. This new one is way more supportive, but I'm finding that I haven't fully adjusted to the increased firmness. I lie in bed thinking "I'll never get to sleep" because it pushes on my hips, but then I do finally fall asleep and have the most restful sleep I've experienced in years, waking up without any the crippling back pain that has contributed to me posting like a huge rear end in a top hat half the time recently.

Here's hoping I adjust to this mattress soon, because the part where I'm asleep is fantastic.

It takes about a month for you and your new mattress to get used to each other. If you want to speed up the mattress' part, crawl or walk (carefully!) across where your shoulders/knees fall, and up and down the vertical center where no one sleeps a few times a week. More frequently, if you're feeling saucy!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
My Stearns and Foster Scarborough II mattress that I bought only 3 years ago is causing me all sort of backaches and pains. It feels fine when I lay on it, but when i wake up in the morning it's moved to fit my form. I have no idea what's going on with this thing. I inspected it and the box spring... and I think they both look OK as well? I have no idea what to look for. They both look level and respond with springiness when I push down on them.

I ordered a purple 3 based on recommendations from coworkers and trying one out in a furniture store.

When I was reinspecting them yesterday, I saw that there was a limited warranty on the mattress. I bought it from Art Van furniture, which means I think I'm SOL on that front, but if I can identify the problem with it maybe I can try to get a replacement? I have a spare room without a bed, so it can go to good use. I dunno how these limited warranties work. Reading them always leaves me more confused on whether or not they apply.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

ninjoatse.cx posted:

My Stearns and Foster Scarborough II mattress that I bought only 3 years ago is causing me all sort of backaches and pains. It feels fine when I lay on it, but when i wake up in the morning it's moved to fit my form. I have no idea what's going on with this thing. I inspected it and the box spring... and I think they both look OK as well? I have no idea what to look for. They both look level and respond with springiness when I push down on them.

I ordered a purple 3 based on recommendations from coworkers and trying one out in a furniture store.

When I was reinspecting them yesterday, I saw that there was a limited warranty on the mattress. I bought it from Art Van furniture, which means I think I'm SOL on that front, but if I can identify the problem with it maybe I can try to get a replacement? I have a spare room without a bed, so it can go to good use. I dunno how these limited warranties work. Reading them always leaves me more confused on whether or not they apply.

All mattress warranties are limited warranties, because it is not particularly difficult to void a warranty if you don't maintain it. For example, a stain the size of a quarter will void almost all mattress warranties. Tearing off the law tag will void a warranty. Damaging the mattress will void a warranty.

Standard quilted top warranties (i.e., innerspring mattresses with a quilted top layer, whether a tight top or pillow top, etc.) protect against body impressions--without weight--equal to or greater than 1.5 inches. Purple's warranty protects against impressions equal to or greater than 1 inch. Note that these warranties are held with the manufacturer, not the retailer, in most cases.

If you do not see an impression without weight, it may be just disproportionate wear, particularly if you find your sleeping position and never move again. You may be able to breathe life back into the mattress by willfully wearing everywhere else around where you sleep by walking or crawling in areas you contact (e.g., shoulder, knee) the mattress. It is also possible, but exceedingly unlikely, that you have a mattress that has failed in a way that does not show by impression.

If I were you, I'd try to break things in more evenly first, which you may wish to do while your warranty claim is in process--it generally takes about 4-6 weeks for most manufacturers to review and decide warranty claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Should I be taking the mattress of the box spring to try to wear it? I'm thinking about sleeping on the mattress just on the ground for a few night to see if the box spring may be the issue. I wish there was a way to check the wear of the mattress or box spring like checking the wear of your tires with a penny.