Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I have a soft spot for a lot of the pretty minor characters in the game, but there's definitely a "bottom of the barrel" list that I don't think anyone would miss, like Neofio, Turnip, Sneff, pretty much the entire -cha clan.... I'd include Poshul, but I'll admit his line about "I wonder if Lenna thpontaneouthry combuthted!" got a genuine chuckle out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I will hate Sneff as long as I live

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

poshul's good but as like...an addition to leena maybe? make her a rinoa-type character.

if i were choosing b-listers to preserve it would be mojo, greco, grobyc, and pip. maybe make karsh and zoah a tag team character or something because all caps is a good gimmick in moderation and they're bros.

i remain convinced that nobody on this earth who wasn't completing some kind of gamefaqs perfect file challenge has ever willingly used steena or sneff

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't remember who sneff is and then began listing characters in Chrono Cross, a game I've not played in more than a decade and became terrified when I could remember 20+ of them.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I would miss Macha because it rules that a large black woman is apparently one of the strongest characters in the game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Poshul should be the only other party member

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Barudak posted:

I don't remember who sneff is and then began listing characters in Chrono Cross, a game I've not played in more than a decade and became terrified when I could remember 20+ of them.

Terrible. Awful.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Blockhouse posted:

Terrible. Awful.

Very brave of a JRPG to let you have a heroin addict in your party

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Terrible. Awful.

This doesn't appear to be a picture of actual garbage person Korcha so not sure how bad this guy could be

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Apparently Sneff and Guile have a pretty cool dual tech, this is not enough to justify Sneff's existence however.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Professor Beetus posted:

I think one of the worst decisions was bloating the cast so that party members had to be interchangeable in enough places to ruin the development of most of the game's recruitable characters.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I didn't know you could recruit Leena at the beginning of the game by turning down Kid. I got an hour or two further and found this out, and thought "she's serge's girlfriend in the other world, she must be really important." So I restarted. Joke was on me, she never said or did anything important for the rest of the time I played the game. It was the same with almost every other character. Once they're recruited, they just disappear into the background.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Blockhouse posted:

Terrible. Awful.

The art style here makes it look like he fell out of a bad Suikoden

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Sneff was a card magician who got caught up by Fargo in a work-for-food trap in a cruise ship and you break him out of his servitude. That's more than I can tell you about Irvine, Zell, Amarant or Quina.

I've also only played Trigger once after Cross so those aspects don't mean anything to me, but CC seems about on par other RPGs of that time in terms of only the main 2-3 having any interesting plot and the rest being forgettable. Taking a big pink dog and a voodoo doll to the final apocalyptic battle is way cooler than if you just had 8 people and were stuck with lames like Leena and Kid. I dunno, FF7-9 all had "I use these 3, don't like the rest" syndrome so CC was just that on a larger scale.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Electromax posted:

Sneff was a card magician who got caught up by Fargo in a work-for-food trap in a cruise ship and you break him out of his servitude. That's more than I can tell you about Irvine, Zell, Amarant or Quina.

Sneff can also just straight up turn people into cats.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

Sneff can also just straight up turn people into cats.

Or for some people, MORE into a cat!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

How can you forget the greatest character arc of:
Zell wants hot dogs

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Golden Goat posted:

How can you forget the greatest character arc of:
Zell wants hot dogs

A Costco man in a Costco-less world. Tragic

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Thank God Zell was there craving hotdogs or Squall may have never known to include them in his war speech.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Honestly FF8's junction system transferring growth from characters to GFs and items meant it would've been a perfect candidate for a CC-style system of "the characters in the party are cosmetic, you can take various characters." Squall and Rinoa had the only real plot that spanned the game already, so why not replace Zell with Cid or one of the squid sculptors or the Balamb Doctor or the card queen.

"All 40 of us attended the same orphanage?!"

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I know this is just me being dumb but it took me way too long to realize you guys were talking about Chrono Cross and not Crystal Chronicles or Crisis Core

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Xad posted:

I know this is just me being dumb but it took me way too long to realize you guys were talking about Chrono Cross and not Crystal Chronicles or Crisis Core

Same. I was thinking Crystal Chronicles must get way darker after the point I stopped playing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

For chrono cross I would have liked if it was like FFIV where characters swap in and out depending on the scenario and have more lines directly related to their segments.

Still cut out a bunch of them though.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I want to know who they were designing all those characters for?

I was the target demographic:
been playing jrpgs my whole life,
had tons of hours to spare playing vids,
and I hadn't discovered sandbox strategy games on PC.

I played thru the game exactly once. To be honest, I think it started my transition to PC gaming :shrug:

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The one thing I remember about Sneff is that he got a weapon that was as strong as the Rainbow weapon for the weapon type without having to grind for it and that I was disappointed when his damage didn't actually overtake anyone else I was using in the party at the time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have always maintained this is the ideal CC Party:

Team Main Plot: Serge, Kid, Harle, Leena, Guile as Magus
Team Demihuman Subplot: Fargo, Nikki, Marcy or Irenes
Team Dario Subplot: Karsh, Glenn, Riddel

Throw in Draggy with more backstory and connections to Dragons.

The problem with my selection is, and the reason why I think there are so many characters, is I don't have a single Yellow character in my party. Maybe Norris can fit in her somewhere but that's still only one. I think the party is so bloated to try and give you as many characters of each Innate as possible.

Although I noticed in my last run that there is no Yellow Mage. All Yellow characters are Physical focused like the aforementioned Norris. The awesome unique and superpowerful ThunderStorm, which only Innate Yellows can use, is wasted on them.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

CC also had the bizarre problem of there being 45 characters but a 3 character party limit. One of which has to be occupied by Serge. Come on!

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
CT was my favorite SNES game and CC looked ugly as sin to me even in the PS1 era so I never played it

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I made a poster sheet with most of the party characters along with the bestiary recently, didn't post here because FF:
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1428526907755274247?s=20
I didn't remember most of the bottom row.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CC was good because it wasn't afraid to have characters who suck. Some people just suck! Just because you want to go on a quest for a legendary relic doesn't mean you're actually any good at it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A fun fact I realized a few years ago was how blatantly some dude just made up all the female party members' weights with no frame of reference anywhere in te real world:

Irenes: 5'10" and 115 lbs.(she is a mermaid tho if that matters?)
Janice: 5'7" and 104 lbs. (her Build is "Plumpish")
Kid: 5'5" and 99 lbs.
Leah: 3'5" and 71 lbs. (she's six-years-old. Also I guess women don't gain too much weight after this)
Leena: 5'5" and 95 lbs.
Luccia: 5'9" and 97 lbs.
Macha: 5'6" and 150 lbs. (Build is "Stout" and she's a 30-year-old Demihuman)
Marcy: 4'9" and 84 lbs. (another little kid who I guess will only gain about 10 pounds)
Miki: 5'7" and 95 lbs.
Orlha: 5'5" and 119 lbs. (Build is "Muscular" This is actaully acceptable)
Razzly: 3'7" and 11 lbs. (tiny Fairy. Okay)
Riddel: 5'7" and 104 lbs. (not bad)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I want a remastered CC eventually but not as bad as I want a remastered Vagrant Story.

Still easily on the most stylish, atmospheric, and well-written games on PS1. The intro cinematic is absolutely incredible in terms of what they were able to achieve with the tech they had. It's pretty much sitting with MGS1 in their own tier of technical achievement.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've done like 4 attempts at Chrono Cross and always seem to flame out around the aisle of the damned.

Maybe I should attempt it with fast forward for once.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

I can name like 5 and i played it last like...7 years ago

I really liked starky and guile, pretty much used them exclusively with serge so thats mostly why i dont remember the rest

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Although I noticed in my last run that there is no Yellow Mage. All Yellow characters are Physical focused like the aforementioned Norris. The awesome unique and superpowerful ThunderStorm, which only Innate Yellows can use, is wasted on them.

you are supposed to be able to evolve pip into a yellow mage by going angel -> butterfly form but his stat growth is famously screwed up such that he retains his base form stat growth even after evolution so yeah, there is no yellow mage

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Suikoden 2 had a ton of characters and managed to make them interesting even if it was only like 4 lines of backstory per character.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

NikkolasKing posted:

the best FF game of all loving time.

lets not rewrite history here

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NikkolasKing posted:

Riddel: 5'7" and 104 lbs. (not bad)

:psyduck: Unhealthily underweight is in fact bad.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

lets not rewrite history here

Even though it's not my personal favorite, FFX is the one I recommend people play if they've never played an FF before and want to try the series out. The X/X-2 remaster is readily available and the best way to play it, and as a total package (gameplay, story, music, art) it's easily one of the best games in the series. The worst thing you can really say about it objectively is that the cutscenes are unskippable and the voice direction is pretty bad in places.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Chillgamesh posted:

Even though it's not my personal favorite, FFX is the one I recommend people play if they've never played an FF before and want to try the series out. The X/X-2 remaster is readily available and the best way to play it, and as a total package (gameplay, story, music, art) it's easily one of the best games in the series. The worst thing you can really say about it objectively is that the cutscenes are unskippable and the voice direction is pretty bad in places.

the collection doesnt have the prequel tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lotus Aura posted:

The art style here makes it look like he fell out of a bad Suikoden

Whichsuikodengameareyoutalkingaboutcoulditbetierkriesforthenintendodswherethemaincharactertalksreallyfast?