Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
"it’ll be a joint decision between BBC Studios and the top decision-makers at the BBC"

Is my window open? I just felt a chill.

Edit: Not the worst page snipe I've seen, but not great. See original post:

Timby posted:

From Radio Times:

quote:

Writing in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine, Chibnall said: “The big change that happened during our tenure has been Doctor Who being produced through BBC Studios, rather than the BBC’s in-house Drama Department.

“It’s a difference which won’t really have affected how you view the show, but it affects the process by which the programme is made, managed and planned strategically.

“The appointment of a new showrunner is a commercially sensitive decision (way above the pay grade of an incumbent showrunner) so it’ll be a joint decision between BBC Studios and the top decision-makers at the BBC.”​

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Narsham posted:

"it’ll be a joint decision between BBC Studios and the top decision-makers at the BBC"

Is my window open? I just felt a chill.

I hear Mike Richards is available.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If they're the reason we only get like 3 episodes followed by an 18 month hiatus followed by one episode followed by a 15 month hiatus then it very much DOES affect the way I watch the program :argh:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The animated recon is pretty good even if you miss out a lot of Troughton's physical acting. The dalek factory sequence is amazing.

It is!

But dammit you weren't supposed to read under that tag, now our chances of finding the original broadcast are lost FOREVER! :gonk:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

The_Doctor posted:

That reads like they want a Name running it?

The BBC is determined to emulate the US "showrunner" model of doing things, even if it kills the shows they're supposed to be running :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Dumb filthy American speaking here, but if a US-style showrunner model means we actually get 10-13 episodes each year instead of *waves hands at the last decade of Who release schedules* then I’m all for it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not really sure how a showrunner approach is that different to what Andrew Cartmel, Hinchliffe/Holmes, RTD, Moffat, etc. did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

but if <X> means we actually get 10-13 episodes each year instead of *waves hands at the last decade of Who release schedules* then I’m all for it.

Given people were positive that it was Moffat's handling of the show that caused this weird release schedule, only for it to continue under Chibnall, I can only assume the problem/cause is somewhere higher up in the BBC itself.

Also we already had a US-style showrunner, his name was RTD. He consciously chose to follow the Whedon-style approach to Buffy, and Moffat and Chibnall continued in that tradition. Classic Doctor Who was a joint operation between the Executive Producer and the Script Editor as the two major forces running the show, and sometimes that worked out REALLY well (Hinchcliffe and Holmes) and sometimes it really didn't (JNT and Eric Saward). When RTD got the go-ahead to make Who, though he had an Executive Producer who obviously played a very large part in the running of the show, it was very much understood that he was the guy ultimately in charge.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Classic Who had the Producer and Script Editor model. The producer is typically the organisational one, dealing with the top down view of TV production managing budget, casting, making sure the sets are built, etc. That was people like Verity Lambert, Barry Letts, Philip Hinchcliffe, John Nathan-Turner, etc. They were effectively The Boss. But fundamentally they weren’t involved much in the actual writing other than ‘I’ve read Terrance Dicks’ latest script, tell me to tone down the green a bit.’

That’s the sort of direction he’d give to the Script Editor, who was more or less in charge of the writing and writers. The script editor would commission writers, go over the stories, suggest changes, fix this bit up, etc. Sometimes they’d even write for the show as Robert Holmes often did, but a BBC rule says they can’t write for the same show they’re currently script editor for.

NuWho has taken all this and amalgamated all of this into the showrunner model where the producer is now Exec Producer, in charge of the running as before, but they’re also Head Writer, churning out their own scripts, shaping the season arcs, tightening other writers’ work, etc. The script editor these days doesn’t commission anyone, and just seems to be a perfunctory role, rather than a creative one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I don't know why I said Executive Producer for the Classic series, as opposed to Producer :doh:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I don't know why I said Executive Producer for the Classic series, as opposed to Producer :doh:

Are you feeling OK? Perhaps you should sit down. I have a nice black leather chair right over here...

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Comedy option: Give it to Nick Briggs. Every story becomes [Noun] of the Daleks, series 3 of Charley Pollard is delayed even further.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Letts co-wrote episodes during his time as producer, so he was closer to the current showrunner model.

And the current model is, or at least has been, more complex than presented. RTD was executive producer and showrunner on nuWho, but Julie Gardner was also executive producer and head of Drama for BBC Wales. So at “best,” the showrunner model gives authority to the head writer (along with an expectation the showrunner writes for the show, where someone like Robert Holmes had difficulties writing for Who while script editor), but the financial person is still there.

And I have no idea the practical effects of having RTD as showrunner when Gardner was head of drama for BBC Wales. In show terms, exec prod Davies outranked Gardner, but he was working for BBC Wales drama and that made Gardner his boss. Most likely they were closer to partners and operated as a unit. Moffat had issues with his financial exec producers and went thru a number of them; Chibnall hasn’t. Whether any of this is driving the production issues or whether they’re occurring because of broader BBC problems I’m in no position to say, but Gardner definitely deserves some credit for early nuWho.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Beeb is run by people who think the Beeb shouldn't exist

An Ounce of Gold posted:

and it was clearly NOT a production mistake and a LOT of people were getting mad when we pointed it out.

It could easily have been though, given that "is the doctor wearing a coat or not" was a production mistake that they'd already done that season

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 1, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Narsham posted:

but Gardner definitely deserves some credit for early nuWho.

Oh for sure :hai:

CobiWann posted:

Are you feeling OK? Perhaps you should sit down. I have a nice black leather chair right over here...

A ridiculous notion! My will is too strong for me to sit down, now if you'll just stop lurking ominously around the back of my car I'm going to drive home to my modest suburban home where, hopefully, my wife has the central heating on to take the bite off this cold snap we're having...

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It could easily have been though, given that "is the doctor wearing a coat or not" was a production mistake that they'd already done that season

Don't you start up again! It was a very specific set shot... maybe it's because I do freelance writing and storyboarding for a living, but it seemed super obvious (as obvious as the painting that wasn't important!).

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Narsham posted:

Jed Mercurio it is then

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

That reads like they want a Name running it?

The return of Steven Moffat.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The return of Steven Moffat.

BBC backing up dump trucks full of money to either Moffat's or RTD'S house, in true "Vince McMahon trying to bring Brock Lesnar back" style.

But because it's the BBC and this is Doctor Who, the dump trucks full of money are basically full of pennies :v:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
So in blu-ray news, it seems an entry for Season 17 has appeared on a Swiss website.

Which is absolutely fantastic as far as I’m concerned!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh excellent, I wondered when they’d do the next one.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Will it include Shada('s animated recon)?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Speaking of production mistakes, tonight's random story was Warriors of the Deep. It could have been good if a) the production wasn't poo poo and b) saward hadn't sawarded all over the script after being urged on by ian levine

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Will it include Shada('s animated recon)?

All the versions of Shada please.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Speaking of production mistakes, tonight's random story was Warriors of the Deep. It could have been good if a) the production wasn't poo poo and b) saward hadn't sawarded all over the script after being urged on by ian levine

I love that bit in Warriors where the Doctor gets knocked over a railing and he's barely even halfway over before Turlough is shouting,"Forget it Tegan, he's clearly dead and we have to abandon his corpse!" and trying to haul her away.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 4, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

All the versions of Shada please.

When binging, it just plays a random Shada, so you never know which one you're going to get.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Levine ruins a lot of things, but at least he allegedly got the script changed so the Silurians didn’t arrive in their spaceship from the planet Siluria...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Saw Mark Gatiss at lunchtime today sitting outside a restaurant near the BBC in London. Clearly getting offered the Who gig. Obviously.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

BBC backing up dump trucks full of money to either Moffat's or RTD'S house, in true "Vince McMahon trying to bring Brock Lesnar back" style.

But because it's the BBC and this is Doctor Who, the dump trucks full of money are basically full of pennies :v:

"Is that a two-pence? My my, aren't we feeling gnerous today!"

Davros1 posted:

When binging, it just plays a random Shada, so you never know which one you're going to get.

Part one of one adaptation, part two from another, the third's actually just a low-res picture of a novel adaptation...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Saw Mark Gatiss at lunchtime today sitting outside a restaurant near the BBC in London. Clearly getting offered the Who gig. Obviously.

Gatiss: I have one unshakeable demand. I am given free access to Jon Pertwee's entire 3rd Doctor wardrobe.
BBC: But they've been stuffed in a cardboard box in a mildewy ro-
Gatiss: Did I loving stutter?

Tangentially, the mildewy room used to house all the 1st and 2nd Doctor film canisters.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Gatiss: I have one unshakeable demand. I am given free access to Jon Pertwee's entire 3rd Doctor wardrobe.
BBC: But they've been stuffed in a cardboard box in a mildewy ro-
Gatiss: Did I loving stutter?

Tangentially, the mildewy room used to house all the 1st and 2nd Doctor film canisters.

***door opens to empty room***
BBC: Oh poo poo, wait, we gave the key to Capaldi...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

***door opens to empty room***
BBC: Oh poo poo, wait, we gave the key to Capaldi...

Gatiss: Gave?
BBC: Okay fine, he overpowered us :smith:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Jerusalem posted:

Gatiss: Gave?
BBC: Okay fine, he overpowered us :smith:

While they were studying the blade, he was studying Venusian Akido!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The missing episodes turn up, but for some reason there's now a Chumbley in every story in some way, shape, or form

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 3, 2021

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Vinylshadow posted:

The missing episodes turn up, but for some reason there's now a Chumbley in every story in some way, shape, or form

It's like The Haunting of Hill House. There's always one in the background JUST out of frame, or crouched under the TARDIS console, or hiding inside a Dalek's shell.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jerusalem posted:

I love that bit in Warrirors where the Doctor gets knocked over a railing and he's barely even halfway over before Turlough is shouting,"Forget it Tegan, he's clearly dead and we have to abandon his corpse!" and trying to haul her away.

It's one of my favourite cliffhangers in the entire show.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I liked the Seventh Doctor climbing over a railing for no reason in the first act of Dragonfire and slowly sliding down his umbrella with various "what the hell am I doing" expressions marching across his face

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Vinylshadow posted:

I liked the Seventh Doctor climbing over a railing for no reason in the first act of Dragonfire and slowly sliding down his umbrella with various "what the hell am I doing" expressions marching across his face

I love that one, I remember watching as a kid and thinking "Why did he do that?", and expecting it to make sense the following week.

The following week, it did not make any sense.

I got the blu-ray set, and saw it for the first time since I was a kid and it DOES make sense, it's just... they forgot to shoot all the parts, as a joke?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

BooDooBoo posted:

I got the blu-ray set, and saw it for the first time since I was a kid and it DOES make sense, it's just... they forgot to shoot all the parts, as a joke?

Assuming it’s not included in the ridiculous amount of studio footage, I suspect they didn’t have time to film it and figured it wasn’t worth doing later.

Of course, they should have just gone for the more traditional cliffhanger of Mel screaming as they meet the dragon...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/ballardiangorse/status/1434581545797529604?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm trying to think of a "phucking" joke, but I can't come up with one.