Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I really liked this episode!

The groundhog day bit at the start was a bit of a yawn, but I guess they had to set the stage. But then, whoo boy did this get goofy, and in a wonderful way. Let's spend centuries absorbing creatures from the Dungeon Dimensions to become Mephisto Strange Supreme, what could possibly go wrong? Also, CAPE FIGHT

e: new page edit, spoilers ahoy for What If episode 4

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Risque of Disney to dedicate an ep to why why Strange should just stick to dating his hand

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved that (very end of episode spoilers) The Watcher basically told Strange,"You hosed around, you found out, live with the consequences <:mad:>"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Professor Beetus posted:

Exactly! And what the gently caress did they replace all that with once he had the surgery to not need that poo poo any more?

The surgery was using the Extremis to let him regrow his missing flesh.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
It felt weird that the episode opened with the Watcher acknowledging the existence of the previous episodes.

I think that implies there is only 1 true Watcher amongst the entire MCU multiverse. This is probably already canon.

If so, AND If we really are getting a team-up episode of all the alt universe characters , then what's to stop evil cartoon Dr. Strange from hopping universes into the live action MCU and being a bad influence on Peter Parker?

Also, at the end, i thought the red magic stopping Strange was gonna be coming from Wanda. Last episode's surprise Hank Pym has me hoping for more surprises.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

It felt weird that the episode opened with the Watcher acknowledging the existence of the previous episodes.

I think that implies there is only 1 true Watcher amongst the entire MCU multiverse. This is probably already canon.

If so, AND If we really are getting a team-up episode of all the alt universe characters , then what's to stop evil cartoon Dr. Strange from hopping universes into the live action MCU and being a bad influence on Peter Parker?

Also, at the end, i thought the red magic stopping Strange was gonna be coming from Wanda. Last episode's surprise Hank Pym has me hoping for more surprises.

Don't they show a bunch of watchers in Guardians 2?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Necrothatcher posted:

I kinda thought the whole fixed and unchangeable moment in time thing was kinda undermined by Christine not dying in the regular MCU.

I figured each reality within the multiverse has its own unique set of fixed points in time, moments that define it in relation to the other realities. Strange losing his hands would be such a moment in the film reality.

EDIT: Also, drat that was grim. That’s the kind of stuff I’d come to expect from the What if…? comics.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 1, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Strange;Gate

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

It felt weird that the episode opened with [spoiler] the Watcher acknowledging the existence of the previous episodes.

The show is literally marvel does interdimensional tv.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Good episode. I liked its score a lot, it felt like a mix between Sunshine and Army of the Dead's cover of Zombie.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
That was some top quality What If.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Phylodox posted:

EDIT: Also, drat that was grim. That’s the kind of stuff I’d come to expect from the What if…? comics.

All it was missing is a dead Spiderman. Maybe he could have absentmindedly swung into the path of a stray fireball or something.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This is solely personal to me, but given that my wife passed away a couple weeks ago, I probably should have waited to watch this episode. I hadn't read anything about it, so I didn't realize what it was going to be about. It wrecked me.

I'm gonna need some more alone time. This wasn't the distraction I was hoping for today.

Not a criticism of the episode. Good episode.

Sorry, felt the need to say this somewhere.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

thrawn527 posted:

This is solely personal to me, but given that my wife passed away a couple weeks ago, I probably should have waited to watch this episode. I hadn't read anything about it, so I didn't realize what it was going to be about. It wrecked me.

I'm gonna need some more alone time. This wasn't the distraction I was hoping for today.

Sorry that happened to you, man. Yeah, I could see that being rough on you.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

thrawn527 posted:

Sending love.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

thrawn527 posted:

:sympathy:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

thrawn527 posted:

Oh god, Im so sorry man.
It's ok to vent, no need to be sorry.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Arist posted:

Strange;Gate

Destined to be an underrated comment. As a consolation prize, I award you one bottle of Dr. Pepper.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

thrawn527 posted:

Man that's awful. Sorry to hear about that.

But yea this what if... was clearly if Strange was less of an rear end. But it always love that causes the further fall than hate. Strange would literally let the world end than not have Christine. Also the Watcher interacting with Strange showed that he is an actual being that is observing all this, and not just a framing device.

I am going to assume that MCU Watchers are beings that exist across all timelines and realities, and each is connected with their other selves, so one being is observing everything. Uatu just watches all the various earths.

swickles posted:

I laughed during last weeks What If? when Widow jumped out of the window and did the super hero pose.

Yea, i won't be able to look at her do that without thinking of Yelena dunking on her. I really hope there is a conversation in Hawkeye between Yelena, Kate and Clint about it; "I always thought it was cool"

Also my Disney + on my Ps4 was real lovely today. I reinstalled it and its still just failing to load anything, giving me error 83, which is literally just the Problem Light from Venture Bros. Having an error code for just "somethings not right" isn't very helpful.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 1, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I laughed that the credits music was a soundalike for Time from Inception.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Really enjoyed the new episode. Space Octopus appearing again was interesting. Wondering if it or Bad Strange is going end up being a villain for the last episode of the season. Would LOVE for Bad Strange to appear in Doctor Strange 2 just to see the effect where he absorbs things in live action. Tragic What Ifs are the best What Ifs.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
This was the first actually great What If. Dark, deeply sad, and doing something so much more than swapping a few existing pieces around a bit. Honestly, it’s only the way the ending goes all in that stops it being an actual Doctor Strange movie.

Also, sending big internet hugs to Thrawn527.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

gently caress me that was bleak. Loved it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I think creme brulee is actually a super overrated dessert and is nowhere near as good as say a chocolate lava cake

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Grumbles posted:

I think creme brulee is actually a super overrated dessert and is nowhere near as good as say a chocolate lava cake

Mods!!??

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Grumbles posted:

Agreed. I think it is thought to be fancy because of the whole setting it on fire thing. Extra work = makes it better.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

twistedmentat posted:

Agreed. I think it is thought to be fancy because of the whole setting it on fire thing. Extra work = makes it better.

What if... twistedmentat had actual tastebuds?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

This always has and always will be bullshit. I would download a Ferrari Testarossa in a fuckin' heartbeat, and about a dozen other cars besides.

Anyway, while I think they really should have gone harder on the visual weirdness, I really appreciated this ep, it pressed a whole lot of depressing buttons I really relate to right now. And Bug Cloak > Strange's Cloak.

Jerusalem posted:

I loved that (very end of episode spoilers) The Watcher basically told Strange,"You hosed around, you found out, live with the consequences <:mad:>"

Yeah, it you could tell this one held him in the high esteem the 616 version holds Hank McCoy.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
One hand: My name (Christine) is said over and over again like I'm an object rather than a person. Hearing my name in fiction weirds me out and I don't know why.
Other hand: Benedict Cumberbatch says my name over and over again
:swoon:

This episode could have been a movie and I would pay real money and possibly go to a real theater to watch it.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Something I liked thematically: the episode is an attack on Fridging, not from a feminist position (which goes without saying) but on the also-true basis that traumatic loss of a loved one and manpain doesn't lead to a hero, it leads to someone trapped by grief and not moving forward. Because our Strange lost his hands, he was able to learn about his own flaws (overvaluing of his skills and the need to fix everything); the Strange who lost Christine but still had all his own advantages was just lost. While he found meaning, he just traded one set of amazing skills for another, and was never forced by his physical brokenness to address his core brokenness. So instead of realizing he's not a god able to fix everything, he remains sure he can.

Really, the end of his world at his hands is only half as bad as it seems -- that Strange would never have accepted the One Outcome on Titan, and would have kept fighting until everyone there, including Tony, was dead.

I also have thoughts about the Absolute Point blablah but no one wants to hear me talk about "binding point for this sheaf of timelines," so I'll leave off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mameluke posted:

Good episode. I liked its score a lot, it felt like a mix between Sunshine and Army of the Dead's cover of Zombie.

I definitely kept hearing snatches of the Sunshine soundtrack in there, so I’m glad it wasn’t just me.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Really enjoyed the new episode. Space Octopus appearing again was interesting. Wondering if it or Bad Strange is going end up being a villain for the last episode of the season. Would LOVE for Bad Strange to appear in Doctor Strange 2 just to see the effect where he absorbs things in live action. Tragic What Ifs are the best What Ifs.

Strange Supreme looks like a devil and has the Eye of Agamotto. Spider-Man 3 has a Strange with the Eye of Agamotto acting out of character who might have some motivation for messing with the multiverse. Mephisto anyone?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lid posted:

What if... twistedmentat had actual tastebuds?

Yes, because if you prefer something over another thing, that means the other thing is literally the worst thing. You can only ever love your hate something, you can't ever have any degrees of like. That's how it works on the internet.

Though I am yet to find a good lactose free creme brulee.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Great episode.

What If? Episode Four Spoilers
I feel bad for Alt!Strange. Maybe if he had gotten the rest of the Infinity Stones, it would have worked.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Infinitum posted:

He also replaced his penis with an arc reactor.

Why are all those normal school kids flying around Iron Strange?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

thrawn527 posted:

You have my sympathy. Never feel bad expressing your grief. I hope you have loving people around you, right now.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Arist posted:

Strange;Gate

I prefer "Life Is Doctor Strange." Bonus: the working title for that game was "What If?" until legal told them they couldn't for presumably this exact reason.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 2, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uhhhhh holy poo poo that episode

I don't think I was prepared for how good it was

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I thought it was ok, did it seem darkly lit for most of the episode? I understand needing to have Winter Soldier/Falcon with a night battle for budget reasons but c’mon you’re making a cartoon, light it up a bit.

It felt 10 minutes too long and too predictable. Strange might destroy the universe if he persists in his path. Yup that’s what happens. The absorbing part was tedious and felt padded. Here’s a gnome and he’s gonna absorb it. Now a bird. Now a goat thing. And so on, with none of them giving him a fight or being interesting character designs. C’mon you’re making a throwaway story, break out the ultra weird dimensional creatures.

The ending felt too safe. Yup you did the bad thing and it didn’t work now everyone is dead. Why not have him succeed but be driven insane, and have him ruling an empty waste with a terrified Christine by his side? Whenever she tries to escape have him bring her back? That could work for a horror twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I swear, the next episode could feature Darth Mickey skull-loving Stan Lee's corpse for 10 minutes as he rants about how nerds are annoying shitheads, and there'd be someone complaining that it was too safe.