Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Can a Legend witch get to CL40? 20 of witch, 10 of hellknight signifier, 10 of winter witch? Or does that not work for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
My thug 4 two handed figther 4 making huge water elementals turn tail and run in fright is so funny

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

heyf riends. this is making me want to do a first playthrough of game 1. i was thinking of either the dex scion build or the kineticist from https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-kingmaker/builds/Main_Character

any thoughts on either?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What's the story with the voice acting for this one? I was not a fan of the patchwork nature of the voice acting in the first one. I've come to accept that I just don't have the patience to read video game dialogue anymore.

VA in games likes this doesn't work for me and I think this was one of the things PFKM did right. You hear enough during character introduction for them to be recognizeable, and then you hear them during some defining moments. Full voiceover is awkward when you don't have the cinematic animated characters. Even early basic 3D models of Knights of the Old Republic helped a lot. Staring at a static screen with a text that is read to you doesn't feel good. Pillars of Eternity 2 and Divinity Original Sin 2 did full VA and I think it harmed those games.

I'd rather want for them to go Infinity Engine route - give almost every NPC some bark, probably less generic.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

queeb posted:

heyf riends. this is making me want to do a first playthrough of game 1. i was thinking of either the dex scion build or the kineticist from https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-kingmaker/builds/Main_Character

any thoughts on either?

If you're playing on the recommended normal settings you can go with a single class you like. But if I'd have to choose I'd recommend Scion. Chances are you won't have enough tanks in your party. If you aren't proficient with the systems and don't do crazy things you basically have a single proper tank, and chances are you won't like this character, so it's good if your MC fills that role.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

CottonWolf posted:

Can a Legend witch get to CL40? 20 of witch, 10 of hellknight signifier, 10 of winter witch? Or does that not work for some reason?

Legend isn't in Beta or Alpha so we can't know. My guts tell me no.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm still on my first playthrough of PFKM, and I think I've hit one of those notorious difficulty spikes in the Varnhold quest line. Is there a good way to protect yourself from negative energy beings that drain levels, or should you just kite them?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Red Crown posted:

I'm still on my first playthrough of PFKM, and I think I've hit one of those notorious difficulty spikes in the Varnhold quest line. Is there a good way to protect yourself from negative energy beings that drain levels, or should you just kite them?

Death Ward, level 4 cleric spell (and on a bunch of other class spell lists too).

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

FuzzySlippers posted:

My wotr key actually keeps saying its a duplicate key and I emailed them yesterday but no response so far. With their forum down I'm assuming it is hair on fire busy over there.

it is, they are active on their official discord too and have a channel just for portal issues, they are running 48-72hrs to respond to emails because they got so many

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

queeb posted:

any thoughts on either?

If you dump str on a scion you're going to have a lousy time dealing damage until you get the feats and weapons that circumvent str for hit and damage . Personally I would go with a str scion 18 str 16 cha if human 18/18 if tiefling (also dumping int to 7 even as human sounds horrid) and leave the tanking to Valerie until your spell defenses come online.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

alright this should work as Lich too, half your crew can be undead so you just Harm everyone (the others can use potions and wands)

but would I need to push INT to cast the seperate Lich spells?

If you're doing it for WotR and are going lich, you should be able to skip death domain since one of the benefits of healing from negative energy you'd already get from lich.

But again, don't look at harm as your capacity to heal. Force yourself to be aggressive with the cleric. Use your channel negative energy as a means of doing damage first that just happens to heal all the undead companions around you. Load up with slay living, inflict wound, and the like specifically to use on enemies.

My whole thought experiment was a means to break people of thinking cleric is for heals and nothing else

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 1, 2021

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

In combat healing is atrocious. Downtime healing is much less opportunity cost.

That's by design.

Use your in combat actions (the precious few dozens you get) to murder things fastest to return to "out of combat". Then use your luxurious out of combat time (of which you get millions of rounds worth of actions) to do your healing. If you absolutely have to heal during combat, try to do it using non-standard actions (paladins can swift action lay on hands themselves) or all at once (heal, and sufficiently large channel energy)

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Quick question: How does Lich merge spell books work with prestige classes that progress casting like Winter Witch or Mythic Theurge?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there a good introduction to / breakdown of whatever version of Pathfinder WotR is using? I played the first game and I've played D&D from 2nd through 5th but Pathfinder seems to have gone far enough off in its own direction now that reading this thread I'm seeing a lot of terms I don't recognize ("scion" etc).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

1st edition Pathfinder with a few things dropped and a few custom archetypes unique to the video games.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a good introduction to / breakdown of whatever version of Pathfinder WotR is using? I played the first game and I've played D&D from 2nd through 5th but Pathfinder seems to have gone far enough off in its own direction now that reading this thread I'm seeing a lot of terms I don't recognize ("scion" etc).

It's not using any specific version. Scion is a reference to an archtype for Magus that makes it a Cha casting pseudo bloodrager. WotR mostly picks and chooses content from PF to include and while a lot of it functions a lot like PnP PF, certain options (feats/talents/archtypes) aren't available which dramatically changes the "power" of some of the builds (like Arcanist not having access to quick study).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

(Eldritch) Scion is just one of the Magus subclasses; it's present in the first game too. It's basically "Magus, but like Sorcerer instead of like Wizard)." Regongar is one.

WotR is using exactly the same system as the first one, with the addition of more classes/races/subclasses, and the new Mythic stuff, which is loosely based on a pnp thing, but is far enough afield that no amount of reading the base material will help.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm pretty sure I am going to roll a Sylvan Sorc, but I cannot figure out why that build calls for 18 DEX

I'm not gonna be partaking in melee combat, but 18 DEX seems like a bit much for a dodge tank

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I am kind of amazed they still didn't put Summoner in. Someone managed to hack in a functional version of it in Kingmaker so I'm actually a little surprised.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm pretty sure I am going to roll a Sylvan Sorc, but I cannot figure out why that build calls for 18 DEX

I'm not gonna be partaking in melee combat, but 18 DEX seems like a bit much for a dodge tank

Dex is like the single most important stat for any character except for the casting stat on full casters. For the Sorc you use it for AC, Reflex saves and any ranged attack spells.

Also beyond Con all your other stats can safely be dumped so why not get 18 dex?

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 1, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

+ to hit for ray spells, and also there's just nothing else to do with the attribute points to some extent.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Terrible Opinions posted:

1st edition Pathfinder with a few things dropped and a few custom archetypes unique to the video games.

oh ok, for some reason I thought this game was using 2nd edition pathfinder (there's a second ed. pathfinder right?)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

oh ok, for some reason I thought this game was using 2nd edition pathfinder (there's a second ed. pathfinder right?)

Yeah, most of the classes are the same though and its a bunch of (mostly bad or weird) mechanical changes.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Seeing the first few reviews roll in. They're all positive, so far!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

Yeah, most of the classes are the same though and its a bunch of (mostly bad or weird) mechanical changes.

Ok is there a breakdown of that somewhere?

The reason I gave up on the first game was because I got fed up at how bizarrely hypertechnical the game was. Half the late game enemies had a blur effect that was functionally uncounterable by anything except the blindfighting feat or echolocation because True Seeing and Glitterdust specify they counter invisibility not concealment

I still have my party spreadsheet -- I think I went PC evocation sorcerer.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm happy this game sounds fun but disappointed we got foxes instead of rats.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

The reason I gave up on the first game was because I got fed up at how bizarrely hypertechnical the game was. Half the late game enemies had a blur effect that was functionally uncounterable by anything except the blindfighting feat or echolocation because True Seeing and Glitterdust specify they counter invisibility not concealment

Oh, I was talking about 2nd edition Pathfinder. Mechanically Wrath of the Righteous is going to be almost identical to the first game just with some extra classes/feats/races as its based on 1st edition Pathfinder.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

In case it wasn't clear, he was saying yes there's a second edition of Pathfinder not yes this game uses it.

This game uses the exact same fundamental systems as Kingmaker. Just with more archetypes added. This game will be no less hypertechnical than Kingmaker.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

What Zore said, its going to be every bit as obtuse as the first game. Maybe even more so.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Goofballs posted:

What Zore said, its going to be every bit as obtuse as the first game. Maybe even more so.

Probably moreso because the Mythic Paths system is completely original content, totally divorced from the mythic systems of the actual published Wrath of the Righteous adventure module.

Between mythic paths, mythic feats, and mythic abilities it's a lot to take in.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Some reviews from channels I follow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSGMKVWlWJk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoHd76AE3CU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xJt19Ri74

tl;dr seems to be very positive. A step up across the board from Kingmaker, and a lot less buggy (though still some bugs). Might not win anyone over who played and disliked Kingmaker but for fans it sounds like a big success.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

There is a Pathfinder 2nd edition, it's not being used in Wrath, which is just more PF1. Pathfinder the 2nd is a weird game. It's trying to shed a lot of the D&D 3.5 roots, while still keeping some of the complicated details that is the hallmark of 3e/3.5/PF1 but without the benefit of everyone already knowing the old system. Honestly, I don't know anyone who's playing PF2, though I know some holdouts who are still doing PF1. :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pathfinder 2 is just 5E but with some real capacity for character customization. It's pretty solid. Still inferior to 4E in every meaningful way but hey what iteration of D&D isn't.

PF1 is a disaster of a system mitigated by the fact that MOST of its problems don't matter in a CRPG.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pathfinder 2 is just 5E but with some real capacity for character customization. It's pretty solid. Still inferior to 4E in every meaningful way but hey what iteration of D&D isn't.

PF1 is a disaster of a system mitigated by the fact that MOST of its problems don't matter in a CRPG.

D&D peaked at 3.5, pathfinder peaked at 1.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Pathfinder 1e is impressive to me because of the changes they made they managed to make some of the mediocre classes from 3.5 worse (Bard, Barbarian) while buffing the hell out of the best classes (Sorcerer, Cleric, Druid).

They also completely ignored all the lessons from 3.5 splats on how to make decent classes in the system and decided to make a bizarre mix of just godawful classes with no real reason to exist (Cavaliers I'm looking at you!) and hilariously un-theorycrafted or playtested stuff you could do stupid things with like Summoners.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

jng2058 posted:

There is a Pathfinder 2nd edition, it's not being used in Wrath, which is just more PF1. Pathfinder the 2nd is a weird game. It's trying to shed a lot of the D&D 3.5 roots, while still keeping some of the complicated details that is the hallmark of 3e/3.5/PF1 but without the benefit of everyone already knowing the old system. Honestly, I don't know anyone who's playing PF2, though I know some holdouts who are still doing PF1. :shrug:

I'm playing in a PF2e campaign right now. System is pretty good, tbh.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kalas posted:

D&D peaked at 3.5, pathfinder peaked at 1.

"Literally no coherent design ethos whatsoever, churn out as much content as possible balance and functionality be damned" is a pretty low peak. It's confusing breadth with depth, but nerds are easily fooled on that end.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pathfinder 1e is keyed off of D&D 3.5 and in a lot of ways its like D&D 3.75, just with a bunch of new classes. A lot of them are modifications or hybrid of other classes, like the magus being a hybrid of a fighter or rogue with a wizard, or inquisitor being a take based on what a bard would be like if they were a divine caster with a bit harder melee edge instead of group support. Other are just templates or alternate takes on the base class that make some trade offs, like the invulnerable rager being a barbarian that gets heavy armor and earlier damage reduction in exchange for slower growth in their rage powers.

Largely of you know how to parse 3.5 classes and prestige classes and such, you can more or less figure out what a class is about by looking at the bits and bobs they get.

For what it's worth, when I made my first character in kingmaker, it took me like an hour and a half to get through character creation because I was reading what all the classes could do.

Core classes to 3.5 are updated with some quality of life changes and other miscellaneous changes, rogues in particular have some new toys to play with compared to 3.5. Wizards have to be specialized, no more generalists. Kineticists are more or less Warlocks from Neverwinter Nights 2 but with elemental flavoring instead of demonic.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 1, 2021

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

If you struggled with Kingmaker my advice would be to either just rip someone's build straight off the internet, no deviation whatsoever, or accept that you're going to make bad choices and go blind. Because you are. Pathfinder 1E/3.5 is all about trap choices. If you at any point find yourself trying to determine how things "should" work or if there is an intended balance, you are wasting your time. There isn't. Some things are just better, some things are just incredibly bad, there is no reason why. It just is.

Primalist Bloodrager for example renders Barbarian completely obsolete. There is no reason to ever play a Barbarian in Wrath.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zore posted:

Pathfinder 1e is impressive to me because of the changes they made they managed to make some of the mediocre classes from 3.5 worse (Bard, Barbarian) while buffing the hell out of the best classes (Sorcerer, Cleric, Druid).

They also completely ignored all the lessons from 3.5 splats on how to make decent classes in the system and decided to make a bizarre mix of just godawful classes with no real reason to exist (Cavaliers I'm looking at you!) and hilariously un-theorycrafted or playtested stuff you could do stupid things with like Summoners.

let me correct you there: cavaliers are loving rad and everyone enjoys one-shotting a dragon like you're in an apocryphal extra story from King Arthur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you struggled with Kingmaker my advice would be to either just rip someone's build straight off the internet, no deviation whatsoever, or accept that you're going to make bad choices and go blind. Because you are. Pathfinder 1E/3.5 is all about trap choices. If you at any point find yourself trying to determine how things "should" work or if there is an intended balance, you are wasting your time. There isn't. Some things are just better, some things are just incredibly bad, there is no reason why. It just is.
This is also part of why mods like Bag of Tricks are so popular. Don't like encumbrance rules, because they're stupid and weird and half the people playing tabletop forget them? Cool, get rid of them. Exhaustion and sleep rules? Same deal.