Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Anfauglir posted:

https://kinda.fun/sisyphus

honestly I'm amazed no one's made sisyphus clicker before this, its the ultimate endpoint of the genre really

cute, but like, it would be a great set dressing for an idle game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
More NG Space Company stuff:

The upgrades that let you store more are absolutely essential because they let you do things like 'upgrade storage multiple times at a time'. Also, don't feel bad about buying a couple dyson swarms and segments before you jump to the sphere.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Falcon2001 posted:

More NG Space Company stuff:

The upgrades that let you store more are absolutely essential because they let you do things like 'upgrade storage multiple times at a time'. Also, don't feel bad about buying a couple dyson swarms and segments before you jump to the sphere.

I do not know how you would build spheres without at least several rings and a handful of swarms, unless you wanted to spend way longer than necessary at it.

Does the dimensional rift really just dectuple your storage?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Feline Mind Meld posted:

yeah if this was something actually playable it would be cool

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
NG Space Company taking away some but not all of your dark matter upgrades when you enlighten and not telling you which ones is certainly a strange choice.

I mean, I looked it up on the discord so I knew what was happening, but it's weird design.

Unfortunately starting over without those upgrades and the single titan I got from enlightening slowed things to such a crawl I couldn't stand to play anymore, so I am free.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Roflex posted:

I'm near the end of collecting the END pieces and QP is going to be the last one I get, probably 6-8 weeks after the rest. Once I finish everything else I'll probably just go back to manualing quests to get QP out of the way faster.

NGU - I have all the pieces except the one for killing the final titan, and I'm nowhere close to what the wiki says you need for P/T. I'm weeks into saving all mayo for adventure cards and 7 day rebirths for guff stats and I'm still nowhere close.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Feline Mind Meld posted:

There's upgrades. I'm still not sure why I bothered to click the 50 times needed for that menu to show up in the first place.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

pixaal posted:

There's upgrades

yeah yeah the funny meme upgrades are great

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
There's a reason the site is called Kinda dot Fun and not Extremely dot Fun

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Anfauglir posted:

https://kinda.fun/sisyphus

honestly I'm amazed no one's made sisyphus clicker before this, its the ultimate endpoint of the genre really

The javascript isn't obfuscated, which makes it really easy to build an autoclicker if you just feel like seeing everything the devs put in:
code:
xx = document.getElementById('Sisyphus');
yy = setInterval(function() { xx.click(); }, 100);

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, but Zeno's Paradox was the real midpoint of the genre.

:nice:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I stopped playing NGU because all I had left to do was kill the traitor and use a move 69 times except now the move's cooldown only starts ticking down when you're logged in and I can't be bothered leaving the game running for 66 times like 6 minutes.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Thanatosian posted:

I do not know how you would build spheres without at least several rings and a handful of swarms, unless you wanted to spend way longer than necessary at it.

Does the dimensional rift really just dectuple your storage?

Straight up. Bonus: Once you hit a tenth of your storage you are eligible for the max storage boost and upgrading your storage.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

habituallyred posted:

Straight up. Bonus: Once you hit a tenth of your storage you are eligible for the max storage boost and upgrading your storage.

Oh, poo poo, that makes the max storage boost way better.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Red Minjo posted:

There's a reason the site is called Kinda dot Fun and not Extremely dot Fun

Is this the FPlus game website?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Aerox posted:

Is this the FPlus game website?

It is!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Cookie Clicker wasn't meant to be fun, why is it so popular?

A motherboard article with a cursory view of idle games that goes a little into the history of them, and highlights a video about how they've changed from critique to proponent of the state of video games. One thing that stood out to me was:

The Cow Clicker Guy posted:

"I find them super interesting," said Bogost, when asked if he genuinely enjoyed the clicker genre. "But I also sort of wish they went further? The idea of a game that nobody plays. A game without gameplay! An automatic game. It’s right there, but, instead, idle games settled into a pretty predictable RPG-lite + prestige pattern. Feels like a missed opportunity."

"All games kind of are grinds," he continued. "All of them. That’s sort of the point of games? Repetition. Unnecessary repetition. Just like life, but you don’t have to do it, which makes it somehow more appealing."

which I find interesting because he calls out the "RPG-lite + prestige pattern" as a general failure of developers to make an interesting game. I think that most of the smaller ones that I've played reach a point where they acknowledge it's ethe end and you can restart for some prestige currency, but nothing really will change and you're really done with the game. Whereas the larger ones use resets as a core mechanics (Trimps, evolve, etc) to change the experience of the game. It feels more like theme and variation in music to me. Maybe he's looking for developers to make pieces of art like Cow Clicker?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm interested in the possibility that Ian Bogost somehow managed to miss Progress Quest, based on that quoted comment. Progress Quest even has a spot in the article itself, which is nice.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

quote:

Fredricksen has also played Cookie Clicker to the end "more than once,"
holy poo poo the Progress Quest guy found the secret end of Cookie Clicker

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
i mean, i feel like this thread should be testament to the fact that there are more idle games than the cookie clicker or idle heroes style games. there have been a number of really swell one-offs like paperclips and succubox, and then poo poo like ITRTG and NGU are a different beast entirely once you have some features going. hell, i even think games like the matter/antimatter style poo poo where the focus is on layers and redoing content faster and faster are different than the old style "buy buildings, get currency for more buildings" style of games, and then you've got stuff like SCB that, while it did have a prestige-like mechanic, basically just keeps going on and on with no end in sight.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if the thread ever went through a Territory Idle phase, but I really enjoyed that one, even if some parts of it were super grindy, and it had some different mechanics from most other idle games.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Speaking of Cookie Clicker, as of today it's out on Steam, for $4.99. Feels weird to be paying money for Cookie Clicker in 2021, but it looks like there's a lot of content in there?

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 1, 2021

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

What does the Steam version bring that is different from the free version that has been out for years?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Peachfart posted:

What does the Steam version bring that is different from the free version that has been out for years?

Having this proudly displayed on your account

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1433154196145016837

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can you import saves from the web version?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Thanatosian posted:

Can you import saves from the web version?

You can.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Cookie Clicker managed to hit the top sellers list too. Even if it's only for a day that's really impressive for a game that can be played 100% for free.

Ortiel having a publisher makes more sense now, making it a paid game wasn't something I had considered at all.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
yeah i threw $5 at cookie clicker, why not. Gotta have some sort of methadone to wean myself off NGU once I finish it in the next couple months

HungryHungryHobo
Jan 4, 2020
Decided to grab Cookie Clicker since there's been some updates since the last time I played years ago.

I quickly realized how reliant I was on the Cookie Monster script the last time I played though. I keep missing golden cookies and it's rough. Really surprised he never added a notification/sound for it in the base game.

Was browsing through the steam forums to see if anyone came up with a mod or something for it yet and I'm amazed at how many people are absolutely outraged that it costs $5. poo poo this is my 3rd time starting over completely because I always think I'll never touch it again so just having steam cloud saves if I ever decide to revisit it again in 5 years will make that money well spent. Oh yeah the dude who made the game and kept it free and updated it for years gets some money too. Seems like a win for everyone to me :shrug:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

HungryHungryHobo posted:

I quickly realized how reliant I was on the Cookie Monster script the last time I played though. I keep missing golden cookies and it's rough. Really surprised he never added a notification/sound for it in the base game.

He did actually add a sound option, but it's a prestige update.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

HungryHungryHobo posted:

Was browsing through the steam forums to see if anyone came up with a mod or something for it yet and I'm amazed at how many people are absolutely outraged that it costs $5. poo poo this is my 3rd time starting over completely because I always think I'll never touch it again so just having steam cloud saves if I ever decide to revisit it again in 5 years will make that money well spent. Oh yeah the dude who made the game and kept it free and updated it for years gets some money too. Seems like a win for everyone to me :shrug:

People are incredibly salty over the option to pay for a game you can easily play for free without spending a dime.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Isn't the point better performance because exe? Also maybe the guy that gave creative inspiration to an entire genre should get some money? (yes progress quest, but this made it clear you could make that actually interesting with a few minor interactions)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
It just sucks that there isn't anything new. The guy clearly has interesting ideas and his fans are frustrated that he doesn't do enough with them. It's like if a writer starts a bunch of really awesome book series and then abandons them. And then releases a hardcover special edition of the same books.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
That's a fair point. Maybe this will encourage Orteil to do more with Cookie Clicker. At the very least, if he thinks he's done enough with the game, he should put a stopping point somewhere to avoid leaving the game open-ended. We'll see how this release goes.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

It just sucks that there isn't anything new. The guy clearly has interesting ideas and his fans are frustrated that he doesn't do enough with them. It's like if a writer starts a bunch of really awesome book series and then abandons them. And then releases a hardcover special edition of the same books.

So he is the George R. R. Martin of idle games?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Trastion posted:

So he is the George R. R. Martin of idle games?

Don't think cookie clicker has any paedophilia in it; didn't get too far into CC though.

The only idle game I've thrown money at was Evolve because it has been running in the background on and off for years at this point.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
he always seemed to like new projects and ideas and didn't really do much in the way of follow through.

I mean cookie clicker is ancient in the genre and unless there's been some big mechanics overhaul I'm gonna guess the gameplay probably feels that way too.

it's good he's getting some dollars for it though that game really is the father of the genre and I did unironically enjoy that wall breaker game made in the mod sandbox

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I threw him the bucks even though I never really played Cookie Clicker because I enjoy his blog.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Feline Mind Meld posted:

it's good he's getting some dollars for it though that game really is the father of the genre and I did unironically enjoy that wall breaker game made in the mod sandbox
Wall Destroyer was great and I wish it was slightly better coded and also still maintained :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wall Destroyer kinda collapsed under the weight of the IGM engine's limitations and would require porting to something else to keep going.