Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

I just noticed the discount to the REI tents is only for buying 2.
It's for any 2 tents, footprints, mud rooms or porches - if you buy a tent and the footprint you still get the discount. It's worded a little funny but I couldn't imagine that REI expected people to buy 2 tents or 2 footprints. Added the Kingdom 6 tent and footprint to my cart and it works out to be ~$25 less than the tent alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

Maybe just the idea of a really conspicuous, tall tent makes me feel weird? I dunno. I'm probably being dumb for no reason.
You are car camping - there is no reason not to have a tall, spacious, comfortable tent. I use a 6 person tent with an attached porch and a 6'8" peak height that weighs 20+lbs (North Face Wawona 6) for car camping with 3-5 people. Considering half the campsites we go to have a mix of RVs/campers and tents and everyone's got secondary canopies or tarps tied up over picnic tables, it doesn't feel weird. But most of my camping is in NY/PA where rain is always a possibility. We got thunderstorms with 30+MPH winds at a state park a few weekends ago and it was nice to not have to hide in the car like some folks did.

A tall 4 person tent seems perfect for your use case.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No one will ever look at or care at what you're doing at a campground unless you're being loud.

Worst case, they'll eye your setup and get jealous that you have more cool stuff than them.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nth’ing the kingdom tents. Might have to use that coupon on a footprint and a mud room.

highme fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 27, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

No one will ever look at or care at what you're doing at a campground unless you're being loud.

Worst case, they'll eye your setup and get jealous that you have more cool stuff than them.

The last time I went car camping the guy across from my spot was washing his car with the community water spigot and I was very judgemental.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Fair enough about the tent height thing being all in my head.

I do like the idea of having a tent footprint, and it's nice that I could get both the Kingdom 4 and its footprint for $415, but that's still a lot more than the Kelty Sequoia 4, which unfortunately doesn't have an offered footprint. Is the Kingdom tent (and footprint) worth the extra $170 difference? Admittedly that price comparison is unfair since the Kelty doesn't have a footprint (appears to be sold out pretty much everywhere), but still. Let's say $120 difference, then. That'd buy a decent chunk of other stuff for a camping trip.

Edit: the mud room looks nice too. poo poo, I can definitely see how people can blow tons of money on camping gear.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 27, 2021

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It may also be worth noting that it looks like coupons will stack with the 15% off from the Labor Day sale. They sent me a 21% off coupon for a piece of REI gear for attending a virtual class about hiking shoes. I was able to get a Kingdom 4 with footprint for 350 after all was said and done. Not sure if they have any classes going on this weekend but it’s worth a look.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of sale stuff, the Nemo Stargazer recliner chair is on sale if anyone is looking for an awesome car camping chair

Bought one off Mossejaw to try it out, loved it so much bought a second at REI. This thing is seriously cool as frig and feels super sturdy... Can't wait to take it out do some actual stargazing with it!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a genius idea, my neck still hurts from the perseids.

I usually bring a blanket and lay on that but I forgot it this year.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speaking of sale stuff, the Nemo Stargazer recliner chair is on sale if anyone is looking for an awesome car camping chair

Bought one off Mossejaw to try it out, loved it so much bought a second at REI. This thing is seriously cool as frig and feels super sturdy... Can't wait to take it out do some actual stargazing with it!

I tried one of those out at REI today and almost died getting in and back out, but it was hella comfy while I was hanging in it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Casu Marzu posted:

I tried one of those out at REI today and almost died getting in and back out, but it was hella comfy while I was hanging in it.

There is definitely a trick to it, the handle grab bars on the sides really do make it a lot easier

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Bloody posted:

I am looking for sleeping bag advice. This summer has featured my first backpacking trips, and we're planning several more for next year. I'm currently using a borrowed bag I don't know anything about, and it's been kinda okay but too small for me for sure. I'm 6'6" and I have no ambitions to camp in particularly cold weather - I think the coldest night I'd plan around is, idk, a nice early fall weekend at low altitudes in the north cascades or something - probably in the low 40s/high 30s? A more typical night is going to be July or August in the central cascades or points south. What should I be looking at in terms of temperature ratings? What about long bags vs normal bags - looks like the common length threshold is around 6'6" - should I be erring on the long side?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

At 6'6" I think you're probably in custom bag territory. Most long bags seem to have 6'6" as the max height and I myself like an extra inch or two of length to go fetal or to pull up to my face. The good news is that a bag that only goes down to 30F shouldnt be all that much in the scheme of things because it wont need as much down as a heavier winter bag.

A bit late here, but I'd definitely try to get something rated for 20f or even lower, personally. I've definitely experienced nights in the upper 20s in August at ~7000ft so I can't imagine it's unheard of a bit lower elevations a bit later in the year.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Business of Ferrets posted:

Buy your tents one person-size larger than your sleeping group. Two people camping? Buy a three-person tent. There are exceptions when downsizing makes sense (spooning on narrow alpine ledges) but in every case I’ve been grateful for the “extra” room.

Is it weird that I love small tents? We have this tiny thing and I love it so much. Makes me feel all safe and cozy.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Doll House Ghost posted:

Is it weird that I love small tents? We have this tiny thing and I love it so much. Makes me feel all safe and cozy.

It’s cool. We’re a big tent here. Everyone is welcome. :)

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
40 mph winds and thunderstorms.

I thought this would be loving miserable, but my tarp/hammock setup held up so well!

2 nights of this crap and it only pulled up the stakes once on the second night. I think it's because we were hanging clothes to dry on the ridge line for the tarp, stretching it and allowing it to billow in the wind much more than the night before. Well, now I know not to do that.

Only casualty? When the tarp came loose, it came loose on one whole side, and whipped it into a pine tree. One of the broken branches pierced the tarp real close to the edge. I'm not sure it matters. Very happy with this stupid setup, I was comfortable and dry despite miserable weather.

Gear:
dogshit stakes
high vis lines
hennessy tarp
Warbonnet El Dorado tent + underquilt
dogshit amazon sleeping quilt.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Is this the right thread to ask for backpack/rucksack recommendations? I have a rucksack that's already good for actual hiking, but I was looking to buy another bag for travelling/commuting etc, and I got my rucksack second hand so I'm not sure which outdoor gear companies make 'good backpacks'.

Within my budget, I have narrowed it down to some bags from Karrimor, Mammut, Wenger/Swissgear, or Craghoppers. I think most of those are UK/European brands? Anyway, I'm not sure if any of those brands are notoriously better or worse than the others. Are there any brands that I should buy or avoid? Does more expensive generally = better? If a company makes a good hiking bag, can I rely on them to also make a pretty good bag for travelling and going on a field trip for a day or two with?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Red Bones posted:

Is this the right thread to ask for backpack/rucksack recommendations? I have a rucksack that's already good for actual hiking, but I was looking to buy another bag for travelling/commuting etc, and I got my rucksack second hand so I'm not sure which outdoor gear companies make 'good backpacks'.

Within my budget, I have narrowed it down to some bags from Karrimor, Mammut, Wenger/Swissgear, or Craghoppers. I think most of those are UK/European brands? Anyway, I'm not sure if any of those brands are notoriously better or worse than the others. Are there any brands that I should buy or avoid? Does more expensive generally = better? If a company makes a good hiking bag, can I rely on them to also make a pretty good bag for travelling and going on a field trip for a day or two with?

I loving love my Osprey Porter 45L.

My wife has the smaller version and we both dropped our previous bags for this. Super easy to access anything, pockets for all sorts of poo poo, hip belt, shoulder tension adjustments, laptop sleeves, and a ton of other neat bits/bobs. The only thing I wish it had was a shoulder strap for when I carry poo poo in duffel bag mode (it has the strap clips, but not the strap).

Can't recommend it enough.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Cannon_Fodder posted:

My wife has the smaller version and we both dropped our previous bags for this. Super easy to access anything, pockets for all sorts of poo poo, hip belt, shoulder tension adjustments, laptop sleeves, and a ton of other neat bits/bobs. The only thing I wish it had was a shoulder strap for when I carry poo poo in duffel bag mode (it has the strap clips, but not the strap).

I bought the 2020 version of this on a whim last year during a clearance sale from the Osprey store through Amazon for just under $60 and it's great. It's the biggest pack I have ever owned without a frame and it's surprisingly comfortable and stable. I haven't taken it on hikes but it's been on my back for hours at a time in airports. I really like the capaciousness of the main pocket, how it opens up, all the other small pocket options, how well it cinches down when it's not full, and how you can tuck all the straps away when you're going to throw it in a trunk or overhead bin. The current version is on sale right now for $120 (regular price is $160) https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/porter-travel-pack-46-PORTER46F20.html

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Cannon_Fodder posted:

That sounds good, how waterproof/weatherproof is it? And is the laptop compartment easy to use with a 14" laptop? My rucksack has a 'laptop compartment' but it's kinda crap, it's just a little elasticated pocket in the main compartment and if I have a lot of heavy stuff in the bag I can never slide the laptop back in it.

I can see one in Osprey's European store that's in my price range, it's got a minor sewing repair that brings it down to half price, so I might buy that one then.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I travel with an Osprey Farpoint, which is basically a smaller version of the Porter (comparison: https://expertworldtravel.com/osprey-porter-vs-farpoint-backpack-travel/)

I got the Farpoint because it's small enough to use as a carry-on even on smaller domestic planes in any country. I didn't want to end up having to check my squishy bag full of valuables on a flight if the airline wanted to be difficult about carry-on size. Realistically the Porter might have been fine for that, but who knows. Osprey makes great packs, but they definitely have an outdoorsy look to them if that matters to you. I do feel a little out of place in it compared to a more urban design.

e: I haven't actually carried a laptop in mine, but the laptop sleeve seems pretty good. Be aware that it's in the front/middle of the pack rather than next to your back. The Porter's laptop sleeve is in the back, so that might be a better choice if you're concerned about your laptop.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 1, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think Osprey is the only good bag maker out there, but they do make a fine bag.

I was recently gifted an Apogee and for as slim as it looks it's pretty roomy inside. The tag says it fits a 15" laptop and the main storage expands to about 10 inches wide by 5 inches deep. Am currently adapting an insert for it to work as my "light" camera bag. My only complaint with it is the covers they put over the zippers, they're extremely wide. It probably helps with waterproofing (though the bag is not water sealed at all) and maybe pick pocketing because it is a pain in the rear end to get to the zippers.

But the weird mesh back they put on it is comfy as heck. I can see it easily working well for day hikes as well as day carry (which is what it's sold as).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I’ve had an osprey porter 45 for about 7 years now and it’s what I use almost exclusively for air travel and less-than-a-week car trips. Laptop section is in the front pocket and seems like it can get a little squished if you are fully packed up, but the compression straps are great as is the firm padding that is on the sides. Really great bag that still looks brand new after regular usage. Highly recommend, just not for backpacking (too heavy).

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

1redflag posted:

I’ve had an osprey porter 45 for about 7 years now and it’s what I use almost exclusively for air travel and less-than-a-week car trips. Laptop section is in the front pocket and seems like it can get a little squished if you are fully packed up, but the compression straps are great as is the firm padding that is on the sides. Really great bag that still looks brand new after regular usage. Highly recommend, just not for backpacking (too heavy).
???

Red Bones posted:

That sounds good, how waterproof/weatherproof is it? And is the laptop compartment easy to use with a 14" laptop? My rucksack has a 'laptop compartment' but it's kinda crap, it's just a little elasticated pocket in the main compartment and if I have a lot of heavy stuff in the bag I can never slide the laptop back in it.

I can see one in Osprey's European store that's in my price range, it's got a minor sewing repair that brings it down to half price, so I might buy that one then.

There's a laptop pocket that's right by the backpack straps, not just the main pocket. You can access it directly without opening any other part of the bag. It carried my monster 17" engineering laptop without issue. Maybe op missed it on hers/his.

In this link, it's the 4th pic, you can see it at the top of the backpack, above the straps:
https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Packs-Porter-Travel-Backpack/dp/B073QQDBQ1
The pocket below that, along the back, holds the backpack straps if you feel like hiding them as a duffel.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 1, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think they moved the laptop sleeve in the Porter in a recent redesign.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I guess so, it looks like it's accessible from the shoulder/side now instead. Same location on the bag, the opening moved around.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Red Bones posted:

A few years ago I bought a Mission Workshop Fitzroy rucksack pack that I've really liked for traveling. Waterproof, and fits three days of clothes sorted into packing cubes, laptop, cables and ditty bag rollup quite nicely. It'll even squeeze into the Spirit personal item slot so it flies for free! At least, until Spirit cancels your flight :argh:

Timbuk2 also has some really nice packs you might take a look at as well... I commuted with one on my bicycle for years and it has held up phenomenally well and kept my gear dry even in the snow and the rain. Bought it secondhand in 2009, and I'm still using it here over a decade later, which is absurdly durable for consumer goods.

Backpacking silnylon packs are nice and pretty lightweight, but for pointy stuff like a laptop and day to day supplies, I feel like a heavier denier fabric would reduce wear and tear over its lifespan, especially the friction of slinging it around in transit. The porter pack linked above looks much heavier duty and designated for travel though, and Osprey does have a legitimate lifetime warranty on their packs. Just depends on whatever fits your budget and needs!

E: speaking of Osprey, I can't recommend their roll up travel organizer highly enough! It's so nice I accidentally bought it twice (airport had misplaced a checked bag... which is one reason I don't check bags anymore, the other being it's so much easier traveling light)

E2: drat, I like that blue so much I might have to buy it a third time to upgrade my cable organizer

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 1, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a toiletry bag from them similar to that. It's nice enough for extended travel but light/flexible enough for backpacking. I have a lot of Osprey stuff...

It was actually a highlight of my trip to Colorado when I accidentally stumbled across their headquarters after taking a wrong turn while passing through Cortez. What a thing to find!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Red Bones posted:

There are also a ton of companies that make travel bags first or exclusively, which may better fit your needs over a travel bag from an outdoor company. I'm not familiar with the european brands but aersf.com ships internationally and has nice bags which might fit in your price range. You tend to get better organization and more durable materials from a "travel bag company" at a cost of higher weight; you also get something that looks less like it came from an outdoor gear maker, which might or might not matter to you.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have a toiletry bag from them similar to that. It's nice enough for extended travel but light/flexible enough for backpacking. I have a lot of Osprey stuff...

It was actually a highlight of my trip to Colorado when I accidentally stumbled across their headquarters after taking a wrong turn while passing through Cortez. What a thing to find!

No poo poo! Just a few weeks ago I was driving from Moab to Mesa Verde, saw that building in Cortez, and wondered whether that was the same Osprey as the backpacks before seeing the logo on the other side. I didn't quite realize that was their main location! Neato!

Southwest Colorado is one of my favorite places in the US. That, and either Northern Kentucky or Monongahela NF.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's such a dramatic intersection between the mountains and the desert. I was sad to only be passing through.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I'm looking for a backpacking sleeping pad for my partner (also tall - 6'3"). I'm currently looking at some options like the therm-a-rest neoair xlite, big agnes qcore, and a sea to summit, but I'm somewhat concerned about durability. we typically backpack with our dog, and the various hole stories over the past 10 pages or so have me worried that the nicer/lighter sleeping pads may run into problems with the occasional dog foot stepping on em. We've never had an issue with it, but our current pads are on the cheaper/heavier side, and I'm not sure if the implied material choices there are going to be more puncture resistant than something higher end?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I know this thread loves the REI Kingdom 6, but any reason to get the Basecamp 6 instead?

Current sale aside.

edit - bought the Kingdom 6, the footprint, and the mud room. Going all out until I'm allowed to buy a camper.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 10, 2021

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Not one to shill poo poo generally but I'm a bit of a coffee snob so I'm always interested in a way of having good coffee while camping. I've tried one design of portable espresso maker before and it was poo poo, never really made a great coffee and broke after hardly any use. Also not really a fan of things like the aeropress, I've been having coffee bags when camping but they produce a ton of waste (each coffee bag is individually packaged so it doesn't go stale).

On a whim I pre-ordered a new portable espresso maker from Wacaco a while ago and I've been using it while stuck at home in lockdown for a month.

The one I got is the Picropresso: https://www.wacaco.com/pages/picopresso

Kinda pricey and a bit heavy at ~350 grams but it looked rugged and I was impressed by some reviews I saw. It's a fairly small but dense nugget of a package when all packed up, not for mountaineering summit pushes but small enough that I could see myself taking it camping.

It's really impressive how they've managed to make everything nest in together. When I eventually get to go hiking again I'll probably leave some of the bits behind (like the little plastic scoop for the coffee powder) but most of the bits are worth bringing. It even includes a little metal tamper and a spacer ring to help you get a good level of compaction.

Once you get the grind and dose dialled in and assuming you use freshly ground beans the results it produces are amazing. I'm not joking when I say that it makes an espresso nearly as good as my full-size machine, the main difference being it's a little colder even after pre-heating the cup and coffee maker.

With the grind and dose I've settled on it takes a LOT of finger force on the plunger to pump the water through, but hey it's good cross-training for rock climbing. Also there's an internal pressure relief valve and if I try to pump too fast I end up just flowing through that back into the water compartment, so it takes a few tries to get the balance right. Since I've worked it out though I get perfectly consistent results (probably about one 'pump' of the plunger per second, full extraction in 30 seconds or so). Cleaning up and drying everything before putting it away is a little annoying and fiddly but not the end of the world, and there's no disposable packaging to worry about carrying around.

So yeah if you're into coffee and not trying to go uber-light I'd definitely recommend it based on my experiences.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
The Russians just used an aeropress.:agesilaus:

Seriously that is some dedication.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
What would be this thread's recommendation for a good pair of hiking pants? Preferably something breathy (I run hot) and subdued (no weird pockets, logos or flashy colours). I'm in the EU so there is no REI around here sadly.
Being on the bigger side (1.91m for 90 kg or 6'3" for 200 lbs) I'm looking for a roomier cut, however it seems everyone decided to make skinny hiking pants which effectively become hiking leggings on me :v:
Thanks a lot!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like prana pants, I’ll see if I can get a link to a specific style for you

E: they don’t appear to make the style I have anymore, but the zion or the four corners both look similar

The Fool fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 16, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the picoespresso, the 2 spare bits (possibly the tamper and the tamper ring) seem like they don't attach. Do they fit onto the body of the machine?

Not gonna lie, I'm full on raging-consumer-whoring at this thing hard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I dig my marmor scree pants. Uses a durable stretchy material, nice and roomy, all the pockets are zippered. Colors are black or slightly less black, so no fashion statements to be made. Only downside is they are abnormally uncomfortable if you get wet. The material soaks up a lot of water and clings to your skin worse than denim. It dries pretty fast though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Chikimiki posted:

What would be this thread's recommendation for a good pair of hiking pants? Preferably something breathy (I run hot) and subdued (no weird pockets, logos or flashy colours). I'm in the EU so there is no REI around here sadly.
Being on the bigger side (1.91m for 90 kg or 6'3" for 200 lbs) I'm looking for a roomier cut, however it seems everyone decided to make skinny hiking pants which effectively become hiking leggings on me :v:
Thanks a lot!

A buddy of mine swears by Engelbert Strauss pants. I don't know their various product lines, but they seem pretty well made and breathable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Chikimiki posted:

Thanks a lot!

My everyday casual pants are Prana Brions. Great for hiking and climbing, and I’ve even skied in them. No weird pockets and great fit. Normal-looking technical pants.