Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Commander Keene posted:

LPix allows music as long as it's under the 2MB limit, otherwise your best bet is probably YouTube afaik.

Ah, thanks, I totally forgot that you can actually upload mp3 files to LPix as long as they obey the usual 2MB limit. I think that's probably going to be enough for my purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013
I hope this is the right place to ask this, but...does anyone know what happened to this old D&D LP? All the links in the thread are dead, and it seems to be gone from everywhere that I remember hosting it. A conversation with some friends made me randomly remember it after I'm not sure how many years, but now that I've gone looking for it it seems like it has vanished from the internet entirely.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Llednar Twem posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this, but...does anyone know what happened to this old D&D LP? All the links in the thread are dead, and it seems to be gone from everywhere that I remember hosting it. A conversation with some friends made me randomly remember it after I'm not sure how many years, but now that I've gone looking for it it seems like it has vanished from the internet entirely.

The short answer is that Blip.tv has been defunct since 2015 and Viddler changed it's business model and started deleting most of it's user content back in 2014.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

And if they had uploaded it to the lparchive the content might've been saved in the Internet Archive. Since they never bothered, it's unlikely you'll find it back there.

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013
I see. The post also had this link for the audio-only version, but that also seems to be dead. There was also a youtube channel that I remembered had part of it, but that playlist seems to be gone too, which is what ultimately prompted this question. It's starting to look like this is an exception to the whole "nothing is ever really gone from the internet" thing.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Internet never forgets, unless it forgets that it never forgets.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Llednar Twem posted:

Check a look here: https://www.sixfeatsunder.com/campaign/lpdnd
The first link in the blurb seems to lead to a dropbox of at least all the audio-only versions. And below that are re-edited versions for podcast consumption, but the rate of posting those episodes is extremely low, so don't hold your breath waiting for all of those to be done.

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013
Oh, excellent! Not an exception after all. Thank you very much!

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

nvm

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 17, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Either post it or don't, interest checks are lame as hell

:justpost:

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
This is a test post for a theHunter: Call of the Wild screenshot narrative LP.

Potential op.
Potential first update.

If you see any issues with these please let me know!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Hello Sand Castle! A friend and I have a new LP planned and would love to hear your thoughts on it before we begin.

Fellow poster Fleta McGurn and I are going to do a 2-headed screencap LP of old fan favorite Fallout: New Vegas. Both of us have modded the game using the Viva New Vegas guide, plus some additional mods to keep it interesting. It's Fleta's first ever experience with the game (though she loved FO3) and a repeat visit for me, so we're going to use different mod lists. Thirty somewhat vanilla-friendly ones for her and a dangerously over-grown list of a hundred mods for me. We'll document our adventures through two different custom-sized Mojave Wastelands, in Fallout NV: Kings & Queens!

Here are our load orders.
Here's a slide-show of the project proposal.

I am aware of the 5 previous LPs of this game on the master list, I looked through them just to make sure our ideas (and player-characters) are different enough, and I think they are. The standard for covering this title is high, but I think recent changes in the mod community justify a new examination, if justification is needed. We mostly just want to have fun with this classic title!

The biggest question presently is about music use in video Let's Plays, which is the area we could most use your thoughts about. We already have some public domain tracks picked out in the classic Fallout vein, and a possible title song we are pursuing a (donated) license for. But the trickiest bit is this: the original soundtrack for Fallout New Vegas is available on Archive.org, so I'm thinking about using the tracks in videos, behind conversations and maybe even in a machinima, eventually. But I've heard YouTube is brutal about hunting down copyrighted music, which makes me wonder: can you use the original soundtrack of a game as production music in an LP of that game?

You're already using elements of the IP, right? But I know just because it makes sense to me doesn't make it the law of the land, so, we submit the question to the wisdom of the Sand Castle. Any other notes are welcome as well, and Fleta and I both really hope you'll enjoy taking this wild wasteland trip with us!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I've heard YouTube is brutal about hunting down copyrighted music
Honestly, it's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be unless your videos are monetized. You obviously don't want to lose the monetization because of copyright claims, but if you're not monetized in the first place it's usually not a huge issue.

I've LP'd four Grand Theft Auto games and am currently doing Saints Row, with the radio enabled in every one of these LPs. In those 120 videos, I've had to cut or replace a copyrighted music track maybe three times. If you're planning on using the New Vegas score by Inon Zur and Mark Morgan, I would expect there to be even fewer problems than you might have with the radio songs.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, I've gotten incredibly lazy and am just using whatever for background music in my HoI4 LP, and so far, the only thing that has happened is that the videos were blocked in Syria, Cuba, North Korea and Iran once, otherwise it just had ads put on it by the copyright holders.

So while YouTube is stringent about hunting down copyrighted material, it's gotten a lot softer about what happens once it actually finds it, because it used to be a lot more blocking.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Huh, you're right. Before most of my HAWX videos were blocked pretty much everywhere and now only one is blocked in Syria, Cuba, North Korea and Iran.
Barring the ones that used music by AC/DC because they got super blocked. Which is an interesting discovery and an opportunity to see what "Mute offending song only" option does with the video.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Cooked Auto posted:

an opportunity to see what "Mute offending song only" option does with the video.

From my experience it does successfully remove the song but distorts the gently caress out of the surrounding audio, making it sound like it came out of a $10 microphone from fifteen years ago.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

SoundwaveAU posted:

From my experience it does successfully remove the song but distorts the gently caress out of the surrounding audio, making it sound like it came out of a $10 microphone from fifteen years ago.

Oh well. Might as well add a note about it in the description. And it was only two videos anyway.

Edit:
Checked one of them and it's not that bad. Cuts out a bit oddly but that was probably just because of my bad mixing attempts back then.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 20, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If no-one posted in it but me, would a thread get removed?

I am playing a bunch of games, and I like journaling, and I journal better when I form my thoughts with the idea of someone else reading it. I stay more focussed, and try harder when I have the idea that I have to be cognizant to record my responses.

It seems like SA also likes reading reactions to games and stuff.

So I thought if I made a place to just... post. where people can react or not react, have conversations, help when I'm lost or maybe no-one reads at all.

Would Let's Play remove it if I ended up screaming into the void?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

If no-one posted in it but me, would a thread get removed?

I am playing a bunch of games, and I like journaling, and I journal better when I form my thoughts with the idea of someone else reading it. I stay more focussed, and try harder when I have the idea that I have to be cognizant to record my responses.

It seems like SA also likes reading reactions to games and stuff.

So I thought if I made a place to just... post. where people can react or not react, have conversations, help when I'm lost or maybe no-one reads at all.

If it's not primarily Let's Play-focused... maybe? It sounds like you're describing a potential Post My Favorites thread. It's basically like a PYF thread, only its for you and you alone to post in and post whatever the hell you like. The trade-off is that you will not get any direct feedback on anything posted in it save for maybe a few private messages, but there ARE people who read PMF none the less.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
That's an option yeah.

As long as it's at least loosely an LP I doubt it'll be removed from here, though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Boba Pearl posted:

nope. you are welcome to post.

if you want the possibility of a response and dialogue, here is fine. if you want it to be just you and your silent readers, crow's suggest to post in PMF is solid.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah that makes sense, I just wish other people could post in PMF. I wanted to post about hollow knight and get spoiler free help stuff like that, but I guess I can go to each perspective thread, it's just that I know not every thread wants a 2k word post on my ~*~experience~*~ or whatever.

I think I'm describing a blog, that's what blogging was right?

e: I'm gonna just post and get yelled at. What's the worst that could happen?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
LPs pretty chill. i doubt youll be yelled at :shrug:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

LPs pretty chill. i doubt youll be yelled at :shrug:

Yeah, the only folks who get yelled at are the weird belligerent idiots who are clearly not posting in good faith at all, and nothing you've mentioned so far gives the impression that this a bad faith exercise.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm gonna just post and get yelled at. What's the worst that could happen?

You'll be fine. The LP crowd is so chill, they let me do a let's play for a fake game, for 5 years, and I never got any guff about it.

What I love most about this crowd is that people are primarily interested in effort, not following strict guidelines about what an LP is or isn't.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:justpost:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
LP used to be much stricter in the old days. But now it's probably the most sane subforum of SA.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Well, it's a thing now!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980089

Though uhh... I messed up and didn't give it a post icon, and now it's poo poo post, so I have to PM a mod I guess.

If anyone sees this I'd like it changed to this one

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 23, 2021

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
Alright, I've waffled on making a test post for this long enough, this is a test for a screenshot LP of Pokemon Stadium 2. I recall back a while ago, don't know if it's still in effect or not, there was a Pokemon LP lightban of some kind, or at least you had to get active permission to make one due to the influx of them. If there is indeed still that lightban, I'll attempt to properly get the permission for the LP.

Includes both the OP and first update, separated by a line of hyphens.

Outside of the above concern, if there's any other issues, or if I am indeed ready to :justpost: please let me know. Thank you in advance.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingRok posted:

Alright, I've waffled on making a test post for this long enough, this is a test for a screenshot LP of Pokemon Stadium 2. I recall back a while ago, don't know if it's still in effect or not, there was a Pokemon LP lightban of some kind, or at least you had to get active permission to make one due to the influx of them. If there is indeed still that lightban, I'll attempt to properly get the permission for the LP.

Outside of the above concern, if there's any other issues, or if I am indeed ready to :justpost: please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Looks fine but you should change the PNGs to JPGs purely for the sake of upload/download file size.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

FlamingRok posted:

pokemon ban has been gone for a long time, so green light for that issue!

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
Converted over, and noted, thanks! I'll wait a bit longer to see if anything else comes up, but I appreciate the help thus far.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Been reading LPs for a long time, and finally got the itch to do one myself. Spent a while working out the behind the scenes stuff and I think I've got it all put together right with a decent workflow, but I figured I'd see what the experts have to say about it just to be safe.

OP here: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159686
First update here (also linked in OP): https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159684

If you see anything I might need to fix, I'd be glad to know about it!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't see any obvious issues.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

ultrafilter posted:

I don't see any obvious issues.

Alright, well, I suppose I'll :justpost: then!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:hai:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Not sure where else to do it, but figured I might as well get over my social anxiety and ask here.

Can I get a mod to update the title of my thread Because I'm an utter goofus and forgot to add "Let's Play Anno 1800" at the end?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The alternative method of paging mods for title/tag changes, for reference, is just to report the first post in your thread and say what you want in the report, since the report button, in the end, is for "mod attention required here".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Classic Alkyderp :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Alkydere posted:

Not sure where else to do it, but figured I might as well get over my social anxiety and ask here.

Can I get a mod to update the title of my thread Because I'm an utter goofus and forgot to add "Let's Play Anno 1800" at the end?

Done.