Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

About 3 years after it was supposed to come out. I can only imagine what a quality film it will be.

Edit: Growing up is realizing that Maverick really is a dangerous rear end in a top hat who shouldn’t be a pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
They have to update it where maverick dogfights ace taliban pilots and then drummer boy hits the cockpit window like his old man

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It’s too bad Christopher Plummer isn’t around anymore. I wanna replace Miles Teller with him so I never have to dare that douchey face again.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Alan Smithee posted:

and if you didn’t have a reason to hate James corden yet

https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1431555440740085763?s=21

I hate James Corden for many reasons, but the first and most visceral was when his late night show started up and he did some bullshit publicity event near Beverly and Fairfax that locked me in traffic for 45 minutes.

In addition to being a talentless, two-faced company man and an abusive egotistical little poo poo, I will never loving forgive him for that and I see he's still engaging in the same fuckery.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Reading the article, James Corden is the one who came up for the idea of this particular Cinderella adaptation, which explains a lot too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Casimir Radon posted:

Edit: Growing up is realizing that Maverick really is a dangerous rear end in a top hat who shouldn’t be a pilot.

John McCain really suited that nickname once you look at it that way

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

John McCain really suited that nickname once you look at it that way
Well his military career anyway. He liked to use the “Maverick” label as a politician but was really a party line voter, who at most would hold a press conference to express how concerned he was about an issue, and then do nothing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Casimir Radon posted:

Well his military career anyway. He liked to use the “Maverick” label as a politician but was really a party line voter, who at most would hold a press conference to express how concerned he was about an issue, and then do nothing.

Oh yeah, I was only focusing on what a terrible pilot and worthless failson he was, and what an asset to the Viet Cong

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Man if only Paramount had a streaming service they could release these things on instead of just constantly pushing them back in hopes that movie theaters will eventually be a thing again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Movie theatres will be a thing as things calm down for a very brief moment until they get worse again.

The perfect window

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DurosKlav posted:

Man if only Paramount had a streaming service they could release these things on instead of just constantly pushing them back in hopes that movie theaters will eventually be a thing again.

There was an article last year about how the producers of Top Gun were absolutely adamant about it being a theatrical release because they think it is going to rake in huge bucks.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I just want to loving see DUNC. just let us have this poo poo you non-masking ignorant cunts ffs

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

PeterCat posted:

I don't believe that Top Gun 2 actually exists. I think they filmed a trailer and that's it.
Tom Cruise sits at home chuckling that he got to fly an F-18 on somebody else's dime, and only he can ever see the footage. The most expensive home movie ever.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sounds like James Corden ought to be fired out of a cannon into the sun

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hard to believe a talk show host can suck more than Fallon.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Martman posted:

He deleted his Twitter after a bunch of uhh at-best-questionable tweets about telling the "real story" of Tiananmen Square, arguing that the vast majority of the victims were actually wannabe bourgeoise students fighting for upper-middle class status, rather than idk noble innocent protesters or something

It’s extremely weird (not weird) that people responded in this way because a: that’s not what he said. He said the violence was directed at proletarians resisting Dengist reforms, and students and existing middle management protesting for roles in the expanded state capitalist Dengist system were largely not subjected to the same violence, b: no one arguing with him on twitter knew poo poo about Chinese politics at the time and just assumed students = left wing like in the United States and c: he was entirely accurate

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I would assume most Americans don’t know anything about Chinese politics, they just know square is good and that’s about it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I would assume most Americans don’t know anything about Chinese politics, they just know square is good and that’s about it

Yeah it was absolutely a case where they had no idea there were different factions and tendencies and agendas in play in the extremely complex transition from Maoist communism to Dengist state capitalism and he was perceived as defending Bad Authoritarian China. when he wasn’t, he’s a fucken Maoist he has no love for Deng, he was saying that the students, specifically, were not there protesting for “freedom” but for access to managerial jobs, and the violence was directed mostly at factory workers supporting the hardline communists. A rough American analogy would be the contrasting response to right wing anti lockdown protesters and BLM protestors

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

There was an article last year about how the producers of Top Gun were absolutely adamant about it being a theatrical release because they think it is going to rake in huge bucks.

It's probably part of their contract with the military.

Guys watching at home on their crappy tvs aren't gonna feel the need to sign up to go bomb China.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Casimir Radon posted:

Not even in the military sense. A maverick is someone that enlisted and earned their commission in the field and classroom. McCain father just bought him a seat in Annapolis.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Casimir Radon posted:

Hard to believe a talk show host can suck more than Fallon.

I was under the impression Fallon was just an empty suit. A nice enough guy interpersonally, just without any beliefs or convictions, and thus useful for people like Trump who wanted an affable prop to interact with on TV.

Corden is well-understood to be faithless and abusive towards those working under him, and generally mean-spirited to fans the second cameras turn off. It's not surprising he'd advocate for pay cuts to his own writing staff, based on everything I've heard about his conduct on and off set. He's a dick.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Fallon was apparently cool with and/or helping Horatio Sanz groom a literal high schooler, so he and Corden are actually both big pieces of poo poo for different reasons.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

PeterCat posted:

I don't believe that Top Gun 2 actually exists. I think they filmed a trailer and that's it.

It's this generation's New Mutants.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

James Corden ranks at least number seven on my list of celebrties I wouldn't mourn if they fell down a mineshaft.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
As annoying as Corden is I ran across that old clip of him and Patrick Stewart arguing at the awards show and he actually comes off as likeable in that. Stewart seems nasty in it to me and I'm surprised Corden was willing to come off as unlikeable and argue back. I think it was before he was as famous in the US and had a bit more personality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIBUWqSTp90

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

It’s extremely weird (not weird) that people responded in this way because a: that’s not what he said. He said the violence was directed at proletarians resisting Dengist reforms, and students and existing middle management protesting for roles in the expanded state capitalist Dengist system were largely not subjected to the same violence, b: no one arguing with him on twitter knew poo poo about Chinese politics at the time and just assumed students = left wing like in the United States and c: he was entirely accurate
I'll accept that I am probably presenting a skewed version based on people reading what he said in bad and misunderstood ways. It's frustrating though because I distinctly remember finding a post by him (maybe from a Facebook post and not a tweet though) that was really hard not to read as somehow downplaying the magnitude of Tiananmen generally, but I can't find it at all with how this stuff gets scrubbed off the internet sometimes. I even posted it somewhere on SA and remember the response being like "oh.... drat" and I'll try to find what I was thinking of.

e: I think he may have suggested that the CIA helped fabricate the idea that tanks were actually used to kill anyone in that event, something along those lines

Martman fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 2, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

It's this generation's New Mutants.

Speaking of, I finally watched this and it wasn't terrible. Not great and I probably won't ever watch it or even think about it again but it once more made me think how everyone who complained about it being "the worst movie ever" probably hasn't watched any non-Disney movie in years.

It did really make me laugh how Maisie Williams' mutant superpower was simply the fact that she's a werewolf.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

didn't boots riley deactivate his account because he went on a tweeting spree about china that was all over the place (the tiananmen stuff was only a small part of some truly galaxy brain takes) and how he thought "twink" was a mandarin term for uyghur trade schools

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
From my understanding Boots is one of those people who has some hot takes and deactivates every few months. In the funny Twitter thread that got linked people were referencing recent stuff. Although I guess the most recent time he just got tired of fighting with people about how the US media was handling the little round of protests in Cuba.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking of, I finally watched this and it wasn't terrible. Not great and I probably won't ever watch it or even think about it again but it once more made me think how everyone who complained about it being "the worst movie ever" probably hasn't watched any non-Disney movie in years.

It did really make me laugh how Maisie Williams' mutant superpower was simply the fact that she's a werewolf.

It's not even the worst X-Men movie, people just really wanted to slam the negativity on New Mutants

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The worse X-Men movies came out on time, so they were mostly in and out of the public consciousness relatively quickly.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This was maybe because I was expecting nothing but I actually really enjoyed New Mutants. It was like a YA version of Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Obligatory:

I DON"T EAT HOT DOGS AND DEFINITELY DONT EAT MY OWN CUM!!!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This was maybe because I was expecting nothing but I actually really enjoyed New Mutants. It was like a YA version of Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors.

Same, and I appreciated they tried to stick to the roots of the Demon Bear.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

this is real interesting. Gonna head to google about but if you have a good article about it it'd be appreciated.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1433418509527179264

MOONFALL

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Someone edit the trailer with majoras mask music and a face on the moon please.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

You know...I'm down for this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Wow they are going back to Star Wars Legends and picked Roland Emmerich, who knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Someone edit the trailer with majoras mask music and a face on the moon please.

Somebody edit this with a little arrow pointing to Moe's Bar