Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Good to know! I will not be gathering power for my alpha strikes in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Just talking about the intro, not very far into the game. Don't hover over this, enjoy the game

I've kind ended up going a more evil path than I expected. I initially sided Wenduag because I agreed that Lan's plan was moronic and likely to lead to mass casualties. Then we get into the maze and its really obviously a cult hideout and she's obviously known this the whole time and is likely mixed up with them in some way. I was disappointed there wasn't a 'bitch, are you for real' option when she's playing at not knowing exactly what's going on. And then again I sided her after Lan turns up again because he's such a himbo. The paladin is clearly going to get mad at some point and the bipolar girl couldn't be more untrustworthy. I'm still kind of laughing about the good dragon immediately getting owned by the locust

Overall I would rate this opening a hundred times more interesting than Kingmaker

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Roadie posted:

Slashing Grace and Fencing Grace are both in, and if you're really looking at ~optimization~ you want that free hand to use with the Crane Wing defensive fighting gimmicks.

Arcane Bomber is a good one, yeah.

Slashing Grace doesn't work with two weapons, which is what every sneak attack guy wants (unless it does so in the game, which it shouldn't, there's a specific other feat for that). That's part of what makes Rogue so good - with just 3 levels you get the equivalent of 2 feats (3 if you count Finesse). Also Evasion. If you go 4, also debilitating strike and uncanny dodge and another free feat. Rogue 4 is *good*, you guys. More... eh, ok, I can see the trade-offs and the theorycrafting and whatnot. Rogue 4 though.

Crane Wing can suck a cock, I'd rather add my whole sneak attack bucket (and dex to damage, and piranha strike/power attack) up to thrice more and just kill the guy right now thankyouverymuch.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kobal2 posted:

Slashing Grace doesn't work with two weapons, which is what every sneak attack guy wants (unless it does so in the game, which it shouldn't, there's a specific other feat for that). That's part of what makes Rogue so good - with just 3 levels you get the equivalent of 2 feats (3 if you count Finesse). Also Evasion. If you go 4, also debilitating strike and uncanny dodge and another free feat. Rogue 4 is *good*, you guys. More... eh, ok, I can see the trade-offs and the theorycrafting and whatnot. Rogue 4 though.

Crane Wing can suck a cock, I'd rather add my whole sneak attack bucket (and dex to damage, and piranha strike/power attack) up to thrice more and just kill the guy right now thankyouverymuch.

With Sanctified Slayer in particular, even without the Dex-to-damage at all (such as going TWF with it) you've got up to 4d6 bane damage per hit, the Studied Target +5 damage bonus, and completely ignoring DR on criticals at level 14+, all before the effects of any spell buffs. If somebody's got the build chops to get more effective damage than that out of Dex, they're not the kind of person who's going to need advice on better class picks in the first place.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Sucks not having a portrait that matches my character but I can't GIS up any buff oread ladies with greataxes for the life of me

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Drashin posted:

When you say crosblooded do you mean starting as a crossblood sorcerer for one level and then choose to be a bloodrager or do you mean be a mixedblood rager?

My mistake, I thought the subclass that lets you have two bloodlines was in but it's a different version. You can still have two bloodlines, you just need to use a mythic feat on it.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Blockhouse posted:

Sucks not having a portrait that matches my character but I can't GIS up any buff oread ladies with greataxes for the life of me

Maybe try and find the Pillars of Eternity portraits (or extract them if you own the games) ? Oreads are pretty drat close to Godlikes.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

In Kingmaker, is it worth the effort to get the secret ending

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

In Kingmaker, is it worth the effort to get the secret ending

Kind of. Don't feel you have to gun for the 'best' ending, especially if you were planning on romancing someone. It is worth it to at least do enough to unlock the real final chapter though.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ok so this game does a story thing that the first also did but it's about twice as annoying here.

Hello lady who wears a skull/snake necklace that I found standing above a recently murdered corpse, who I can't seem to see the alignment of, and who makes deals with obviously corrupt merchants. Oh, you're just going to join my crew and I can't call you out on anything at all or even make the choice I want to not make deals with that merchant? Cool.

At least in the last game you could partially outmaneuver the bad guy doing a similar thing. I have no idea if the same is true here.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Early days but I've been having a blast with wrath and no bugs so far. Good mix of rp and dungeon crawling, lots to do, interesting companions. Not sure how any crpg fans would hesitate buying this, very few new crpgs with this scale and production values.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

pentyne posted:

Choice paralysis for like 15 min on the character screen before just going with default sorc undead bloodline planned for Lich.

You almost doxxed me but this was 2 hours.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

adamarama posted:

Early days but I've been having a blast with wrath and no bugs so far. Good mix of rp and dungeon crawling, lots to do, interesting companions. Not sure how any crpg fans would hesitate buying this, very few new crpgs with this scale and production values.

Some definite animation ones. I don't think I've seen the magic missle animation work yet.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

My incredibly suboptimal Arcanist with high dex, int, and medium cha laughs at the min maxers. He will be a gloriously mediocre dex fighter when he gets a ton of feats and into Eldritch Knight. An hour or two in he's done alright tho.

I couldn't decide what I wanted to play since I played both Sword Saint and Eldritch Scion in KM but wanted something new that was an arcane fightery type. Blood Rager looked cool but I wasn't digging the 'rage!!' aesthetic. I could've gone with any type of Wizard but I hate that style of casting. I also wanted a skill monkey protagonist so it came down to either Arcanist or Sage Sorcerer as base and went for the new class.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 3, 2021

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Further trip report. Game has been loving great for the first 4-5 hours or so. Engine and graphics look great. Not Cyberpunk on a 3090 great or BG 3 at its best but for a released CRPG loving outstanding. I haven't come across any bugs. Characters are fun and interesting. It would be nice to be able to call them out on clear bullshit sometimes but you know its a piece of fiction that assumes the main character isn't an irony poisoned poster from the 21st century so I can forgive. This is so far miles above how Kingmaker is after endless fixes. It opens and the stakes are high and coherent. I feel bad for the goon who rage quit when he thought the game opening was going to be renfaire. I have a cannibal army now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dumb question but as a backer where do I get my steam key for the game?

edit: Nevermind, found it by logging in at https://wrath.owlcatgames.com/preorder/en

edit: My trip report from ~60 hours spent with the beta is that if the rest of the game holds up to the same quality as chapters 1-4 this is going to be the best CRPG ever made (for roleplaying/gameplay/mechanical purposes, maybe not story-wise)

evilmiera posted:

Ok so this game does a story thing that the first also did but it's about twice as annoying here.

Hello lady who wears a skull/snake necklace that I found standing above a recently murdered corpse, who I can't seem to see the alignment of, and who makes deals with obviously corrupt merchants. Oh, you're just going to join my crew and I can't call you out on anything at all or even make the choice I want to not make deals with that merchant? Cool.

At least in the last game you could partially outmaneuver the bad guy doing a similar thing. I have no idea if the same is true here.

In WotR evil and 'bad guy' are not synonymous (and neither are good and 'good guy'), give 'em a chance :) The conflict is rather nuanced in ways that aren't just generic alignment vs alignment stuff. Personal alignment and a person's mannerisms being completely detached from what side of the conflict they're on is a central theme of the game and you'll get plenty of opportunities to discuss it with them in-depth and outmaneuver them later if you want.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 3, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nephthys posted:

Kind of. Don't feel you have to gun for the 'best' ending, especially if you were planning on romancing someone. It is worth it to at least do enough to unlock the real final chapter though.

I was planning on the DLC romance, but I think you need to unlock the final chapter for that as well

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I was planning on the DLC romance, but I think you need to unlock the final chapter for that as well

AFAIK the DLC romance is just friends with as many horny (har dee har) benefits as you like and doesn't "count" as your One True Love, whether it's for the cheevo or for gating off the secret ending.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Just passed the intro part and while Kingmaker didn't take for me, this is really scratching the CRPG itch for me, haven't enjoyed one this much since Deadfire. Resisted the urge for a complicated build as a beginner and just went with a 2H fighter for simplicity, any traps or must-haves I should be aware of?

I did have to get some more portraits though. Zero new male half-orc portraits!? What gives!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

5 hours in, just got to Defender’s Heart. Outside of a couple wonky animations and one ~10 second hang before a scripted bit I don’t think I’ve encountered any bugs so far. Seems like a pretty stellar launch.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
yeah this is v solid esp compared to beta 3 legit impressed

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

pentyne posted:

Some definite animation ones. I don't think I've seen the magic missle animation work yet.

Odd, it's worked for me so far.

I was worried reading comments on the Steam board from people who'd been able to play the early access or beta suddenly having trouble running the game even on low settings, but it defaulted to "high" for me and it's worked for the three or so hours I've had time to play. I sort of wish I hadn't played early access, but hey...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think a lot of perceptions of the game are going to change after 10-15 hours of Crusade mode, either "gently caress it, auto-win" or "its broken but if they fix it then it could be amazing"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Do none of the people in the Defender’s Heart have money to buy stuff or what

I have so much goddamn looooot

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

There's a vendor that can buy everything in the exterior portion

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Oh there are definitely bugs a plenty (biggest one so far that I know of is turn-based mode being 100% broken on Macs). The Kingmaker Reddit has an ongoing thread of issues people think they've encountered.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Trip is probably the smart thing here right?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

got trapped under the carpet shadow realm, there is no escape

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Fat_Cow posted:

Trip is probably the smart thing here right?

Ayup but you'll get it as a bonus feat anyway, and then you can buy Greater Trip. Also Fury's Fall so you can, in true Responsible Monk fashion, keep on using every part of the stats page.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

Oh there are definitely bugs a plenty (biggest one so far that I know of is turn-based mode being 100% broken on Macs). The Kingmaker Reddit has an ongoing thread of issues people think they've encountered.

Just ran into a super annoying one. Succeed on a DC22 intimidate check, get a key to a loot cellar, game doesn't recognize that you have the key, can't get it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
two-hander skald's pretty fun so far. I get battle song soon so we'll see if I can make people explode

went 18/14/14/10/8/16 for stats because let's face it casting is not so much what I'm here for

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

So far game good, it’s been streamlined a lot since beta. My cavalier charging into combat on horseback underground and in houses with his glaive like this is some Morte d’Arthur poo poo and I’m loving every minute.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Annnnd now I've hit a bug in the first dungeon Shield Maze where a switch on the wall doesn't appear so I can't progress! Reloaded some old saves and nada.

e- Haha, not a bug! Just an odd design choice... you have to LOOT the paper explaining the torches, you can't just right click and read it on the body of the guard who carries it.

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 3, 2021

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I now have 4 guys shooting bows behind 2 frontline fighters. Is anyone else in this kinda odd situation? Also, I hope my bard is able to sing for longer soon, without singing she doesn't contribute a ton.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Arcanist exploits are pretty fucky wucky right now given that it seems like using one and reloading the game empties your entire reservoir retroactively through all your saves, at least as an exploiter wizard. Good thing I decided to go 20 Int after all I guess

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
This feels like an entirely different game polish-wise from my short run in Alpha. I'm really liking it.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Question:
Can anyone recommend a sturdy front-liner merc build with an animal companion?
I know that there aren't really tanks in Pathfinder, but still something that can take a beating.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Helion posted:

I now have 4 guys shooting bows behind 2 frontline fighters. Is anyone else in this kinda odd situation? Also, I hope my bard is able to sing for longer soon, without singing she doesn't contribute a ton.

You are going to need to take Lingering Song, the feat, if you want songs to last forever.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, between a bugged preinstall (looking around, presumably due to old alpha files) resulting in having to redownload everything once, and then my antivirus quarantining the .exe AND NOT loving TELLING ME resulting in another download (this time I got the message, and fixed it), only just starting now.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The two sellers at the Defender's Heart are the smith outside (who you really want to talk to for later reasons) and the barkeep (who you really want to look through their sale items for some really cool, but incredibly expensive, stuff).

And yeah, if you're actually looting efficiently you'll end up with an incredible amount of money. Practically everything is toting around masterwork or cold iron weapons, which are worth 100+gp each. A fair amount is masterwork cold iron, which is 200+gp. Several early beta streamers were not even looking at the weapons, presuming it was basic ~4gp stuff I guess, and just picking up the generic armor types they recognized as somewhat valuable - it was painful to watch how much gold they were ignoring and then wondering why they couldn't afford these cool items they were seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
If I wanted to make a Dexterity-focused Sanctified Slayer, does it make sense to take a Rogue dip early for finesse feats?