Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MY KINGDOM FOR A SAVE POINT

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

capcom pls, i wanted to go to bed after jack came back

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm trying to wrap my head around Mia's gun. It's like it wanted to be a shotgun, but then swerved at the last minute and became a weird drum-fed compact machine gun.

Of course, the bigger issue is the long gap between save points. I am starting to understand why the ship area gets frequently called the low point of the game.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That is... a lot of stuff to have without a save point.

RIP to anyone who wanted sleep or had something else to do after they fought Jack.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

agribbly

So I've seen/heard you use the term "gribbly" in many a Let's Play, and I wanted to ask something. I can definitely tell from context what it means, but what specific criteria are there for determining the gribbly-ness of something? What makes a gribbly gribbly?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Generally there are three qualifications:

- Goop of some variety, preferably viscous in nature
--- There is an additional bias toward goop that gets all over your dude like yuck
- Being all wiggly in some capacity, be it tentacles or something else about the object that aimlessly shuffles
- It must be transformative, generally a bastardization of what it appears to be at first glance but not necessary
--- This allows the term to be appropriate for transformed or controlled vehicles or machines, like a ghost bulldozer or something

The molded for example are a perfect archetypal gribbly. They are a bastardization of humans, made out of humans transformed, that go all wiggly and shuffle like goofballs to dodge your attacks, and are SO viscous and get SO all over your dude like yuck.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around Mia's gun. It's like it wanted to be a shotgun, but then swerved at the last minute and became a weird drum-fed compact machine gun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PP-19_Bizon

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are two wolves inside every game developer, one which desires to name the weapon Bizon, and another which implores you to name it PP

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

quote:

designed by a team of engineers headed by Victor Kalashnikov (son of engineer Mikhail Kalashnikov, creator of the AK-47). Alexei Dragunov, youngest son of Yevgeny Dragunov (the creator of the SVD sniper rifle), was also a member of the design team.

Neat.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Every time I see that gun I can't help but think that it's some kind of very thin SMG with an underslung grenade launcher. Then I see it reload and I wonder, "Why are they taking off the grenades?"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That episode was basically just The Poseidon Advenure which, weird thing for a kids show to be cribbing from, but hey the kids aren't going to get it.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Binge watched the episodes today - very much enjoying the LP.

I definitely had to look away once Ethan's hand was cut off. That had my stomach starting to feel queasy. It's a shame the remakes and RE7 went for such gore, I can't play them. This one got better once most of the injuries weren't to normal people. Didn't make it far into the remakes. I had a blast with RE4 (who didn't?) and fun with RE5.

Unless we learn something more about Zoe, I feel bad for her. I agree Ethan had to choose Mia, but I was tempted strongly to choose Zoe. I'll be very interested to see what happens if one picks to save her.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I wonder, is it possible to be so dense that you're impervious to psychic powers? I mean, Ethan was dense enough to look at the Baker house and think that this place was just weird, and not that it was occupied by a family of murderers. I mean the man still hasn't questioned how he's able to reattach limbs and heal by pouring chemicals on himself yet... Or has he questioned that and I just missed it? Regardless, Ethan seems to be a rather dense individual, I wonder if that's why Eveline hasn't controlled him yet, maybe she just can't get through his Fort Knox of a skull. Or did they explain that already and I just haven't heard it?

stryth fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 10, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People have survived resident evil games by being a himbo before look at chris redfield

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

CJacobs posted:

People have survived resident evil games by being a himbo before look at chris redfield

Chris is... a unique case. I'm fairly certain all the viruses, parasites, and bioweapons he's been exposed to have combined with mental trauma, and turned him into something not unlike an Ogre. big, freakishly strong, dim as obsidian, dense as osmium.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Himbo-ism has protected many an RE character.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shei-kun posted:

Himbo-ism has protected many an RE character.

Anyone with even a modicum of brains turns evil anyways.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

stryth posted:

I wonder, is it possible to be so dense that you're impervious to psychic powers? I mean, Ethan was dense enough to look at the Baker house and think that this place was just weird, and not that it was occupied by a family of murderers. I mean the man still hasn't questioned how he's able to reattach limbs and heal by pouring chemicals on himself yet... Or has he questioned that and I just missed it? Regardless, Ethan seems to be a rather dense individual, I wonder if that's why Eveline hasn't controlled him yet, maybe she just can't get through his Fort Knox of a skull. Or did they explain that already and I just haven't heard it?

Are you suggesting that Lucas might also be impervious, because I have a thought about that.

Let's start off with the hallucination scene and assume that what Jack says is true - He's not a bad man, neither is Marie (or Zoe*) for that matter. Not violent, not evil, but corrupted by Eveline and her gift. It can be argued that Jack and Marie are actually really good people. Classic, genuine, help a stranger that needs it, good people. But Eveline uses her gift to corrupt them, and turn them into a twisted version of that personality. Yes, they welcome you to their home, their family, and feed you, but it is false hospitality, and they are force feeding you rotten food, and tying you down to whatever furniture is available. That's them fighting against Eveline's influence. She commands them to hurt and kill, and they resist, which she doesn't like, so she over powers them and forces her will into action.

And then there's Lucas. He was already a psychopath, as demonstrated with the kid he locked up in the attic to starve to death from when he was also just a kid. He did a stint in the Marines (I think it's a Marine outfit we see a picture with him in), but no telling for sure how that turned out. But it seems he probably made some connections during his time there. Now Eveline comes along and starts to use her voodoo on him, and instead of fighting it, because he's a good person deep down inside, he embraces it. He loves the power that he gets from this and she encourages his behavior, feeding him, but otherwise leaving him free to do whatever he wants. So because he's not fighting against her, he gets to reap all the benefits of mold power, and keep his mind his own. Which is how he's able to report on Eveline to whoever it is that he's working for/with. Now, whether it's just coincidence that the ship carrying Eveline happened to run aground at the Baker estate where Lucas had presumably been waiting for an opportunity to do something, is debatable. But I would believe some note somewhere would mention something something crash the ship something agent in vicinity.

*It really feels like Zoe was going to be a much bigger part of this game. Maybe there never was a choice and after you give the cure to Mia, Zoe turns on you and you would have had to fight her. Hence the line with Jack saying "not even Zoe". Or maybe Zoe was originally going to be Mia's "bad" personality when Eveline had control, and "good" Mia was the one guiding Ethan through the estate and giving clues.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Possiblity - Lucas was hallucinating/lying about locking the kid in the attic. He has/had a genuine mental illness that his family was seeking treatment for - although we've got to take his word for his mother(?) taking him to the hospital for the brain scan - and looking after him, making sure that he never really hurt anyone or himself. Do we have anything other than his note pointing towards the disappearance of that kid?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Honestly that may be the point of the note from a narrative point of view. The spooky part they intended may be that you read the note before you find the way up to the attic and then must explore around the room, building tension as you walk around the completely silent kids' room wondering what the hell gunky gribbly child nightmare will be in THIS attic after the previous one.

Then you get up there and just kidding Lucas was bullshitting a revenge fantasy in his diary like kids do. Gotcha, player!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
That might explain why there's no body or skeleton up there, because as we see, Lucas is certainly a fan of holding on to trophies.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

And that's it for the main campaign! We'll be covering the DLC and some other erroneous bits from the main story shortly, but the release of said videos might be a bit erratic, between life stuff getting in the way and me gearing up to move within the month. We've got another video ready for Thursday, but after that, we'll probably put up videos as we get them done.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I forget, did we see what happened to Lucas or Zoe? Are they still alive?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The fate of the Baker siblings will be covered in the DLC, don’t worry.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I personally find both of the main DLC campaigns satisfying for different reasons: Lucas' from a story standpoint, and Zoe's from a :black101: standpoint. But I'll wait for y'all to cover them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are so many god drat DLCs and they are so much fun. They put out SO much extra content for this wonderful game, hours of it.

And good for Ethan, man. The guy scrambled his way to victory like a rat in a maze. I love that final reminder that yes this game did in fact happen in realtime exactly as we experienced it and Chaos Argate did in fact send Mr Winters away on his Tragedy in one six hour muck-covered evening.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 14, 2021

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm getting ahead of myself but I hope to see Village LP soon.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bit confused as to why CJacobs is saying that isn't Chris Redfield of previous games when... it is.

They used a facial capture model like they did for all the other actors in the game, which is why he doesn't look like his old self, but that's reverted for the next game.

There's no new continuity, RE7 is a direct sequel to RE6 in the timeline.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 15, 2021

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
There's some developer commentaries on official RE youtube channel and one of them said it would've been difficult to find an actor similar to Chris so they went with a more realistic style.

Roidfield is the best Chris so they made him like his RE6 self again in Village.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bewilderment posted:

Bit confused as to why CJacobs is saying that isn't Chris Redfield of previous games when... it is.

They used a facial capture model like they did for all the other actors in the game, which is why he doesn't look like his old self, but that's reverted for the next game.

There's no new continuity, RE7 is a direct sequel to RE6 in the timeline.

I really dunno where the confusion lies man that guy said his name was Redfield and that clearly is that guy's name completely independent of Chris and the rest of the series because he didn't introduce himself properly and LOOKS different which means it is of course actually a transformed Wesker in disguise with the gun being a hint by the developers and in Not A Hero you'll fight the real Chris Redfield and

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There were several really funny goon theories that were sadly genuine regarding Chris there not actually saying 'CHRIS Redfield' and I will be making fun of that for the entirety of Not A Hero, I'm not sorry

edit: i'm Not A Sorry

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 15, 2021

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
The only way tell CJ's sarcasm voice apart from his regular speaking voice, is with extensive computer analysis that would probably take several hours, and even then, the analysis would only have a 40% accuracy.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My apologies that you had to explain the joke.

Good LP with good commentary! Going the extra mile to get multiple takes for a movie-like experience is really going beyond!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

As a reminder, this is the last thing we have finalized, so episodes will start to go up when they're ready and not on any schedule. Hopefully by the time I'm done moving and can build up a backlog again, we can resume our regularly scheduled programming.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yes, liquidy. Heavy floods from hurricanes/tropcial storms causing fires do exist.

Take this example from the recent Hurricane Ida, in New York City:
https://twitter.com/AWxNYC/status/1433265054472933376

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Yeah, that's something I didn't know anything about. Certainly an attention to detail there, I suppose. Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The commentary for this was done and edited Saturday night and this uploaded last night, so if the higher quality video options aren't ready, give it a few days for YouTube's extremely long 4K video processing!