Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Theorycrafters should stick to “Ending EXPLAINED” YouTube videos, and away from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

man is the real thing

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I am someone who tbh doesn't like/know much about Horror but I've always pictured the entire genre as only having two things to make people scared of: Death, and Madness.

No matter what horror movie you can think of, whatever you're supposed to be scared of can be boiled down to either death (incl. severe bodily injury) or madness. There's nothing that a monster in a horror movie can ever threaten to do to you other than hurt you or drive you insane. And sure those are both scary things but after seeing 3 or 4 horror movies then every additional one was just like "Yep, more of the same, cool."

And then if you watch them under the frame of mind of "What makes this monster chasing this person any scarier than, I don't know, a cop shooting at them, when they would both have the same outcome?" and the answer is nothing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Alien is my favorite horror movie, and really one of my top 3 favorite movies of all time, but the Thing is up there and really close for favorite horror movie.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

I am someone who tbh doesn't like/know much about Horror but I've always pictured the entire genre as only having two things to make people scared of: Death, and Madness.

No matter what horror movie you can think of, whatever you're supposed to be scared of can be boiled down to either death (incl. severe bodily injury) or madness. There's nothing that a monster in a horror movie can ever threaten to do to you other than hurt you or drive you insane. And sure those are both scary things but after seeing 3 or 4 horror movies then every additional one was just like "Yep, more of the same, cool."

And then if you watch them under the frame of mind of "What makes this monster chasing this person any scarier than, I don't know, a cop shooting at them, when they would both have the same outcome?" and the answer is nothing.

what

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jay Rust posted:

Theorycrafters should stick to “Ending EXPLAINED” YouTube videos, and away from me

"How to beat X monster"

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Honestly who cares if the GB/GBC games are bad and or have aged horribly since we last played them 25 years ago. I think it's neat, and shows that Nintendo is committed to expanding content available to Switch Online.

With all that said, add Nintendo 64 titles to it! People have been hoping for some sort of N64 retro release since the SNES classic was released.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remember when gamespot or ign or whoever put out the death stranding video called HOW TO KILL BTS

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Do you shoot them until they die?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Realizing monsters in horror movies are no more threatening than a person with a gun ruined horror movies for me

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

thank you for this. I have a lot to think about.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Realizing monsters in horror movies are no more threatening than a person with a gun ruined horror movies for me

I'd be afraid of a person with a gun

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm screaming into a void with excitement https://www.fangamer.com/collections/noby-noby-boy/products/noby-noby-boy-vinyl-soundtrack

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

first ever sighting of "strawgenre"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm not particularly into horror movies but i think getting hung up on fiction's irreconcilability with reality is silly. like do you want to watch something that gives you ptsd??

Weedle
May 31, 2006

for me it's like, if you get shot with a gun you bleed out and probably die. pretty predictable. but what is a monster gonna do to you? it could kill you in a way you couldn't even imagine. it could be longer and more painful than any human-inflicted death. it could put a larva in you that eats your organs slowly and you take weeks to die. it could inject acid into your brain and melt it from the inside. it could shapeshift into your doppelganger and prey on your friends and family. who knows??

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.fangamer.com/collections/noby-noby-boy/products/noby-noby-boy-pin

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The United States posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seDjFkaUaek

Yeah it's very nice and even though it doesn't compare to draw distances today (now that consoles have the memory to do a lot of different levels of detail) it was a big next-gen step up over the BF2-level draw distances of Mercenaries 1.

The world not having as much detail as we expect these days is just a consequence of it being made for PS360 level hardware. But hey it could have been worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFdivUSekwk

Pretty much yeah. They're just too clean and pretty and stereotypical to be relatable which is a problem cause that seems to be what they're going for.

Even if this guy is a bit dated in some of his thinking. I kinda doubt today's gangsters are wearing fubu and tims. Their dads maybe.

Booky posted:

i have a hot question for u all:

is september summer or fall?

Accounting for you being in the northern hemisphere I think it's Bunuru.

Six seasons ftw. Cause yeah at least here, the first month of autumn is way hotter than the first two months of summer.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Monster Rancher has a lot of extremely good monsters

Maybe my favorite is the animated duck doll that can launch parts of it's body as explosives

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Arzaac posted:

Monster Rancher has a lot of extremely good monsters

Maybe my favorite is the animated duck doll that can launch parts of it's body as explosives

If I'm remembering right, you gain access to it by collecting winning caps on the pudding you can buy your monster.

Edit: lol I got part of it right but man way more complex than I remembered

Monster Rancher Wiki posted:

To obtain a Ducken in Monster Rancher 2, feed your monster cup jellies until you collect 5 lids with diamonds on them. Send away for a Duck Doll which you can then sell or give to your monster. Raise your monster to Class C with at least 50 Fame and 210 Life. You must have already gone to the Kawrea once with Dr. Talico. On Feb. 1, Rovest will invite you to explore the Torles Mountains. Search the three trees in the front for the Strong Glue (it is randomly placed in one of the trees and can be difficult to find!). Collect 5 more diamond lids and build another Duck Doll using the Glue. Use this item in combining with any two monsters.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 3, 2021

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

are there any horror movies about making eye contact or talking to strangers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

bird box, a quiet place

bideojames
Aug 29, 2004

>:3
getting a standing ovation as my ted talk “the xenonorph is actually a gun and therefore not scary” comes to a close

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

there's that one super popular SCP where the worst thing that can happen is getting sunlight on you

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have never been "Scared" by a horror game ok those mannequins in Condemned jump-scared me and I honestly get more creeped out by the characters who basically get "mental shutdowns" in Pychonauts 2 and are just babbling vegetables spitting out random sentences that seem like nonsense but are clearly connected to some memory that used to be meaningful but is now fragmented and disconnected from everything

It's the same thing that really gets me about the hiss chant stuff in Control

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Meet cute scenes in romantic comedies are extremely scary to me...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Meet cute scenes in romantic comedies are extremely scary to me...

Oh this also reminds me that I have a more visceral reaction to "cringe" or extreme awkwardness in media, this might be what normies feel with horror

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am very unlikely but not impossible because this is hellworld to be hunted down by a killer in real life but if they kill me I'll be dead

I am far more likely to end up in some embarrassing cringe scenario and not only will I have to remember it but everyone who is there will also remember it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My wife loves the original UK office but I couldn't stand to watch it, the second hand embarrassment is so bad sometimes I wanna crawl out of my own skin.

Nowadays people just use "cringe" to mean "anything vaguely connected to a human emotion whatsoever" so the word has lost all meaning.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hwurmp posted:

there's that one super popular SCP where the worst thing that can happen is getting sunlight on you

We all hate the dreaded sun sickness, just keep going towards the adamantine

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have never been "Scared" by a horror game ok those mannequins in Condemned jump-scared me and I honestly get more creeped out by the characters who basically get "mental shutdowns" in Pychonauts 2 and are just babbling vegetables spitting out random sentences that seem like nonsense but are clearly connected to some memory that used to be meaningful but is now fragmented and disconnected from everything

It's the same thing that really gets me about the hiss chant stuff in Control

Silent Hill 2 is probably the gold standard in horror games, although personally I felt more miserable playing it than scared. A very grim experience.

Stalker: SoC, which I've been playing recently when I've had time, also has some very good horror elements in it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Correction on my previous post: If you preordered Colors Ultimate then the game is available to play right now

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Relax Or DIE posted:

it's cool that bravely default 2 is on steam, i would like to go back and finish it on switch at some point. i wouldn't mind seeing the other two make it there but i have to imagine sorting out the DS stuff would take a bunch of extra work.

i played about 25(ish?) hours in and just stopped. it's not bad but it had a weird difficulty thing where the first couple of real bosses are tough, then you have several chapters of pretty easy stuff you can just roll through first try, then a boss that actually required me to step back and thing about the party comp again. i just didn't ever go back to try again. I think, at least as far as i played, the game relies a little to heavily on 'ah, heroes, you've depleted a bunch of my health so here's my next phase that you'll just die to if you don't happen to have the answer on hand!'

The answer is Beastmaster. Whatever situation you're talking about, the answer is always Beastmaster.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
A couple of friends have arrived

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I see three friends

Kazooie is not a friend she's mean

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Macaluso posted:

Ya-huck!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Macaluso posted:

Which one did the cat murder first

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ChickenHeart posted:

Which one did the cat murder first

Link

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've now finished Saints Row 3, 4, and Gat. Dated references aside they're all still pretty fun and I'm looking forward to the new one.

I may get Agents of Mayhem on sale but ehh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Good catte