Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If It's For My Daughter had a weird vibe to it right from the start (I dropped it almost immediately) and Bunny Drop had a very clear shift in plot by doing the time skip, so I feel like if S-Rank Daughter was going to pull a swerve it would have signaled something already. I've never gotten that feeling from it like I did the For My Daughter one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
That is an encouraging relief to hear. Thanks, all!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Wholesome Isekai Thread: Desperately Hoping That This One Doesn’t Have Incest

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Artificer posted:

It's because of that isekai protagonist haircut

It keeps happening!!!

Huh. I thought the calling card was the inevitable black trenchcoat armor.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Huh. I thought the calling card was the inevitable black trenchcoat armor.

I thought it was the terrible mask.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The new Bookworm volume was quite good. I enjoyed Rosemyne as Ender Wiggin and she’s gained a valuable ally in the form of the prince who she helped court his crush, though the Aub and Ferdinand would been mortified had they known how blunt she was with him

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Nitrousoxide posted:

though the Aub and Ferdinand would been mortified had they known how blunt she was with him

fortunately you don't have to leave this to your imagination because they let her know in the next Volume

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I saw this and thought of you all.

Also : Dungeon Reset is so much fun. Though I feel like calling it 'Minecraft Isekai' is a bit more appropriate. Korean Isekai deserves more love.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 3, 2021

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m not going to lie: I can only read so many Korean series because my finger gets tired scrolling down too much, and my stack is already occupied with a bunch of villainess series of highly variable quality

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nrook posted:

I’m not going to lie: I can only read so many Korean series because my finger gets tired scrolling down too much, and my stack is already occupied with a bunch of villainess series of highly variable quality

Have you considered using page up and page down instead?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've bound page up/page down to my side mouse buttons because of manhwa.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
they're much easier to read on your phone since that's kinda what they're designed for.

Dungeon Reset is silly but it's a lot of fun. I also like A Returner's Magic Should Be Special if you count going back in time ones (or just as a general fantasy-setting comic).

I started reading Solitary Lady and Saving My Sweetheart recently, which are both "reset back in time" fantasy romance ones.

for modern-setting "trapped in a game" webtoons it's hard to beat Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint. I also like I Woke Up As the Villain but it's not super original, kind of a mashup of ORV and Solo Leveling with some "transmigrated into a novel as a minor bad guy" mixed in.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Everything Burrito posted:

they're much easier to read on your phone since that's kinda what they're designed for.

I get that, but they leave so much empty space between panels it just gets hard to follow.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

khy posted:

I saw this and thought of you all.
Too many fantasy isekai nowadays. We need some good old fashion cowboys vs Orcs.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Where's the alien abduction isekai? All the summoning going on is literally that, but I can probably count the number of sci-fi series on one hand.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, there was that one that began as a pretty direct last starfighter copy, intentional or not. but then it got really weird.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Zodack posted:

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't looking for exactly a serious story as I really like the one joke of "girl develops gimmick build based on impossibly high defense", but after Loving Sacrifice (Knockback vs. the AoE was a cool touch in PvP) every powerup she gets has massively high destructive power regardless of her imbalanced stats.

I guess it went from "girl trips into gimmick build and cleverly makes use of it" to "girl is handed insanely busted abilities on sheer luck". I'm still gonna watch Season 2 though, I like the crafting of the world and the guild and whatnot. Feels like Log Horizon in a certain way I can't exactly put my finger on.

I preferred when the series was 'Maple stumbles into sole obscure little reward she manages to get purely because of her build'

Things like 'taking 100 attacks in a row from an on level monster' and it giving her a damage resistance bonus is fun.

The second she got the hydra power that could kill anyone 40 levels above her instantly it stopped really being fun because you knew there would be no tension, she now had a mega hammer for nearly every situation

Edit: I'd basically love a vrmmo or isekai about weird gimmick stuff getting OP to... actually spent time on it, and show that development. It feels like they all go 'I have a horrible build *3 chapters later* I can now kill people who are considered the best at this!'

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 3, 2021

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

KittyEmpress posted:

I preferred when the series was 'Maple stumbles into sole obscure little reward she manages to get purely because of her build'

Things like 'taking 100 attacks in a row from an on level monster' and it giving her a damage resistance bonus is fun.

The second she got the hydra power that could kill anyone 40 levels above her instantly it stopped really being fun because you knew there would be no tension, she now had a mega hammer for nearly every situation

Edit: I'd basically love a vrmmo or isekai about weird gimmick stuff getting OP to... actually spent time on it, and show that development. It feels like they all go 'I have a horrible build *3 chapters later* I can now kill people who are considered the best at this!'

When the devs started panicking and coming with elaborate nerfs that would only really apply to her is where it gets more interesting.

Also does "If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord" stay wholesome. My wife really likes it and is sad there is no more anime and I was going to show her how to read manga.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm not sure "tension" was ever the aim of Maple. The entire thing is a goofy comedy and has been from the start.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I mean even without "tension" I was looking forward to the buildup of "how will her goofy build be able to beat Payne / can she beat Payne" and the answer to that question was not particularly fun or interesting, nor was her battle against Mii in the later stages of that fight. Though Mii herself kind of rules.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

LorneReams posted:

When the devs started panicking and coming with elaborate nerfs that would only really apply to her is where it gets more interesting.

Also does "If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord" stay wholesome. My wife really likes it and is sad there is no more anime and I was going to show her how to read manga.
we were just talking about that last page. I think its the manga where the dude marries his adoptive daughter so

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

The Wholesome Isekai Thread: Desperately Hoping That This One Doesn’t Have Incest

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Nihilarian posted:

we were just talking about that last page. I think its the manga where the dude marries his adoptive daughter so

Ahh what, it doesn't seem that way at all, if true what a shock. I guess I'll have to read it first.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I went back to the dad manga thread where I'd posted about reading some of it originally and it was the LN translation I was getting the "hmmmm something seems to be up" vibe from so I didn't even bother looking at the other adaptions, but iirc the later covers (not sure if those were LN or manga) also show the daughter in a wedding dress and maybe their kid later so it's gonna go there eventually.

I'm a Middle-Aged Man Who Got My Adventurer License Revoked, but I Can Enjoy Life Because I Have a Lovely Daughter has had no hint of taking the "raising an adopted daughter only to marry her later" route and is a pretty good fantasy-setting dad manga.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 3, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I assume this is not Sword Dad manga.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
UGGGG, I'll just tell her it ended then and they all lived happily ever after. The show got her through a deep depression and I don't want to ruin that for her.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I went back to the dad manga thread where I'd posted about reading some of it originally and it was the LN translation I was getting the "hmmmm something seems to be up" vibe from so I didn't even bother looking at the other adaptions, but iirc the later covers (not sure if those were LN or manga) also show the daughter in a wedding dress and maybe their kid later so it's gonna go there eventually.

I'm a Middle-Aged Man Who Got My Adventurer License Revoked, but I Can Enjoy Life Because I Have a Lovely Daughter has had no hint of taking the "raising an adopted daughter only to marry her later" route and is a pretty good fantasy-setting dad manga.

Dude has so much dad energy he ends up being a surrogate father to basically his entire former adventuring team.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Have there been no updates to Witch's Servant?

LorneReams posted:

UGGGG, I'll just tell her it ended then and they all lived happily ever after. The show got her through a deep depression and I don't want to ruin that for her.

Sucks that you have to do that, but good on you.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
More like Usagi DROPPED. Am I right?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the only thing I'll say in defense of "If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord" is that at least it was polite enough to go mask off by like, the end of LN volume 2/early 3ish or w/e it was instead of waiting 90% of the runtime and getting people's hopes up like bunny drop

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought his obsession with his adopted daughter was pretty unsettling even before it went full usagi drop.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Murasaki Shikibu has a lot to answer for

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

If your adopted daughter doesn't marry you, she's going to end up with your imp butler or maybe the lord of darkness.

Or maybe I'm just bad at playing Princess Maker.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What's wrong with the Lord of Darkness? He's got good stats and can take over the world

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Kwyndig posted:

What's wrong with the Lord of Darkness? He's got good stats and can take over the world

He has bad breath

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Unhappy Meal posted:

Where's the alien abduction isekai? All the summoning going on is literally that, but I can probably count the number of sci-fi series on one hand.

I've got a science-as-magic-as-science / gods are just aliens bridge to sell you if you can stomach pseudo-webcomics

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow I chose the best-worst time to start reading this. 28 drops so many bombs. :psyduck:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sindai posted:

Wow I chose the best-worst time to start reading this. 28 drops so many bombs. :psyduck:

holy poo poo :eyepop:
I hadn't read 28 yet and drat

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a villainess manga a bit more serious than Bakarina, but where the MC isn't just a borderline sociopathic puppetmaster who's having too good of a time torturing her former tormentors? Way too many of the ones I read take joy in showing how miserable the MC is making the bullies (some of whom I'm pretty sure haven't even done anything yet in the new timeline)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's a couple I'm aware of, though they're popular enough you probably know of them too.

Deathbound Duke's Daughter is a bit more serious*, though the MC is certainly a bit airheaded. She actually helps the previous tormentors, but mostly by not being the rear end in a top hat that sets everything wrong to begin with. (*I say a bit because while the events that happen are very serious and life threatening, the overall tone is happy.)

Endo and Kobayashi's Live Commentary is from an outside PoV that communicates with one of the "tormentors" to give him insight into how the villainess is more incredibly awkward around affection than actually intending harm. It's about as silly as Bakarina, though.