Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

HookedOnChthonics posted:

gently caress off. the current world state of affairs was not inevitable and was not dictated by 'natural laws' or whatever; the whole nasty/brutish/short state of nature meme is perpetuated by capital because it benefits capital, not because that's how human beings actually act when society is stripped away

No one ever remembers the skeletons of 80-year-olds who were carried around by their tribes for multiple decades after more-or-less healing from fatal trauma.
:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

gently caress off. the current world state of affairs was not inevitable and was not dictated by 'natural laws' or whatever; the whole nasty/brutish/short state of nature meme is perpetuated by capital because it benefits capital, not because that's how human beings actually act when society is stripped away

humans have been selfishly shaping the environment for their own needs and priorities since time immemorial, often at the expense of almost everything else. there's no doubt whatsoever that capitalism dialed that poo poo to infinity, but the modern era is hardly the only one where we disappeared entire forests and made species go extinct via hunting and habitat destruction, for example.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

humans have been selfishly shaping the environment for their own needs and priorities since time immemorial, often at the expense of almost everything else. there's no doubt whatsoever that capitalism dialed that poo poo to infinity, but the modern era is hardly the only one where we disappeared entire forests and made species go extinct via hunting and habitat destruction, for example.
So are capitalists humans, or are non-capitalists a separate species evolved from homo sapiens?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

gently caress off back to dnd also capitalism turbocharged it and it would've been manageable otherwise. capitalism is only good at resource extraction

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Homocow posted:

plastic pollution is the thing that cracks my brain the hardest

there was never a plan to deal with the pollution, just "recycle lol"
Instead of just banning plastic food and drink containers and packaging they're just replacing known harmful plastics with entirely untested plastics that are just as bad. Stop it you fuckers, I don't want new forms of plastic on my food, I want it gone completely.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

capitalism is also good at maximizing misery for a lot of people

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Judakel posted:

capitalism is only good at resource extraction
It's mediocre at best; where it really shines is maximising avoidable and needless suffering.

BEATEN BY NANOSECONDS:argh:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

now now, capitalism is also good at perpetuating an aristocracy with its ideological veil of strictly nominal meritocracy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

tbf this is some biotruthy can of worms that probably isn't worth opening. homosapiens evolved literally for fire as it reduces the need of our body to breakdown raw meats/vegetables and reduce other needs to focus on bigbrain poo poo, fire is integral to homospaiens going back however many hundred of thousand of years; and the biosphere was perfectly healthy up until almost a blink of an eye on a species/geologic-scale. now certainly pre-industrial/pre-capitalism europe destroyed a large portion of it's environment and then started exporting destruction when they used up all they had, but capitalism also existed in other forms there as well, and i don't believe it's a predestined state for humanity to develop that, but, well, we did.

not to entirely overly-romanticize indigenous america because there were certainly some environmental self-destruction (albeit, usually coupled with long-term droughts or extreme weather so it's hard to say whether the desperation to survive ramped it up and they 'collapsed' anyways or what), but i think it's pretty safe to say globally we had lived a more indigenous-americas style then the biosphere would be completely unequivocally fine today. yeah there'd be some localized reshaping or what not, but not to extent it'd wipe out entire biosphere. Now we wouldn't have had >8 figures of humans on the planet for a lot of reasons under that because the human-boom was driven by external energy sourced through fossil fuels and mega environmental destruction to keep it going and there are some crazy proponents who say we should have 20 billion people and it's perfectly fine.

anyways to get back to it, no. fire isn't the problem

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Libs love to tell themselves that if we stop making stupid plastic poo poo and stop driving personal vehicles everywhere that we'd all be living like starving undeveloped country folk so we can't possibly do anything useful to stop climate catastrophe.

"maybe don't drive everywhere"

I CANT BELIEVE YOU WANT TO END MODERN MEDICINE. gently caress YOU ECO FASCIST /ban

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I watched Bright Green Lies yesterday.

It was ok. Seemed like an important piece on the folly of renewable energy. But it has some big flaws, in my eyes.

For one, I wish it had gone into more detail and presented more numbers. The segment on hydropower was literally 90 seconds long. Would have loved to hear more about that. A lot of claims are made about what dams do but no examples are given. How do they destroy the region downriver? How badly do they impact fish migrations? How much methane is produced? Bizarrely, the show doesn't mention the amount of concrete that goes into building dams, despite mentioning concrete production elsewhere. More numbers would have been great. How much land has been flooded? How many GW do dams produce? Gimme the dam numbers!! The most glaring omission from the "hydro" segment is that wave power is not mentioned at all.

While the implied message throughout the first half was "reduce energy consumption" slowly morphing into "stop industrial civilization", I had to roll my eyes when it eventually took its final form, "let's all go back to hunter gathering". I recognise that Agriculture Was a Mistake an actual viewpoint some hold (including in this thread) but it's just complete bollocks. The idea that farming is never sustainable under any circumstances can get in the bin.

Finally a little lol at the opening scene with the guy breaking into a solar panel farm. "why have they got a fence around it? what don't THEY want you to know??" It's a fence dude, they don't want people getting in and breaking/stealing poo poo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I watched Bright Green Lies yesterday.

It was ok. Seemed like an important piece on the folly of renewable energy. But it has some big flaws, in my eyes.

i agree it wasn't very good, i watched it live and i said pretty much as much. the more paper-based equivalent of BGL that Rime linked does a better job of numbers ,or at least a citation when it summarizes so you can find it https://scarp.ubc.ca/sites/scarp.ubc.ca/files/energies-14-04508%20%283%29.pdf (i also have a lot of similar BGL-esque issues with this one; i.e. feels like a lot of absolute insignificant details given significance than is warranted in trying to be more length-listy, but overall does a lot better job)

if you want a large breakdown of hydro https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-319-73250-3.pdf

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Stop it you fuckers, I don't want new forms of plastic on my food, I want it gone completely.
Oh sir, this microplastic is only wafer thin

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i wonder where along the line the microplastics enter the food chain. some of it seems obvious; i’m curious to know why / depressed by the fact that beer is apparently on the high end

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I guess that's why my beer is free. :shrug:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

what if becoming a locust is like becoming a bimbo

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

mediaphage posted:

i wonder where along the line the microplastics enter the food chain. some of it seems obvious; i’m curious to know why / depressed by the fact that beer is apparently on the high end

at this point it's floating around in the air and rain and snow and wildfire ash and probably enters the food chain at all points globally

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

all bimbo know is swarm, eat hot chip and fly

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Did anyone put carbon credits on the blockchain yet? Sounds like a good idea, the credits would cancel out the co2 from mining them making it carbon neutral

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

RIP Syndrome posted:

Did anyone put carbon credits on the blockchain yet? Sounds like a good idea, the credits would cancel out the co2 from mining them making it carbon neutral

https://nftrees.com/

quote:

The base-level NFTree costs $10 and represents the following:

1 tonne of carbon offset
1 tree planted
NFT mint/transfer emissions offset
Higher-level NFTrees are scaled versions of the above and represent larger environmental contributions.

An additional 5% will be added to cover business expenses.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think the current state of affairs was inevitable once fossil fuels were discovered

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

mediaphage posted:

Beer cans, and all cans, have a small layer epoxy (typically BPA) on the inside of the can to inhibit corrosion or loss of carbonation. There's a reason that cans don't rust from the inside anymore despite containing corrosive materials. Beer doesn't really need the epoxy layer to prevent corrosion, instead it needs it to prevent the loss of carbonation.

But yeah, that's where it comes from.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah everything is sprayed with a layer of plastic now its crazy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

coat my lungs in plastic

like saran wrap keeping out the covid

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'd joke about the superiority of glass beer bottles here but I wouldn't be surprised if some or all of those were also plastic-coated for little real reason

E: Like, in theory, glass is one of a very few materials competitive with/superior to plastic for generic food-grade storage purposes, why wouldn't we gently caress that up somehow

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'd joke about the superiority of glass beer bottles here but I wouldn't be surprised if some or all of those were also plastic-coated for little real reason

the caps already have plastic for the same reason cans do, unless you're fully fancied up getting those 750ml 83x mega brewed by belgian monastics kind of beers and they use non-synthetic corks and wire cages.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Nah, glass isn't coated with plastic, that'd be a waste of money. Cans really do need to be coated if you want them to last any reasonable amount of time. Tomatoes would rust through a can in a few days, same with most fruit. Some energy drinks can't even be canned because they eat through the coating anyway.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
theoretically wines and beers with cork corks should be relatively plastic free. Maybe the kind of bottles with clamps use vulcanized rubber tree latex instead of plastic? There's weird closures that are basically glass stoppers and stuff but that's old era poo poo and probably isn't used outside of lab glass or something like that.

I can only assume all booze that isn't home made at some point passes through plastic pipes or metal ones that are plastic/teflon sealed anyway

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

coat my lungs in plastic

like saran wrap keeping out the covid

Bubble Boy but the plastic is inside my body protecting me while slowly making me go insane

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

SniperWoreConverse posted:

theoretically wines and beers with cork corks should be relatively plastic free. Maybe the kind of bottles with clamps use vulcanized rubber tree latex instead of plastic? There's weird closures that are basically glass stoppers and stuff but that's old era poo poo and probably isn't used outside of lab glass or something like that.

I can only assume all booze that isn't home made at some point passes through plastic pipes or metal ones that are plastic/teflon sealed anyway

Most home brewers use plastic at some point in the process

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah i mean hypothetically you could avoid it. I brew and still use silicone tubes and seals. I don't have apple trees or bees or any source of sugars I can get on my own so I end up buying something that's inevitably packed or bottled in plastic.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The modern beer can is both a miracle of ingenuity and a total condemnation. That aluminum could be going to important alloys or something. The can itself has the mechanism used to open it. It's both impossible to reuse and easy to recycle. The amount of material is mathematically minimized and it's incredibly well designed knowing it will likely become garbage. A strange artifact of a strange culture.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The modern beer can is both a miracle of ingenuity and a total condemnation. That aluminum could be going to important alloys or something. The can itself has the mechanism used to open it. It's both impossible to reuse and easy to recycle. The amount of material is mathematically minimized and it's incredibly well designed knowing it will likely become garbage. A strange artifact of a strange culture.

do they make real important aluminum things out of the same class of aluminum or is, like, some aluminum better than others

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Cloks posted:

I'm reading the collapse of western civilization by naomi oreskes and erik m. conway after seeing it recommended in the thread [...] unfortunately, it's further crack pinged me.

unrelated, but i was about to get all the climate related books from my public library. make sure to use your library card.

wait until you read the sections on neoliberalism and market fundamentalism l o l

also free book copy for everyone here: https://gailepranckunaite.com/Naomi%20Oreskes-The-Collapse-of-%20Western-Civilization-2014.pdf

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mdemone posted:

do they make real important aluminum things out of the same class of aluminum or is, like, some aluminum better than others

Some is better than others. Not a metallurgy goon but you get a gently caress ton of slag off beer cans, but beer cans are a better stock than ore?

Aeronautical or structural aluminum beams are p strictly tested I think. Plus it's used in other alloys like aluminum copper bronze is better than other kinds of bronze for some things

e: my understanding is that with some stuff if you have like .02% of too much iron or carbon or whatever in the aluminum you just completely hosed an insanely expensive thing, which doesn't matter for cans, but all aluminum comes from the same rocks in the first place anyway.

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Sep 4, 2021

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

humans have been selfishly shaping the environment for their own needs and priorities since time immemorial, often at the expense of almost everything else. there's no doubt whatsoever that fossil fuels dialed that poo poo to infinity, but the modern era is hardly the only one where we disappeared entire forests and made species go extinct via hunting and habitat destruction, for example.

fixed

ideology doesn't make the world run, energy and other material resources do

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

ideology doesn't make the world run, energy and other material resources do

yeah population growth has been fueled (heh) by energy and we're now in overshoot

but

ideology still imposes a hierarchy on the world and the dominant ones allow people closer to the top benefit more from those energy and material resources

imho anyway

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

Libs love to tell themselves that if we stop making stupid plastic poo poo and stop driving personal vehicles everywhere that we'd all be living like starving undeveloped country folk so we can't possibly do anything useful to stop climate catastrophe.

"maybe don't drive everywhere"

I CANT BELIEVE YOU WANT TO END MODERN MEDICINE. gently caress YOU ECO FASCIST /ban

being anti car is abelist because people with disabilities require cars to get around, checkmate nothing better is possible unless you want to be a malthusian nazi, embrace the collapse of society happening soon b/c doing anything about it wokely is impossible

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah population growth has been fueled (heh) by energy and we're now in overshoot

but

ideology still imposes a hierarchy on the world and the dominant ones allow people closer to the top benefit more from those energy and material resources

imho anyway

sorry but by pointing all of this out, you are now a malthusian ecofascist who needs to be cancelled ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

gay_crimes posted:

being anti car is abelist because people with disabilities require cars to get around, checkmate nothing better is possible unless you want to be a malthusian nazi, embrace the collapse of society happening soon b/c doing anything about it wokely is impossible

being anticar is racist because minorities have been forced into ghettos far away from jobs, services, and food, with insufficient public transit, infrastructure, and political support. if you take their cars they will be stranded with no recourse. please do better, you nazi.