Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
On the same topic as DeathSandwich, I heard that Tricksters can redeem Nurah and recruit her, confirm/deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also something to keep in mind if someone wants to play a shapeshifter druid - in Kingmaker it was pretty normal to do a 1 or 2 level dip in Monk to gain AC to Wisdom and a handful of other features. In this game now that it's an option I would highly recommend instead to dip into Instinctual Warrior subclass of barbarian. They gain +wisdom to armor class, faster movement, and rage. It's probably going to be what I wind up doing for my second playthrough as Azata.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Ohhhhh poo poo. I just discovered that animal companions have full on equipment slots now. I just gave my mad dog merc's bear a necklace that heals him when he kills with natural attacks (i.e. all of them) and steel claws to up his damage.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
So, having fought my second crusade battle I’m happy to automate this side of the game. What realistically am I missing out on?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
this is probably in the thread but i don't have search.

some scripting issue (i'm guessing) is causing the game to just stop working when I emerge from the bottom floor of the garrison next to the wardstone.

Is there some fix to this? I've tried reloading etc.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

JamMasterJim posted:

Do the dragon quest

thanks!

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Some questions about Lich crusade mechanics:

Currently I have the "Necromancy" overmap modifier displaying twice. Which claims to raise the "value of of killed enemies/275." I have fought armies larger than 275 and haven't raised a single undead outside of infirmary recovery. Is this broken? ALSO: Even if this did work... Doesn't this still suck, especially when factoring in the penalties of: 50% fewer available troops and 100% increased expenses? I have no other ways to raise dead and half the option of other crusade paths.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bardeh posted:

I haven't unlocked it yet, but I'm not liking what I'm reading about the Crusade mode. Why do Owlcat insist on putting these systems into their games, who's asking for this stuff? Just stick with the classic CRPG game, that's all people want!

These non-standard CRPG systems are one of my favorite part of the Owlcat Pathfinder games. Without stuff like kingdom management and the crusade system, they're just generic CRPGs. Even if those systems aren't perfect, they are exactly what sets these games apart from other similar games and makes them more exciting to play than PoE or BG3 or whatever else. It's what makes these games feel more like role playing and less like just playing a videogame with a book inside, because they let you engage with the world and its politics and beings in a way that you can't within the scope of every other CRPG. Both games offer options to disable those mechanics entirely if you don't want to interact with them.

(I am admittedly someone who does not like CRPG stories/narratives and plays them explicitly for the roleplaying and mechanical aspects so take that as you will)

I'm confused by the hate for the Crusade system - it's Heroes of Might & Magic lite, the fights are super easy and take like 30-60 seconds each, they're optional, they break up the monotony of world map/zone map exploration and they provide a parallel progression route to be excited about. I wouldn't want to play a game that was just about the Crusade mechanics but as an added bit of interactivity in a grand 100+ hour campaign that would otherwise involve doing the same thing over and over, they're kinda great.

edit: vvv that's totally fair, I played with D&D3.5/pathfinder rules and character building so much growing up that they're just kind of ingrained in me and I'm chomping at the bit for additional systems to make them more complex, it's easy to forget that it's not second nature to most people :v:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 4, 2021

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
For me, it's that these games already have so much information to process with the insanely complicated class systems, skills and feats and spells to pick, loot to sort through, etc, that another big system on top of all that is just too much.

It's not like big CRPGs like this are a dime a dozen - I am quite happy with a 'generic CRPG'. But if you can automate the crusade stuff and not feel as if you're missing out on quests/content, then that's cool.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
how do you guys level camellia? im not sure if i dig her subclass

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Tabletops posted:

Interested in this too. I just keep leveling her as is and she's...fine? She does various and sundry things well enough, and frankly I need another warm body up front.

My most purely useful characters so far are probably Lann and Seelah. Lann is a ranged buzz saw, and S is a great 1v1 character thanks to smite evil.

I mean, now that I've hit 5 my mage is good too, but let's be real, she's just an ambulatory haste dispenser.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Drezen spoilers - I love that my character still acts surprised about Nurah's defection even though I found the perfume she used to lure the swarm and passed the perception check when she was burning down tents during the raid on the camp. Who could have seen this coming!!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Tabletops posted:

You can give her slumber. She's still a full level 9 caster on top of that, and she has some pretty good spells on her list, so there's no real reason not to keep shamaning away. I'm not a fan of her somewhat lower Wis, but I take what I can get.

Also playing on Core difficulty and man if this was tabletop I'd have some words for the DM. Jesus Christ, even with exploiting all the CC spells I'm still having to save scum because of poo poo like fireball demons (on my level 5 party) behind a secret door with a ton of backup.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
I picked up the Metamagic: Extend feat. I want to use it on Bulls Strength to extend the duration, but I'm not seeing any way to do that.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

DropTheAnvil posted:

I picked up the Metamagic: Extend feat. I want to use it on Bulls Strength to extend the duration, but I'm not seeing any way to do that.

Is there a little arrow above the spell with options?

I haven't messed with metamagic but that's how I convert spells to swift actions for War priest

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Little bit of an interface giveaway on a certain party member with hidden alignment:

When leveling Camellia up, if you try to multiclass her to something alignment-restricted, it'll tell you exactly what her alightment is.

I wonder if that's intended, or if it'll be patched later.

Anyway, game is getting really good. Lann almost single-handedly killed the final enemy of the tavern defense, archers are as wonderful as people say.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 5, 2021

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

DropTheAnvil posted:

Click the "metamagic" tab, then it will bring up a menu where you can slap feats on spells and raise their level.

FYI bolstering spell has a +1 level increase although the feat description doesn't mention it. Don't get scammed like I did!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Also playing on Core difficulty and man if this was tabletop I'd have some words for the DM. Jesus Christ, even with exploiting all the CC spells I'm still having to save scum because of poo poo like fireball demons (on my level 5 party) behind a secret door with a ton of backup.

Given what level your party is I think we just ran into the same fight? Kenabres Market Square, a house in the south-central edge of the map with the roof on fire?

There's an interactable just outside the house and if you pass the skill check it tells you there's a pyromaniac demon inside
- but I, too, only saw this after reloading. The first time I just walked in hoping it would be a mostly empty house I could rest in before taking on the other two demon packs in that corner of the map and well, reader, It Was Not.

But to do more than bitch - if you have Camellia or someone else with entangle, it actually stands a decent chance of disrupting the demon's fireballs (though not the breath weapon, alas) and the sickening variety also might weaken the meat shield demons that are along for the ride to help your front line hold the choke point (though as usual Glitterdust is better for messing up the enemy front line and whatever CC spells you use you probably want Dex tanks or good CMD because that big wrecker demon loooooves to sunder armour and whoever that lands on is going to have a bad day).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 5, 2021

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

Given what level your party is I think we just ran into the same fight? Kenabres Market Square, a house in the south-central edge of the map with the roof on fire?

There's an interactable just outside the house and if you pass the skill check it tells you there's a pyromaniac demon inside
- but I, too, only saw this after reloading. The first time I just walked in hoping it would be a mostly empty house I could rest in before taking on the other two demon packs in that corner of the map and well, reader, It Was Not.

I understand that it's almost certainly a Bad Choice, but being a flame dancer bard meant that place put a great big grin on my face.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DeathSandwich posted:

IMO if you're primarily rogue, give Piranha strike a pass since full rogues live and die by sneak attack and PS lowers your already middling base attack bonus. You're better off chasing dual wielding feats to get you more attacks, as well as Weapon Focus.

Power attack and Pirahna strike and the bow equivalent is better off in the hands of the classes that have full base attack bonus (barbarian, fighter, ranger, slayer, ect) since they have way better hit chances to begin with and revolve around hitting obnoxiously hard without necessarily needing sneak attack.

RE: Lann - IMO if you're wanting to add a bit of sneak attack bite, just do a one level rogue dip and then pick up accomplished sneak attacker. I wouldn't push for anything beyond that otherwise you start giving up on monk features.

The comedy option I've seen is that he's statted to go to level 4 as Zen Archer, and then dive down Hunter. Unlike 2d6 sneak attack - an animal companion is a WAY MORE CLUTCH pickup because they do good damage and present another warm body to throw around in combat, on top of all the ranger / druid spellcasting that Lann is actually really well statted for.

Appreciate the advice! Although in this case my MC is a Sword Saint Magus full DEX/INT with Rapiers.

Also are composite longbows, Longbows, or their own thing? It isn't really clear.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 5, 2021

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Click the "metamagic" tab, then it will bring up a menu where you can slap feats on spells and raise their level.

FYI bolstering spell has a +1 level increase although the feat description doesn't mention it. Don't get scammed like I did!

What is the metamagic tab? There is a little arrow by the spell, but when I select it only "Bond Ojbect" comes up. I also have lvl 3 spell slots available, so I don't think its because Im out of spell slots.

Edit: Found it, its in the spellbook, on the left hand side. Have to make a whole new spell!

DropTheAnvil fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 5, 2021

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Tabletops posted:

Keep her as Shaman (Spirit Hunter) with some splashes later on. Her AC starts ramping up once she hits Lv 4 for Iceplant and is a pretty good dex tank with rapier + buckler. Always buff your frontliners with Shield of Faith, Barkskin, and Reduce Person early on. Every bit of AC matters
https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/builds/Camellia

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also new thing with Animal Companions. I hit level 8 and my Raptor got iterative attacks with his primary Talons plus one (of two that he should get) claw attacks so I'm back up to the 5 I should have lol. Love when glitchy poo poo cancels itself out

This means endgame Raptors get seven attacks with pounce which means they are currently ~mechanically optimal~ damage pets.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 5, 2021

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Say I pick Close to the Abyss on Mythic Level 1, but then I pick Angel as my Path on level 3. Do I keep the demon summon ability from level 2, or does it change into the Angel summons?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Helion posted:

I understand that it's almost certainly a Bad Choice, but being a flame dancer bard meant that place put a great big grin on my face.

oh yeah, I'd gotten enough Resist Fire scrolls and a couple of items with it in loot so my entire frontline had decent fire res, my strategy basically boiled down to "rush Seelah/Camellia/my Sanctified Slayer forward so there's enough separation between them and Lann/Ember/Wojlif in the back that the fireballs won't hit both groups, win the scrum in the middle, profit"

Gotta say, I had intended to save Camellia for another playthrough with a more compatible PC for her (or at least one where their conflict would be narratively interesting) but there really aren't enough melee companions available early and she has been really handy mechanically. I suppose I could make a merc but it feels like a waste while I still have to discover which of the party NPCs I find too insufferable to ever use.

edit: on that front, I do get why this isn't a thing but I've just hit the tavern battle and man I would really love to have the NPCs I couldn't fit in my party participate in the defense, like a PoE2 ship battle.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 5, 2021

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Any advice on what to do with all the useless, near dead, units I have cluttering my map? What am I to do with two shield bearers, a type of unit I can't build and would be an outright impediment to any active army?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dorkopotamis posted:

Any advice on what to do with all the useless, near dead, units I have cluttering my map? What am I to do with two shield bearers, a type of unit I can't build and would be an outright impediment to any active army?

Use them to soak an attack and protect your real units

I prioritized hiring a general with the +unit capacity skill and picked it on level up twice. 6 slots lets you use a ton of stuff and makes those tiny units useful as ablative armor for your archers etc.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

DropTheAnvil posted:

What is the metamagic tab? There is a little arrow by the spell, but when I select it only "Bond Ojbect" comes up. I also have lvl 3 spell slots available, so I don't think its because Im out of spell slots.

hit b for spellbook, metamagic tab should be there

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Dallan Invictus posted:

But to do more than bitch - if you have Camellia or someone else with entangle, it actually stands a decent chance of disrupting the demon's fireballs (though not the breath weapon, alas) and the sickening variety also might weaken the meat shield demons that are along for the ride to help your front line hold the choke point (though as usual Glitterdust is better for messing up the enemy front line and whatever CC spells you use you probably want Dex tanks or good CMD because that big wrecker demon loooooves to sunder armour and whoever that lands on is going to have a bad day).

Nah, it's in the Grey Garrison, secret door dumps you on 2 fireball demons. Fortunately I was level 5 and Camillia could prep mass resist fire, . Haven't even found that one, I need to revisit the Market Square apparently.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gyoru posted:

Keep her as Shaman (Spirit Hunter) with some splashes later on. Her AC starts ramping up once she hits Lv 4 for Iceplant and is a pretty good dex tank with rapier + buckler. Always buff your frontliners with Shield of Faith, Barkskin, and Reduce Person early on. Every bit of AC matters
https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/builds/Camellia

The build guides don't really help without the specific details on how to play the characters. Wenduag is middling at best right now for me and someone posted that she's carrying them through act one with the exact same build so I have no idea how that's possible. Same with Regrill, he's not doing anything special either. The best party member has been Wojiff, who' hitting for like 90 damage a round when he gets going.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

lol

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I was having trouble with a particular optional encounter in the Market Square, because of all the level drain. And then I noticed: Camellia has Animate Dead on her spell list. It was a pretty quick and painless fight after that.

I'm still mad I didn't get the achievement for housing this fight. Where's my cheevo Owlcat :argh:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

The main companions I recall are generally regarded as weaker are Regill - mainly due to his (prestige)class being weak - and Sosiel for having some pretty terrible feat choices. In both cases their stats are fine (if weird for their role for Regill), so you can still certainly use them.
Hellknight is weak but he only has one level of it and his build goes into bloodrager primalist pretty well. It might also be bugged but his double weapon seems to be getting way more attacks than it should.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Oh my god I just hit the best bug. I just transitioned into chapter 2 and my character is stuck in the 'sitting down and drinking' animation. It persists through loading zones and everything. I just scoot around in a horse stance drinking constantly.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Finally encountered a fairly bad bug, probably stopping me from completing a location. The enemies in the basement of the Pitaxian wine cellar are completely invincible. No amount of restarting the game or flipping from rtwp/tb makes a difference. Seems to be a fairly common bug.

Edit - And nevermind, just reduced difficulty to Story and killed them nearly instantly in real time.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 5, 2021

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Terrible Opinions posted:

Hellknight is weak but he only has one level of it and his build goes into bloodrager primalist pretty well. It might also be bugged but his double weapon seems to be getting way more attacks than it should.

Also noticed he seems way better in combat than he does on paper and it's due to how many extra attacks he gets from... I don't know why?

But he's actually very good.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dorkopotamis posted:

Also noticed he seems way better in combat than he does on paper and it's due to how many extra attacks he gets from... I don't know why?

But he's actually very good.

His weapon is a Gnome Hooked Hammer, which is a single weapon that counts as two for dual wielding purposes. He has so many attacks because he's always dual wielding that double sided hook hammer.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Also something to keep in mind if someone wants to play a shapeshifter druid - in Kingmaker it was pretty normal to do a 1 or 2 level dip in Monk to gain AC to Wisdom and a handful of other features. In this game now that it's an option I would highly recommend instead to dip into Instinctual Warrior subclass of barbarian. They gain +wisdom to armor class, faster movement, and rage. It's probably going to be what I wind up doing for my second playthrough as Azata.

Monk gets you bonus feat stuff for immediate Crane Style access, though, plus evasion if you go monk 2.

With that said, the mythic feat that gives you infinite rage rounds makes small dips in barbarian way more viable (and bloodrager, if it applies to that, which I don't know).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

His weapon is a Gnome Hooked Hammer, which is a single weapon that counts as two for dual wielding purposes. He has so many attacks because he's always dual wielding that double sided hook hammer.
Yeah but he seems to be getting 6 or 8 attacks in place of the four he should be getting for me with improved two weapon fighting. I think double weapons are in some way bugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
PSA: Alt+B is the way to report bugs in game. I've personally submitted about ten, of which about 8 have definitely existed since beta. Most of them having to involve kineticist subclass issues or non-functioning class features, but also around the way Lich works in both the overmap and with its broken class features.

Second PSA: If you're looking for a polished experience and don't want to be constantly noticing weird bugs, don't play as a Lich.