Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1433471488485646340

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ah, but you see, when it's in a database, you don't know if it's true or just the manufacturer lying to you. But you can't put a lie on a blockchain!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
oh hi marc
https://twitter.com/cduhaime/status/1433926938507235342

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nope_its_lily/status/1433932301860175872

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I hope "it's out of gas" refers to ETH, not gasoline.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
bum coin

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

:mods:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ncweaver/status/1434249089776906244

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ivermectin is actually good for something though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alan Smithee posted:

stupid nft Flanders

ymgve posted:

feels like it's worth nothing at all!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
but ivermectin actually has valuable real world uses (for a completely different thing than the brainworms people use it for)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah the ivermectin of computer science would be like, neural networks. they have specific, real uses, and idiots are constantly trying to use them for wildly inappropriate things they don't work for

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

yeah the ivermectin of computer science would be like, neural networks. they have specific, real uses, and idiots are constantly trying to use them for wildly inappropriate things they don't work for

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

blockchain is the homeopathy of computer science because it’s useless bullshit that your cousin keeps bugging you to try

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gaukler posted:

blockchain is the homeopathy of computer science because it’s useless bullshit that your cousin keeps bugging you to try

also the more useless it becomes the more powerful it supposedly is

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
So it is like a man falling through the earth into parisian catacombs, actually?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gaukler posted:

also dumb loving grifters around the world are getting rich off it in their native way

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

this is funny on so many levels
https://twitter.com/zhusu/status/1433721054279528453?s=21
https://twitter.com/dkong7/status/1434038671083245572?s=21

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

are they certian it's their nft? the crypto punk's skin might be a8564b, not a8564c

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

no sir your hyperlink was geocities, ours was the angelfire

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
star tart hk

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

njsykora posted:

this is funny on so many levels

lol this is like a 15 mins walk from where I live; I'd wander over but I have carnitas in progress on a lazy sunday afternoon and those are infinitely more valuable than jpegs in a mall

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

lol this is like a 15 mins walk from where I live; I'd wander over but I have carnitas in progress on a lazy sunday afternoon and those are infinitely more valuable than jpegs in a mall

Nft your carnitas and you can have the best of both worlds

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
be careful though this museum might appropriate your carnitas

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

blugu64 posted:

"your" carnitas

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Generalizing Weighted Trees: A Bridge from Bitcoin to GHOST

quote:

Despite the tremendous interest in cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum today, many aspects of the underlying consensus protocols are poorly understood. Therefore, the search for protocols that improve either throughput or security (or both) continues. Bitcoin always selects the longest chain (i.e., the one with most work). Forks may occur when two miners extend the same block simultaneously, and the frequency of forks depends on how fast blocks are propagated in the network. In the GHOST protocol, used by Ethereum, all blocks involved in the fork contribute to the security. However, the greedy chain selection rule of GHOST does not consider the full information available in the block tree, which has led to some concerns about its security.

This paper introduces a new family of protocols, called Medium, which takes the structure of the whole block tree into account, by weighting blocks differently according to their depths. Bitcoin and GHOST result as special cases. This protocol leads to new insights about the security of Bitcoin and GHOST and paves the way for developing network- and application-specific protocols, in which the influence of forks on the chain-selection process can be controlled. It is shown that almost all protocols in this family achieve strictly greater throughput than Bitcoin (at the same security level) and resist attacks that can be mounted against GHOST.
Bitcoin really is the worst.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

are they certian it's their nft? the crypto punk's skin might be a8564b, not a8564c
#acab69

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

back the blue baby poo poo green

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Time to NFT this poo poo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Alan Smithee posted:

no sir your hyperlink was geocities, ours was the angelfire

renaming my images to .txt so i can hotlink them

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

blugu64 posted:

I didn’t give you permission to use my awesome carnitas

Armitag3 posted:

"your" carnitas

Our NFT comrade

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

i'd forgotten which scam bitconnect was so i went to wikipedia to check and found this

quote:

On October 28, 2017, Bitconnect held its first (and only) annual ceremony in Pattaya, Thailand.
bruce???

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I really hope pattaya is known for something besides what I know about it from reading bitcoin threads for years

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

i'd forgotten which scam bitconnect was so i went to wikipedia to check and found this

bruce???

how can you forget bit-con-nect??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61i2iDz7u04

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

qirex posted:

I really hope pattaya is known for something besides what I know about it from reading bitcoin threads for years

it's a beach town, something like 3/4 of its income comes from tourism and most of it isn't even sex tourism.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

qirex posted:

It's a great source of vitamins A and K.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
"Last year, three cryptocurrency enthusiasts bought a cruise ship. They named it the Satoshi, and dreamed of starting a floating libertarian utopia. It didn’t work out."

This article is comedy plutonium, and it is to be savoured sitting back with a large cool drink.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

divabot posted:

"Last year, three cryptocurrency enthusiasts bought a cruise ship. They named it the Satoshi, and dreamed of starting a floating libertarian utopia. It didn’t work out."

This article is comedy plutonium, and it is to be savoured sitting back with a large cool drink.

This is a level in Cruelty Squad, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

divabot posted:

my wife stumbled across this and about 30 seconds into reading said "do these people realise that you need to put boats into dry dock for maintenance?"

I said "lol no of course not, they're techbros, all problems can be solved by javascript and/or libertarian hand waving"