Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I imagine most of the album will be the tracks we've already heard? Exciting either way though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Will it be a good beach album though?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Will it be a good beach album though?

It'll be great for the gym

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

The Smile set is fantastic, really looking forward to that record. It's also had the effect of reminding me that Radiohead are a great band with a lot of really wonderful albums. Cool!!

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
I think I need to listen to this a few more times, but the original Thom remix might be better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2-VMZCzDH8

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/nigelgod/status/1426276010165669897?s=21

https://twitter.com/thomyorke/status/1426320176933482504?s=21

Oh.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can only assume he meant Salt-N-Pepa.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Thom’s got a weird sense of humor, and it’s neither good nor bad.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Hi yes I would like one Kid Amnesiac please.

https://twitter.com/radiohead/status/1435196228896182272

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
gimme

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

What does it mean :o

I vaguely remember reading about the recording sessions for both those albums, something about them recording way more than they ever released or used. Like Idioteque's main sample of a few seconds was taken from several hours of electronic stuff they were loving around with.

I wonder what they could throw together out of all that unused stuff

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Amnesiac is basically b-sides to the Kid A sessions, yeah. In that sense they're already companion works. I assume it'll just be OKNOTOK but with the two of them jammed together. Pretty cool though.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

What does it mean :o

I'm interpreting the #followmearound tag to mean we're getting studio material for that song, which is awesome. I'll be hoping for full band a la "Meeting People is Easy".

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

We already had so many extra songs with the special editions so seeing this announcement listing nine more is really exciting. I'm eager to see how they package this as well given the aforementioned b-sides previously released and the songs mentioned in the Tweet. Will it still be two separate albums that are both expanded upon or perhaps just one huge album/collection? They both flow so well already that it's difficult not to imagine there being enough bonus material to fill a third (maybe even fourth as well?) disc of accompanying tracks? Will be interesting if the track listing is rearranged.

Edit: Apparently a handful of tracks registered with ISRC were recently discovered and since deleted, so I'll put these in spoilers just in case:

Fog (Again Again Version) [2:25]

Follow Me Around [5:19]

The Morning Bell (In The Dark Version) [2:00]

Alt. Fast Track [1:32]

Untitled v1 [1:48]

If You Say The Word [4:22]

Untitled v2 [0:46]

Pulk/Pull (True Love Waits Version) [2:46] :stare: :stare: :stare:

How To Disappear into Strings [5:32] :swoon:

Like Spinning Plates ('Why Us?' Version) [5:04]

Untitled v3 [1:16]

Pyramid Strings [1:18]

Hedrigall posted:

I vaguely remember reading about the recording sessions for both those albums, something about them recording way more than they ever released or used. Like Idioteque's main sample of a few seconds was taken from several hours of electronic stuff they were loving around with.

I wonder what they could throw together out of all that unused stuff

This interests me as well. After the OKC minidisc leak I imagine there must be huge quantities of material from these sessions considering how much longer they were and how much experimentation was taking place. As unlikely as it is I think the pandemic will have been a good opportunity to pass files for unfinished tracks around between members of the band to work on and see what happens, although Thom & Jonny appear to have been preoccupied with The Smile.

I sometimes wonder about TKOL as well, and if there's a large amount of material from those sessions sitting around too. The album was so short despite taking so long to make and they were quick to release additional songs as standalone releases afterwards that were both similar in style and excellent to the point of it being unusual that they were cut from the album, so I can't help but wonder what kind of material was left unreleased from those sessions. They could already take what's released from that period and repackage it into a fuller album, but there must be some fascinating b-sides on a hard drive somewhere. Some songs (such as Thom's incredible piano rendition of Bloom) deserve a place among any bonus material as well.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 7, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Amnesiac b sides are some of my favorite Radiohead songs

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BigFactory posted:

hell yea

gimme that Kinetic, Fast-Track, Trans-Atlantic Drawl...

Also Worrywort is lowkey one of Radiohead's nicest and least miserable songs, it's great

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

hell yea

gimme that Kinetic, Fast-Track, Trans-Atlantic Drawl...

Also Worrywort is lowkey one of Radiohead's nicest and least miserable songs, it's great

Cuttooth :rock:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s up for pre-order now. https://kida-mnesia.com

Bit of a shame the fanciest version doesn’t include CD copies like all the previous Radiohead collector’s editions. Oh well.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BigFactory posted:

The Amazing Sounds of Orgy is legit a top 5 Radiohead track for me. Also original Fog is better than Fog (Again).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Finally. Feels like they've been building to this for years. I'm glad the weird session stuff is part of the package rather than an exclusive special edition thing like OKNOTOK.

First new track's out. I like.

https://youtu.be/Jj2nX2BDTYY

stev fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 7, 2021

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I love these albums a lot, amnesiac especially so, but I feel like this stuff is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Looking forward to The Smile though. Hope they don’t let thom and nigel overprocess it

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

HD DAD posted:

Also original Fog is better than Fog (Again).

Very true - curious to hear if the new version is totally different or what.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Got the colored vinyl and tried to order both books but the little one sold out while it was in my cart.

edit: Woop! It showed back up again and I got one, so I ended up paying twice for shipping but whatever.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 7, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Got the deluxe vinyl package to go w my KoL, OK Computer, and AMSP

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I love these albums a lot, amnesiac especially so, but I feel like this stuff is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Eh it's a re-issue with some extras - hardly unheard of with big name bands. It's not like they're claiming this is the equivalent of a new album or anything.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
No I know. But I don’t feel like a third version of morning bell is really necessary

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Got the colored vinyl. I adore my deluxe version of AMSP and I don't have Kid A or Amnesiac on vinyl yet, so it's a great chance to get them.

After this, I think the only albums I don't own records of are Pablo Honey and King of Limbs.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Framboise posted:

I don't have Kid A or Amnesiac on vinyl yet, so it's a great chance to get them.

I did the same thing. Definitely the most expensive way to get those on lp.

I don’t know what’s worse, that set or the $90 cassette package

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Got the deluxe vinyl package to go w my KoL, OK Computer, and AMSP

Same + In Rainbows

This was always gonna be the one absolutely, 100% essential one for me though. Kid A is still my favourite album of all time

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Is the new song from today like new new or has it been floating around live shows before?

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Disappointed the set doesn’t include all of the previously released b-sides included with the deluxe editions of those albums from a decade or so ago.

Still bought the “scarry” version and book.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

since it hasnt been linked yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj2nX2BDTYY

*edit* inline you fucks :arghfist:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Man, I really, really like that song. I wasn't sure for the first minute or so - it felt a bit bare-bones, a bit demo-ish - but then it just bloomed.

It also feels weirdly modern, somehow. I think it's because it has a bit of In Rainbows/AMSP vibes.

It's really quite nice

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 7, 2021

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Barry Foster posted:

This was always gonna be the one absolutely, 100% essential one for me though. Kid A is still my favourite album of all time

I'm always wavering between Kid A and a handful of other beloved albums as my personal Favorite of All Time but it's easily my favorite Radiohead album, I listened to it again today for the first time in a while due to the announcement and it really is just incredible from start to finish. So yeah add me to the list of pre-orders.

I'm digging the new song too. It really does kind of feel like a mix of Kid A/Amnesiac and In Rainbows and I'm extremely here for it :allears:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The guys posted this on their newish TikTok account in reference to the already-dwindling video views. Pretty funny, although they removed it from there for some reason, was upto a million views or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAdLE4_bOf0

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Thom isn’t a bad actor actually lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Amazing excerpt from an interview for Amnesiac:

Citizen Insane posted:

Q: "One of the songs on Amnesiac is a fresh version of 'Morning Bell', which first appeared on Kid A, why the repetition?"

Ed: "Because we literally forgot about it. We often record different versions of songs and the new one is the first time it has been strong enough to bear hearing again. Most of the other versions often get scrapped halfway through. We're saving them for our box set in 20 years when no-one's interested in us anymore."
Planet Sound Channel 4 (UK) Teletext, May 19th 2001

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Haha poor chieftan mews. I'm glad he's still kicking around although it sounds like not for much longer

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
randomly came across this, the most insane music review ever written

Amnesiac - Relax, It's Nothing Like Kid A
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2001/jun/01/shopping.artsfeatures1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Walrus posted:

randomly came across this, the most insane music review ever written

Amnesiac - Relax, It's Nothing Like Kid A
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2001/jun/01/shopping.artsfeatures1

This review says a lot more about Alex Petridis than it does about Amnesiac