Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Assuming a game's difficulty curve is not built around pushing players to buy DLC that skips grinding, I don't really mind DLC that lets you skip grinding. There was a time when I could happily pour multiple hundreds of hours into an RPG and just grind endlessly for things I wanted, but that time is long past and if I can spend $2-5 to skip a couple hours of grinding that is absolutely worth my time. It wasn't paid DLC but as a recent example I was very grateful for the Vesperia Enhanced bonus packs that let you skip the more odious bits of gald/synth materials/costume grinding. Again though, the game needs to be balanced in such a way that it's not expecting you to drop extra cash, which is a hard thing to trust in these days unfortunately.

Artes being tied to costume DLC sucks rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't really see a need to defend the lovely practice of offering up gameplay boosts for money, even if it's been standard for over a decade. It sounds like it's at the worst it's ever been in this game, since they're now charging extra for artes. I'm glad the game is reviewing well and all, but that is definitely not something I want to see from this series.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

FutureCop posted:

ACG review up at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYD8HeGmh0A. Seems to be generally positive about it: notable complaints from this review was that a) they couldn't get their controller to work in the PC version so they had to do mouse/keyboard instead, b) one of the characters was pretty annoying, c) no way to reduce the audio of battle cries/chatter and d) majority of sidequests are boring filler. Hasn't been mentioned in the reviews, but in watching I did see a few boring blocky hallway dungeons which is something I'm fearful of from Berseria and other recent previous entries, but they did seem to be the minority and even despite that still more varied and pretty looking in comparison. Also there is the issue of skits no longer being the 2d art and now being these comic style panels with 3d models posing: some people are positive on this, others not, probably falls down to personal preference (for me, its kinda ok, but the poses do look to be pretty lifeless in 3d, very stiff and puppet-y).
I've watched a lot of ACG reviews but this is the first that I've heard him describe a character as a sandpaper handjob he wanted to drown, daaaang.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I've watched a lot of ACG reviews but this is the first that I've heard him describe a character as a sandpaper handjob he wanted to drown, daaaang.
hm, that seems like a weird thing to say about a video game character

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

ive never played a tales game that was difficult enough to require grinding. at worst i has to drop the difficulty to easy for zestirias final boss because that stupid instakill gimmick along with the clunky battle system sucked.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Endorph posted:

hm, that seems like a weird thing to say about a video game character

Honestly that was Bienfu for me and I'll stand by those exact, specific words

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'll double down on them, in fact

Eat poo poo Bienfu, you chainsmoker

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bienfu owned, gently caress the haters y’all just jealous of his cool hat.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

TheKingofSprings posted:

Some of that DLC is real sus Endorph

Like artes being tied to costumes sucks a lot, I don't mind difficulty but it's easy to see how there's a financial incentive to make fights overly difficult when EXP boosts exist alongside

Yes this practice has ruined the AC and Middle Earth franchises where the difficulty is literally non-existent and is simply any enemies like 2 levels above you can 1 shot you and take 500 hits to take down. XP boosting DLC leads to the actual worst possible design decisions.

Even if they managed to mitigate that whole mess they are still charging money for cheat codes and should be dinged a couple points.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't imagine feeling that strongly about any of the cast. They are all basically inoffensive generic archetypes

Like I guess Shionne is aggressively tsundere?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Raxivace posted:

Bienfu owned, gently caress the haters y’all just jealous of his cool hat.
Bienfu was basically the most generic version of the mascot character so your feelings basically rely on how you view that archetype

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Exp/Gald boosters are whatever but keeping SP normally scarce and costume-specific Artes… eh, don’t like that

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

are we taking bets on how many of those bonuses are just from the ng+ grade shop like every other tales game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I can't imagine feeling that strongly about any of the cast. They are all basically inoffensive generic archetypes

Like I guess Shionne is aggressively tsundere?

i checked the youtube comments and that reviewer also seems to hate rita from vesperia so they just might have no taste

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My greatest hope for Arise is there is no voice acting as bad as Kamoana

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I'm not surprised there's an obnoxious character in a Tales game. The franchise that in it's last entry had Magilou and Kamoana.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Magilou is actually great though

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
what are you smoking? Magilou was great!

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Imagine hating on Magilou

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I'm not surprised there's an obnoxious character in a Tales game. The franchise that in it's last entry had Magilou

Troll begone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kamoana is also a totally fine character, her dub va just sucked

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The humor fell flat for me so all her scenes were torture.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

are we taking bets on how many of those bonuses are just from the ng+ grade shop like every other tales game

I’m gonna guess all of them except the explicit level boosters are in the Grade Shop

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ugh, I really do not care for the new skit look at all. Maybe it'll grow on me over the course of a full game but from what little I've seen it has all the awkward jank of talking anime heads but with none of the charm.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Endorph posted:

i checked the youtube comments and that reviewer also seems to hate rita from vesperia so they just might have no taste

rita was awesome and blahblahblah TIDAL WAVE was the most broken poo poo in a tales game i can remember

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OneDeadman posted:

I’m gonna guess all of them except the explicit level boosters are in the Grade Shop

Sort of.

They are mostly just grade 1 artifacts. You get the same and better boosts during the game via sidequests. However they are separate from those boosts

I don't believe there is any grade shop. Instead all artifacts can be carried over and some are NG+ only like "carry over equipment"

ASenileAnimal posted:

rita was awesome and blahblahblah TIDAL WAVE was the most broken poo poo in a tales game i can remember

Guess what Rinwell can do right down to the blahblahblah.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 8, 2021

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

multijoe posted:

I don't know why you would ever want to mute the combat barks in an anime style JRPG, getting all the BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE lines played a thousand times until they're burned into your mind is part of the ride

"Oh snap, a giant hammer: Miracle Hammer!" is burned into my mind from Anise since that's the character that my SO always played.

I have no idea if that's what she actually says, but that's what I always heard I can literally hear it playing in my mind as I type this reply.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I don't believe there is any grade shop.
wow what is this blasphemy

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Artes tied to DLC costumes is extremely suspect and I now don't want to get the DLC so as to not send the wrong message. Normally Tales is the only game I ever spend money on cosmetic stuff like costumes but now.....ehhhhhhhh.

Unless you can get the artes some other way in-game

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 8, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

Artes tied to DLC costumes is extremely suspect and I now don't want to get the DLC so as to not send the wrong message. Normally Tales is the only game I ever spend money on cosmetic stuff like costumes but now.....ehhhhhhhh.

Unless you can get the artes some other way in-game

I don't believe so. You get them from titles the DLC costumes give

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

I don't believe so. You get them from titles the DLC costumes give

Are the titles themselves only available through said DLC costumes, in that case?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes this practice has ruined the AC and Middle Earth franchises where the difficulty is literally non-existent and is simply any enemies like 2 levels above you can 1 shot you and take 500 hits to take down. XP boosting DLC leads to the actual worst possible design decisions.

Even if they managed to mitigate that whole mess they are still charging money for cheat codes and should be dinged a couple points.

That's not true at all, in AC it's the opposite and it's virtually impossible for the game to put up any kind of resistance after the first hour or two.
In Shadow of War it was only true for the post game stuff then they patched it out when people complained.

I can't think of any game with XP boosters that attempts to force you to buy them by making everything too hard, which the possible exception of some gatcha mobile games.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

That's not true at all, in AC it's the opposite and it's virtually impossible for the game to put up any kind of resistance after the first hour or two.
In Shadow of War it was only true for the post game stuff then they patched it out when people complained.

I can't think of any game with XP boosters that attempts to force you to buy them by making everything too hard, which the possible exception of some gatcha mobile games.

Thats not true at all, in AC Odyssey it's not possible to mainline the MQ, you have to do plenty of side quests to keep up with the lvl reqs of the gated MQ's

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah so you can forget about freely exploring too because even the average mook (that in any other AC game you could just stealth kill) in an area a couple levels above you is an impossible juggernaut.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not do the side quests? :confused:

Or you can turn the difficulty down and turn on and adjust the level scaling so that everything is the same level as you.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Not do the side quests? :confused:

Or you can turn the difficulty down and turn on and adjust the level scaling so that everything is the same level as you.

Okay but what if you just want to have a simple well crafted experience without having to retune everything to account for the ways the dev is trying to twist your arm into buying DLC

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Then do some side quests

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

multijoe posted:

Okay but what if you just want to have a simple well crafted experience without having to retune everything to account for the ways the dev is trying to twist your arm into buying DLC

Then you stop playing Ubisoft games.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Bland posted:

Then you stop playing Ubisoft games.

Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Yeah so you can forget about freely exploring too because even the average mook (that in any other AC game you could just stealth kill) in an area a couple levels above you is an impossible juggernaut.

This wasn't my experience in Odyssey. I could punch way above my weight class by just animation locking individual enemies forever with abilities. I was regularly killing level 80+ mercs when I saw them while I was in the 50-60 range.