Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I somehow have never known life without knowing that twist. My dad told me Arnie was the good guy when I first watched it when I was like 5 or 6, and I just assumed it was a thing people knew. I then managed to see the twist in reverse when I first watched T1 a few years later, expecting the T-101 to be the good guy and omg he's trying to kill Sarah now?!

Thats exactly how it happened for me. I saw T2 as a kid in theaters and just assumed Arnold had always been the main protagonist of the series. It tripped me out when I watched Terminator 1 as a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jedit posted:

Minor quibble here: you see the T-1000 punch a guy in the stomach. You never see the blade hand, you never see the body and the next time you see it it's wearing the guy's clothes.

Despite the way it's put together it's definitely meant to be a misdirection.

It's definitely designed to remind you of the way Kyle Reese arrived in the first movie. Except in that one he steals the pants off a hobo and his interaction with the immediate arrival of the cops is to run.

Arnold taking the biker's clothes and keys and beating them up is also just an over the top version of "Give me your clothes" from the first movie.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Sep 8, 2021

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Like a lot of others I didn't see T1 until long after I had already seen T2. I remember being surprised that in T1 Arnold isn't wearing his classic leather gear that I knew him for and instead is just wearing a lovely sweatshirt for most of the film.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sometimes a spoiler is like when someone botches the punchline to a joke. You might be able to learn to appreciate the joke after the fact, but you'll never be able to have that gut reaction of really "getting" it. And your long-term appreciation will probably be different than it would've been if you had a good memory of hearing it the first time.

Obviously it kinda has to be a good joke in the first place for it to matter, though.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Jedit posted:

It's possible that the UK got a different edit. It was definitely there on my first release DVD the last time I watched it, because I watched it with friends and had to ask them to leave the room while I FFed to the right place. Unfortunately I can't confirm this for you now, as I donated the disc to charity a couple of years ago.

I don't have the VHS, but I've the first UK DVD release, and the intro doesn't have the "Outside" reveal on it.

I've watched the Directors Cut more in the last few years, so that voice-over is really jarring.

BooDooBoo has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Sep 8, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BooDooBoo posted:

I don't have the VHS, but I've the first DVD release, and the intro doesn't have the "outside" reveal on it.

I've watched the Directors Cut more in the last few years, so that voice-over is really jarring.

wow now I got spoiled on a movie i've been meaning to watch, drat irony

Arivia has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Sep 8, 2021

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Arivia posted:

wow now I got spoiled on a movie i've been meaning to watch, drat irony

Well, looks like SOMEONE got in in before I edited it.

Sneaky sneaky!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BooDooBoo posted:

Well, looks like SOMEONE got in in before I edited it.

Sneaky sneaky!

fixed to save someone else from the HORRIBLE AGONY

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Arivia posted:

fixed to save someone else from the HORRIBLE AGONY

Now no-one will know that the "Dark City" is actually just an AOL disk, and all is right with the world.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I somehow have never known life without knowing that twist. My dad told me Arnie was the good guy when I first watched it when I was like 5 or 6, and I just assumed it was a thing people knew.
It was openly discussed in numerous media articles well ahead of T2's release as well. Social media certainly wasn't as ubiquitous then as it is now, but I was still a little surprised that the couple I mentioned had missed the relative media blitz about Arnie being the good guy this time.

I mean, not as surprised as I was at the couple sitting behind me at a showing of the Phantom Menace who had missed the preceding 18 months of media frenzy so I had to quickly whisper an explanation to them that Anakin was Luke's father and not his son. Got a great "Whoa, they can do that?" stoner reaction to the concept of the prequel.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Peyote Panda posted:

It was openly discussed in numerous media articles well ahead of T2's release as well. Social media certainly wasn't as ubiquitous then as it is now, but I was still a little surprised that the couple I mentioned had missed the relative media blitz about Arnie being the good guy this time.

I mean, not as surprised as I was at the couple sitting behind me at a showing of the Phantom Menace who had missed the preceding 18 months of media frenzy so I had to quickly whisper an explanation to them that Anakin was Luke's father and not his son. Got a great "Whoa, they can do that?" stoner reaction to the concept of the prequel.

You'd be surprised at just how many people do not own a TV, or at the very least own a small one that they don't really watch a lot, there are also the people who don't have cable, so they can only watch movies on their TV. I suspect it's a much rarer breed than it was a decade+ ago when I was encountering these people, but I'm positive they still exist.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

You'd be surprised at just how many people do not own a TV, or at the very least own a small one that they don't really watch a lot, there are also the people who don't have cable, so they can only watch movies on their TV. I suspect it's a much rarer breed than it was a decade+ ago when I was encountering these people, but I'm positive they still exist.
Yeah, and with T2 it was even further back when the media hype was just newspaper/magazine articles or segments on Entertainment Tonight. It's the good occasional reminder that not everyone follows that stuff, just like the modern reminders that not everyone is terminally on-line.

For several years I didn't have cable and even my broadcast TV reception was poo poo, so the only things I watched at home was what ever I bought or rented on DEE VEE DEE! That always left me hilariously behind the pop-culture curve. It's still a little amazing to me how much is easily available via streaming these days.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
What’s also funny is that in some cases the fact that people are flipping out about spoilers is evidence that they haven’t actually had the major plot beats spoiled yet. I recently directed a production of The Cherry Orchard, which is a play about an old lady with a cherry orchard who is in a lot of debt. Someone got mad at me for mentioning the orchard gets sold, as if that was really the lynchpin of the drama and not the fact that it’s a close friend and confidante who buys it. But to defend myself I would have had to mention it so I just had to let it go… as if that person was really ever going to go see the play anyway

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Was watching Simpsons and s8 e12 came on, the one where Marge finds a Chanel suit and joins the country club. On the way to the Ogdenville outlet store, there's a callback to Ogdenville appearing near Califormia on Lyle Lanley's map which also serves as a "Springfield isn't in any discernable place" gag: a sign that says "Paved Road ends 64 miles", then "Former Japanese Internment Camp 90 miles", then "Ogdenville 277 miles".

The inclusion of Internment Camp feels so weird to me now. I get that they might have included it as a kind of dark joke about American history, and it serves the purpose of the callback and gag, but it's like the bros in a Euro trip movie driving by a big "Auschwitz-Birkenau 10 km" sign with no comment.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Xibanya posted:

What’s also funny is that in some cases the fact that people are flipping out about spoilers is evidence that they haven’t actually had the major plot beats spoiled yet. I recently directed a production of The Cherry Orchard, which is a play about an old lady with a cherry orchard who is in a lot of debt. Someone got mad at me for mentioning the orchard gets sold, as if that was really the lynchpin of the drama and not the fact that it’s a close friend and confidante who buys it. But to defend myself I would have had to mention it so I just had to let it go… as if that person was really ever going to go see the play anyway

a buddy that I run a podcast with (quick summary is we take turns introducing each other to movies, tv, music, that they haven't experienced yet and then we gab for 40 minutes) have run into this because the nature of our conversations is heavy spoiler territory. The general idea is that we write up our introduction to the thing we are discussing but try to do it in as broad strokes as possible to, hopefully, not spoil anyone listening that also hasn't seen the thing we're talking about and then have a clear break where we will be going into spoiler territory. I was the one that needed the most practice at it because my write ups still tended to give away too many details similar to your example.

When you're so well-versed in a work, it is tricky to talk about it with others in the dark because, sometimes, even just talking about how many characters are in the main ensemble could frustrate people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

The inclusion of Internment Camp feels so weird to me now. I get that they might have included it as a kind of dark joke about American history, and it serves the purpose of the callback and gag, but it's like the bros in a Euro trip movie driving by a big "Auschwitz-Birkenau 10 km" sign with no comment.

Eurotrip had some things in it that didn't age well 20 years before the movie was made, and even it didn't go there.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Muscle Tracer posted:

I watched True Lies and Jingle All The Way recently, and I'm genuinely curious what kind of movie they thought they were making, and for who. True Lies in particular makes a lot more sense if you read the protagonist as a deranged villain telling their own unreliable narrator story, like Joker or something. I'd be interested in a remake from Jamie Lee Curtis's character's perspective, adding in a third act of how she finally escapes this abusive monster of a husband.

If you think about True Lies at all while you're watching it, it's a crappy movie. Man neglects his wife, she gets unhappy, he entraps her. The villains are comically ineffectual to that point that it didn't seem like a fair fight. Our hero solves it all with overkill via a jet fighter in the end. Wife is happy now she knows her husband is a professional killer, because it's more interesting? Family stays together. It's the story of a man who is awesome badass, but other people don't know that, but belatedly come to agree.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Conversely, if you don't think at all while watching True Lies, it kicks rear end. Generally, this is the way you should watch action movies.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

True Lies sucked and the stunt coordinator molested the child actress playing the daughter nobody even remembers being in the movie.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

"This man is sexually victimising his wife!"

"LOL turn ur brain off."

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

I've been thinking of rewatching Archer but I really don't know how well it will hold up today. Anyone watched the earlier seasons recently?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You should turn your brain off when watching jingle all the way or you will ask questions about Sinbad no one can answer

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

rodbeard posted:

True Lies sucked and the stunt coordinator molested the child actress playing the daughter nobody even remembers being in the movie.

Well, poo poo

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

rodbeard posted:

You say that like it's a waste of molestation

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I've been thinking of rewatching Archer but I really don't know how well it will hold up today. Anyone watched the earlier seasons recently?

Yes. It's one of those situations where the characters are awful but the show is trying not to be too lovely.

I've mostly been annoyed at how overwritten the script is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, archer has some quality dips but it’s not like it aged badly, what doesn’t work now didn’t work then.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I loved frisky dingo, but didn't really like Archer. Archer was definitely going for broader appeal, and did that by just heaping on more dick jokes

Frisky Dingo definitely has some stuff that doesn't age super great, but for the time it was pretty standard

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
On spoilers and the Terminator films, my wife had zero knowledge of the Terminator films. Like even the basics of Arnie being a robot, who are the good or bad guys, why they are travelling back in time or why Sarah Connor is important, etc. Nothing, not even incidental awareness from all the parodying of the movies from the 90s.

It has been amazing seeing her react to all the reveals for the first time.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

The writing and comedy of the early seasons hold up well for the most part, but the animation of season 1 and to a lesser extent season 2 can be hard to watch at times compared to season 3 onward and particularly how fluid and well done it has been since like season 6.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Was watching Simpsons and s8 e12 came on, the one where Marge finds a Chanel suit and joins the country club. On the way to the Ogdenville outlet store, there's a callback to Ogdenville appearing near Califormia on Lyle Lanley's map which also serves as a "Springfield isn't in any discernable place" gag: a sign that says "Paved Road ends 64 miles", then "Former Japanese Internment Camp 90 miles", then "Ogdenville 277 miles".

I think it might have been more of a raising awareness thing. It was just 15 years earlier that the government finally admitted that maybe it was a bad thing to do and the shows target demo certainly wasn't learning about it in school.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
S1-4 are still great, with 2 being the strongest IMO. It got hit with a mix of writer burnout and already being callback-heavy just started to drag it down and mixing up the gimmick didn’t really help. The season they did last year was good though and I really have to get started on the one running now.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

S1-4 are still great, with 2 being the strongest IMO. It got hit with a mix of writer burnout and already being callback-heavy just started to drag it down and mixing up the gimmick didn’t really help. The season they did last year was good though and I really have to get started on the one running now.
Thought you were talking about the Simpsons and squinted real hard for a second

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Martman posted:

Thought you were talking about the Simpsons and squinted real hard for a second

Oh, nope, archer. Just didn’t quote a post and someone snuck in there while I was typing.

2-9 is The Good Simpsons.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

My issue with Archer was that I always felt like they relied too much on almost every conversation becoming a screaming match. I guess I agree that it didn't really age poorly.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

The United States posted:

Given how much Cumberbatch looks like Khan's second in command, it's likely that he was absolutely meant to be Joachim originally, saving Khan for a future movie. But at some point this changed and they kept lying about it.

They'd gotten Benicio Del Toro* but he backed out and Benedict Cumberbatch was a last-minute replacement, so it was always Khan. Which makes it doubly frustrating because they could've just made him Joachim, that actually would've been pretty neat (and the character's intense devotion to the others would ring truer, especially since one of them would be his leader).

Really, Star Trek Into Darkness should've sparked a conversation about spoiler culture excess, because here was a studio blatantly abusing it to quash discussion about a controversial (for multiple reasons) aspect of their movie ahead of release, and they pretty much got away with it, too.

*Something funny I've noticed is that Cumberbatch almost seems to have modeled his performance on Del Toro from the 2003 movie The Hunted.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
"a conversation about spoiler culture excess" -- what exactly do you think this means and who exactly do you think the conversation would be between

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Xibanya posted:

Or occasionally you'll see the opposite, where someone will get mad at a spoiler that literally does not have enough context to be a spoiler, because they're being overly protective of people who might hear it but know that happens later.

Most often I see it with character names in long-haul games. Especially Final Fantasy XIV, which has emphasis on the LONG. 'Oh, I like Emet-Selch' 'yo, spoiler tag that' ...no, the name alone tells nobody anything, you just want to gatekeep.

Meanwhile the game itself decides that the statute of limitation on spoilers is 'about a month', so it's kinda hilarious when people get protective about them when the game itself so clearly doesn't give a drat.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Sep 9, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aces High posted:

When you're so well-versed in a work, it is tricky to talk about it with others in the dark because, sometimes, even just talking about how many characters are in the main ensemble could frustrate people.
Who gives a gently caress? Why let the people who consider inconsequential details "spoilers" quash all discussion of media for everyone forever? gently caress 'em.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
okay, seriously, holy poo poo why is everyone in here seriously acting like 'not wanting to be spoilered' is some Gay Agenda style conspiracy theory. nobody's trying to kill the concept of discussing media at all lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Archer has largely avoided aging poorly because the show was always well aware that the characters were all horrible people and it always treated them as such. There's not a lot of "How did they think that was acceptable?" stuff because it obviously wasn't acceptable and you weren't meant to think that it was.