Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Anyone read the Powdermage Trilogy? Had it recommended to me and I’ll need something new after Abercrombie’s next book comes out on the 14th.

I usually recommend it to Brandon Sanderson fans because the author is a protege of the Sand man, but they're pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

pradmer posted:

Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City (Siege #1) by KJ Parker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078W5M7DB/

This one is also 99p on the UK store https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L3291CF?ref_=dbs_m_mng_rwt_calw_tkin_0&storeType=ebooks

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

wizzardstaff posted:

I don't remember where I came across it, maybe this thread even, but their story Lena is one of the most dry, clinical, terrifying things I've ever read.

It's genuinely incredible.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Anyone read the Powdermage Trilogy? Had it recommended to me and I’ll need something new after Abercrombie’s next book comes out on the 14th.

It’s very Abercrombie lite, much more like Sanderson. If you like Abercrombie can I interest you in KJ Parker’s Engineer trilogy?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Just read Gypsies, one of Robert Charles Wilson's earlier novels, and it was fine or whatever but jeez... if the premise of your story is that a bunch of people discover they can travel at will between alternate universes, I would've like to see more than one or two alternate universes!

So in that vein, what is some good fiction about travelling throughout the multiverse? By which I mean not just portal fantasy where they visit a single world, but one where the premise involves the characters travelling across quite a lot of different worlds. (i.e. Chronicles of Narnia is technically a multiverse and from memory they even visit a third world in one book, but 99% of it is about our world and Narnia, so it's portal fantasy not multiverse fantasy in my book.)

Stuff like:

- His Dark Materials
- Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
- The TV show Sliders

etc

wizzardstaff posted:

I don't remember where I came across it, maybe this thread even, but their story Lena is one of the most dry, clinical, terrifying things I've ever read.

Yep I posted that a while ago - loved it a lot, although I tried reading some of their antimemetics SCP stuff and didn't care for it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Infinitive of Go, by John Brunner.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

freebooter posted:

Just read Gypsies, one of Robert Charles Wilson's earlier novels, and it was fine or whatever but jeez... if the premise of your story is that a bunch of people discover they can travel at will between alternate universes, I would've like to see more than one or two alternate universes!

So in that vein, what is some good fiction about travelling throughout the multiverse? By which I mean not just portal fantasy where they visit a single world, but one where the premise involves the characters travelling across quite a lot of different worlds. (i.e. Chronicles of Narnia is technically a multiverse and from memory they even visit a third world in one book, but 99% of it is about our world and Narnia, so it's portal fantasy not multiverse fantasy in my book.)

The Long Earth series by Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett. The premise is that someone invents a device that can be built from basic household items that lets anyone hop to alternative universes one by one. The first book is about someone setting out to see just how many universes are out there.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

freebooter posted:

Stuff like:

- His Dark Materials
- The TV show Sliders

The Space Between Worlds!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lives of Christopher Chant and Homeward Bounders, for some classic Diana Wynne Jones.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Piranesi is $1.99 today:
https://www.amazon.com/Piranesi-Spe...=piranes&sr=8-1

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

freebooter posted:

Stuff like:

- His Dark Materials
- The TV show Sliders

etc

The Wayward Children series by Seanan McGuire is portal fantasy with a ton of worlds that range from a literal Candyland to a rules-heavy Goblin Market to a classic Universal Classic Monsters Dracula/Frankenstein/Cthulhu world (and more!).

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
The Chronicles of Amber are not this thread's favorite Zelazney books but they are legitimately books involving a fair amount of multiverse travel.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

freebooter posted:

Stuff like:

- His Dark Materials
- The TV show Sliders

etc

Yep I posted that a while ago - loved it a lot, although I tried reading some of their antimemetics SCP stuff and didn't care for it.

Cowboy angels Paul J McAuley

John Barnes Patton's Spaceship

Amber

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014
I went in completely blind on Dune after seeing 1 trailer for the new movie. I haven't read something that has kept me this engage and interesting in probably 10 years. I highly recommend checking it out, I'm almost 80% through the first book and already ordered the new two.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Dune rules but every book after declines in quality, feel no guilt about hitting a point when you check out of the series for good but enjoy as much as you can. I've lost count of how many there are now that the son is pumping them out and I think one is coming out this month too

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Captain Melo posted:

I highly recommend checking it out, I'm almost 80% through the first book and already ordered the new two.

right up there with fighting a land war in asia...

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I feel like if you enjoy the first Dune you basically need to read Dune Messiah since it deals with a lot of the direct consequences of the events of Dune. After that, uhh... yeah what Tars Tarkas said definitely applies, stop when you stop enjoying them because they don't really get better, per se. I think the first three are solid, God Emperor is a weird loving trip that I only kind of enjoyed, couldn't finish whichever one is after that.

The Brian Herbert/KJA ones are loving dire cash-grabs, though. I wouldn't bother with those even if you enjoy all of Frank's books. Really, especially if you enjoy the originals, since they tend to just poo poo on or overuse whatever made the first run of books enjoyable.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

The Brian Herbert/KJA ones are loving dire cash-grabs, though. I wouldn't bother with those even if you enjoy all of Frank's books. Really, especially if you enjoy the originals, since they tend to just poo poo on or overuse whatever made the first run of books enjoyable.

Yup. I enjoyed all 6 dune books but the ones by his son are truly, impressively terrible

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Tars Tarkas posted:

Dune rules but every book after declines in quality, feel no guilt about hitting a point when you check out of the series for good but enjoy as much as you can. I've lost count of how many there are now that the son is pumping them out and I think one is coming out this month too

Not, I think, quite so much a decline in quality, but rather a sideways slide into weirdness. Similar end result though; when you stop enjoying it, stop reading.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
yeah the thing about dune is you're never going to enjoy it past when it stops being entertaining for you, whether you chalk that up to quality or tone shifts or anything, it will never go back to how it was when you were enjoying it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I'm very fond of the Dune Encyclopedia too, if you can find a copy. It's basically an expansion of all the historical quotes in the novels in glorious loony proto-official-fanfic form and it's stupidly good fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I idly looked up Sean Russell today and to my joy discovered:

Moontide and Magic Rise as a duology on kindle for 7$
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074LTLP23/

The prequel duology on kindle for 12$:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078VWTMPX/

And the Initiate Brother duology ALSO on kindle for 12$:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CLFCOZQ/

It's been a long time since I read World Without End (Moontide #1) and a reread might be in order, but man, Initiate Brother looks interesting. Eastern flavored court intrigue...

e: Aha, and his high fantasy trilogy is also on kindle: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074CG7BS3

First book is a dollar, the rest rise in price.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Sanctuary Dune

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
“Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'"

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Tars Tarkas posted:

Am I good to stop after God Emperor of Dune?

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Susan Clarke's Piranesi has won this year's Women's Prize for Fiction.

Which is good, because it's excellent and comfortably the most fresh and enjoyable thing I read last year. I really need to get around to invested the time in Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Major Ryan posted:

Which is good, because it's excellent and comfortably the most fresh and enjoyable thing I read last year. I really need to get around to invested the time in Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell...

It's worth it if you don't mind a slow pace. I loved that book.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Armauk posted:

Yeah. The quality drop after that one is very steep, in my opinion.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

branedotorg posted:

Cowboy angels Paul J McAuley

John Barnes Patton's Spaceship

Amber

Stross’s The Merchant Princes series is good, especially if you want to be persuaded we don’t live in the darkest imaginable timeline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Merchant_Princes

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

radmonger posted:

Stross’s The Merchant Princes series is good, especially if you want to be persuaded we don’t live in the darkest imaginable timeline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Merchant_Princes

i was going to recommend that too but it's really only two alternate worlds right? It's awhile since i read them.

Has anyone read the recent follow up series? i read up to where Washington gets nuked, i've bought the new ones but they never seem to get to the top of my pile.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Armauk posted:

you can consider that the end of the main body of the books. the next two jump forward in time a good bit, there's a bunch of extremely weird (and funny, to me) horny poo poo, and ol' Frank dropped dead before finishing the last book, so you'll never really know how it ends. the son's books don't count.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

branedotorg posted:

i was going to recommend that too but it's really only two alternate worlds right? It's awhile since i read them.

Has anyone read the recent follow up series? i read up to where Washington gets nuked, i've bought the new ones but they never seem to get to the top of my pile.

I’m interested in opinions the new series too - it’s been long enough I’d need to reread the older series but it’s Stross so I always find it an enjoyable read.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Heretics of Dune was a chore to work through for me and I never finished much of Chapterhouse Dune. That was 20+ years ago but I don't think my opinion would change much. My friend who is Dune obsessed liked all six but hate read the books by the son until they got to bad even he couldn't stand to read them. I picked up the parody book Doon from a used shop years ago but haven't tried to read it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

branedotorg posted:

No, it has an infinity of worlds. Erasmus comes from a third Earth, which Miriam visits for a while. Remember, there was a long lost secret branch of the Family that was hell bent on revenge because they believed they had been abandoned by the rest of the Family, but in actuality the founder of this branch had lost his knotwork, redrawn it from incorrectly from memory, and accidentally ended up in a different universe.

Also, one of the skunkworks projects by the younger generation (in addition to the fertility clinics substituting Family sperm for the regular donors and the genetic research laboratories) was coming up with viable variations of the knotworks and exploring random parallel universes, this is what led to the Earth with the stealth dome that had been pierced by a gamma ray laser from orbit that contained the wormhole to an asteroid field where an Earth used to be.

The followup series is more interesting that the original, it is 20 years later, the obstinate Family leadership is all dead, the surviving Family traveled as refugees to Erasmus's world where Erasmus's revolutionaries have successfully established an American Communist Republic based on the Iranian constitution (because of Iran's demonstrated ability to survive against US hostilities), they're at war with the fascist French monarchy, and meanwhile the United Statues of America has declared world walkers non-humans without any rights, set up facial recognition and gait analysis cameras everywhere, cloned world walker neural tissue and started importing oil from parallel Earths and investigating the dome planet, and have also tracked down Miriam's daughter that she put up for adoption, recruited her into US intelligence as an asset against her mother, and activated her recessive world-walking genes.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
If you want to really trip on Frank Herbert juice, try reading the Eyes of Heisenberg right after Dune. It's like proto-Dune, without any cool setting details. Nearly every concept appears in some form, most obviously the life extension stuff and the battle sign language. It's like Dune bingo.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 9, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

For some reason I skipped the two immediate Dune sequels because what goes down with Paul sounded depressing and went for the really weird final books. Odd stuff. I’ll probably actually read Dune Messiah after the film comes out.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Major Ryan posted:

I started and finished this book today. It's good.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

The followup series is more interesting that the original, it is 20 years later, the obstinate Family leadership is all dead, the surviving Family traveled as refugees to Erasmus's world where Erasmus's revolutionaries have successfully established an American Communist Republic based on the Iranian constitution (because of Iran's demonstrated ability to survive against US hostilities), they're at war with the fascist French monarchy, and meanwhile the United Statues of America has declared world walkers non-humans without any rights, set up facial recognition and gait analysis cameras everywhere, cloned world walker neural tissue and started importing oil from parallel Earths and investigating the dome planet, and have also tracked down Miriam's daughter that she put up for adoption, recruited her into US intelligence as an asset against her mother, and activated her recessive world-walking genes.

OK thanks, that'll make a nice change from when i finish WoT (23 days in, just finished Crown of Swords)

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Ccs posted:

For some reason I skipped the two immediate Dune sequels because what goes down with Paul sounded depressing and went for the really weird final books. Odd stuff. I’ll probably actually read Dune Messiah after the film comes out.

Reading up to God emperor of dune (imo nearly as good as the original) is wise as that quatrology? Is a deconstruction of the messiah trope or super power trope of Paul. like he's a loving villain who wouldve doomed humanity to extinction or some hosed up predestination no choice universe and he didn't have the courage to fix it. only through a supreme sacrifice of his son and some 'light' genocide does it get fixed. The dune book in the light of the next 3 is a tragedy for the human race and the fremen.

God I love the series.

Now heretics and chapterhouse are just weird. Fun. But weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm trying to find the name of a book or the series I read a while back. It starts with a trio of boys being raised in an extremely harsh religious order preparing for some war. Eventually the main character catches the attention of a senior researcher who recruits him to help with some secret female 'captives' who are basically living in lavish luxury and kept ignorant of anything. It ends up that the senior is killing them to harvest some kind of 'pearl' that grows in people from a life of decandant luxury.

Eventually he escapes, takes one of the women (referred to constantly in bovine terms due to her massive chest) and flees the area to a nearby country's city that seems styled like Renaissance Italy, complete with a big class divide between nobles in commoners. There he rises in the ranks somehow and takes over from the nobility, ends up killing the former city guard captain noble in a duel. The culture he escaped from is some major theocracy claiming to be fighting against the end of the world and it's kind of true but things go bad and there's war/conflict.

One of the hooks is how the main character has something wrong with him, something special, that makes it easy for him to fight and kill people, like something in his head. No actual magic or obvious powers, but his condition is why he got some much attention in the first place.

I remember specifically that a ton of the names and locations were things like Sparta, London, Pittsburgh, etc. lots of names from a huge variety of places all in the same location, and in a afterword from the author he talked about how there's a 100 sq mile area in upper New York where you can find pretty much a similar diversity of names as proof it could be possible. It's set up like low fantasy but seems to be actually a post apocalyptic future.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 9, 2021