Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I remembered the Rheinland section being really short, but not quite that short, lol.

Yeah, same. You might have missed your chance to buy the Rheinland ships. I never really noticed, because my standard MO was to buy the new area's ships as soon as their space opened up and I had the level for it, but I guess if they're hostile from now until the end of the game, that one mission was your only window to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nice piece of fish posted:

I honestly don't know because I've certainly never played the older games, I'm just struck by the many similarities in gameplay core concepts.

A lot of the best parts of Freelancer you'll find in ED as flavour, numbered docking, attempts at making a "living" universe, chatter, supercruise, station placements, faction flavours... just much less concentrated I suppose.

Freelancer is a much more lightweight game, but also way more concentrated which frankly helps a lot in many aspects.

Numbered docking ports were in Frontier Elite which predates Freelancer.

As were other ships that weren't out to murder you. Which were also in Privateer 1 + 2. Which also had factions.

It takes more from Privateer than the Elite series. Which makes sense because Chris Roberts was involved in both Privateer and Freelancer.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Yeah, this was the chance to buy Rheinland ships IIRC, but doing so is entirely pointless as the single player exclusive ship is available to us now that we've docked with the Osiris.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm pretty sure at some point in this game I bought a Rhineland heavy fighter, the Valkyrie or whatever, and after thinking it looked cool the entire story was deeply disappointed by its actual performance.

I guess I'm a sucker for bright green glowy effects, because miss me entirely with the Rhineland faction and their uh, everything.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

Yeah, this was the chance to buy Rheinland ships IIRC, but doing so is entirely pointless as the single player exclusive ship is available to us now that we've docked with the Osiris.

Oh is that available already? I thought it would be a few more missions.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

Oh is that available already? I thought it would be a few more missions.
I think so, but it's also been a solid decade since I actually played the game so I could very well be wrong.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This game makes me wish someone tacked on an editor to the side of Chris Roberts brain or that he had someone constantly reminding him to deal with excessive bloat.

The game was perfectly fine as it was released but all the cut features could have been turned into one or two additions to make it really great.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
The Rheinland ships start becoming available at level 20, right now I'm level 17 and my next rank up will only happen after the next mission.

It's at this point where the game is really apparent that the storyline is ending far too soon. When Microsoft took over, the project was already eighteen months over it's development projection and it needed a large cash injection to continue on. Rheinland feels like it should have had the same treatment as the previous systems, we're not even able to fly the ships until the storyline is over. I understand that Microsoft had to gut the game to release something tangible, which they did, but you can tell that there is going to be a big empty space after the storyline has finished. I'm at level 17 with three missions left to go, the biggest ships come available when you hit levels 30 and then 32.

I'd like to know more of what was cut from Freelancer. I do know that they planned to make the flights more automated so you could concentrate more on the combat side of things, side missions were also being worked on as well as different dialogue choices during cutscenes. There is also concept art that would have made different locations available to visit, but I'm not sure if this would have differed from base to base. I love Freelancer for what it is, the extra content being abandoned has made it more straightforward and accessible, but at the same time, I think someone needs to give Roberts a wake-up slap and tell him to calm his tits down a little.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Funny thing about Orillion is that I clearly remember seeing his face somewhere else in the game, as a rumor telling bar NPC.
I think I saw King's twin aswell, but I'm not as sure about that.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Mission eleven is not fun at all. I'm going to have another crack at it with a different mindset tomorrow.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is going to be a very messy mission. I've managed to get through it after a second test run, but that was also after a couple of reloads. One of those involved being destroyed the moment before the docking cutscene engaged right at the end of the mission. :tif: I'm going to take a step back and I will attempt a recording later.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

If I recall correctly, this upcoming one might have been the hardest storyline mission for me... there's three Order missions that I remember very clearly, but I'm not entirely sure if there were any in between them, or before the one I'm thinking of. I do however remember at least two of the missions being rather rude.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This is where people either learn the true value of the "instant momentum change" keys and merely die a lot, or they don't and die repeatedly and burn out, generally.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I managed to get a recording without dying. It's a scrappy recording, I made several schoolboy errors and it could have gone better in a variety of ways but it's done. To be honest, I think that a good part of what got me through it was dumb luck. I may attempt a re-recording tomorrow but I'm tempted to just leave it as it's not really much different to what you've seen before. I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

I managed to mess up two docking procedures as well as an AI docking procedure :suicide:

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 9, 2021

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

my dad posted:

This is where people either learn the true value of the "instant momentum change" keys and merely die a lot, or they don't and die repeatedly and burn out, generally.

Yeah, I never went into abusing the reverse thrusters (mostly because I didn't know about that trick) but feathering the afterburner to throw off enemy aim because 100% necessary to surviving past this point.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm just preparing tomorrow's update and I've noticed that the information for the tenth mission on the Freelancer wikia is incomplete. It's my fault for not being more thorough but I didn't include some of the log entries in the last update, I've decided to add them to tomorrow's update. I've also included them on the talk section on its entry page as I don't know where they need to go on the page itself right now, I don't have the time at the moment to go back in and check. I should probably point out now that the next update will be my one and only take as I've not had time to record another, I've already given you all warning that it's going to be a messy one.

If you want to read the log entries right now, you can read them here: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159537

The entries for the eleventh and twelfth missions are only a short write up, I've dumped the log entries for the eleventh mission onto the relevant page, they will also be included in the next update. This LP will be going on for some time after the storyline is over so I'll try and complete the missing information or at least provide an info dump for someone else to tart up.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 11, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159536

Out of all of the story missions, this one was the least enjoyable. I made a lot of basic errors, I had a lot of dumb luck in some situations and I don't know how I managed to pull it off as I was sure that this session was going to result in failure. This is one mission where my lack of finesse was going hard against me as I was getting hit a lot more than I should have been. I'm not proud of my performance in this video, but this mission was a slog and I'm glad that it's over.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Just remember that the Anubis is a "very heavy fighter". Excellent power plant for the endgame story, but it turns slow.

I think i never bothered with putting on anything faster than those particle and neutron guns. There are a lot slow and stationary things to shoot, so trading in two gun slots for double catapult missiles can be an option if you run into energy bar problems.

You also might want to get into the whole "strafing with keyboard keys and erratic thruster boosting" more, the Anubis is a giant target to shoot.

EDIT:
"I haven't gotten used to shooting political figures on sight". :allears:
Those lines let me like Trent more and he is exactly my type of space arsehole this b-plot deserves at these times.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 12, 2021

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Ah here we are finally, the Anubis. My absolute favourite ship design in this game. It's an extra fancy Defender, and it's beautiful.
It is also, depending on who you ask the biggest Heavy Fighter, or the lightest Very Heavy Fighter. It's referred to by both classes in game.
And a forward-firing turret is nothing to scoff at either, it's essentially an extra gun mount.

Come to think of it, Juni's Defender seem to be a partially completed conversion into an Anubis. It's got the same tail fin, but it still got the Defender's weapon slots and two yellow engines instead of three red.

It's also amusing to me to note that now that we've passed the point of no return, there's no longer a decline button on the missions.

Also, RIP Walker, you absolute hero. :patriot:

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 12, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gotta point out the appearance of the (late) great Tony Jay as the Chancellor. There never was a better VA for villains.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Here we can see that, somewhere along the way, Trent also picked up a dual-weapon skill, and is using a pistol in each hand now.

This is also our first true fight with Nomad ships. They're tiny, they're fast, they hit like trucks. They're bastards. One of the things that I think makes them so difficult, is that the Order shield is a graviton shield, and I believe the Nomad weapons do bonus damage against it.

Also a fun note: If you stick around to help destroy the other battleship as well in that mission, the game does react to it. I believe the Osiris says something like, "Thank you for the help, Trent. Now please dock already."

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Question how is the Osiris getting around?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ChaosDragon posted:

Question how is the Osiris getting around?

Same as every other ship. Cloaking, going into jump points, gates etc. As far as I know, anyway.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Ah yes, this mission, definitely found this one the hardest in the entire game, if not the hardest, as you will run out of shield batteries (and nanobots) unless you learn to be very frugal about using them. It's better to go evasive for a bit and let the passive recharge tick over, whenever you can get away with it. Afterburner and strafing keys are a must. I never did learn that "reverse thrust instant stop"-trick when I played myself, but I can see how useful that would be for evasion. The Rheinland portion of the story getting cut short does somewhat explain the rather steep difficulty jump between this and the previous mission.

Now for shield choice on this mission, I believe the "adv. Palisade" would have let you handle the hits from the large number of plasma cannons the liberty navy is sporting here without instantly collapsing, but leave you decidedly more vulnerable to the rapid firing weapons and the nomad weapons simply due to the lowered shield total, and now being neutrally effective against both weapon types. That lower shield total however does mean that you don't slam down 9 batteries whenever you recharge, but more like 6, so it helps with saving them for the times you really need them... however the passive recharge rate of the shield is also lower by roughly 30%, so it's a bit of a toss up. I personally preferred having 50% more presses of the panic button, at least for this mission.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

My first attempt at the next mission was a complete disaster. After a re-spec, I fared much better on the second attempt but it quickly turned into a disaster down to losing my bearings. The third attempt went surprisingly well and I think that I'll be able to attempt a recording soon.

I did use the strafing strategy that people have mentioned but the Anubis moves like a tired slug so it wasn't too game-changing but I'll keep at it. I'll keep the advice about the shields in my mind, I managed to get through the next mission without too much trouble. We still have more to come after this one though.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I may have to add a bar scene to the next video as it's going to be less than twelve minutes long. I made a lot more use out of strafing in the next video, it actually became a very useful strategy.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I may have to add a bar scene to the next video as it's going to be less than twelve minutes long. I made a lot more use out of strafing in the next video, it actually became a very useful strategy.

Just remember the benefit comes from constant small changes in your direction to throw off the enemy's aim. Just keep strafing around like a drunk guy doing the tango and you'll be untouchable.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Something to remember regarding shields, is that I'm fairly positive nomad weapons are equally effective against all shield types, and graviton ones have best raw numbers. This is the main reason it's a bit of toss-up.

For evasion, feathering the boost and using strafe keys to fly a relatively tight zigzag, flying away boosting in a corkscrew, I recall those working out decently well for letting the shields get a breather.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

StarFyter posted:

Something to remember regarding shields, is that I'm fairly positive nomad weapons are equally effective against all shield types, and graviton ones have best raw numbers. This is the main reason it's a bit of toss-up.

Yeah, nomad weapons and those named level 10 artifact weapons have an equal effectiveness against all types of shields. You probably better off just sticking to your level 6 order shield (which is graviton shield in disguise, just cheaper)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159559

I'm not sure which was the hardest part of this mission, trying to remember which side to fly around to or trying to get through that drat fan without being smacked around.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 23, 2021

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

As mentioned in the video comments, that line where you accept the mission is one of the most memorable in the game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just completed a test run of the final mission, it took a few reloads to get through it for the first time. I think that it's going to take a couple of more attempts to make it not look a complete poo poo show.

evilmiera posted:

As mentioned in the video comments, that line where you accept the mission is one of the most memorable in the game.

It's a shame that the cutscenes are almost over as I was enjoying the lighter side of Trent.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

I've just completed a test run of the final mission, it took a few reloads to get through it for the first time. I think that it's going to take a couple of more attempts to make it not look a complete poo poo show.

It's a shame that the cutscenes are almost over as I was enjoying the lighter side of Trent.

It was a kind of small moment, but I really enjoyed this conversation,

"Do you remember when I said 'people are changed by their world, rarely the opposite?"

"No."

"Well I did."

Just the kind of casual, unrepentant rear end in a top hat Trent is makes me laugh.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Trent just wanted to sell some boron and commit tax evasion.

Instead he has been forced to fight tentacle aliens.

He has some reason to be grumpy.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished recording the final mission. It went surprisingly smoothly considering that my test runs didn't, I managed to get through it without any major issues. That might be down to tackling the recordings more head-on rather than experimenting during the practise runs, but even so, even tackling this mission head-on lead to a few reloads throughout.

Night10194 posted:

Trent just wanted to sell some boron and commit tax evasion.

Instead he has been forced to fight tentacle aliens.

He has some reason to be grumpy.

He also never got his million credits back from Lonnigan.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I forget if there's an ingame reaction someplace from you earning a million credits, like a journal entry or a levelup or something.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

evilmiera posted:

I forget if there's an ingame reaction someplace from you earning a million credits, like a journal entry or a levelup or something.

There are still a lot of systems to explore and people trying to kill us, I'm sure we will hit that number at some point. *cough* If not, I'll look into it after the main playthrough is done and I start to tweak a save file.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm torn between three titles for the next video:

I'm a hero, but I'm back to freelancing

I never got paid

I'll never get used to Liberty Ale

Right now I've titled it with the first option.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I'm torn between three titles for the next video:

I'm a hero, but I'm back to freelancing

I never got paid

I'll never get used to Liberty Ale

Right now I've titled it with the first option.

I'll never get used to Liberty ale so I'm back to freelancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I never got paid, and all they have is Liberty Ale