Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah I'm not serious that I think anything in our conversation made it into the movie. The story is only worth anything because I talked to some dude who at some point casually mentioned he and his friends started UCB and I was like oh poo poo I'm an idiot you're Adam McKay. He's very pro-union and a good guy even if you hate his movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

Yeah I'm not serious that I think anything in our conversation made it into the movie. The story is only worth anything because I talked to some dude who at some point casually mentioned he and his friends started UCB and I was like oh poo poo I'm an idiot you're Adam McKay. He's very pro-union and a good guy even if you hate his movies.

Don't sell yourself short! Listen to the Moby episode of Heavyweight. Those kinds of one off super influential things happen!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I remember that episode being really good but the details are totally past me, isn't it something like someone lends a rare jazz CD to Moby, and he disappears off into the night with it?

I'm going to have to listen to it again. I recently relistened to the episode of Reply All about the pop song that disappeared and it's still just as good the second time through.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tim Whatley posted:

I hated Vice so much I almost walked out of the theater.

I thought I was the only one.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
American Hustle definitely felt like a fake film made by a shell corporation
Maybe created by Big Boss?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Armageddon sequel here looks terrible.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah I remember that episode being really good but the details are totally past me, isn't it something like someone lends a rare jazz CD to Moby, and he disappears off into the night with it?

I'm going to have to listen to it again. I recently relistened to the episode of Reply All about the pop song that disappeared and it's still just as good the second time through.

I recommend that ep of Reply All to everyone no matter their interests. It's just so fun from start to finish.

As for the Moby episode of Heavyweight you're close: in the 90s, an old friend of Moby lends him Songs from the South - a CD reissue of some old field hollers. This is when Moby was ultra poor on the brink of destitution. He then gets inspired by those and writes two of his most successful songs from his most successful album and rockets into fame. The friend takes a different path and they don't really speak much anymore. The friend's career is poo poo and he just wants his CDs back which Moby never gave them back. Not because of anything really malicious... they just fell distant. The friend clearly wants them back as a way for Moby to acknowledge his contribution and to feel like he did something meaningful in his life. They meet with Moby, and the friend starts sort of getting a little shy like "yeah it's dumb to suggest these CDs meant anything important" and Moby is all "dude, those songs and probably that album absolutely would not have been made had you not given me those CDs" and they make amends with the friend feeling a long absence sense of worth. But Moby won't give the CDs back lol.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haha yes! I need to listen to the episodes of that show I didn’t get around to, they were always super interesting stories.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

is ariana grande going to explain space rocks to me?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ix7TUGVYIo

Trailer going live in 30 seconds

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Wow, Neil Patrick Harris as the new agent Smith, amazing!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Wow, that did nothing for me. That was a pretty bad trailer. I was excited :(

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I liked it. I thought it looked a lot better than some of the other teasers which made it look like it was more of the same.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So did The Matrix naturally create "the anomaly" (Neo) again, and the machines are breaking the peace by forcibly controlling him with blue pills this time?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Aw, it's not stuck in 1999

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Shageletic posted:

David Sirota helped write this?!?

Ha! It kind of makes sense. It does feel like a David Sirota fever dream. Since it's only a story by credit, maybe he and Adam McKay got really hosed up one night and this is the result.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

thrawn527 posted:

So did The Matrix naturally create "the anomaly" (Neo) again, and the machines are breaking the peace by forcibly controlling him with blue pills this time?

Self quoting to say the biggest problem with this is that it basically just sets it up to be the first movie all over again, with Neo being...Neo again. I guess he could unlock his memories somehow.

Maybe the machines have recreated him as a plan to use him for something?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Ehhhhh

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm 100% in on that trailer

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Big disappointment that Laurence Fishburne isn't in this one

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That trailer is just so visually bland, that disappoints me more than all the obvious call backs to the original.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i suspect theres going to be a massive narrative bait and switch with the marketing, similar to when matrix 1 came out.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think my brain is having trouble believing that this 2021 version of Keanu is an aged version of Neo. He just looks like John Wick to me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Def more of a teaser than a trailer. Interested to know what the story is, but wasnt totally blown away or anything.

I mean I'm there day 1 *regardless* because I'm sure it'll be enjoyable/fun.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jewmanji posted:

I think my brain is having trouble believing that this 2021 version of Keanu is an aged version of Neo. He just looks like John Wick to me.

For a little while this and John Wick 4 had the same release date which would have been wild.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For a little while this and John Wick 4 had the same release date which would have been wild.

This would have been a really fun night at the drive-in.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rabelais D posted:

Big disappointment that Laurence Fishburne isn't in this one

Gotta respect the canon

https://twitter.com/Yelix/status/1435956514351722496

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Sirotan posted:

That trailer is just so visually bland, that disappoints me more than all the obvious call backs to the original.

I dunno I thought it had some really nice shots in it

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering if they were going to just ignore everything from The Matrix Online, considering how they were hyping up how it was all canon at the time.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
That looked sick AF and seems to have some sweet action set pieces and an interesting story, surprised at the ehhs!!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean, doesn't seem to have stopped Trinity (although naturally there will be an explanation that probably won't outweight 'we wanted to bring Carrie Anne Moss back because of course we did')

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mean, doesn't seem to have stopped Trinity (although naturally there will be an explanation that probably won't outweight 'we wanted to bring Carrie Anne Moss back because of course we did')

Despite having "died" during the course of the third film, Trinity made a return to the series in the official continuation, The Matrix Online. Taking on a major role in the game's final chapters it is revealed both she and Neo are actually the culmination of decades of Machine research into translating human DNA perfectly into Machine code, allowing them to interface directly with technology without the need for simulated interfaces. Originally developed by The Oracle, this program is called The Biological Interface Program and is strongly sought after by the Oligarchy as a means to transfer their digital minds to physical bodies instead of the mechanical androids they had developed.

Without a physical form, Trinity takes the appearance of a floating figure made of golden code when within The Matrix. Initially distraught with her condition, she eventually finds solace in the fact her existence is the key to finally rebooting the Matrix and erasing Oligarch override control once and for all.

She ultimately meets her end in the Source of The Matrix, merging with a human inside the core of the Machine code base itself, combining the three core groups; Man, Machine and Program. This initializes the final reboot sequence, removing the Oligarch control and allowing the Machines to finally exist without fear of cruel masters.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Whoa

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

bows1 posted:

I dunno I thought it had some really nice shots in it

Sure, I am mostly just commenting on the mood created by the color and lighting choices. The Matrix has a pretty distinct visual style. Colors are very desaturated, palette is mostly grays, beige, green. Woman in the red dress is the only moment I can think of where there is a pop of color. I know the sequels tried to mimic this with color grading which led to The Matrix getting a hosed up color grade job in one of the subsequent bluray releases where it was way too green. This trailer is super bright, colorful, which is fine in and of itself I guess but absolutely does not fit in with the Matrix franchise, style-wise, and just comes off as Generic Blockbuster to me.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 9, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sirotan posted:

Sure, I am mostly just commenting on the mood created by the color and lighting choices. The Matrix has a pretty distinct visual style. Colors are very desaturated, palette is mostly grays, beige, green. Woman in the red dress is the only moment I can think of where there is a pop of color. I know the sequels tried to mimic this with color grading which led to The Matrix getting a hosed up color grade job in one of the subsequent bluray releases where it was way too green. This movie is super bright, colorful, which is fine in and of itself I guess but absolutely does not fit in with the Matrix franchise, style-wise, and just comes off as Generic Blockbuster to me.

It actually does fit to the *end* of the last Matrix where he's sitting with the Oracle and the "new" Matrix is much brighter and colorful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgRqgI1dbTQ&t=79s

edit; meaning I think most of what we're seeing is in the new peaceful matrix and not necessarily that they abandoned the style

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Despite having "died" during the course of the third film, Trinity made a return to the series in the official continuation, The Matrix Online. Taking on a major role in the game's final chapters it is revealed both she and Neo are actually the culmination of decades of Machine research into translating human DNA perfectly into Machine code, allowing them to interface directly with technology without the need for simulated interfaces. Originally developed by The Oracle, this program is called The Biological Interface Program and is strongly sought after by the Oligarchy as a means to transfer their digital minds to physical bodies instead of the mechanical androids they had developed.

Without a physical form, Trinity takes the appearance of a floating figure made of golden code when within The Matrix. Initially distraught with her condition, she eventually finds solace in the fact her existence is the key to finally rebooting the Matrix and erasing Oligarch override control once and for all.

She ultimately meets her end in the Source of The Matrix, merging with a human inside the core of the Machine code base itself, combining the three core groups; Man, Machine and Program. This initializes the final reboot sequence, removing the Oligarch control and allowing the Machines to finally exist without fear of cruel masters.

I understand the Metal Gear Solid series about as much as I will ever understand anything that came after the first matrix movie. The difference is, I don't have to know what the patriots are to know that tying weather balloons to a horse is fun, but this is just :psyboom:

Still hard not to get hyped for it though.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

BonoMan posted:

It actually does fit to the *end* of the last Matrix where he's sitting with the Oracle and the "new" Matrix is much brighter and colorful:

edit; meaning I think most of what we're seeing is in the new peaceful matrix and not necessarily that they abandoned the style

Yeah this was my initial thought too. The opening trailer shot looks extremely similar to the park scene from Revolutions.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BonoMan posted:

I'll readily admit I have only seen the sequels the one time in the theater and never again and will definitely revisit all 3 before 4 comes out since I have largely forgotten them. The trailer really just did not hype me up though. :/

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

scary ghost dog posted:

i suspect theres going to be a massive narrative bait and switch with the marketing, similar to when matrix 1 came out.

90% sure that the obvious rehashing of stuff from the original movie is going to be a meta-commentary thing, but that doesn't translate well to a trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Sirotan posted:

Sure, I am mostly just commenting on the mood created by the color and lighting choices. The Matrix has a pretty distinct visual style. Colors are very desaturated, palette is mostly grays, beige, green. Woman in the red dress is the only moment I can think of where there is a pop of color. I know the sequels tried to mimic this with color grading which led to The Matrix getting a hosed up color grade job in one of the subsequent bluray releases where it was way too green. This trailer is super bright, colorful, which is fine in and of itself I guess but absolutely does not fit in with the Matrix franchise, style-wise, and just comes off as Generic Blockbuster to me.

I get that. I thought that pops of color were actually refreshing after stuff like the trailer for the Eternals where it looks like someone turned the brightness down on my monitor.

I also quite liked the shot where hes looking up into the reflection at the top of the mirror but it looks like hes on his knees beneath everyone else.