Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That episode of lower decks was... sweet.

Enjoying the kinda calmer vibe between the characters as they settle in and get along better. Everyone at the bar at the end was so nice.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Picard season 2 looks real bad but I’d appreciate if someone could put together a montage of John DeLancie’s scenes after it’s over. I’d watch that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Honestly it seems to get better and better each week. I really look forward to it in a way I haven't for weekly Star Trek in a long time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also I assume his DJ name is Outrageous

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nitrousoxide posted:

Duncan 100% has to die. It's like vitally important that he does.

Gonna suck if they don't get up to God Emperor so we can have Jason Mamoa playing like three different characters

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

That episode of lower decks was... sweet.

Enjoying the kinda calmer vibe between the characters as they settle in and get along better. Everyone at the bar at the end was so nice.

I’m really starting to get attached to these characters. They’re doing a bang up job developing them.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Also I assume his DJ name is Outrageous

looking forward to the backstory of exactly how he got that eyepatch and why he's just lugging that guidance system around with him everywhere he goes now

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cross-Section posted:

looking forward to the backstory of exactly how he got that eyepatch and why he's just lugging that guidance system around with him everywhere he goes now

That’s his DJ persona.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This episode was sweet but the whole doopler thing was awfully pointless and felt like a ten second gag that was stretched out to twenty minutes. The Rutherford and Tendi arc felt kind of weird but I can't articulate why.

I still think it was a super fun episode, I just find myself nitpicking the last two episodes more than the entirety of the show to this point.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Martytoof posted:

This episode was sweet but the whole doopler thing was awfully pointless and felt like a ten second gag that was stretched out to twenty minutes. The Rutherford and Tendi arc felt kind of weird but I can't articulate why.

Because they keep dancing around the fact that they should be a couple but for whatever plot reason they’re stuck as weird awkward friends.

The Boimler and Mariner plot was sweet though.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i wish the orville had fewer dick jokes

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

punishedkissinger posted:

i wish the orville had fewer dick jokes

Agreed

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The doopler thing gave me serious Rick and morty vibes for some reason, but other than that it was another great episode.

There's some great stuff on the walls and behind the bar in the last couple scenes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I also like that they've evolved Boimler past the point of freaking out about Mariner's plans and instead having stuff like him just going "ooo!" at her using the chaos to take the chance to override the transporter, keeps things from being too one-note and repetitive and slowed down by early freakouts. He's not quite up to embracing things when they go full chaotic but he's not a total weenie anymore.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
It’s absolutely wild and totally unexpected that this cheap little cartoon would be the best star trek in 20 years

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Picard is after an Almanac confirmed

https://twitter.com/LeaKThompson/status/1436163765788049411

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The ending of Lower Decks contrasted with the Picard trailer shows just how busted New Trek is. You create characters, grow them, let them confront obstacles and let us root for them as they overcome them, and organically we grow to like them. Not everything has to be We have to go back in time to stop the Trump campaign it can just be we learned something about each other from trying to crash this party / build this spaceship.

A bunch of cartoon nonsense has 10x more heart than the entire season 1 of Picard.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I will watch Picard because I am a mark for Star Trek. I'll probably find some stuff about it I like, but i'm prepared to be disappointed.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

How is the audience supposed to care about characters doing anything but the most important thing to ever happen in the universe?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

HD DAD posted:

I finally figured out what Picard slightly reminded me of, and couldn’t quite put my finger on it. It’s Mission Impossible - but the 60s series. It’s a weird modern take on those 60s spy thriller shows with a ragtag band of experts led by a sagely older man.
[My av] You rang?

Picard should be more like Indiana Jones and the Vessel of Ra, with everyone else out in the field and Picard waiting by the phone if they need him for advice. In all his scenes, he's on a couch in his bathrobe. Not Picard's bathrobe, but Patrick Stewart's.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'd like a Star Trek series where two crews are each trying to Prevent The Apocalypse and they're constantly stepping on each others' toes because they're each convinced their apocalypse event is The Apocalypse (and they may both be right)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

I'd like a Star Trek series where two crews are each trying to Prevent The Apocalypse and they're constantly stepping on each others' toes because they're each convinced their apocalypse event is The Apocalypse (and they may both be right)

"We prevented the wrong apocalypse" is literally a line in The Magicians

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

"We prevented the wrong apocalypse" is literally a line in The Magicians

Hey, that's a show I've almost started a couple times while having a Buffy craving, is it worth a watch?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Hey, that's a show I've almost started a couple times while having a Buffy craving, is it worth a watch?

First season is a little rough but it turns into something genuinely charming and wonderful

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

J33uk posted:

First season is a little rough but it turns into something genuinely charming and wonderful

I agree with this goon

It's veers a little in to CW territory occasionally, if you catch my drift, but I am really glad I watched the whole thing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I agree with this goon

It's veers a little in to CW territory occasionally, if you catch my drift, but I am really glad I watched the whole thing.

Oh you have no idea, that sorta cringe is catnip to my lame rear end

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Magicians is like, what if Narnia but 40% gayer and with 97% more swearing and loving

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The Bloop posted:

The Magicians is like, what if Narnia but 40% gayer and with 97% more swearing and loving

I would watch it on this sales pitch alone.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HD DAD posted:

I would watch it on this sales pitch alone.

Yeah that sounds loads better than "edgy Harry Potter" which is how I'd categorized it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah that sounds loads better than "edgy Harry Potter" which is how I'd categorized it

I mean there is a magic school but it's literally graduate school not middle school

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, it's very explicitly based on Narnia if it's anything like the book.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

so it's heavy handed christian allegory, but ~sexy~?

is Aslan circumcised?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Payndz posted:

Picard should be more like Indiana Jones and the Vessel of Ra, with everyone else out in the field and Picard waiting by the phone if they need him for advice. In all his scenes, he's on a couch in his bathrobe. Not Picard's bathrobe, but Patrick Stewart's.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
Okay, so a couple random thoughts.

Quark has a chain of bars and cool model kits he’s selling. He is making at least USS Cerritos and DS9 models, so presumably he has a whole line of them. Even if he’s not the Negus, his brother is, and I bet that he has tons of Ferengi that are queuing up to loan him money for whatever business venture he wants to that he doesn’t have cash on hand for. I bet he’s bringing Marauder Moe dolls back if someone else hasn’t yet.

This is I think the third time that they’ve mentioned capital ships in the show, and apparently the California class isn’t one. And the bouncer at the party mentioned Luna class and bigger ship captains only were invited. I would be interested to know if this sort if dividing line between “real ship” and second-tier/support role ships is an actual thing that gets fleshed out more.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Problematic Soup posted:

Quark has a chain of bars and cool model kits he’s selling. He is making at least USS Cerritos and DS9 models, so presumably he has a whole line of them. Even if he’s not the Negus, his brother is, and I bet that he has tons of Ferengi that are queuing up to loan him money for whatever business venture he wants to that he doesn’t have cash on hand for. I bet he’s bringing Marauder Moe dolls back if someone else hasn’t yet.

This is I think the third time that they’ve mentioned capital ships in the show, and apparently the California class isn’t one. And the bouncer at the party mentioned Luna class and bigger ship captains only were invited. I would be interested to know if this sort if dividing line between “real ship” and second-tier/support role ships is an actual thing that gets fleshed out more.

Back in the movies they always described the Enterprise as a 'heavy cruiser', and the technical manuals fleshed it out a bit more - there was that three nacelle dreadnaught class Federation class I think.

There's not a full article on classes and their meanings but you can see links to all the named classes on the memory alpha page here with examples of where each was given.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Fun episode (even if the Dooplers were straight-up Futurama aliens rather than Star Trek), and more openly warm-hearted than usual - the ending with the main cast all hanging out in Space Cheers had a real 'crew as family' vibe for probably the first time. But ironically, the story took advantage of animation being able to do things live-action TV can't without an enormous budget and gave us... an interminable car chase? I was at the 'come on, end now, END!' stage before they even reached the aviary.

I did enjoy the further recanonisation of TAS with all the races from 'Jihad', though. (And one of Bem's species was in the mid-season trailer.) Keep 'em coming!

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Problematic Soup posted:

This post made me imagine an Olympic class ship in an episode with a giant space baby where he mistakes the ship for a rattle.

I could see Lower Decks doing that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Payndz posted:

Fun episode (even if the Dooplers were straight-up Futurama aliens rather than Star Trek), and more openly warm-hearted than usual - the ending with the main cast all hanging out in Space Cheers had a real 'crew as family' vibe for probably the first time. But ironically, the story took advantage of animation being able to do things live-action TV can't without an enormous budget and gave us... an interminable car chase? I was at the 'come on, end now, END!' stage before they even reached the aviary.

I did enjoy the further recanonisation of TAS with all the races from 'Jihad', though. (And one of Bem's species was in the mid-season trailer.) Keep 'em coming!

This is the second time they showed the Kzin on the Cerritos, a member of a race that is pretty much the diametric opposite of everything the Federation stands for. My brain hungers for an an explanation as to how this is possible.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
It's like Star Trek it's self had a transporter accident and was split in two. All of the good got put in the animated show and all of the bad went to the live action ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

A.o.D. posted:

This is the second time they showed the Kzin on the Cerritos, a member of a race that is pretty much the diametric opposite of everything the Federation stands for. My brain hungers for an an explanation as to how this is possible.

What were people's reactions when TNG had a Klingon on the bridge? I was 4 months old when the first episode aired so I can't say I remember what people who knew what Klingons even were thought of that.