Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Menards is definitely lovely, especially for their own management team (https://www.milwaukeemag.com/bigmoney-john-menard/), no question there.

Out of curiosity, what was their early COVID behavior in your neck of the woods? They were the first store in our area to require masks, and they didn't allow kids in the store just to keep attendance at a minimum.

I had to actually look up what their mask policy was since I didn't set foot in a Menards at all in 2020, and it looks like they were one of the first big chains to began requiring masks for employees and customers sometime in May. My previous comment was in reference to them price gouging on masks and cleaning supplies until our state Attorney General told them to knock that poo poo off. They were applying their genius rebate techniques and charging $39.95 per mask two-pack with a $20 rebate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Chalk me up to never having had an issue with the Menards rebates, when I remember to send them in. I know a guy who works in property maintenance who submits all his work receipts for the rebates, and got one of the 72" tool chests for "free" after using probably 75 rebate cards.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Sirotan posted:

I had to actually look up what their mask policy was since I didn't set foot in a Menards at all in 2020, and it looks like they were one of the first big chains to began requiring masks for employees and customers sometime in May. My previous comment was in reference to them price gouging on masks and cleaning supplies until our state Attorney General told them to knock that poo poo off. They were applying their genius rebate techniques and charging $39.95 per mask two-pack with a $20 rebate.

Ahhh, very fair. I only thought of COVID-denial, not pandemic profiteering, which is my bad considering the topic was lovely business practices.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I'm trying to get my deck replaced with a concrete patio, and the concrete guys I've had out to quote have either given me fuckoff quotes for the demolition or just haven't wanted to. This is complicated by the fact that attached to the deck is a shed and carport. Queue some demo.

Before:

During:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc_zo0zXsXI

Found out that the gazebo is supported by an old stump!

And found this wild cluster of mushrooms

I thought I couldn't be surprised by how badly this deck was built, but the stump is impressive. They even notched it for the joist. Most of the other joists are held up by cinderblocks (stacked on dirt) or just 4x4 posts on dirt.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

While I'm sure the quotes were high for the demo work do you know what it's going to cost/have a plan for getting rid of all of that stuff?

Site prep is still gonna be a thing that requires more than a skid steer and a couple triaxels full of stone because somebody's gonna need to get a miniex in there to dig that stump out at a minimum.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Something is digging holes in my yard. A few days ago there were a couple, but they really proliferated overnight, after I mowed the lawn.

The Internet has led me to believe it's either raccoons or skunks looking for grubs/bugs? The holes are maybe 3-4" inches deep max, while some barely go an inch. Seems too hardcore for squirrels.

Any other guesses?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

umbrage posted:

Something is digging holes in my yard. A few days ago there were a couple, but they really proliferated overnight, after I mowed the lawn.

The Internet has led me to believe it's either raccoons or skunks looking for grubs/bugs? The holes are maybe 3-4" inches deep max, while some barely go an inch. Seems too hardcore for squirrels.

Any other guesses?

I’d say skunks.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Do you have armadillos or possums where you live?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Motronic posted:

While I'm sure the quotes were high for the demo work do you know what it's going to cost/have a plan for getting rid of all of that stuff?

Site prep is still gonna be a thing that requires more than a skid steer and a couple triaxels full of stone because somebody's gonna need to get a miniex in there to dig that stump out at a minimum.

My dudes wanted 10k for demo. I have a Sawzall and rented a 30 cu yd dumpster for $375 (+80/ton). I'm not tackling the asphalt. The stump isn't a big deal, it's been under that deck for 20 years and feels like a sponge.

My labor is the difference between a 40k job and a (hopefully) sub 30k job. Covid staycation!

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

MetaJew posted:

Do you have armadillos or possums where you live?

Opossums, yes. I'm in southern NY so I don't think we have armadillos, or at least I've never seen one.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

BigFactory posted:

I’d say skunks.

Yeah, it doesn't look like raccoon digging to me

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

BigFactory posted:

I’d say skunks.

Now that I think about it, I just realized that something I saw on my retaining wall yesterday while weeding the garden might be skunk scat. But if it is, it's a big loving skunk.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Made good progress today. Took care of everything I needed to on the left side of the fence; as soon as the concrete sets overnight I’ll get the panels back up tomorrow. Replaced a bunch of slats, etc on that side of the fence and everything is nailed down tight now.

Once this is all complete i still have two posts on the right side of the fence that I need to replace, but I need to coordinate with a different neighbor for that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NomNomNom posted:

My dudes wanted 10k for demo. I have a Sawzall and rented a 30 cu yd dumpster for $375 (+80/ton). I'm not tackling the asphalt. The stump isn't a big deal, it's been under that deck for 20 years and feels like a sponge.

My labor is the difference between a 40k job and a (hopefully) sub 30k job. Covid staycation!

I have no doubt that you are saving money doing demo yourself. It's up to you what your time is worth. just asking about that and disposal costs.

No way in hell I would do that job without a miniex with a thumb which would likely reduce dumpster costs......

But you do you.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Motronic posted:

I have no doubt that you are saving money doing demo yourself. It's up to you what your time is worth. just asking about that and disposal costs.

No way in hell I would do that job without a miniex with a thumb which would likely reduce dumpster costs......

But you do you.

not all of us have that kind of equipment, and I'd 100% also do the demo work myself for 10k to demo that crap. a weekend some buddies and some beers is well worth saving 10 grand but you do you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

tater_salad posted:

not all of us have that kind of equipment, and I'd 100% also do the demo work myself for 10k to demo that crap. a weekend some buddies and some beers is well worth saving 10 grand but you do you.

For under $400/day rental, a mini excavator is a pretty huge time saving investment.

I'm all for DIYing demo, I did that with my kitchen and basement. I'll do it when I replace my concrete patio for a deck (once I decide whether to remove the slab, or cut openings for the footer).

But with a larger job, paying for rental "real" equipment pays off. Edit: Plus, OP would be able to do the asphalt himself, too.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Also, mini excavators are fun as hell.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i pay people to demo stuff because they have insurance for when they hurt themselves

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Y'all are babies. Deroofed everything this morning. Just me and my Sawzall, (and wife), took about 3 hours.

A miniex rental was going to be over 1k with delivery charges (I don't have a vehicle that could tow one). Plus this let's me skip my workout. Dumpster is about half full at this point.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

umbrage posted:

Any other guesses?

It's a murderer with a peg leg, buy some cameras and set up some Home Alone style traps

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

peg legged shed pisser.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

my time and body have zero value. demo ho!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My girlfriend and I demoed a 5 ton nuclear-proof wellhouse by ourselves instead of spending a few thousand on it and we both agreed afterwards we should have hired it out.

What a learning experience though!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tater_salad posted:

peg legged shed pisser.

Is that a roof shitter reference or something else? I loved the roof shitter thread

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
This isn't nearly as bad as the 5x5 bathroom I demo'd by myself. The walls and floor in that were concrete on lath and I was too stubborn to rent a mini jack hammer until way too far along. It was kinda neat though, the shower pan was a big sheet of lead that they had hammered into shape.

Progress pic:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I am gonna remove some stumps from my yard soon. My trees are smaller than what I see NomNomNom has got, so not sure it carries over. I am using a common 19th century method that's also used for clearing rocks, Excavators made this obsolete in a professional setting, but I am all about obsolete methods that I can do myself to save money, and it's fun & cool to boot.

This is a friends, I hope to borrow it:

For stumps you also dig around the stump by hand to free as much of trhe root system as possible.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

kickass handsome antique men

tell me more about roof making GBS threads

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

His Divine Shadow posted:

I am gonna remove some stumps from my yard soon. My trees are smaller than what I see NomNomNom has got, so not sure it carries over. I am using a common 19th century method that's also used for clearing rocks, Excavators made this obsolete in a professional setting, but I am all about obsolete methods that I can do myself to save money, and it's fun & cool to boot.

This is a friends, I hope to borrow it:

For stumps you also dig around the stump by hand to free as much of trhe root system as possible.

This is very cool. I've gotten pretty good at digging stumps out by hand, generally just dig 1-2 feet down all around and use a mattock to chop the major roots. Occasionally you can start getting under the main bole and then rock the stump back and forth.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Is blinds.com a good place for roman shades?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I'd like to think I've earned that thread title.

Here's a primer on How Not to Build a Deck:

Deck demolition done. Just have the gazebo left. Only have a few battle scars and casualties:
Puncture wound to hip
Screw to the knee
6x #2 square drive bits
1x carbide Sawzall demo blade

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

But look at all those free cinder blocks!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
I used to be a homeowner like you, then I took a screw to the knee

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I like the wavy funhouse deck you had, your new patio wont be as interesting.

You can use your recovered cinderblocks to make your project money back via catalytic converters and rims.

Vim Fuego posted:

I used to be a homeowner like you, then I took a screw to the knee

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I bought some vinyl flooring and am finally going to take on the task of getting rid of this disgusting carpet. Does anybody have suggestions for an odor or mildew proofing primer for the subfloor?

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

umbrage posted:

Any other guesses?

I had the same thing and everybody here said moles. I think it’s skunk or raccoon.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Argh. I was gonna re-stain the deck today. I got it all scraped and filled the holes. Now it's not quite raining, but it's sprinkling a tiny tiny bit. Ah well, tomorrow should be good.

edit: I have stained anyway, it's still dry enough out

Sous Videodrome fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 10, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ball Tazeman posted:

I bought some vinyl flooring and am finally going to take on the task of getting rid of this disgusting carpet. Does anybody have suggestions for an odor or mildew proofing primer for the subfloor?

Bleach scrub or steam clean.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ball Tazeman posted:

Kilz is a classic for a reason.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ball Tazeman posted:

What is the subfloor? Concrete? Wood? What kind of wood? (my "subfloor" is "air" because we have 1940's hardwood floors.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Our radon test came back clean :toot: