Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Gwaihir posted:

it's not "my" IK man I don't know kith at all.

one side is dropping slurs and trolling, the other side is making a joke pointing out that a higher authority making a capricious decision to shove something they don't feel like dealing with under the proverbial rug is very reminiscent of the company we're mocking, hmmm, yeah, it's really difficult for me to tell the difference here, i suppose both sides ARE the same

You should know by now that Stux and Endorph have never been good faith posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

sourdough posted:

My games feedback is there's too many good games and not enough time to play them

too right!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

You should know by now that Stux and Endorph have never been good faith posters.

everything ive posted has been in good faith and something i sincerely believe. i realize you probably wont believe me, but i hope you do.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think having a 24/7 thread whose discussion revolves around a company's culture of rape and abuse and a hope for its downfall isn't very healthy for a poster's brain, especially when it becomes a community identity and the IK is someone who seems emotionally unwell with constant self-hatred

Maybe a thread like that should stay closed until there's news to discuss, instead of ruminating and seeking out every single bit of bad news to feed an outrage addiction; it makes for people who are useless in fighting cultures of abuse

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

You really suck rear end.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

this is a really unwise post

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Black August posted:

I think having a 24/7 thread whose discussion revolves around a company's culture of rape and abuse and a hope for its downfall isn't very healthy for a poster's brain, especially when it becomes a community identity and the IK is someone who seems emotionally unwell with constant self-hatred

Maybe a thread like that should stay closed until there's news to discuss, instead of ruminating and seeking out every single bit of bad news to feed an outrage addiction; it makes for people who are useless in fighting cultures of abuse

It wasn't like that though. It basically turned into a place to lament how we all used to play WoW but hated the direction the company had gone in and how terrible things are right now. The lawsuit wasn't even known before it got moved to Games.

Like literally just a refugee place of people who escaped the addiction of playing WoW.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nephrite posted:

Okay, I'll bite.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971850&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=30#post517383147

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971850&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post517392786

[https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971850&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post517414453

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971850&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=32#post517415455

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971850&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=32#post517419424

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971850&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=32#post517420906

It would take a very small amount of effort to go back pages where this sort of sentiment from people in the Blizzwatch thread is very common. In this very thread today a bunch of people lost their poo poo about "people who don't even post in the Blizzwatch thread complaining about it"

I will 100% own up to the fact that I know this isn't a one-way street and there are people on the other side that are just as antagonistic towards people on the other side. My entire take on this is that it's exhausting to see this sort of thing over and over and over and the pot-shots and lovely snipes are tiresome.

I don't want to simply go "haha I bet I'll just get a snotty reply about this all being totally normal" but based on everything I've seen today I would be really surprised if any of this is taken in a reasonable way by certain people who are unfortunately the most vocal minority.

Don't worry the most vocal minority is busy making snotty replies explaining that slurs are totally normal in CCCC, so threadshitting accusations are considerably lower on the list of priorities and probably well below trying to normalize cartoon teachers flirting with kids

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Kild posted:

this is a really unwise post

You're just not understanding the right context for the post.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ok let's try and keep to actual feedback for the games forum now, thanks

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

It wasn't like that though. It basically turned into a place to lament how we all used to play WoW but hated the direction the company had gone in and how terrible things are right now.

So... a thread for whose discussion revolves around a company's culture of rape and abuse and a hope for its downfall?

EDIT: Oh, alright. Feedback given and done.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Both Stux and Endorph are extremely earnest most of the time, like outside of what are obvious joke posts.

e:whoops just saw mod message.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

New Super Metis posted:

Ok let's try and keep to actual feedback for the games forum now, thanks

Slow posting during panels please. :getin:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
really weird to see threadshitting constantly brought up when it isn't happening and the person who used a slur got probated for it

e: whoops need to refresh

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

https://i.imgur.com/7KBD4fC.mp4

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Boba Pearl posted:

I will say that I got Dongicus confused with another poster, and I was wrong. I didn't mean for what I said to come off the way it did, but I am really sorry that I had said it, if I worded what I had said differently, then maybe Dongicus would have had a chance to defend himself, and it wouldn't have gone on like this for this long. I'd message him an apology but he doesn't have PMs. Instead of rehashing my problems with that poster and souring what is an apology, I will simply say that I hosed up, what I said wasn't cool, and I think he/she/they are correct that there was a million better ways to have said what I was trying to say. Seeing other people read it the same way Dongicus did recontextualizes it for me, because to me it just seemed like they were trying to find an inroad to dismiss what I said, but if so many people saw it as an accusation that he's rapist, then that means my ability to communicate has failed. I don't know where to post this where they would see it, and they don't have PMs. I don't know if they want an apology at all, but I didn't feel right not saying that I had hosed up, and should have chosen my words better.

e: ftr I thought him and forum poster cum were the same poster, just under a name change.

aye its no problem, think most of the issue for me i think was the IK and other people in the thread being morons. just mind next time to click the '?' button in threads to try and get context for any jokes or w/e

e: genuinely appreciate that btw.

Mordiceius posted:

endorph and stux have been pretty consistently good faith here lol.

Dongicus fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 11, 2021

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

it's 9/11

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Dongicus posted:

it's 9/11

I know moving the Blizzwatch thread has upset people but let's not participate in hyperbole

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ty to boba for responding like an adult unlike some otheres. ppl are pretty amenable to just talking stuff out if everyones being cool, i find. another games feedback success story.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Every single one of you tedious nerds needs to be shoved into a locker

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordiceius posted:

Endorph is like the single most sincere person on this site, what the hell are you on about?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Endorph is a good poster and my friend

Stux is Stux

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Games should have an 8-bit theme and play 8-bit midis when you browse. Make the background look like the Super Gameboy boarders imho

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My feedback is also that Endorph is a good poster and Stux is Stux

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Games should have an 8-bit theme and play 8-bit midis when you browse. Make the background look like the Super Gameboy boarders imho

i'm taking this one to the top

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

New Super Metis posted:

i'm taking this one to the top

I genuinely think you should, it'd be cool

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I see you've chosen to surpass Imp Zone

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979089

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Finally some solid feedback.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
my feedback is thank you for getting rid of the blizzwatch thread. it sucked very badly.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
:frogsiren: :catstare: :staredog: :stonk: :froggonk: :gonk: :stare: :frogsiren:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
im glad the troll's have been punish

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I enjoy seeing Stux's avatar in every thread I read. It makes me stop and I can't not notice it and smile, even when doomscrolling.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im hte best poster in games, by a wide margin

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Stux posted:

im hte best poster in games, by a wide margin

In a way .05 is a lot wider than .01

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
most of this was already covered but i want to talk about a few things myself :D

imo thread bans do not work and they lead to absurd situations like someone eating a longer probation than the person actually posting stupid or offensive poo poo because they commented on a stupid post comparing mild griefing to rape. imo a poster should be punished for the posts they have made not because they broke some arbitrary rule about posting in a thread after an IK or mod told them not to post in it. hell... i actually forgot about blizzwatch for a while until i logged on and saw i had been given a day long prob for making fun of that post a day after i had already made it and waited out my sixer.

as for the blizzwatch thread itself. i PM'd Harrow my thoughts on the matter a few days ago don't know if he read or not and don't care because it wasn't an obligation for them to read it or anything i just wanted to post my thoughts about it while on probation. so i'll just give the short version of what I wrote. mock threads suck. they are only funny for a week or two and once stuff to make fun of runs out it either becomes a creepy cespool of goons stalking people like the star citizen subforum or reposting the same unfunny joke over and over like the doobie threads. chat threads suck too for the similar reasons because they form their own insular communities that are hostile to outsiders because they have grown accustomed to any weird behavior of regular posters in their threads

my final thoughts are that thread IKs are kinda not a good idea unless its the politics forums where slapfights are a common occurance. if a thread needs a dedicated IK just to moderate it then the mods need to evaluate the thread and decide if the thread is really worth having around imo.

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 11, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks for keeping things mostly on track, everyone, and thanks to Athanatos and Metis for stepping in to guide things too. I am very tired and going to bed but I'll catch up and read what people posted in more detail tomorrow.

Meloncholric posted:

as for the blizzwatch thread itself. i PM'd Harrow my thoughts on the matter a few days ago don't know if he read or not and don't care because it wasn't an obligation for them to read it or anything i just wanted to post my thoughts about it while on probation. so i'll just give the short version of what I wrote. mock threads suck. they are only funny for a week or two and once stuff to make fun of runs out it either becomes a creepy cespool of goons stalking people like the star citizen subforum or reposting the same unfunny joke over and over like the doobie threads. chat threads suck too for the similar reasons because they form their own insular communities that are hostile to outsiders because they have grown accustomed to any weird behavior of regular posters in their threads

I did read the PM, and shared the feedback with other Games mods. I've been trying to think of what's best for Games and what's best for Blizzwatch for a few days now so I appreciated the input. Meant to reply but I've had an unusually large number of PMs lately so it slipped :cheers:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Harrow posted:

Thanks for keeping things mostly on track, everyone, and thanks to Athanatos and Metis for stepping in to guide things too. I am very tired and going to bed but I'll catch up and read what people posted in more detail tomorrow.

I did read the PM, and shared the feedback with other Games mods. I've been trying to think of what's best for Games and what's best for Blizzwatch for a few days now so I appreciated the input. Meant to reply but I've had an unusually large number of PMs lately so it slipped :cheers:

its all cool :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ultimately the decision ended up not really being mine to make on what to do to keep Games and Blizzwatch both going well but, well, I think the move back to CCCC seems like the closest to making everyone happy we were probably going to get.