Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The measure of a TV relationship is how they handle their first proper fight, I think they're going to be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Roy’s reaction after asking ‘are you talking about me?’ killed me each time.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

His backstory episode in season 2 is probably my favorite of the show. Although technically Abraham himself is only in it for like thirty seconds at the end.

I liked it a lot too but my favorite by far is still DQD.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

howe_sam posted:

Nate's a little poo poo so whatever, but I swear to loving god show, if you break up Roy and Keeley we will have loving words :argh:

My prediction:
Season ends with a Roy, Keeley wedding

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nah they get engaged this season married next.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Robobot posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong. I still think the show is way better than most other shows, I just don't think they caught that season 1 magic in a bottle with this one and I can't figure out what the difference is.

I think part of it was season 1 hit people at a time when everyone needed a little more positivity in their lives. We had no expectations for season 1 but have them for 2. I'm enjoying season 2 overall, it just isn't as tight as season 1. A lot of episodes have ended with what felt like cliffhangers that basically weren't touched the next season. It also feels like characters are interacting with less characters this season but I could be imagining that. Jamie has felt almost non existent this season, if he is in an episode it feels like it is to deliver 5 lines at most then disappear. I'd give season 1 an A+ and season 2 (so far) an A- or B+. Still one of my favorite shows on tv/streaming.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's the lack of plot and/or central conflict that everyone keeps bouncing against.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

MiddleOne posted:

It's the lack of plot and/or central conflict that everyone keeps bouncing against.

I don't know if there's a lack of plot, things do happen they're just not against some major antagonist. First season had relegation and Rebecca's ex, this one has some good character development but mostly everyone is just trying to live their lives and become better people and along the way win some football games. Except Nate, he needs more from Beard I think.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

seaborgium posted:

I don't know if there's a lack of plot, things do happen they're just not against some major antagonist. First season had relegation and Rebecca's ex, this one has some good character development but mostly everyone is just trying to live their lives and become better people and along the way win some football games. Except Nate, he needs more from Beard I think.

Rebecca and Jamie were also secondary antagonists in Season 1.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I think Nate is a great (and also horrific to watch) storyline. It's very much one about what success and fame, and social media, does to someone. Remember Nate was the kitman, one with talent, but someone who was absolutely ignored and treated badly. He's been made an assistant coach to a just-relegated premier league team. He's appearing in press conferences/interviews for his tactical sharpness. That's a massive change for anyone; real life upset. It's the sports equivalent of someone making minimum wage suddenly winning the lottery.

Even in this thread people are quick to call him out, talking about being "a good person" when how to be "a good person" in this football world is completely alien to your average fucker on twitter. And yes, his behaviour has been bad, really bad, but that's just reflective of how quickly people will call out, "Stars" who have absolutely no blueprint for their lives. These people either buy into the rich and famous lifestyle, separating themselves, or have people to keep them grounded. Remember, even in the sports-management setting Nate is far less prepared than anyone else. Ted, Beard, and Rebecca are all primed for this life, it's what they've set their careers on (Rebecca just with "money" more than sports to some extent.) Keeley is completely in the PR/marketing/media game, and knows her business. The players themselves have all been thinking about top level football careers and what goes on with them since the age of 11 for most of them. If anything the show undersells the indulgence of what it is to be with a Premier League team, even a Championship team. These people are earning millions of pounds a year, and many will be spending it as soon as it comes in. Look at Keeley's house! Nate is a guy who probably played Football Manager and never considered much more. Him being an rear end in a top hat, in many ways, in elite sport, can be entirely understood. He has never even considered it as possible beyond dreaming. You could consider it an indulgent, "Poor me, now I'm earning money and am somewhat famous," griping from Hollywood, but I think Ted Lasso as a show is using Nate, in their very clued-into-emotions way, to show what a sudden stardom really does to people, whether in Hollywood, sports, (e-stardom,) or sports management.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m betting Nate is going to either get blamed for a tactical blunder or very publicly disagree with Ted or Roy’s tactical decision. Either way it’ll cause a substantial meltdown.

A substantial number of real life couples probably had the exact same fight Roy and Keeley had in the latest episode during the height of the COVID work from home months.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He's definitely feeding off the praise people give him. It wasn't until he saw that lovely twitter comment that he started being a real rear end in a top hat to the new kit man.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I just can't believe how long he went without seeing a negative comment.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Noticed in the credits that Will's last name is Kitman.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

He's definitely feeding off the praise people give him. It wasn't until he saw that lovely twitter comment that he started being a real rear end in a top hat to the new kit man.

He was being an rear end in a top hat to the new kit man from the first scene of the season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Hughlander posted:

He was being an rear end in a top hat to the new kit man from the first scene of the season.

Yes, but he kicked it up a notch when he saw negative feedback.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I know this is basically the Ted Lasso thread, but the first two episodes of See S2 have been pretty good. It's clear they got a budget increase from season 1, as the sets and special effects are a big step up, and the fights have some extra gore. Bautista is good in it, especially when he gets to be really cruel to Momoa. And I still think this show is Momoa's best acting by far.

It is kind of funny how noticeably older the two actors playing the kids are, though. Especially Kofun.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

I know this is basically the Ted Lasso thread, but the first two episodes of See S2 have been pretty good. It's clear they got a budget increase from season 1, as the sets and special effects are a big step up, and the fights have some extra gore. Bautista is good in it, especially when he gets to be really cruel to Momoa. And I still think this show is Momoa's best acting by far.

It is kind of funny how noticeably older the two actors playing the kids are, though. Especially Kofun.
Skimming this post, I read the bolded as "Season 2" and assumed that you were also using this as "basically the Ted Lasso thread."

I got increasingly confused from "special effects," to "fights," to "gore," momentarily thought that "Bautista" was the name of Danny's actor and finally hit a psychic wall at "Momoa."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ted Lasso new ep:

- They dragged out the Sam/Rebecca reveal, but loved the unguarded compliments and Rebecca's reaction to just professionally shut that down. (And horror at "I groomed you!") Rooting for them but not sure how to feel ethically about them getting together!

- No ethical issues with Jamie punching his dad! Think it's good that Roy was the one who stepped up after. Reminds you of that thing another poster said about "he's not nice but he's kind". I also saw someone on Reddit draw a line between Phoebe's dad that Roy hated and recognising that in Jamie's dad.

- Film Crit Hulk predicted that Ted's father died in tragedy a while back. Think there was a throwaway line about him being dead in season 1, and a line in the darts scene about constantly being taken to bars growing up suggesting some darkness in that figure. Plus the obvious psychology behind the constant positivity.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Okay, that was a good episode.

Also just watching Nate learning the wrong lessons from all his interactions is a bit worrying and sad. The irony of Roy worrying about his interactions with his niece but not seeing it with Nate, for instance, or the bit in the locker room at the end.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Chairman Capone posted:

The queen continues to be the worst thing though. When that new lord guy goes "she is as clever and cunning as I remember" I could not tell if he was joking or not. Probably not! lol boots, hate it had to be him

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

shirunei posted:

The queen continues to be the worst thing though. When that new lord guy goes "she is as clever and cunning as I remember" I could not tell if he was joking or not. Probably not! lol boots, hate it had to be him

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen her in anything else so I can't tell if she's just not a great actor, or if she's meant to have every line reading come across as super stilted and wooden. The same with her characterization, if she's supposed to be taken as a super smart plotter or if everyone just gets fooled into thinking she is because of the fact that everything she does is really dumb and impulsive and they trick themselves into thinking she's playing 4-dimensional chess.

Also I just realized the new lord is Ichabod Crane from Sleepy Hollow.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been handily ignoring the Ted Lasso discourse these past few weeks largely because we had an episode like this coming up that would bring everything together and fix a lot of folks’ apparent issues. Really fantastic stuff that I hope quells some of the negativity.

And yep, Film Crit Hulk called that one perfectly. drat.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

VagueRant posted:

Ted Lasso new ep:

-

- No ethical issues with Jamie punching his dad! Think it's good that Roy was the one who stepped up after. Reminds you of that thing another poster said about "he's not nice but he's kind". I also saw someone on Reddit draw a line between Phoebe's dad that Roy hated and recognising that in Jamie's dad.

Yeah, this part was really good. I enjoyed that Beard stepped up to pull the dad out of the room, and the little "Watch your head" as he used the dad's head to open the door. Roy and Beard work really well together, which I was a little concerned about with two really stoic, tough guys being in the same kind of role.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
New Ted Lasso episode

The game/result was hilarious. After all the build up, I thought they were going to give them another huge win. The last minute confessions of the coaching staff was hilarious, esp Beard's.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
My hot take: Beard will die next ep.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Another great episode of Ted Lasso but I really cannot stand the Sam and Rebecca relationship.

Edit: Oh my God the description of next week's episode: After the semifinal, Beard sets out on an all-night odyssey through London in order to collect his thoughts.

I can't wait.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 10, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They need to get Vinnie Jones to reprise his role from euro trip

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Zero One posted:

Another great episode of Ted Lasso but I really cannot stand the Sam and Rebecca relationship.

Edit: Oh my God the description of next week's episode: After the semifinal, Beard sets out on an all-night odyssey through London in order to collect his thoughts.

I can't wait.
I fear this will be mostly non sequitur comedy nonsense but I desperately hope it's a full biographical deep dive on his character.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Zero One posted:

Agreed.

And Watching Jamie punch his dad was a fantastic scene and quite emotional. Loved that Roy came over to comfort him. Fantastic.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'd noticed a few episodes back that Jamie mispronounces Dani Rojas's name, he says "row jass". Seemed intentional, but I wasn't sure until he said (world's mildest spoiler alert) Jan Maas's name the same way in this episode. Weird choice! Wonder if that was scripted, or the actor brought that, or what. Jamie Tartt: never not a dick.

VagueRant posted:

Ted Lasso new ep:

- They dragged out the Sam/Rebecca reveal, but loved the unguarded compliments and Rebecca's reaction to just professionally shut that down. (And horror at "I groomed you!") Rooting for them but not sure how to feel ethically about them getting together!

I think it's kinda icky, though it certainly could be worse. Rebecca's not a very hands-on owner, so she's not shirking responsibility like if she was Sam's coach. And presumably Sam is rich from a year in the Premier League. But Rebecca absolutely controls his livelihood, she could end his contract and probably sully his name with the other owners if she wanted to, whereas he can't do anything to her.

I hope it doesn't last, or somehow turns mildly bad. Maybe the paparazzo will make an appearance?

I was thinking about whether it'd feel more gross if their genders were flipped (answer: a little, I guess?), and wondered if the show was doing a "well why's it ok when male owners date female players", but I dunno if any women's leagues have sleazy rich men owners?

I liked making Doctor Sharon a loner. For some reason I assumed she'd be well-adjusted with a lot of friends etc. but if she's an in-demand sports psychologist travelling around to different teams every season, and keeps such firm work/life boundaries, it would be hard to make friends!

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve been handily ignoring the Ted Lasso discourse these past few weeks largely because we had an episode like this coming up that would bring everything together and fix a lot of folks’ apparent issues. Really fantastic stuff that I hope quells some of the negativity.

The Xmas episode is absolutely a series low point, though I admit it holds up better when it's not making you wait another week for the main story. Everything else has been great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
British people are pretty famous for not being able to pronounce things, even in their own language.

Edit: especially in their own language

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 11, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Fill-et steak. Pie-ella.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Escobarbarian posted:

And yep, Film Crit Hulk called that one perfectly. drat.

Jason Snell mentioned the thing with his dad was likely suicide a while back too. Not sure who was first, but wild that the writers are actually going there.

E:

VagueRant posted:

I fear this will be mostly non sequitur comedy nonsense but I desperately hope it's a full biographical deep dive on his character.

Same. Beard as a character has always only even gotten non-sequitur jokes that work like a tiny peek into his life that happens outside of what we see in the show. Jason Snell has also mentioned that he imagines the writers have been writing an entirely separate show, covering the same period of tim we see in Ted Lasso, but with Beard as the main character.

After this last episode, it’d be crazy if they just threw away the opportunity to focus on Beard for once.

Wild that they also need to continue the “morning after” storylines for both Ted/Sharon and Sam/Rebecca. And they aren’t tied to a strict 30 minute episode as we now see.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 11, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

sam nooo

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For a different Sam related thing: LOL at Sam making such a stand against the oil company, and then apparently just never giving it another thought until his dad calls him from Nigeria to tell him the company has been kicked out of the country. You'd think he would maybe be keeping up on that. Also who knew that all it took for a major multi-national company to get evicted from a country is a single press conference from a 21 year old player on a mid-tier football team?

Also is the Sam actor really 21? That seems really young for both the actor and the character.

On latest episode of See, the leader of the Guardians that was introduced feels really jarring, like she wandered in out of a Joss Whedon script. But Bautista and Momoa and Alfre Woodard continue to do really good work. I also like the addition of Wren, for a secondary character I feel surprisingly invested in her.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

For a different Sam related thing: LOL at Sam making such a stand against the oil company, and then apparently just never giving it another thought until his dad calls him from Nigeria to tell him the company has been kicked out of the country. You'd think he would maybe be keeping up on that.

As you might remember someone informing him and him the acting on a whim was the only reason this happened in the first place.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

As you might remember someone informing him and him the acting on a whim was the only reason this happened in the first place.

Yeah, and the reason he did that is because once informed, it was an incredibly important issue for both him and his loved ones, so it's odd that he apparently completely forgot about it after making that enormous gesture. It's one of a number of things this season where characters have major developments in an episode that then are completely forgotten moving forward.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Some website says the actor turned 24 in April, so close enough! Surprised to see people are so against the Sam/Rebecca relationship. My only issue is the employer relationship there. Their chemistry was mostly offscreen on the Bantr app which is kinda bad, but I'd root for them.

Although I NEED to see Keeley's reaction to it!

I do think the oil company plotline was given way too easy and clean an answer and it's distractingly unrealistic. Taking a stand was enough. But I guess that scene was mainly just there to facilitate the dad vs "dad" comparison for Jamie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress I love Ted Lasso so much, and it’s my happy escape thing on tv.

And then last night the show hits me with a line of dialogue that hit me like it was personally targeted. loving brutal.

My dad killed himself when I was 16.