Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Andrigaar posted:

I think I'm gonna have to check a FAQ for the TDE in Nocturne. I grabbed three candelabras to pop the lock on the Third Kalpa (two riders and some bloke with an annoying trumpet), but it turns out there's actually an order to placing them and I can't find the NPC that tells me where I need to go to and whom I need to kill there.

You're missing one of the riders, Trumpeter is for the 4th Kalpa. The NPC that tells you where the fiends are is in a small room on the east side of the first floor of the 1st kalpa. She is a cat looking lady named Kamala

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
They confirmed the director of SMTV and it's the director of the Etrian Odyssey series, who was also a scenario writer for Nocturne and Raidou Vs The Soulless Army

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1430656622167269381

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

They confirmed the director of SMTV and it's the director of the Etrian Odyssey series, who was also a scenario writer for Nocturne and Raidou Vs The Soulless Army

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1430656622167269381

A different direction for sure, but I'm pretty excited. Souless managed to keep up the Tension the whole way through in a real interesting way.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Re the Hijiri theory I think it's important to remember that we actually have an origin point for the theory-- Ian Kelley's FAQ for Nocturne, which I think is a lot of why it's a theory that's not really a thing in the Japanese community, afaik. I'm also pretty sure he's disavowed it since, on these very forums.

It's a neat enough notion to noodle over, though for me I'm really really firmly in the 'only 1 and 2 are connected' camp personally. I really get annoyed when people try and pass it off as a canonical thing though, which happens a fair bit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

neongrey posted:

It's a neat enough notion to noodle over, though for me I'm really really firmly in the 'only 1 and 2 are connected' camp personally. I really get annoyed when people try and pass it off as a canonical thing though, which happens a fair bit.

Wow, just leaving IMAGINE out in the cold like that, huh?

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

:airquote:Patiently awaiting them Persona announcements :airquote:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Item Getter posted:

You're missing one of the riders, Trumpeter is for the 4th Kalpa. The NPC that tells you where the fiends are is in a small room on the east side of the first floor of the 1st kalpa. She is a cat looking lady named Kamala

Been two weeks. Found the NPC (thanks), did the menorah hunting, and then had a miserable time playing cat and mouse in the third Kalpa with a moving teleporter chasing me. Not too frustrating, but just enough that I didn't enjoy it.
So I got through that and into the fourth Kalpa a week ago and haven't played since.

Also the thread wasn't kidding, there's way more story down there. Or just the game's story is down there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I beat this White guy entirely by buffing his attack, lowering his defense, and repelling his phys attacks back at him.

SMTIV owns.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's a video on YouTube for Strange Journey where Mem Aleph gets owned by a super low-level team fused to repel everything.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Low Level Repel demons is how I beat Mem Aleph.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

Low Level Repel demons is how I beat Mem Aleph.

No Shame Bro, It's a very effective strategy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

His katana wide open.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok so the spirit in the rock wants me to offer Hope on a Chalice. How am I supposed to get back into Mikado so I can behead Hope?

I joke. SMTIVA takes place in the Neutral Ending path, right? Interesting.

Edit:

Is this supposed to be a veiled reference to the Apocalypse protagonist? Or someone that'll come into play in SMTIV soon?

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 7, 2021

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ok so the spirit in the rock wants me to offer Hope on a Chalice. How am I supposed to get back into Mikado so I can behead Hope?

Edit:

Is this supposed to be a veiled reference to the Apocalypse protagonist? Or someone that'll come into play in SMTIV soon?

i always assumed it was flynn's previous incarnation

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

yeah, Apocalypse starts right where you are now (it also, kind of humorously, is really open about the setting's backstory, as opposed to 4 being really cagey with it unless you go Neutral)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy gently caress, Beezelbub/Baal is hard as gently caress. Crit kills my MC and another demon before I even get a chance to do anything.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Of the available quests I think I did that one dead last despite how early on I got it. Kept getting wrecked, doing a few quests, coming back, getting wrecked, doing some other things, repeat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hahaha. So I was looking where to go next and found an old Gamefaqs post where someone thought they hosed themselves over because they fused Masakado.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I finished SMTIV. Great game! I'd definitely do a NG+ if I didn't have a bunch of other games to play and SMTV around the corner. So I started up SMTIVA. What's the general consensus on it? I'm noticing some of the QOL which is nice. And so far it seems to be filling in a lot more lore from SMTIV which is cool. But I get the feeling that having a side sequel game to IV will contradict the whole reincarnation cycle theme.

Another big change I noticed, is that demon skills can also have a multiplyer like the MC now. That's cool. But when doing a fusion I noticed that the result would change a skill to -3. How does all that work?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

Another big change I noticed, is that demon skills can also have a multiplyer like the MC now. That's cool. But when doing a fusion I noticed that the result would change a skill to -3. How does all that work?

The element modifiers are tied to the specific demon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah, I think I see now.

This demon is weak to elec so zio would be -3.

What would happen to that -3 zio if I fused this demon to something that isn't weak to elec?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah, I think I see now.

What would happen to that -3 zio if I fused this demon to something that isn't weak to elec?

They're just their own thing. Like a demon will have it's own stats, its own element resistances, and now its own elemental modifiers/affinity. Being weak to electricity and having a -3 modifier is just a thematic connection not mechanically connected.

So if you fused a new demon, it would have its own unique affinity.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

So I started up SMTIVA. What's the general consensus on it?

Excellent gameplay, cringey story and characters.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah, I think I see now.

look right below the stats - that 'Skill Affinity' section tells you what that demon is good and bad at.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spermando posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that the dialogue so far lacks the certain gravitas that IV had so far.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Spermando posted:

Disagreed. I thought the story was way better, and the cast while not perfect are allowed to at least have a personality and bounce off eachother.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Spermando posted:

Absolutely not. 4A's characters are miles better than 4's.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The big mistake in 4A was not having the shopkeeper say "make sure you bring more macca next time". Iconic line

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
SMTIV:Ey, I'm trading heeere!
SMTIVA: Next time, bring more money.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Saagonsa posted:

Absolutely not. 4A's characters are miles better than 4's.

Damning with faint praise

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Characters in this game are so schizophrenic. In Strange Journey they're the opposite of a Persona character; they're not dumb and naïve for the sake of creating mysteries. I liked the characters in 4 because they were a trope that you don't see often, which is indoctrinated soldiers dropped in a setting which challenges their beliefs. Then in IV:A, everyone is a Persona character. I was also surprised to see what Dagda sounded like in Japanese. Over there he's a wise, soft-spoken old man. Over here he's a gruff Irish edgelord. I prefer the latter, but it's such a far cry from the original.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

4a would have benefited from something like desurvivor 2's fate system (or persona's social links if you're a philistine) to flesh the cast out a little better.

(4 could have benefited from jonny and wally having actual character development instead of them just being like "i like the chaos option/i like the law option" at every story event and then suddenly being all "i will now support doing something that seems wildly out of character compared to how i've behaved previously")

Anyway here's to 5, don't gently caress it up.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
They're just very different games tonally. I think it's really interesting to take what's basically a deep dive into the feel of Tokyo after it's been given that hope but hoo boy is 4A some tonal whiplash after the formal, slightly archaic (which fits really nicely with the environment you come from in 4) and generally bleak feel of 4. I think it's appropriate to where and how 4A steps in, but I also went straight from 4 into 4A (both replays) today and hooo boy had I forgotten what a sharp curve it is.

Spermando posted:

Characters in this game are so schizophrenic.

I get what you mean by this but I'd appreciate if you didn't use the word 'schizophrenic' that way.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

Damning with faint praise

It's good.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I talked to someone about this just yesterday, I feel like in addition to the big switch towards comedy in P4/5, I also think that almost every character feels like they were vat-grown for the purpose of you liking them. P3 had a ton of characters that you were not particularly supposed to like, or at least not in nearly the same way the game clearly wants you to like Makoto or Futaba. Makoto does fist of the north star stuff and summons a motorcycle and they name her Queen, and then they...also do that schtick with Haru by making her love doing the combat violence. They were trying REALLY hard with Futaba, too, and Hifumi/Yosuke have similar exaggerated quirks.

It stands as a really stark contrast with the games that don't do this, where the characters are much more normal. And I think that's one of the big differences between 4 and 4A. Pretty much every character in 4 is basically just a normal person and doesn't have any endearing personality quirks (except Isabeau who has the romance novel thing), and most discussions are very matter-of-fact. They have personalities, but they almost never say anything quotable, you know? Meanwhile P4/5 is full of all sorts of screenshot-bait. Same with Strange Journey - almost nobody says anything super memorable, it's mostly people having normal conversations about what to do next.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Devil Survivor 3 pls

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sam Faust posted:

Devil Survivor 3 pls

Yes this

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

, but they almost never say anything quotable, you know?

SSSuch is a samurai skill

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sam Faust posted:

Devil Summoner 3 pls

Fixed because Im the one weirdo that loved that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked the anime dumbasses in 4A