Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Shelby's hair works a lot better in animation than live action. I don't know why that sticks out in my mind but it does.

e: weird hair snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So while I hated the Doopler thing, I will concede that Richard Kind did sell the poo poo out of it and was basically the perfect voice.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

gently caress that’s awful

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

galenanorth posted:

It was a repeat of "The Trouble with Tribbles", but I liked the beginning and "it's a lot easier to not be nervous around people being actively mean toward you" resolution

True. Like the doopler I have an anxiety disorder, so when his own anxiety keeps making things worse and worse I was like, "yep that's how it is". I have other people in my life with anxiety disorders, and when the bridge crew was exhausted after a week of walking on eggshells to avoid setting off the doopler that felt very real too.

Someone needs to work on anti-anxiety meds for dooplers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MikeJF posted:

My understanding is that a lot of the car chase was actually reference-based humour - specifically that it works better if you remember the blues brothers mall chase.

I was waiting for Mariner to say "new shuttlecraft are in early this year".

Problematic Soup posted:

Also, I deeply appreciated the skant callback. Apparently, they’re still regulation uniforms. I think that in most cases, it looks like a crew has a wide variety of approved uniforms they can use, at least for certain functions.

Speaking of uniforms, the Cerritos dress/party uniforms are gorgeous. The white with striking contrast lines is baller as hell. I think it works better in animation than it would in live action because of the stark white they can get for extra contrast.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So the Doopler homeworld would have to look like the planet from that one episode of TOS where the planet was so overpopulated, everyone was just standing around and couldn't move, right?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FlamingLiberal posted:

So the Doopler homeworld would have to look like the planet from that one episode of TOS where the planet was so overpopulated, everyone was just standing around and couldn't move, right?

Nah, they just need some cranky dooplers yelling at everyone. Why they didn't tell starfleet about that quirk is a mystery.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

nice giant gunpla

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nah, they just need some cranky dooplers yelling at everyone. Why they didn't tell starfleet about that quirk is a mystery.

Well you see, that would be quite embarrassing. I imagine it would even be extremely embarrassing if they dooplicated before they finished telling Starfleet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

pik_d posted:

Well you see, that would be quite embarrassing. I imagine it would even be extremely embarrassing if they dooplicated before they finished telling Starfleet.

True, true. Well now they know that future doopler transport missions should have a nice cranky Tellarite assigned as chaperone.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

At the very least I appreciate the Doopler stuff for reminding me of the duplicator box storyline from Calvin & Hobbes for the first time in decades.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe the doopler world is a hellscape based on The Prestige

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
One thing I appreciate about this season is how low the stakes have been. The world isn't ending, the ship isn't under attack, and no warp cores larger than 2.5cm are about to breach. I think the writer's appreciate that when you don't have to constantly raise the stakes, you have room to let your setting and characters breathe.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like low-stakes because after so many high stakes it literally feels like the Federation is hanging onto bare survival at a multiversal level and how does it even still exist?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This talk of the dooplers being from a different show reminds me that aliens in Star trek are kind of boring. We need more trebles and poo poo

Instead of mostly human

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was disappointed that we only got small parts of two episodes of Boimler on the Titan this season

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

We've already had ensign Peanut Hamper, but she suuuucked. We've got ensign Hairy Kzin, who I'm dying to learn more about. Maybe if we're really lucky we'll get a Lt. Cmdr RumbleRumble, the horta science officer.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 11, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
How long does an exocomp's battery last? Peanut Hamper's probably dead by now.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Someone tweaked the scene from Picard while keeping it seamless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B201soFDmZw

Good lord Patrick Stewart is old

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Once you improve the models you realize everything else about that sequence is awful too. There's nothing happening, just the camera slowly panning around a motionless effects shot and actors sitting in chairs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

Good lord Patrick Stewart is old

And yet probably still in better shape than some people 30 years his junior somehow.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Once you improve the models you realize everything else about that sequence is awful too. There's nothing happening, just the camera slowly panning around a motionless effects shot and actors sitting in chairs.

Nobody even actually talks to each other either - Riker just gives a speech and then Evil Romulan lady who has dedicated her life and is willing to sacrifice everything to destroy synths... gives up and goes home.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Facebook Aunt posted:

True. Like the doopler I have an anxiety disorder, so when his own anxiety keeps making things worse and worse I was like, "yep that's how it is". I have other people in my life with anxiety disorders, and when the bridge crew was exhausted after a week of walking on eggshells to avoid setting off the doopler that felt very real too.

Someone needs to work on anti-anxiety meds for dooplers.

I know this well. A friend of mine said I could talk myself from a parking ticket to the electric chair due to my issues. Thing is most people don't know how to deal with someone like that and end up making it worse.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Horta and Medusan crewmembers when?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Arglebargle III posted:

You just described at least half of all Star Trek

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Shyrka posted:

Horta and Medusan crewmembers when?

You're getting a Medusan when Prodigy premiers.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Arglebargle III posted:

To be fair, I've been watching a lot of Voyager and there are so, so many scenes on the bridge where there's an explosion sound, Kim says "we're trapped in some kind of energy rift", Janeway says "Tuvok, modulate the deflector to compensate," and Tuvok says "modulating... we're free of the rift," and that's it. No shots of the exterior, no sparks from the walls, barely even a camera shake. Actors sitting in chairs reading lines isn't good by any measure, and we really should expect more from such a high-budget show, but it is very much in Star Trek's DNA.

e:

Drink-Mix Man posted:

You just described at least half of all Star Trek

:hmmyes:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

MikeJF posted:

The Vancouver was a big-boy prestige starfleet, but it was explicitly said to be purposed for large-scale engineering projects, so it was a big boy auxiliary ship.

It was very deliberately designed as the hero version of the Cerritos - it has all the same design elements, the deflector pod, the same exterior stylings, etc, but on the Cerritos it's all straight lines and circles and awkward arrangement, whereas on the Parliament they're all integrated well and have curving struts that flow into the design. The Vancouver was made by ILM to lead the series and took ages while the Cerritos is something the in-show model shop did their best at but they had a weekend to kitbash out something from existing parts and had to use cruder shapes but it's okay, it just sits in the background behind the real ships.

And of course the 'sets' are the same but the ones on the Vancouver are more plush, while the Cerritos sets are just redresses of the Vancouver with slightly shittier color schemes because they swapped out all the fabrics and put some clunky bits around the set.

And the mission and role in Starfleet for the Vancouver is the same as Cerritos but more - the Cerritos is the ship that sets up a comm relay for a newly contacted planet, the Vancouver is the ship that sets up the system-wide FTL networking for the Dyson Sphere you just found or leads the mission to blow up a moon.

The Parliament class is the current generation auxiliary while the California is a pre-Galaxy generation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The California looks like it would belong during the TNG era

That Vancouver one feels post-FC to me

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

The California looks like it would belong during the TNG era

That Vancouver one feels post-FC to me

The Vancouver's registry number suggests it was built around the same time that Voyager was.

e: Actually it's older than both Voyager and the Cerritos. Voyager is NCC-74656, the Cerritos is NCC-75567, and the Vancouver is NCC-70492.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 12, 2021

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Determining ship ages from registry numbers is pretty iffy, since you've got things like the FC ships (Akira, Steamrunner, Norway, Saber) that are thought to be a new generation of designs, but all their registry numbers are in the 61xxx - 64xxx range (or even down in the 52xxx's for the Steamrunner) which would make them about as old as Nebulas and most of the other Wolf 359 ships, or stuff like the registry error on the Prometheus model. I've just come to believe that batches of registry numbers are handed out with every new construction order placed, and that the actual time the ships enter service doesn't have much to do with the numerical value of the registry.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Starfleet often seems to prefer updating the internals on a decades-old design and continuing to commission new ships in those classes rather than retiring the whole class completely and starting over from scratch, which is probably why the California looks like it was probably developed somewhere between the Ambassador and Galaxy generations but the Cerritos has a fairly recent registry.

Speaking of the Ambassador, it would be really nice to see one of those on Lower Decks eventually. Same with all those other TNG designs that went missing around the switch from physical to CG models.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Just realised that Jack Quaid is both Boimler and Hughie of The Boys. This is dope

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm not taking anything registry for granted. Cerritos has a recent registry but McMahan said she's old and was refitted to her current Galaxy-era-ish look, and dialogue onscreen says she's pretty old and much older than the Vancouver, with a similar registry. And two of the Calis we saw have a registry starting with 1.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

MikeJF posted:

I'm not taking anything registry for granted. Cerritos has a recent registry but McMahan said she's old and was refitted to her current Galaxy-era-ish look, and dialogue onscreen says she's pretty old and much older than the Vancouver, with a similar registry. And two of the Calis we saw have a registry starting with 1.

Wasn’t the Solvang a 12XXX registry which aligns with most of the Ambassadors we saw in TNG? Makes sense for the class to be that old.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

MillennialVulcan posted:

If you're going to stretch a 10 second joke out into several minutes over the course of the episode, Richard Kind is exactly the person you want having that comedic freak-out, he carried the hell out of that gag and I enjoyed it the whole way through.

Martytoof posted:

So while I hated the Doopler thing, I will concede that Richard Kind did sell the poo poo out of it and was basically the perfect voice.

I wanted to say that. This had to be a case of, "We want X actor, we could get him for one episode, what'll we have him do?" rather than, "We have X character, what actor do we get?" Just rides perfectly with the kind of characters he's famous for playing.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wasn’t the Solvang a 12XXX registry which aligns with most of the Ambassadors we saw in TNG? Makes sense for the class to be that old.

Easy way to handwave the whole issue would be for the showrunners to say that whole ranges of ship registries are blocked off for the various different shipyards.

So you get someplace like Utopia Planitia that cranks ships out quickly in the NCC-7XXXX range, versus a smaller shipyard that had the NCC-52XXX range reserved and is still working out of that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure anyone at Paramount really knows about this "issue"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Discovery’s registry number is 1031 because Bryan Fuller liked Halloween lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Overall production must get ramped up and scaled down according to need, so it's even harder to map time periods to registry numbers if like a full 10k range of Mirandas was rushed out the door to meet wartime deployments over a two-year span, but the preceding twenty years was mostly filled with a slow burn of science ships.

Starfleet also slaps NCC numbers on everything larger than a shuttlecraft, so if you've got every station and capital ship carrying at least a few runabouts that's going to inflate pretty quickly, especially when they keep getting lost.