Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thank you all for the recommendations. I've thrown them onto the to-do list and peeked at a couple and Witch Hat Atelier certainly seems quite nice based on the first chapter.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's not isekai, but how about this?

Wasn't this a one shot or an art fad or something a few years back? Grew from that concept I assume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Yup, here is a link.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

In the realm of Korean manhwas, there's...

The Tyrant's Tranquilizer is one where the FL is a witch... who remembers the story is about her sister getting revenge for her death, and tries (poorly) to avert that.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Any good Isekai where the MC is a Witch? It doesn't have to be super cliche boil boil toil and trouble witch, something like 300 years Max Level killing Slimes is fine.

I'm just in a witch mood for some reason.

Tricks Dedicated to Witches is great if you're also interested in both historical witch hunting trivia and behind-the-scenes stage magic minutia.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MrGreenShirt posted:

Tricks Dedicated to Witches is great if you're also interested in both historical witch hunting trivia and behind-the-scenes stage magic minutia.

And also, titties, because it’s shounen.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tricks Dedicated to Witches is also completed, although it isn't fully translated. The author couldn't come up with enough magic tricks to fill out 100 chapters, so they ended it early.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
100% the correct decision.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'd take 100 chapters of Helga doing cool sword poses with a distant stare on her face

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

golden bubble posted:

Tricks Dedicated to Witches is also completed, although it isn't fully translated. The author couldn't come up with enough magic tricks to fill out 100 chapters, so they ended it early.

I was wondering if it got axed or something.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How many chapters did it end up with?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

iirc 30 chapters, with it ending on a "part 1 completed"

The author, Shizumu WATANABE has said that maybe someday in the future he'll be able to continue it?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
He needs to binge Fool Us for a few seasons first.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah it ran for 30 chapters and I'm disappointed it had to end.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Do you like isekai? Do you like xianxia genre? Do you like isekai protagonists who, gasp, retain modern morality including but not limited to:
  • Thinking slavery is bad
  • Thinking sexually assaulting women is bad
  • Thinking cheating on your significant other is bad
  • Thinking assaulting and challenging random people to death matches is bad
  • Thinking slaughtering random people just because they don't have qi or whatever it is cultivators have is bad
Do you like protagonists who are just swell dudes who want to do good by their friends and family? Do you like protagonists who look at the sociopathic way of life cultivators have and decided "gently caress this" and went off to build a farm? Do you like a colorful supporting cast who act like real people and have their own goals and drives? Do you like chickens?

Then I recommend Beware of Chicken

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/beware-of-chicken-xianxia.910799/

quote:

In which a transmigrator decides the only winning move is to get the hell out of dodge.

I've really enjoyed reading this. Very good combination of humor, fighting, and wholesomeness. The isekai part gets attention because the protagonist obviously wants to bring in some modern things, but it doesn't overshadow it because he's realistically limited to what he knows as a mostly average joe and some concepts were already known by the world. While the protagonist just wants to build a farm, it doesn't fade into "nothing happens at all" mediocrity because attention is given to how hard just being a farmer is (even if being superhuman helps a ton), as well as the conflicts that come from wandering cultivators. The characters are all fun to read about and their interactions are both very human and also great.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Wait... is it a story about a food cultivator having to deal with martial arts cultivators?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, it's about a farming cultivator who peaces out from all the usual cultivator bullshit to go farm. it's extremely canadian.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

skaianDestiny posted:

Do you like isekai? Do you like xianxia genre? Do you like isekai protagonists who, gasp, retain modern morality including but not limited to:
  • Thinking slaughtering random people just because they don't have qi or whatever it is cultivators have is bad
Do you like protagonists who are just swell dudes who want to do good by their friends and family? Do you like protagonists who look at the sociopathic way of life cultivators have and decided "gently caress this" and went off to build a farm? Do you like a colorful supporting cast who act like real people and have their own goals and drives? Do you like chickens?

I've really enjoyed reading this. Very good combination of humor, fighting, and wholesomeness. The isekai part gets attention because the protagonist obviously wants to bring in some modern things, but it doesn't overshadow it because he's realistically limited to what he knows as a mostly average joe and some concepts were already known by the world. While the protagonist just wants to build a farm, it doesn't fade into "nothing happens at all" mediocrity because attention is given to how hard just being a farmer is (even if being superhuman helps a ton), as well as the conflicts that come from wandering cultivators. The characters are all fun to read about and their interactions are both very human and also great.

It's also on Royal Road if you prefer to read stuff over there, and it's real good so thanks for recommending it!

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
its also on Royal Road if you want a different way to read it.
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/39408/beware-of-chicken

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wait... is it a story about a food cultivator having to deal with martial arts cultivators?

It's like the farming isekai with the mermaid and the lich and the dragon, but if the OP guys were just the pets.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's extremely canadian.

the protagonist posted:

It was also extremely cheap. I had got this place for a steal. Man, gently caress property prices back home

wow you weren't kidding!

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

skaianDestiny posted:

Wow, I was just going to post about this - I'm a bit into volume 2, and it's been keeping the momentum and humor up very well!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is absolutely the most 2nd generation chinese canadian thing I've ever read and I can already picture the author in my head. He's enough of a weeb that he referenced Sengoku Komachi in an early chapter and he made the lead of Apothecary Diaries his waifu.

Anyway if I could describe it in another way, the MC wants to play Stardew Valley, everyone else including his farm animals want to play Cultivator Simulator, and his farm animals have a side hobby of playing Rimworld.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

oh hey, since we are talking about webserial LitRPGs, I had been reading Listening to "He who fights with monsters" and I quite liked the first 2 audiobooks.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

egg tats posted:

wow you weren't kidding!

Talk about the unrealistic power fantasies of isekais.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

chapter 2 posted:

Sure, I could convert them into pills, but I was extremely suspect about all the pills these people choked back. I’m half convinced the reason every cultivator is so drat nuts is because of all drugs they did.

This is going to be enjoyable.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Is there anywhere i can read about what cultivators are? I'm quite lost at this concept of cultivators

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Going by nothing more than the on-going Amazing Cultivation Simulator LP, it is sort of like a taoism themed pyramid scheme with immortality and godhood at the black diamond tier, accompanied by waves of shounen style power ramp.

Behold.

There's also wiki article but that doesn't discuss feces-related enlightenment. Caveat.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Eeepies posted:

Is there anywhere i can read about what cultivators are? I'm quite lost at this concept of cultivators

Forge of Destiny is a good introduction, but basically imagine a cross between Shaolin monks, Goku, D&D mages and drug addicts.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The drug addict thing always throws me.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Forge of Destiny has the problem that its a CYOA forum adventure, and the choices the forum users make are either hyper-optimized for the game rules the person who wrote it made it up, or they just choose the lamest and most boring plot option because they want to ship the protagonist together with a character.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Forge of Destiny has the problem that its a CYOA forum adventure, and the choices the forum users make are either hyper-optimized for the game rules the person who wrote it made it up, or they just choose the lamest and most boring plot option because they want to ship the protagonist together with a character.

Yeah, I read and enjoyed Forge of Destiny, and it was a decent introduction to cultivation as a genre, but it would have been so much better if it was an actual planned story instead of putting some polish on a CYOA thread.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I had been putting off Salvos for awhile, since most descriptions made it sound like a cookie cutter LitRPG. I have been pleasantly surprised by it. The author is some sort of philosophy nerd and all the best jokes come from translating philosophical ideas into terms that normal people can understand. It’s got a good mix of humor and action.

Siegkrow posted:

oh hey, since we are talking about webserial LitRPGs, I had been reading Listening to "He who fights with monsters" and I quite liked the first 2 audiobooks

Good luck!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
salvos has one of those standard litrpg oh-so-quirky protagonists who mostly comes off as a huge chore to interact with and there's never any particular reason why people put up with her poo poo.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So what is a cultivator? I don’t actually know the origin of the term/trope

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in theory folks who cultivate immortality, in practice it's just a pseudo-ancient china aesthetic for litrpg webnovels.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

It's from Taoist internal alchemy/neidan. The idea is your body is a "cauldron" in which you "cultivate" "elixir": an elaborate metaphor of spiritual/physical/etc health advancement as alchemical work. At the end of the process you are immortal.

As gimme the GOD drat candy said the connection from Taoism to what people actually do in novels is a little tenuous, especially when they go all in on it in xianxia. Though there are definitely some related aspects, like all the "pills" and elaborate charms.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

thetoughestbean posted:

It was explained to me like this.

Imagine wizards. Except unlike Dungeons and Dragons wizards, they don't get stronger from killing monsters; they get stronger from meditating and consuming priceless drugs made from rare ingredients. The more powerful they get, the longer they live, with the most powerful ones becoming immortal.

So they just want to meditate 24/7, and do this by essentially setting up a pyramid scheme. At the very top you might have a super wizard cultivator, who lives up on a mountain and descends once a century to dispense a few words of wisdom to the cultivators one level down so they remember he's alive and keep hauling stuff for him up the mountain. The lower levels do the actual work of running the sect, producing the special drugs, etc, all the way down to the outer disciples who handle things like food, clothes, buildings and dealing with the ordinary humans, in return for which the next level up guys reluctantly take occasional breaks from their meditation to teach lessons to the outer disciples about the basics of cultivation.

Cultivation books generally involve someone becoming an outer disciple, but because they are extra special protagonists they become powerful far quicker than everyone else.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Want a Cultivator manga with the pace of Kaiji.

15 chapters just on one hour of meditation for the protagonist's initial journey and only 100 Billion to go to ascend to the First Stage.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bremen posted:

Cultivation books generally involve someone becoming an outer disciple, but because they are extra special protagonists they become powerful far quicker than everyone else.

Also because they steal everything and backstab everyone, and get really mad when anyone steals from or backstabs them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
this whole setting sounds really lame and unwholesome, why are there a billion of these series?