Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

For some reason I can't explain, I love reading the Quora digest emails I get every day. It's always either some reasonable question that gets insane answers, or vice versa.

Today I got this one, and I was wondering if this guy's numbers check out. He never provides any sources, of course, and I don't know how you'd break the death numbers by party without a lot of assumptions.

This sounds like ethically repugnant horseshit, and neither side is currently doing much to convince me they give a poo poo about coronavirus in this country.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It certainly has an air of truthiness about it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Today I got this one, and I was wondering if this guy's numbers check out. He never provides any sources, of course, and I don't know how you'd break the death numbers by party without a lot of assumptions.

He probably just combined the stats on party membership, vaccination rates by party, and vaccination rates among covid casualties. It's just a correlation, so file it alongside "demographic drift" in the pile of things that promise to save the world automatically without real activism and effort

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Professor Beetus posted:

This sounds like ethically repugnant horseshit, and neither side is currently doing much to convince me they give a poo poo about coronavirus in this country.

A dude posted:

It certainly has an air of truthiness about it

These were both my exact thoughts. It's horrible and ghoulish, but it's true.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Biden isn't doing what needs to be done on Covid because doing anything substantial will hurt the economy that matters much more to him and politicians than lives do.

Also, he was a senator for decades and nothing the senate likes doing more than doing nothing.

Don't need to do elaborate electoral math, it's money.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
There's a looooooot of complaining going on where I work about the vaccine mandate here in Ohio. Shouldn't be surprising since I had two coworkers who asked if I'd tried putting a magnet on my arm after ingot my shot in spring

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
Stopped by the front desk in my office to find our office manager spitting mad because she'd just learned she'd been written up for not turning in proof of vaccination or doing surveillance testing. Said she didn't know she was supposed to do either, which is...unlikely, given the volume of messaging we've gotten about it. Plus this lady's repeatedly gone to the hospital in the last month for unrelated reasons, so I'm guessing somebody's told her about the vaccine once or twice.

I wish in the moment I'd had the presence of mind to tell her that she's threatening the well-being of the various immunocompromised people coming through our office, but the best I could muster up in the moment that didn't involve profanity was "Did they at least give you information about how you can get vaccinated?" She waved a vax card at me with one dose marked the day prior. I guess that's as close as I'm getting to a win here?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bizarre Echo posted:

Stopped by the front desk in my office to find our office manager spitting mad because she'd just learned she'd been written up for not turning in proof of vaccination or doing surveillance testing. Said she didn't know she was supposed to do either, which is...unlikely, given the volume of messaging we've gotten about it. Plus this lady's repeatedly gone to the hospital in the last month for unrelated reasons, so I'm guessing somebody's told her about the vaccine once or twice.

I wish in the moment I'd had the presence of mind to tell her that she's threatening the well-being of the various immunocompromised people coming through our office, but the best I could muster up in the moment that didn't involve profanity was "Did they at least give you information about how you can get vaccinated?" She waved a vax card at me with one dose marked the day prior. I guess that's as close as I'm getting to a win here?

Ask her if she's getting her 5G signal yet.

Just kidding obviously, every vaccination is a victory at this point. :toot:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Professor Beetus posted:

Ask her if she's getting her 5G signal yet.

Just kidding obviously, every vaccination is a victory at this point. :toot:

Start chanting, "One of us... One of us" at her.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Bizarre Echo posted:

Hell yeah, the system works. This is how we get to 80%, 90%.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

CDC finally acknowledges N95 masks exist and can be used to protect yourself from covid!

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/types-of-masks.html

quote:

Updated the section on Masks that Meet a Standard
Added section about Respirators that Meet International Standards (e.g., KN95s)
Added considerations for use of NIOSH-approved respirators because the availability of NIOSH-approved N95 respirators has increased significantly over the last several months

quote:

Other examples include 1st, DL2, DL3, DS2, DS3, FFP2, FFP3, KN100, KP95, KP100, P2, P3, PFF2, PFF3, R95,
They try to list the common standards for 95% and 99.97% masks, but it's a huge list and including all of them that could be found in the US is hard. Notably missing from the list is KF94, which is one of the few ways to get child sized masks that are regulated by a government agency to meet the claimed filtration standard.

Like even a child sized N95 level mask can't be certified as N95 in the US, because our mask regulation is for workplaces, and kids shouldn't be in workplaces that require respiratory protection. Except now they are being exposed to respiratory dangers in school, and we lack internal regulations to certify masks needed to protect them from that. (And any political will to protect them, but that's another issue.)

N95 tier masks are great, because they meet the protection level of the and risks and transmissibility presented by covid. Please wear them any time you're potentially sharing air with people.

Edit: Exhalation valves are called out in the cloth mask section, and the international section, but not in the NIOSH certified section. "Do NOT wear ... International respirators with exhalation valves or vents". This matches their existing study with NIOSH filtering face respirators that shows them being as effective at source control as cloth or surgical masks, but doesn't explicitly spell it out.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 11, 2021

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Scheduled to get my 3rd on Tuesday. A friend of a friend is a pharmacist and is sick of having to toss partly full vials of vaccine away at the end of the day. Provided there's a partial vial I'll be getting my booster then. If not, then another day. So we're not taking shots out of anyone else's arms, just getting what would otherwise be wasted.

Mrs Underbridge and I are both teachers, and even in my small private school we've already had a student test positive. She's in a public system, and so faces a lot more kids overall. Luckily we're in a state that mandates proper mask usage inschools, and my school has been really good so far with measures. Even so, we both would feel better protected with a booster.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

jetz0r posted:

CDC finally acknowledges N95 masks exist and can be used to protect yourself from covid!

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/types-of-masks.html

A month ago they made a subtle change to the worse page.

Now it only says that you shouldn’t wear ‘N95 respirators labeled as “surgical” or “medical”’.

So the ones at the hardware store are O.K. now, but don’t trumpet it from the rooftops. :ssh: We wouldn’t want to encourage people to take measures commensurate with the worst pandemic in living memory.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
MMWR on portable hepa filters: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7027e1.htm?s_cid=mm7027e1_w

CDC now recommending N95s "in some situations" now that shortages are gone: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/types-of-masks.html

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

For some reason I can't explain, I love reading the Quora digest emails I get every day. It's always either some reasonable question that gets insane answers, or vice versa.

Even if these numbers were true, a 640 margin a day is not enough to make a difference. Over a 150 days that just adds up to 96,000. Spread out over the whole country, that isn't flipping any state.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Bill Maher last Friday once again railed at the CDC for not talking about the connection between obesity and COVID deaths, but he totally ignores why food is the "3rd Rail" in American Politics.

So I wrote a letter to him: https://medium.com/weight-loss-truths/covid-and-obesity-an-open-letter-to-bill-maher-2bbf72df8102

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

On infection-acquired immunity and vaccine mandates: besides the fact that infection-acquired immunity is likely not as broad-based and vaccination offers clear benefits on top of prior infection there's a very obvious reason why it's not great public health policy to say "you have to either get vaccinated or infected, whichever"...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

VideoGameVet posted:

Bill Maher last Friday once again railed at the CDC for not talking about the connection between obesity and COVID deaths, but he totally ignores why food is the "3rd Rail" in American Politics.

So I wrote a letter to him: https://medium.com/weight-loss-truths/covid-and-obesity-an-open-letter-to-bill-maher-2bbf72df8102

Whoa, 78% of COVID deaths were overweight, in a country where....74% of adults are overweight. I think any Bayesian has to :thunk: at that apparent revelation.

It's a decent article, but you have a syntactic error in your opening sentence fwiw

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Whoa, 78% of COVID deaths were overweight, in a country where....74% of adults are overweight. I think any Bayesian has to :thunk: at that apparent revelation.

It's a decent article, but you have a syntactic error in your opening sentence fwiw

Thank you. And Grammery didn't catch it.

Fixed.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

TBF (for a second), obesity is associated with increased likelihood of hospitalization/ICU admission/death, and moreso in young adults. The overall relative risk is smaller because the risk gap is smaller for older folks who are the highest risk of hospitalization/death. The overall rates obscure the more specific trends, though it's also likely that comorbidities that are not necessarily sequelae account for a portion of the risk attributable to obesity. The RR is going to be an upper bound on any reduction in risk due to weight loss, etc, and the actual average effect would likely be much lower.

On the other hand, on the scale of the nation obesity absolutely cannot be addressed without addressing a shitload of underlying societal and economic problems and Maher is an rear end in a top hat man-baby with nothing to offer. And obviously on the scale of COVID right now, "eat better" is useless and "lose weight" isn't much better. Doubly-so in light of all of the structural issues VGV highlighted.

Anyone remember this horribly counter-productive public health campaign from 2012 [stigmatizing content warning]? This poo poo is worse than useless.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How seriously should I take these links considering the prevalence maps on the first one are self-reported obseity and the outcomes in the links go by BMI? I would assume COVID outcomes are most strongly dependent on cardiovascular health, which I can imagine is correlated with obesity but not necessarily causally linked to.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VideoGameVet posted:

Despite getting you a 3 day probe for posting it in YLLS (lol), this is excellent content for DND and I really wanted to highlight it. It's a great reminder that it's obnoxious to blame individuals for systemic and structural problems, even if we find them personally repugnant.

Also new OP looks pretty good right now if a bit lacking and got feedback that amounted to "pretty good," but I plan on rotating things out and updating and will try to always keep the updated date in the thread title. New thread goes up Monday at some point and we'll have a fresh Covid thread to poo poo up. :regd08:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 12, 2021

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
A big gently caress you to the Publix pharmacist that insisted that CDC guidelines say you can't give someone a Covid vaccine on the right arm "except for medical reasons".

Love to have my dominant arm rendered useless for no good reason.

I'm reading the CDC guidelines out of spite and can't find anything about it.

(no it isn't a big deal, I'm just salty).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That's not sinister at all.

:haw:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

A big gently caress you to the Publix pharmacist that insisted that CDC guidelines say you can't give someone a Covid vaccine on the right arm "except for medical reasons".

Lol I got asked which one I prefered each time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lol the directions to providers don’t mention arms at all. It’s an intramuscular injection and the deltoid is just a good first choice

https://www.fda.gov/media/144413/download

Same for Moderna, still under EUA “Administer the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine intramuscularly”, no mention of the arm.

https://www.fda.gov/media/144637/download

https://slate.com/technology/2021/02/can-you-get-the-vaccine-in-your-butt.html

Yes. Yes you can.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 13, 2021

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Wow, sinister

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Platystemon posted:

lol the directions to providers don’t mention arms at all. It’s an intramuscular injection and the deltoid is just a good first choice

https://www.fda.gov/media/144413/download

Same for Moderna, still under EUA “Administer the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine intramuscularly”, no mention of the arm.

https://www.fda.gov/media/144637/download

https://slate.com/technology/2021/02/can-you-get-the-vaccine-in-your-butt.html

Yes. Yes you can.

I genuinely wonder what the story is here. I know in industrial applications (especially when safety critical) we will give exactly one set of instructions when training people, and even if there is technically more than one “correct” way to do something those instructions should never be deviated from. This removes ambiguity and thus the potential for mishaps or work defects. I’m curious if they didn’t train pharm techs or something with exactly one correct way to administer the vaccine as a CYA sort of thing to prevent similar mistakes. IDK how common that sort of thing is in the medical field though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Clearly you need to find a more dexterous pharmacist

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

TheSlutPit posted:

I genuinely wonder what the story is here. I know in industrial applications (especially when safety critical) we will give exactly one set of instructions when training people, and even if there is technically more than one “correct” way to do something those instructions should never be deviated from. This removes ambiguity and thus the potential for mishaps or work defects. I’m curious if they didn’t train pharm techs or something with exactly one correct way to administer the vaccine as a CYA sort of thing to prevent similar mistakes. IDK how common that sort of thing is in the medical field though.

Pharm tech who has been giving COVID shots for one of the major US pharmacies speaking. My first question before the receiver sits down is which arm they want it in, and I adjust the sitting situation accordingly. Pharmacy workflow where they are more efficient by only giving left arm shots is something I would want no part of. Something fucky is going on there.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 13, 2021

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I was asked which arm I wanted no. 2 in, I picked the opposite arm I got for no. 1, was told I was an idiot for picking my dominant arm and she put it in the other. I was thankful.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i'm in canada although even prior vax in the states have been the same. i went to a mass clinic and it was set up, as you'd expect, with everything one way and each time i just asked if i could flip the chair around

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Question, though I don't know if there's an answer.

My best friend's husband has covid. He is vaccinated (don't know which shot), but very obese. As in, easily over 300. What are his chances, would you guess? I'm happy he's vaxxed but kinda fearful of his weight

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My best friend's husband has covid. He is vaccinated (don't know which shot), but very obese. As in, easily over 300. What are his chances, would you guess? I'm happy he's vaxxed but kinda fearful of his weight

no one in this thread should be making those sorts of analyses imo

it's a rough situation and i'm sorry, though, i'm sure it's a stressful thing

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Like nearly everyone, the most likely outcome will be that he will okay. He's at somewhat higher risk than other (vaccinated) peers, but the higher risk associated with obesity and even CVD are dwarfed by the effects of age and vaccination.

And sorry for the lovely situation :(

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 13, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

haveblue posted:

Clearly you need to find a more dexterous pharmacist

I think they’d need a sinister pharmacist to truly understand.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
She also incorrectly said the CDC doesn't recommend taking ibuprofen to relieve side-effects, but her two wrongs didn't make a right.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

She also incorrectly said the CDC doesn't recommend taking ibuprofen to relieve side-effects, but her two wrongs didn't make a right.

No that would take three lefts :haw:
:thejoke:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Don't make me close this thread early. :colbert:

I keed I keed, have your fun and :regd08:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So what's it mean when organizations claim that a booster is "unnecessary" without any further explanation? Does one only become "necessary" when the effectiveness of the existing doses drops below a certain level?

Because I would consider going from 90% to 95% extremely loving necessary myself.