Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

netwerk23 posted:

You know how planes have Linux-based systems that have a single 'server' and each seat-back unit is essentially a thin client? I'd like to do that for my car. One headless android box in the trunk with 4 remote screens. Each screen can pick a movie and play it. The trunk box has a drive with a ton of movies. No apps or internet, just movies.

Does such a thing exist commercially? I suppose I'd need a tablet with Ethernet for each location, on the same VLAN as the server box and a small switch. Some kind of app loaded on both sides. Plex? Also it needs to be very quick to resume from sleep.

if i was trying to do this i would probably see if there is a cheap tablet that one can load movies onto and then lock it down enough so that it only runs a video player app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

if i was trying to do this i would probably see if there is a cheap tablet that one can load movies onto and then lock it down enough so that it only runs a video player app

Yes, that was my original idea too and what I'll probably end up doing when I give up on this client-server idea. The only benefit of adding complexity is that I'll only have one place to store and update files, instead of 4 SD cards across 4 old tablets. I could even set up a mount point and push files to it while parked in the garage.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it would definitely be a cool spare time project, that's for sure

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
you can get an NEC UT880 for about $25, which is basically a cheap pre-rooted Android 4 tablet in office phone form factor

it uses power (and data) over Ethernet; you can probably bypass the PoE and feed it whatever it needs more directly, and hack it to come up however you want, fed over Ethernet from the server in the trunk

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
pretty much all tablets can play MP4s off a NAS, and can have kids mode that limits apps so you could have a network explorer app only

i don't know about a car NAS though and it's definitely not a thin client approach

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i like the idea of just doing a bunch of plex terminals tbqh. that'd be rad lol

you could have a little terminal up front with the admin page showing what everybody's watching at the moment too, and cut em off if they start throwing peanuts at their sibling

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
what are you gonna do for sound?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

eh, just get some tablets, run Plex on a raspberry pi or something and run a WiFi in the car to connect the three.

e: whoops new page

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
just raise your kids to have actual attention spans and not need constant passive entertainment even when in the car, op. that's the real idiot spare time project.

(for reals tho, just cheap lovely android tablets (but i repeat myself) very securely fastened to the headrests so they don't become missiles in a crash)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Doc Block posted:

just raise your kids to have actual attention spans and not need constant passive entertainment even when in the car, op. that's the real idiot spare time project.

(for reals tho, just cheap lovely android tablets (but i repeat myself) very securely fastened to the headrests so they don't become missiles in a crash)

lol my attention span has been loving atomised as a result of having access to the internet for 16 years

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
For sound I was thinking cheap BT headphones, paired with each tablet. I could get them color coded so we know which one goes to which tablet. Probably a cheap pair of wired backup headphones too.

I was hoping to avoid using WiFi if I could. That could end up being a problem unless I can find a tablet with some kind of dock with ethernet. I would also like the tablets to be fairly large, like 12" or so at least.

Products for this market exist commercially and I will probably go with one of them. I was just intrigued with the idea of a very small server in the trunk.

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Android-Headrest-Players-Monitors-Facebook/dp/B085NRMMSW
I'm hoping to find some used, older tablets of a similar size to save money. I don't need the HDMI in/out business either, everyone is old enough to drive their own screen.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
why not wifi?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Doc Block posted:

ok boomer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

netwerk23 posted:

I could get them color coded so we know which one goes to which tablet.

DAD I WANT THE BLUE HEADPHONES TIMMY CAN HAVE THE RED ONES fights by the dozen. but yeah

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Doc Block posted:

any parents who took away the gameboy/tablets/whatever to make their kids appreciate the majesty of endless fields of corn on a road trip regretted it within 10 minutes

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

netwerk23 posted:

You know how planes have Linux-based systems that have a single 'server' and each seat-back unit is essentially a thin client?

i saw one of those kernel panic once, was on an A330 i think. the client was running some flavour of BSD lol

edit: i lie, i'm not sure what it was running because it didn't give a full stack trace. also it didn't kernel panic just segfaulted.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 11, 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i saw one of those kernel panic once, was on an A330 i think. the client was running some flavour of BSD lol

edit: i lie, i'm not sure what it was running because it didn't give a full stack trace. also it didn't kernel panic just segfaulted.

the last release of svgalib was in 2001 lol

whatever the underlying os is, it's ancient

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The_Franz posted:

whatever the underlying os is, it's ancient
it is also, i state with 100% confidence, a pos

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

any parents who took away the gameboy/tablets/whatever to make their kids appreciate the majesty of endless fields of corn on a road trip regretted it within 10 minutes

we never had them in the first place when i was a kid, checkmate atheists :smuggo:

at most we brought books or magazines, and when we were teenagers we had our own discmans

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

discmen

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

discsman

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
dickmann

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

minidickmann

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Watch out, I heard that NAS cars can only turn left

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

pseudopresence posted:

Watch out, I heard that NAS cars can only turn left
Not when they drive the other way around :smug:

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Sagacity posted:

Not when they drive the other way around :smug:

And three lefts is also a right.

I've seen the airplane systems reboot and could clearly see a Tux. That was also a decade ago so who knows how things have changed since.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

netwerk23 posted:

I've seen the airplane systems reboot and could clearly see a Tux. That was also a decade ago so who knows how things have changed since.

i can guarantee that plane is still running the exact same OS

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

netwerk23 posted:

same as of early 2020.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i replaced the muffler (and the rest of the exhaust system up to the catalytic converter) on my car today.

perhaps this explains the quality of my posting!!

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 19, 2021

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

ok but did you get whistle tips installed too?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i replaced the muffler (and the rest of the exhaust system up to the catalytic converter) on my car today.

perhaps this explains the quality of my posting!!

that's good, working on cars is fun!

I can tell you ride around like that for a good while lol. guess your state doesn't have mandatory inspections

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah it was clearly rusting for a long time but i think it only actually disintegrated about three weeks ago, when the car started making a farting noise.

california doesn't give a poo poo about safety inspections nope but of course you have to get your emissions tested constantly.

also the hole was on top of the muffler, invisible without using a mirror or dropping it. idk if your average lazy safety inspection would have caught it.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I bet that car brakes really good too, just put your foot through the floor for extra stopping power

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

yabba dabba doo!

i got my car 'inspected' today. they plugged in an obdii reader, said i was good, and sent me on my way. guess that's why there's so many bro trucks around

r u ready to WALK posted:

I bet that car brakes really good too, just put your foot through the floor for extra stopping power

off topic but you've had one of my fav user name/avatars forever

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this fall my ford is getting a full go-through with all new fluids, plug change*, new tires and perhaps new shocks and springs. it's riding a little bit low in its middle age, might even be a d-bag and get a 2" lift because the original owner was extremely smart and picked the eddie bauer trim package but 86'd the horrible airbags that came with in favor of the vanilla (better) suspension setup

* asterisk because haha google "3 valve ford spark plug issues". that's by far the hairiest one on the list.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

spent this morning janitoring my NAS
now its running DSM7 and i want to strangle the godless fucker who decided that "synology photos"'s folder structure should put everything in a folder for its month, and then a folder for its year
who the gently caress does that
i dont mean albums, either, i mean the actual folders on the hard drive

either way im spending the rest of tonight watching poo poo on plex & eating garbage

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah that's a pretty bad folder structure heh

i'm glad you are enjoying your nas, they're so nice to have.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah that's a pretty bad folder structure heh

i'm glad you are enjoying your nas, they're so nice to have.

its frustrating as hell but paradoxically thats also why i like loving with it
because when it finally works its satisfying as gently caress and you feel like a genius

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

wow, they're really ramping up their release schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

wow, they're really ramping up their release schedule

yea
looks shiny tho