Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t get the Rocco Basilico name reference. A little help?
sounds too much like Roko’s Basilisk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Before rushing to pass laws against using kids to mine coal from the narrowest tunnels, we should wait until science can tell us whether they inherited the coal-mining gene from their parents.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

VitalSigns posted:

Before rushing to pass laws against using kids to mine coal from the narrowest tunnels, we should wait until science can tell us whether they inherited the coal-mining gene from their parents.
Materialist left: Shooting the Romanov children was necessary to prevent a reactionary force rallying around a single individual and re-enslaving the people of Russia.
Genetic left: The Romanov children were born with tyranny in their genes. Shooting them all before it fully expressed itself was the moral thing to do - for both those who they would try to shackle once more, and for children themselves, who if they failed would live a life devoid of the joy of domination.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Materialist left: Shooting the Romanov children was necessary to prevent a reactionary force rallying around a single individual and re-enslaving the people of Russia.
Genetic left: The Romanov children were born with tyranny in their genes. Shooting them all before it fully expressed itself was the moral thing to do - for both those who they would try to shackle once more, and for children themselves, who if they failed would live a life devoid of the joy of domination.

:colbert:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Sorry is the woke eugenics lady saying the word gap is a result of an anti talking to babies gene and not poor people spending less time with their kids?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How does the "Word Gap" account for immigrant communities where more than one language is spoken? Does someone who speaks 3 languages get triple language XP to level up to bachelors degree? What gene will make me roll my r's?
These are the questions of our time.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've now actually read the New Yorker article about the genetics lady and, if nothing else, she certainly excels at self-publicity!

An extremely sympathetic reporter posted:

Harden, who has moss-colored eyes, a wry smile, and an earnest nonchalance, met me at a coffee shop that looked as though it had been airlifted that morning from San Francisco. She wore a soft flannel shirt, faded stone-washed jeans, and dark Ray-Ban sunglasses. The air was hot and dry, but Harden is the sort of person who seems accompanied by a perpetual breeze.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've now actually read the New Yorker article about the genetics lady and, if nothing else, she certainly excels at self-publicity!

the wind wooshed beneath her hair and she looked cool as all hell

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Victory Position posted:

the wind wooshed beneath her hair and she looked cool as all hell

media profiles of people keep loving doing this and once you realize it you can never unsee that first two to three paragraphs

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

vyelkin posted:

theyre measuring by k/d ratio

Fail every objective but rack up that k/d ratio is a losing strategy popular with idiots for decades already. In videogames.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Strong "kidnap victim of serial killer" vibes in this photo.

But the plot twist here is that she is the serial killer in this story. #feminism

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Sorry is the woke eugenics lady saying the word gap is a result of an anti talking to babies gene and not poor people spending less time with their kids?

No she's saying it's due to an anti word learning gene and therefore it doesn't matter how much time poor people spend with their babies and trying to help them do that is a waste of precious precious money

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 09:32 on Sep 13, 2021

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
So much for the geneticist left.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
My favorite bit of the article was when she got into a big slapfight with the other members of her faculty, as a result of them reacting like big, dumb, blinkered ideologues when all she was doing was asking certain questions in a clear-eyed and forthright manner.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Red Metal posted:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko%27s_basilisk
tl;dr it's pascal's wager for transhumanist nerds

bawfuls posted:

sounds too much like Roko’s Basilisk

ah, I’ve heard of Roko’s Basilisk but didn’t get there from the name. thanks!

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
e: nvm

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

My favorite bit of the article was when she got into a big slapfight with the other members of her faculty, as a result of them reacting like big, dumb, blinkered ideologues when all she was doing was asking certain questions in a clear-eyed and forthright manner.

eyyy, I'm asking questions ova here!!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Hey ex-husband whom she has two children with is also a professor in her faculty.

I'm sure the work environment is :cheffs kiss: there.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Red Metal posted:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko%27s_basilisk
tl;dr it's pascal's wager for transhumanist nerds

'Rationalist' nerds reinventing religion but dumber and more neurotic is incredibly funny.

The God of the Bible at least has a comprehensible reason to burn your soul in hell forever for touching yourself (he's a dickhead)

A ultilitarian AI would know there's no point in wasting processor cycles torturing simulations of people after they're dead

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

'Rationalist' nerds reinventing religion but dumber and more neurotic is incredibly funny.

The God of the Bible at least has a comprehensible reason to burn your soul in hell forever for touching yourself (he's a dickhead)

A ultilitarian AI would know there's no point in wasting processor cycles torturing simulations of people after they're dead

Looks like someone's never read the famous Harry Potter fanfic, or you'd understand.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

media profiles of people keep loving doing this and once you realize it you can never unsee that first two to three paragraphs

It's always annoying and unnecessary and in that piece was especially grating.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Hey ex-husband whom she has two children with is also a professor in her faculty.

I'm sure the work environment is :cheffs kiss: there.

I spent a little time in an Economics master's program and the chief econometrics/stats guy was one of the most unpleasant individuals I've ever met. I think they really are all like Nate Silver or Taleb. Let me tell you it's a hell of a lot worse to deal with in person than from a distance on Twitter

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Strong "kidnap victim of serial killer" vibes in this photo.

But the plot twist here is that she is the serial killer in this story. #feminism

Where are her shoes. That floor is filthy. She's gonna get a splinter!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Fun fact about the "30 million word vocabulary gap" that is the basis of the framing of that article, and libs love to talk about:

It comes from a single study of 42 families in the 1990s.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jazerus posted:

gently hand-wash your precious jeans so they don't lose their colors. devote your life to denim

Denim Dogs awooo awooo

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Where are her shoes. That floor is filthy. She's gonna get a splinter!

anti-splinter genes

very expensive

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How does the "Word Gap" account for immigrant communities where more than one language is spoken? Does someone who speaks 3 languages get triple language XP to level up to bachelors degree? What gene will make me roll my r's?
These are the questions of our time.

The people who came up with the "word gap" only spoke English and so just didn't think about this at all.

The American education system is extremely uninterested in teaching kids to speak multiple languages

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the only thing that sucks about having structured learning around a second language in school is i was pretty confused when I was young. couldn't remember english words but knew them in french so for half a year my parents would have me talking to them in a garbled mess of two languages

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Action Jacktion posted:

i just remember they had a tv schedule with “7 pm: Dan Rather for the eighth straight hour” and then “8 pm: Dan Rather totally loses his poo poo.”

And lifetime doing 24 hours of "Golden Girls". Really solid issue from them.

funfact: it was their first printed issue in NYC. They'd just moved and were planning on distributing it the week after 9/11 but pushed back one week and led with one hell of an opener.

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/onion-911-issue-oral-history

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Dreylad posted:

the only thing that sucks about having structured learning around a second language in school is i was pretty confused when I was young. couldn't remember english words but knew them in french so for half a year my parents would have me talking to them in a garbled mess of two languages

not seeing the problem here?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

genes lady has yet another hot take

lol

those with "slavery genes" have a predilection for "fast twitch muscle action" and "yelling" too loudly during "movies"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

and again good job everyone calling out gene lady's bullshit as an excuse to cut social programs and governmental interventions. It's apparent to anyone who has some awareness that campaigning on genes being inextricably associated with social outcomes is just the latest iteration of social darwinism.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

is this the onion;

“If you had said on 9/12 that we’d have only 100 people killed by jihadi terrorism and only one foreign terrorist attack in the United States over the next 20 years, you’d have been laughed out of the room,” said Daniel Benjamin, the State Department’s coordinator for counterterrorism in the Obama administration.

“The fact that it had to be accompanied by two wars makes it hard for people to disaggregate how successful counterterrorism policies have been,” said Mr. Benjamin, now the president of the American Academy in Berlin.

The melting away of the American-trained Afghan Army in the face of the Taliban’s advance has cast a shadow over the concept of working with local partners, as did the wholesale retreat of Iraqi troops from Islamic State fighters, who briefly succeeded in establishing a caliphate over much of Iraq and Syria in 2014 and organized terrorist networks in Europe.

But there are other examples where the United States, with more realistic ambitions and limited goals, has been able to forge fruitful partnerships with local militias. Syrian Kurdish fighters, aided by American troops, evicted the Islamic State from Syria, while Libyan militias, helped by American airstrikes, uprooted ISIS fighters from their base in the Libyan city of Sirte.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

What foreign terrorist attack did we have after 9/11?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Kpop.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

1/6

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

the guy who set his dick on fire maybe

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

someone tried to run some people over in manhattan and killed 8 in 2017

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_New_York_City_truck_attack

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

someone tried to run some people over in manhattan and killed 8 in 2017

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_New_York_City_truck_attack

What’s the distinction here between him and say the Tsarnaev bros that makes it a foreign terrorist attack? Did he actually have a formal connection to ISIS?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HashtagGirlboss posted:

What’s the distinction here between him and say the Tsarnaev bros that makes it a foreign terrorist attack? Did he actually have a formal connection to ISIS?

The Tsarnaev brothers were an FBI op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
was that the one where someone associated with it was being interviewed by the FBI, apparently 'panicked' in front of two agents was killed before being able to reveal any information about the brothers' connection to the FBI