Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

DoctorWhat posted:

I mean, the Miyazaki comparisons aren't unwarranted - Rankin-Bass contracted out The Hobbit to the same studio that made The Last Unicorn, Topcraft. Topcraft also did the animation for Nausicaa and basically became a big portion of Ghibli's founding staff after Topcraft dissolved.
that's so fascinating! i know next to nothing about japanese animation, so don't know anything about the history of the major studios. the last unicorn was one of the only cartoons i got to watch as a kid, it's special to me.

perepelki fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FunkyAl posted:

She defenitely does have big cartoon eyes, moreso than the human cast, which is accurate to the text and media.

RE his films, God only knows. Who knows if they do

And now I have to wonder if Elfquest was an inspiration there, which specifically has the elves look almost anime while humans are drawn in a more standard style, and it's brought up in-universe how they look strange to each other. (And the trolls in particular look MUCH more Bakshi, come to think of it)

Also, that Gollum looks kinda like Littlefoot with ears.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

perepelki posted:

that's so fascinating! i know next to nothing about japanese animation, so don't know anything about the history of the major studios. the last unicorn was one of the only cartoons i got to watch as a kid, it's special to me.

The Last Unicorn is a gem and I love it. By far the best unicorn design in the entire history of animation.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The Last Unicorn is a gem and I love it. By far the best unicorn design in the entire history of animation.
:emptyquote:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

plainswalker75 posted:

Honestly, his voice acting might be even better than his character design; his howls of rage when he realizes that filthy Baggins has stolen his birthday present are absolutely sublime.

Yeah, wait'll you hear Brother Theodore doing Gollum. A generation of kids have it permanently stuck in their heads

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
(Gently grasps larynx and shakes it for extra vibrato.)
“The greatest adventure…”

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

lol i'm reminiscing about my tolkien experience and for some reason i connected so hard with gollum as a kid (this was book gollum, i got to read the hobbit and then lotr just before the ppj movies came out, and bakshi i discovered only as an adult). he was definitely the character whose outlook in life i felt was closest to mine. unnerving

i think a lot of kids who identified most with gollum grew up to work in animation

perepelki fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 9, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

he's also the best character to track across the adaptations, because all the other characters look fairly similar in that they're always bearded middle-aged white men, but gollum looks completely different every time

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And now I have to wonder if Elfquest was an inspiration there, which specifically has the elves look almost anime while humans are drawn in a more standard style, and it's brought up in-universe how they look strange to each other. (And the trolls in particular look MUCH more Bakshi, come to think of it)
someone here once mentioned the pinis and bakshi are friends irl, i don't know if it's true but seems possible

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

I always looooved this design. Cat face with search light eyes, so cool.

I finally got to see Cars 2 and 3, trying to branch my son away from watching Cars for the 1,000th time. What a wretched undertaking Cars 2 is. I have no idea what they were thinking. I’m glad we got to see what a car universe bathroom and toilet look like. Seeing Bruce Campbell car being tortured to death was an interesting experience at least.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I always looooved this design. Cat face with search light eyes, so cool.

I finally got to see Cars 2 and 3, trying to branch my son away from watching Cars for the 1,000th time. What a wretched undertaking Cars 2 is. I have no idea what they were thinking. I’m glad we got to see what a car universe bathroom and toilet look like. Seeing Bruce Campbell car being tortured to death was an interesting experience at least.

But what about 3? I like 3, only seen it once so far. But I really liked it as the ending of McQueens story.

2 is so weird. Maybe it's just me and my son, but we don't like Mater. Never did. So why make a movie that suddenly focuses completely on him? That the movie was (to him) a big step up in tension also rubbed him the wrong way back then.
To me it just always seemed like the execs thought the kids loved Mater so let's just do that. :dunno:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe I'm dense or wasn't paying attention but I completely missed what "Mater" was a pun on or why it had anything to do with him, and had to have it explained later through other media that it was "tow-mater" => "tomato" :confused: okay then if you say so

I was like, no I don't think I am interested in knowing about the Larry the Cable Guy car's sex life

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I would rather watch the Good Dinosaur 100 more times than even the “good” Cars movies

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
See to me Mater is not the problem with Cars 2. LIGHTNING is the problem. He barely has any reason to exist in the movie. Mater is at least participating in the much more interesting spy thriller parts. Cars 2 should frankly have ditched both Lightning and Mater and just done a full spy thriller played completely straight, except everything is cars

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I lived in a little depressed former roadtown for a little this year and I kinda appreciate "cars" a little more. Also the idea of refusing immediate glory to help your dead friend finish a race is good. RIP Ranft

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Cars 1 is about the newfangled highway system making small towns like radiator springs obsolete and Cars 3 is about the entirety of NASCAR being started by bootleggers who wanted to race each other in their souped-up cop-evading vehicles, Cars 2 isn't about anything really

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So what happens when a bunch of good poo poo comes out of Skydance but has JL name attached? Folks not going to watch it here or they going to look past it because it's got a ton of talent that is not him making the movies/shows?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Mater was entirely riding on the coattails of Larry the Cable Guy's popularity but redneck humor started to sputter out by the time Cars 2 was finally released.

Honestly, given that big exposition article not only reveal Lasseter's sexual harassment rampage in Pixar but that he likely stole the idea of Cars from someone else.

EDIT: also, no starve Lasseter - it's about high time for the industry to realize no White Man is that good or talented enough to justify letting them run around and grope people.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Mater was entirely riding on the coattails of Larry the Cable Guy's popularity but redneck humor started to sputter out by the time Cars 2 was finally released.

Honestly, given that big exposition article not only reveal Lasseter's sexual harassment rampage in Pixar but that he likely stole the idea of Cars from someone else.

EDIT: also, no starve Lasseter - it's about high time for the industry to realize no White Man is that good or talented enough to justify letting them run around and grope people.

He was put in charge after a number of projects were already going and have incredibly talented people working on them. I'm not entirely convinced they should be punished for him being a poo poo head and the board being dumb. Like he's not directing them.

It's the same thing with Blizzard. AP has a great video talking about why despite them being lovely it doesn't mean you should boycott them, and that's her as both now a games developer, a female reporter and someone who knows a ton of people at blizzard.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

LionArcher posted:

He was put in charge after a number of projects were already going and have incredibly talented people working on them. I'm not entirely convinced they should be punished for him being a poo poo head and the board being dumb. Like he's not directing them.

It's the same thing with Blizzard. AP has a great video talking about why despite them being lovely it doesn't mean you should boycott them, and that's her as both now a games developer, a female reporter and someone who knows a ton of people at blizzard.

Dude, Blizzard's culture from top-down is toxic, they even have a Bill Cosby room set up when his crimes came to light, not to mention their rolling over for China.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Can't believe the company responsible for Legally Distinct Warhammer is full of poo poo people@

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the employees are getting paid, you have absolutely no moral obligation to support them, and saying that boycotting hurts them is the equivalent of saying poor people hurt them as well

Blizzard can get hosed

e: this poo poo also gets trotted out constantly, like with the 2022 Hogwarts game which isn't even by a studio with a positive track record!! people can choose not to buy or watch something for whatever reason they want, whether it's JK Rowling, John Lasseter, a Cosby suite, denying Hong Kong or Taiwan, or... OR.... it just not being your cup of tea! Or you not being able to afford it. Or having too much in your watchlog/backlog already.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 14, 2021

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and given there's at least one suicide that was a result of Blizzard's workplace culture, why would you want to support a company that drives their employees to suicide? If you really want to support workers, that seems to be the opposite of support.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Darth TNT posted:

But what about 3? I like 3, only seen it once so far. But I really liked it as the ending of McQueens story.

2 is so weird. Maybe it's just me and my son, but we don't like Mater. Never did. So why make a movie that suddenly focuses completely on him? That the movie was (to him) a big step up in tension also rubbed him the wrong way back then.
To me it just always seemed like the execs thought the kids loved Mater so let's just do that. :dunno:

Oh yeah! I kinda liked 3. The ending was a little surprising and it had some heart. Unlike 2. I’m not sure the whole sexism/hinted at racism thing WORKED exactly but Cruz was a fun character to watch. Also, the demolition derby scene was entertaining. Thank you, son, for adding this to the rotation, for every viewing of 3 means we aren’t watching 2.
Since the older race cars specifically said they were moonshine runners, can cars…get drunk? Is that a thing?

Oh and I like how even Cars 3 ignores Cars 2, McQueen’s big race in Japan is never mentioned and isn’t even on the big wall of his accomplishments in the racing testing building. Which, good, because again… why a spy movie starring Mater.

Macaluso posted:

See to me Mater is not the problem with Cars 2. LIGHTNING is the problem. He barely has any reason to exist in the movie. Mater is at least participating in the much more interesting spy thriller parts. Cars 2 should frankly have ditched both Lightning and Mater and just done a full spy thriller played completely straight, except everything is cars

This is a good point. Honestly I would have been on board with a car spy movie I GUESS. I mean it’s weird but whatever. Give Bruce Campbell a bigger check and have him Star with Michael Caine.

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 14, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://youtu.be/ApDnEuUOzS8

This is the video in regards to blizzard.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Cars 2, Brave and the Good Dinosaur are some of the lowest Pixar ever got

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Give it time.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

LionArcher posted:

https://youtu.be/ApDnEuUOzS8

This is the video in regards to blizzard.

Full of bad faith arguments, really in light of Blizzard's lethal levels of harassment towards their own employees - it's really the moral thing to NOT partake in their products.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Macaluso posted:

We're basically saying the same thing from a different viewpoint. Lightning was superficial to the Mater film, but Cars is ostensibly about Lightning.
The movie might have been better if it was just Lightning racing or just Mater doing spy stuff. Though again, I don't like Mater and honestly don't know anyone in real life who liked him either. :shrug: Maybe it's more of American taste thing? I don't even know Larry.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Oh yeah! I kinda liked 3. The ending was a little surprising and it had some heart. Unlike 2. I’m not sure the whole sexism/hinted at racism thing WORKED exactly but Cruz was a fun character to watch. Also, the demolition derby scene was entertaining. Thank you, son, for adding this to the rotation, for every viewing of 3 means we aren’t watching 2.
Since the older race cars specifically said they were moonshine runners, can cars…get drunk? Is that a thing?

Oh and I like how even Cars 3 ignores Cars 2, McQueen’s big race in Japan is never mentioned and isn’t even on the big wall of his accomplishments in the racing testing building. Which, good, because again… why a spy movie starring Mater.

This is a good point. Honestly I would have been on board with a car spy movie I GUESS. I mean it’s weird but whatever. Give Bruce Campbell a bigger check and have him Star with Michael Caine.

Basically my thoughts on Cars3 as well. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the message, the characters and I was pretty surprised at the resolution. Not that Cruz can race, but that Lightning deliberately took a permanent step back.
He learned to race better, but that wasn't the actual lesson he learned. It's a bit of a weird lesson maybe for a movie aimed more at kids?
Same way I still find it pretty ballsy that in a movie that's geared more towards boys that they have the girl car win the race and beat the boys. It's cool.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Pixeltendo posted:

Cars 2, Brave and the Good Dinosaur are some of the lowest Pixar ever got

No way does Brave belong on that list in my opinion. It's not one of their greatest but it was pretty fun.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Brave gets my love for being a funny and unique spin on an animal transformation story

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Friend of mine recommended Centaurworld on Netflix, said it hit feelings like Adventure Time. I watched the first episode and thought the characters were annoying as gently caress, which seems to be the point. Does this show get better? Seems like "lol random" humor.
E: oops forgot this was movies forum

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 14, 2021

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Brave taught me all life's problems can be solved with bears. An important lesson

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah but we'd already been told that by the same company a few years earlier

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fun Times! posted:

E: oops forgot this was movies forum
It's fine, I'm pretty sure we talked about it here... maybe? Too many threads to follow

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I still haven't seen the Cars sequels, but whenever my kids watch the first one it feels like the longest movie ever. It's really not bad, but it always feels like someone talking my ear off about something that they clearly care about way more than I ever will.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The big unstated labor issue in games/movies are people in thankless labor and service jobs that have built a dependence on them as an emotional outlet. Like if you work a crappy job stocking shelves at 1AM, don't see anyone can't go anywhere, you might be reticent to let go of however long you spend a week as a fantasy legend mining ore. That demand needs to lessen before games will be able to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FunkyAl posted:

The big unstated labor issue in games/movies are people in thankless labor and service jobs that have built a dependence on them as an emotional outlet. Like if you work a crappy job stocking shelves at 1AM, don't see anyone can't go anywhere, you might be reticent to let go of however long you spend a week as a fantasy legend mining ore. That demand needs to lessen before games will be able to.

German forklift sims though

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Edit: wrong thread

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

German forklift sims though