Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

How is the AI regarding randomization between runs? Do they have reliable behavior as far as patrols and patterns, so you can learn how they work? Or… is that maybe not important at all?

I know this isn’t a stealth-heavy game but reading that bodies disappear is a little surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

AI is dumb as hell, no patrol patterns matter or anything like that and there's a lot of margin of error when it comes to alerting them. Dishonored 2 enemies were way more complex when it comes to this.

Jack Trades posted:

Is it even Dishonored++ though?
Dishonored lets you have powers that lets you spawn NPCs that distract or fight your enemies, control NPCs directly, stop time, pretend to be an NPC. It also gave you the option to play non-lethally if you wanted, even if that whole system wasn't that great.
Deathloop seems to only have Blink, Invisibility and the rest are variations on "press button to kill dude, but more so". They don't even let you have access to all the powers at once.
Imo the game plays like Dishonored LIGHT in an alternative retro universe. There is no need to compare this game to other titles at all, it literally plays like Dishonored straight up but you have fewer options to take out enemies as you mentioned and there's an overarching "loop" concept that let the devs stretch out the gameplay without having to build new maps for further levels more than anything else.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ErrEff posted:

How is the AI regarding randomization between runs? Do they have reliable behavior as far as patrols and patterns, so you can learn how they work? Or… is that maybe not important at all?

I know this isn’t a stealth-heavy game but reading that bodies disappear is a little surprising.

Enemy placement and behavior is identical between runs, but only if you do the same maps in the same order and make the same choices. The whole point of the game is to not do that, up until the end when you figure out the right route and then it's all you do (I assume). So I guess it both is and is not important.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

deep dish peat moss posted:

They make that HL2 Combine Dying radio ping sound for me as well, but it has never alerted anyone else. I've been using the nailgun exclusively which is silenced, so maybe it's the gunshot sound alerting them?

No I used the nail gun for a long time as well until I got a silenced pistol, but it definitely alerted people. Maybe that was changed or broke in the day 1 patch or something?

Or maybe I'm just crazy. But I could swear.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

ErrEff posted:

They have reliable behaviour and perform the same behaviour per loop, since the day resets and they have no awareness of what they did in the last loop (as per the storyline). There are four times of day and there are different routines per each time of day. Most enemies are fairly dumb, giving the impression the game is easy, but the challenge comes from changing events per the time of day. In some ways it feels like Deathloop is a giant sandbox, since the objective is to try get all 8 key enemies into the same room and kill them. Since you have 4 maps and 4 times of day, this could prove fairly challenging. I don't know because I haven't got that far into it yet.

Basically it's a "every action creates a reaction" game, but not every enemy on a map is important. Blowing up an important item or event may lead to a different event in another period of time. The game is pretty open in letting you decide how best to accomplish the final goal.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I like that you CAN go stealth but realistically you're more DOOM marine than Corvo here. There's a good amount of cheeky metatextuality in a lot of the early game dialogue about this, actually. I never play high or high kill or assault runs in any 0451 games so this actually kinda feels like a license to lean back and let it rip, which is nice. The AI is bad to the point of parody though - they'll shoot at you with a small object in front of them that prevents them from hitting you at all, that kind of thing. OTOH I have not yet felt the real thrill of being on either end of the assassination multiplayer and I anticipate that this will change things a lot.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Communist Bear posted:

the objective is to try get all 8 key enemies into the same room and kill them

I'm not sure about that. Maybe you can get them all at once, but my understanding is you have a full day to kill them all, so 2 per time period should do it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

No I used the nail gun for a long time as well until I got a silenced pistol, but it definitely alerted people. Maybe that was changed or broke in the day 1 patch or something?

Or maybe I'm just crazy. But I could swear.

ok I've been playing some more and it seems like sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I suspect it has more to do with the dead person dying in their field of view

In this screenshot for example, one of the visionaries is giving a speech (censored to prevent spoilers) in this room. This room is full of enemies. I just shot one with the nailgun where the red circle is. You can see two enemies in the screenshot, there are another 2 directly beneath the ledge here. Notably, the visionary and about 3 other NPCs are staring directly at the enemy I killed, from the same distance that I am - they're just on the other side of a door from me. None of them reacted to that sound.

Also once enemies are alerted and searching for you (but not engaged with you), you can freely pick them off with the nailgun and they don't become alerted to your presence unless they physically see you - if you shoot one that's trailing another and that sound gets made, the leading one doesn't turn around to look or anything.

But this is the same as how guards behaved in Dishonored 2 so :shrug: You could do the same thing there with the crossbow. Dishonored had high chaos to prevent you from doing this (or at least make the game harder for you if you did) so I'm expecting this game to have something similar if I just gun down a bunch of visionaries or mooks.

It's also super easy to stealth past 90% of the enemies.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 14, 2021

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm not sure about that. Maybe you can get them all at once, but my understanding is you have a full day to kill them all, so 2 per time period should do it.

Ahh yes sorry! You're correct.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The 0451 gag is pretty good.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you go to Karl's Wharf (in the morning?) there's an audio log that involves some eternalists talking about opening a breach and then killing anything that comes out

It may just be regarding timeline clones like we see from the very beginning but the way it was worded ("anything" and the rest of the context of the message) it sounded like it might be hinting at some kind of extradimensional/alien beings to fight.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Trying to set the resolution to 1080p from 1440p leads to the screen resizing for a few seconds before putting the game in the background and leaving me at the desktop, same thing happens again if I then try to tab back. Anyone figured out a solution for this?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pwnstar posted:

The 0451 gag is pretty good.

I wonder how many people instinctively tried it on the first door. How many people even know?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Black Griffon posted:

Trying to set the resolution to 1080p from 1440p leads to the screen resizing for a few seconds before putting the game in the background and leaving me at the desktop, same thing happens again if I then try to tab back. Anyone figured out a solution for this?

Try setting it to windowed and change res then, apply and revert to fullscreen.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I capped the FPS at 60 using the Nvidia control panel and the frame pacing definitely feels way more consistent

60fps looks like doodooass compared to well paced >100 but you've gotta do what you've gotta do

CottonWolf posted:

I wonder how many people instinctively tried it on the first door. How many people even know?

There's an achievement for trying it, with 5% completion on Steam versus 45% for completing the first tutorial zone. About 1 in 9 then.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Y'all can try Special K for fixing the framepacing. It works wonders.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Special_K

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I killed Frank in the morning and got a pretty rad unique weapon

(sorry for the bad aa I took the screenshot at 4k and resized it)

You also get a buttload of trinkets and mods from visionaries. One of the trinkets I got makes enemy accuracy even worse by making them never aim at your head :v:

So far no marked increase in difficulty (with just one visionary down). It was very easy to work my way through his house but it was fun. There are dozens of hackable/portable turrets everywhere inside so I just leapfrogged like 4 of those around to clear out rooms for me.

It seems to me like rather than killing them at first, you will need to do something to interfere with them which will later group them up? I don't know - at least it's starting to feel like maybe the reason it feels so easy is because I'm still doing it wrong.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 14, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

repiv posted:

There's an achievement for trying it, with 5% completion on Steam versus 45% for completing the first tutorial zone. About 1 in 9 then.

Seriously! I got all the way up the cliff when I slapped my head and went,"Oh OF COURSE, that will be what it was!" and ran all the way back and tried, laughed when the achievement popped, and when I stopped playing was shocked to see how low the percentage was.

Also was having a blast with the game but it crashed mid-fight, which was very annoying. I can't figure out if I'm going to get used to trying to play this with a controller or I'll end up playing it like I do all Arkane's games with a mouse and keyboard instead so it doesn't feel like I'm fighting myself when trying to aim.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Impermanent posted:

I like that you CAN go stealth but realistically you're more DOOM marine than Corvo here. There's a good amount of cheeky metatextuality in a lot of the early game dialogue about this, actually. I never play high or high kill or assault runs in any 0451 games so this actually kinda feels like a license to lean back and let it rip, which is nice. The AI is bad to the point of parody though - they'll shoot at you with a small object in front of them that prevents them from hitting you at all, that kind of thing. OTOH I have not yet felt the real thrill of being on either end of the assassination multiplayer and I anticipate that this will change things a lot.
This is a great take because I couldn't stand Dishonored due to the game's inability to let me stealth at all while Deathloop is doing a great job of letting me go ultra-sneak. Funny how these games can get tackled and interpreted from opposite sides of the "sneak or loud" spectrum.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
PC folks, do you have a mouse cursor when you decide whether to exit the level or not? It really feels like there should be a mouse cursor visible in that screen (and also the one where you pick which chat log to open on a computer)

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

DaveKap posted:

This is a great take because I couldn't stand Dishonored due to the game's inability to let me stealth at all while Deathloop is doing a great job of letting me go ultra-sneak. Funny how these games can get tackled and interpreted from opposite sides of the "sneak or loud" spectrum.
I got kinda bored with Dishonored's stealth because it was too easy with the teleport power. Just teleport behind people from behind cover and knock them out. I'm pretty sure I played on the maximum difficulty too.

Does this game have difficulty settings?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The game feels all jittery and 'off' on my computer. 8600k and a 1080ti at 1440p. Playing around with settings I can get 60-80fps at mostly high details, which should be fine, but it just feels sluggish and not very nice to play.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ymgve posted:

PC folks, do you have a mouse cursor when you decide whether to exit the level or not? It really feels like there should be a mouse cursor visible in that screen (and also the one where you pick which chat log to open on a computer)
No, but arrow buttons (not WSAD) + enter works, use that because yeah, trying to hit that poo poo with invisible mouse sucks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bardeh posted:

The game feels all jittery and 'off' on my computer. 8600k and a 1080ti at 1440p. Playing around with settings I can get 60-80fps at mostly high details, which should be fine, but it just feels sluggish and not very nice to play.

It seems to have the same framepacing bug as Dishonored 2, where it becomes jittery when not running at an exact multiple of 60fps

Try capping at 60fps using the Nvidia control panel

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

haldolium posted:

Try setting it to windowed and change res then, apply and revert to fullscreen.

No dice. Just tabs out and to the desktop. Switching resolution worked once last night, but when I started the game up again this morning, the problem was back.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

It seems to have the same framepacing bug as Dishonored 2, where it becomes jittery when not running at an exact multiple of 60fps

Try capping at 60fps using the Nvidia control panel

Yep, this fixed it. It is bizarre how much better it feels at a capped 60 (and not the ingame cap, that didn't help, only Nvidia control panel as you suggested) than an uncapped higher framerate. Either way, I can enjoy the game now, so thanks for this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mercrom posted:

I got kinda bored with Dishonored's stealth because it was too easy with the teleport power. Just teleport behind people from behind cover and knock them out. I'm pretty sure I played on the maximum difficulty too.

Does this game have difficulty settings?

It doesn't and apparently the AI is even worse than in Dishonored.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Almost spit my coffee while reading this.

"Deathloop solves my issue with immersive sims where they make me feel dim and uncreative by not being an immersive sim and removing most of the creativity. :downs:"

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Hows the field of view on PS5? And can it be adjusted? I bounced of the first Dishonored because of the horrible FOV. Gave me a headache because of how zoomed it was. Hope this is better.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

What Deathloop wants me to do: find alternative paths to approach locations from less guarded sides, use stealth, when things go tits up then shoot, use all your gadgets, use powers to cause mayhem and escape when you're pinned down
What I do: shoot in the air at the most heavily guarded side so that I get the attention of the most ammount of enemies, mow down all of them with a machine gun as they zero-in on me in neatly organized rows, maybe throw a couple of grenades to kill most of them first if I'm feeling lazy

So yeah, just forget it, the AI is a joke.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It feels smooth as butter on PS5.

Has anyone managed to reset the loop with Juliana yet? I've managed to kill Colt twice, but I got taken out on the third respawn before I could reset the loop.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

the game is drat beautiful. love that engine and the art skills of Arkane.

also stealth seems rather unnecessary a lot of the time. Maybe it changes in later missions but as the hearing range is very limited its so easy to just headshot people from midrange. I like that.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I can't seem to find anyone to matchmake with. Sadness.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Played through almost a fullloop last night, found some nifty combination gun that was akimbo pistols that could click together to be what it called a smg but felt a little more like a burst fire rifle or something.

Killed Juliana that night only to poke around a basement full of gas canisters and proximity mines and promptly blew my rear end out of my last reprise. Game good.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Palpek posted:

What Deathloop wants me to do: find alternative paths to approach locations from less guarded sides, use stealth, when things go tits up then shoot, use all your gadgets, use powers to cause mayhem and escape when you're pinned down
What I do: shoot in the air at the most heavily guarded side so that I get the attention of the most ammount of enemies, mow down all of them with a machine gun as they zero-in on me in neatly organized rows, maybe throw a couple of grenades to kill most of them first if I'm feeling lazy

So yeah, just forget it, the AI is a joke.

You and Jack Trades seem to be stuck in a loop of telling us how much you don't like this game.

We get it. Maybe you want to break your loop now?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

As someone who has not bought the game yet, I am very curious to hear feedback that is not super gushing.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

As someone who has not bought the game yet, I am very curious to hear feedback that is not super gushing.

It has dumb as bricks AI, uses much the same tropes (including gadgets) as Dishonored 1 and 2, can be probably easily broken by just gunning through everything, and isn't as imaginative as say Prey.

Despite that, it has been a fun time and alot less frustrating and annoying experience than playing Dishonored 1 and 2, though not nearly as clever as Prey.

Bear gives it 3 paws up.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hakkesshu posted:

well here are some

I know they're mostly bitching about denuvo

also agree with the communist bear. As someone posted earlier, kinda Dishonored+. Or Dishonored Blackreef Crash

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Most of the Steam reviews are just complaining about Denuvo or SJW poo poo which is not very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

OR the legitimate technical issues which make the game unplayable for a bunch of people

there are a lot of denuvo downvotes but