Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ikanreed posted:

I don't know if this is unpopular or an opinion per se, but it seems on topic. I will put a hundred hours into a game I think is mediocre and leave games I think are good unbeaten because I feel like I can't commit to actually enjoying something.

I do this with games, books, and multi season tv series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ikanreed posted:

I don't know if this is unpopular or an opinion per se, but it seems on topic. I will put a hundred hours into a game I think is mediocre and leave games I think are good unbeaten because I feel like I can't commit to actually enjoying something.

You should try doing the opposite

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Cracker King posted:

I still think video games are different from computer games.

woah woah woah wait a minute

what are you talking about

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Believe me buddy, I’m confused as hell at the Steam Deck with my old ‘Nintendo’ brain.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
but you do the same things in both of them

press buttons and make a guy on the screen kill things and/or make money

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I get it. Video games and computer games just used to feel different. Now they're pretty much the same thing though

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

That is true, they did used to be pretty different. There were some RTS console ports that were unplayable. Consoles didn't have FPSes until PS1/N64 except for a Doom port and a Wolfenstein port to SNES. But platformers were a console thing, and really bad on PC. But the RPG, The King of Genres, was on both, but they were really different things. PC was dungeon crawler, grid based stuff where you had a party of 4 or 6 guys where you'd move around a labyrinth and encounter visible monsters that you can approach or evade. Console was Phantasy Star/Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest JRPG type overworld/town map/dungeon map with randomly appearing monsters stuff.

Yea you make a good point.

But nowadays they're the same thing with a few notable exceptions I guess, like most strategy and city builder games.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Like, Warcraft 2 has a PS1 port. Can you even loving imagine?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

That is true, they did used to be pretty different. There were some RTS console ports that were unplayable. Consoles didn't have FPSes until PS1/N64 except for a Doom port and a Wolfenstein port to SNES. But platformers were a console thing, and really bad on PC. But the RPG, The King of Genres, was on both, but they were really different things. PC was dungeon crawler, grid based stuff where you had a party of 4 or 6 guys where you'd move around a labyrinth and encounter visible monsters that you can approach or evade. Console was Phantasy Star/Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest JRPG type overworld/town map/dungeon map with randomly appearing monsters stuff.

But nowadays they're the same thing with a few notable exceptions I guess, like most strategy and city builder games.

That's because consoles are just computers now.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

People aren't making RTS games because their market are just going to ignore them and keep mindlessly clicking on Starcraft 2 anyway increasing their APM and keep obsessively playing DOTA 2, continuing their 10 year journey of laning, whatever that is.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Probably worth noting that Wizardry got huge in Japan. There's a port of the first three for SNES, and the series and copycats maintained a respectable level of popularity up until PS2 era. Even today most of those older style dungeon crawlers are coming from Japan

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

the PS1 port of Diablo is really good

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Rutibex posted:

the PS1 port of Diablo is really good

I can imagine that. But any RTS on a D-Pad sounds like a nightmare.

It was always weird to me that Wizardry blew up in Japan. Maybe because its hard? That it pretty much the only RPG series I can't really gently caress with because it's just too hard for me. That and Age of Decadence was too hard for me. I think the toughest RPG I've ever beaten was Etrian Odyssey 4 on the 3DS. It took over a year of casually playing to beat it. I had to be really strategic and think 2 or 3 moves ahead in some fights.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Frostpunk is indeed a lovely title but the game is fun, it's bleak as hell if you like that sort of thing

I also got "cloudpunk" which is also a completely nonsensical name for it, but my laptop couldn't run it :(

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Just use the official PlayStation Mouse and you're good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
command and conquer 64 was good tho

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Who here is the punk? Why punk? As far as I can tell, Frostpunk is a game where I have to build a tall city after the worlds end. This sounds cool. But the punk. Who is it? Is it me?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
"punk" is to game aesthetics/settings as "core" is to musical genres.

Cybercore

Frostcore

Cloudcore

Steamcore

it's just a suffix that means this, this first word? that's what it's all about, STEAM

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Cumpunk 2069

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I can not only imagine it, I've played it! It could have been worse, I think. It has an autobuild/queue thing (with rally points? i dont remember) that really cuts down on screen scrolling. The UI was also rebuilt from the ground up so it only popped up when you needed it, and you could navigate using the d-pad.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

kntfkr posted:

"punk" is to game aesthetics/settings as "core" is to musical genres.

Cybercore

Frostcore

Cloudcore

Steamcore

it's just a suffix that means this, this first word? that's what it's all about, STEAM

goonpunk

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Seeing the N64 Starcraft cart at Blockbuster (:corsair:) always made me wonder.

Also the difference between console and computer used to be load times and crashes and now the field is a little more level.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Sally posted:

goonpunk

ew

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Corepunk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKnS3zel9T8

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

in that instead of "never" and "constantly" they are both at "often"?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Who here is the punk? Why punk? As far as I can tell, Frostpunk is a game where I have to build a tall city after the worlds end. This sounds cool. But the punk. Who is it? Is it me?

It's a literary thing, basically "punk" describes any fictional genre that focuses on a specific type of fantastical technology that shapes a setting, where that setting is often used to describe the struggle of working class heroes against an oligarchy.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

steampunk is just an excuse for cosplayers to glue a bunch of cogs to a tophat and put on welding goggles

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Can we just give in to the inevitable and have a punkpunk game?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

QuarkJets posted:

It's a literary thing, basically "punk" describes any fictional genre that focuses on a specific type of fantastical technology that shapes a setting, where that setting is often used to describe the struggle of working class heroes against an oligarchy.

no only cyberpunk means that
steampunk is all about posh colonisers who own giant robots and glue brass cogs to their hats
and everything else named "-punk" just went "well it's in steampunk so i guess it's a meaningless term that just means 'this is a genre' "

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

At least it's not gooncore

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Armitag3 posted:

Lol at cheating yourself from playing a great game because the title annoys your nerd neurons

Reading the title, "Bravely Default" makes me feel like I'm gonna have a stroke. It was clearly named through a machine learning script, right?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Bravely Default follows in the long and proud tradition of jrpg developers basically doing the English-language equivalent of "getting a tattoo of some random Chinese characters that the shady tattooist swears mean 'strength' even though you can't read Chinese'

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
frankly there are so many good games to play and only so much to enjoy them. it is truly a golden age of games and we are spoilt :unsmith: i am okay with shelving games for silly or trivial reasons. maybe i will come back around maybe not.

i skipped over dishonoured at launch because i thought the title sounded dull and the protagonist"s helmet looked silly. but i recently bought both Dishonoreds after playing the hell out of Prey... so i am gonna play them soon to get myself more pumped for Deathloop

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chainchompz posted:

Reading the title, "Bravely Default" makes me feel like I'm gonna have a stroke. It was clearly named through a machine learning script, right?

bravely default gives me quantum of solace vibes as far as names go

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

site posted:

command and conquer 64 was good tho

played the C&C remaster and wondered why it was so different from what i remembered

it didn't occur to me till i looked it up that i was stupid enough as a kid to play an rts on a console

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sally posted:

frankly there are so many good games to play and only so much to enjoy them. it is truly a golden age of games and we are spoilt :unsmith: i am okay with shelving games for silly or trivial reasons. maybe i will come back around maybe not.

i skipped over dishonoured at launch because i thought the title sounded dull and the protagonist"s helmet looked silly. but i recently bought both Dishonoreds after playing the hell out of Prey... so i am gonna play them soon to get myself more pumped for Deathloop

Don't skip on The Knife of Dunwall / Brigmore Witches. They're good.

Death of the Outsider is meh.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

no only cyberpunk means that
steampunk is all about posh colonisers who own giant robots and glue brass cogs to their hats
and everything else named "-punk" just went "well it's in steampunk so i guess it's a meaningless term that just means 'this is a genre' "

Yeah, it's totally this. Steampunk was very much opposite cyberpunk in terms of name, it kind of makes sense in that regard, it's kind of tongue in cheek about it. Everything else misses the subtlety and just puts 'punk' after the setting headline.

The worst of this for me is now (certainly in the UK I dunno about elsewhere, though I imagine the US?) Whenever there's a scandal it gets called "Scandal-gate" after Watergate. But like, that doesn't make any loving sense at all. Any time I hear it, it just makes my think of newspaper execs going, "yeah but the loving dumb dumbs need a sound byte" and then a smash cut to a horde of dumb dumbs in the pub going "Did you hear about horse-gate?" And nodding sagely

!Klams fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 15, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Floodixor posted:

I also got "cloudpunk" which is also a completely nonsensical name for it, but my laptop couldn't run it :(

It's a perfectly good name. It's a cyberpunk story where you drive around in the sky (where the clouds are). And it's the name of the courier service you work for, which also fits because it's exactly the kind of name that kind of business would have.

Also it's a very good game. If you do get to play it, be prepared to play a half hour or so before it gets good though because it starts a bit slow.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Tiggum posted:

It's a perfectly good name. It's a cyberpunk story where you drive around in the sky (where the clouds are). And it's the name of the courier service you work for, which also fits because it's exactly the kind of name that kind of business would have.

Also it's a very good game. If you do get to play it, be prepared to play a half hour or so before it gets good though because it starts a bit slow.

would you say that FedEx is Vanpunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Caesar Saladin posted:

would you say that FedEx is Vanpunk?

No? What? :confused: