Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I'm not really sure what a "Webtoon" is exactly, but DC released their first one today and it's a slice of life Batfamily title that's very cute and I recommend it: Batman: Wayne Family Adventures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm surprised by the amount of people I've seen say they were unaware of webtoons until this morning, but anyways yeah it was cute and fun and I'm looking forward to more. i think it would be a good place for a superhero girls comic as well

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing that caught me out a little until I facepalmed was the colouring for Damian. Like, his mum's from the middle East, of course he's darker than Bruce.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

One thing that caught me out a little until I facepalmed was the colouring for Damian. Like, his mum's from the middle East, of course he's darker than Bruce.

If it helps, so few colorists in the comics seem to recall it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Middle Eastern people range in skin tone from black to white.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Honestly I can't believe it took this long for DC to make a slice-of-life batfamily series.

Half the comics they publish are Batman related and somehow they never did this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It should have been a "Making it WAYNE" series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

It should have been a "Making it WAYNE" series.

I'm so amazed at that concept since you linked that clip. It's such a blindingly obvious idea for hiding his secret identity I'm shocked it hasn't been used in the comics.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I've been surprised at how much I enjoy it. It's dark and over the top but not excessively puerile like a lot of his other stuff, and there are some funny bits too.

Speaking of DC books I've been enjoying, The Nice House on the Lake has been interesting so far. Lots of mystery and intrigue with a great setup.

Thanks! Assuming I don't hear about it making GBS threads the bed in the last half, I'll check out the trade. The Nice House on the Lake does sound interesting too, I think I'll look into that as well.

site posted:

I'm surprised by the amount of people I've seen say they were unaware of webtoons until this morning, but anyways yeah it was cute and fun and I'm looking forward to more. i think it would be a good place for a superhero girls comic as well

I feel like webtoon is a more common term in Asia, I've heard it but I'm not quite sure what distinguishes a webtoon from a standard webcomic (is it the vertical format specifically? That seems to be a common feature in what I've seen but I don't know if that's just my seeing a limited selection or what), but either way yeah, they were pretty charming. And I did laugh at Damien's "it's ambiguous." Frankly, I think Damien's a great character for comedy.

Adnor posted:

Honestly I can't believe it took this long for DC to make a slice-of-life batfamily series.

Half the comics they publish are Batman related and somehow they never did this.

I mean, Li'l Gotham certainly had elements of that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Webtoon is the name of the publisher/platform but yeah "webtoon format" refers to the continuous vertical scrolling page it uses and some outside projects have adopted

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I dropped Suicide Squad during the future state stuff. It sucked and when I saw the ongoing was by the same guy I figured it wasn't worth getting. This is the first time I have not gotten a Suicide Squad title that's been available....ever.
Crush and Lobo is a lot of fun and I would recommend that.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Suicide Squad is finally going in on actually holding Waller accountable for, well... being a contemptible piece of poo poo since the N52 started, honestly. It's not what I'd consider a GOOD comic, but right now it's... at least feeling like it actually knows what the hell it's doing with its story?

And also I'm thinking of the number of good identity fakeouts vs. bad because of the issue, and kinda realizing that a LOT of them just, well, suck. I feel like this is one of them.

Gaz-L posted:

She has some kind experimental spinal implant, so, not really.

I mean,maybe not to that comic-book degree, when the comic was made, but this is apparently a thing. And so is this. Literally 'Person with spinal injuries gets spinal implant to regulate impulses that weren't firing right', and everything.

I feel like it's fine personally if the tech used to bring her back onto her feet is, like, not completely out of the realm of reality, just comic book'd up 'a bit' to match the fact that they are living in a universe where people reverse engineer alien supertech for fun and profit, and, uh, where Cyborg had an entire miniseries about how there's a massive number of cybernetically augmented but distinctly NON-Super types?

The original statement of intent always struck me as, like, well meaning but dumb to try and be 'topical'. Like, she could have had a Batgirl suit that literally had powered exoskeletal bits for reinforcement/mobility, but that wouldn't let her show off her pretty hair and fashion sense be 'grounded' enough for a BATMAN book. It's not quite "The Legacy Virus will be cured when AIDS is" in terms of ridiculous statements tied to real world events, but that's the only other comparison I can really think to make.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 9, 2021

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Interesting bits from Jeff Lemire's Substack newsletter:

Lemire posted:

Robin and Batman will not be my last DC or work-for-hire project released. The same time I wrote this series I also wrote another 3-issue oversized Black Label book for one of my all-time favourite artists, Doug Mahnke! That one will be announced this coming month and when it is I’ll get more into it here.

Those will likely be my final two DC or work-for-hire books for the foreseeable future. I loved my years working for DC and Marvel. I got to collaborate with amazing artists. I got to play with incredible characters that I grew up reading. But after a point, the excitement of that wears off. And the truth is things at DC and Marvel have changed dramatically and are no longer really a place where I feel like I can do what I do well.

I did almost do one more DC thing last year though… for a short time I was attached to write Green Lantern for their 5G initiative. We were going to do it as a horror book and it would be the flagship title in the horror line for 5G. But the more I worked on it, the less excited I got and the more things seemed to be in a constant state of flux with the whole initiative. And then Dan Didio was out at DC and I jumped too, not wanting to deal with all of it anymore. It was a near miss and honestly sort of my last flirtation with doing anything significant for the Big Two.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
https://twitter.com/beckycloonan/status/1438132380259205129

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Only ten years late, but I’ll take it. I was pretty adamant that this should be a New 52 launch title.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
gently caress yeah!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I just wish Steph had her actual Batgirl outfit, especially since she's a Batgirl now.

But I'm glad to see this title!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

That art looks so good. I loved Middlewest so I'll definitely be giving this a try as well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Batman: The World had some decent stories and had some bad ones. The best was the French, German and Japanese ones while the worst was the Turkish and Chinese one.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Cloonan is a great fit for Batgirls. Her WW has been pretty fun.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xelkelvos posted:

Batman: The World had some decent stories and had some bad ones. The best was the French, German and Japanese ones while the worst was the Turkish and Chinese one.

Bought it because it’s the closest thing to the Batman Inc anthology series we’ll ever get. Ripped the plastic off to show the guy behind the counter the art, and he grabbed a copy for himself.

Can’t speak for the writing yet, but the art is amazing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Haven't read Batman: World yet but my issue with it is the very distinct lack of any creators from the continent of Africa. I mean it is a pretty big place to leave out in a book celebrating creators from all over the world.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I just wish Steph had her actual Batgirl outfit, especially since she's a Batgirl now.

But I'm glad to see this title!

...it's literally the same outfit just with the Spoiler hood instead of a Bat-cowl. Like as soon as they brought her back the Spoiler outfit has basically been her Batgirl suit just with a Mortal Kombat ninja mask instead.

I really liked this week's Batman TAS book and it kinda feels nicely appropriate for Montoya's sexuality to just not be a big deal in the book when Superman TAS managed to push to make sure Maggie Sawyer's girlfriend was included in that show way back in the 90s. Is this Gloria character based on any existing love interest Renee's had in the mainline comics?

And Nightwing was pretty solid too. Part of me wonders if Taylor's hitting the father/son stuff too hard with Bruce and Dick but gently caress it, it makes me :unsmith: every time. As someone who's not reading the main Bat-books, anyone care to give a brief synopsis of the current state leading into the crossover? Like I get 'Gotham now full fash, because Scarecrow' but is there anything vital beyond that?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

...it's literally the same outfit just with the Spoiler hood instead of a Bat-cowl. Like as soon as they brought her back the Spoiler outfit has basically been her Batgirl suit just with a Mortal Kombat ninja mask instead.

No, it's not the same.

It's similar, but I think the colors, especially the yellow, and the cowl and gloves do make a difference. But I much, much prefer the cowl to the hood.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I like the yellow bat but other than that I think her new costume's better in every way even if it is just Spoiler-but-tweaked.

Gaz-L posted:

And Nightwing was pretty solid too. Part of me wonders if Taylor's hitting the father/son stuff too hard with Bruce and Dick but gently caress it, it makes me :unsmith: every time. As someone who's not reading the main Bat-books, anyone care to give a brief synopsis of the current state leading into the crossover? Like I get 'Gotham now full fash, because Scarecrow' but is there anything vital beyond that?

Nah, you basically got it. If you read any of the Future State Bat-books, this is basically the lead-up to that future.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 22, 2021

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1440364702018662403?s=20

worth a read, although I wish they'd gotten more of the talent involved to go on-record

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

FoneBone posted:

worth a read, although I wish they'd gotten more of the talent involved to go on-record

Same. Find it interesting that Simone did a whole AMA about 52 on Twitter but declined to be interviewed for the article.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ngl, I'm 100% up for a Miracle Molly series. Forget Punchline and Clownkiller. Give her her own series.

That stand alone was very Mood and the art was a good kind of Kirby-esque

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

FoneBone posted:

yeah. I can understand the memories being painful, and unfortunately there's still a lot of comics industry omerta, but I wish that more of the talent screwed over by the DiDio regime (Perez, Zub, Simone, Fialkov, Diggle, Blackman/JHWIII, Kot, etc.) and more of the editorial side had been willing to go on record.

it seems like many of the same things that made New 52 a nightmare for many creators (constant editorial micromanaging, constant changes as to what was and wasn't in continuity, previously approved storylines being rejected after significant work on them had already been completed, etc.) were repeating themselves with 5G and ultimately led to DiDio being fired from DC, so I guess there's some poetic justice to be found there

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

I was initially asked for Demon Knights to be a sort of medieval Justice League, so I initially pitched a bunch of characters who were reasonable representations of later heroes who could be represented at the time: A stranded Green Lantern, a Captain Marvel, a Hawkman and Hawkwoman, for example, and cheeky ideas like Matthew Wain, a cart-maker who became someone very like Batman.
I need to go hang out in Dream's library and read this series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Digging Tom Taylor Nightwing and I did a pretty sizeable read through of pre New 52 Nightwing awhile back and dug that, how are the intervening Nightwing comics, are there particular standouts? are there runs that are particularly dire?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Codependent Poster posted:

It's similar, but I think the colors, especially the yellow, and the cowl and gloves do make a difference. But I much, much prefer the cowl to the hood.

The hood's not great but it really is the yellow that's missing. Would have tied together both of their costumes too.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

Digging Tom Taylor Nightwing and I did a pretty sizeable read through of pre New 52 Nightwing awhile back and dug that, how are the intervening Nightwing comics, are there particular standouts? are there runs that are particularly dire?

Grayson is incredible

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Seconding Grayson being fun, the first... however many issues of the 2016 reboot were alright, just stop reading after he gets shot in the head and pickup with the Tom Taylor issues. Also Batman & Robin with him as Batman and Damian as Robin are great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I really like the Tim Seeley run, it modernises the pre-N52 setting by more clearly making Bludhaven the Atlantic City to Gotham's NYC introduces a neat take by having Dick be a social worker working with recently released meta-criminals which gives the same kind of 'public servant' vibe as the old cop thing without the uncomfortable optics in the 2020s... and I liked the love interest which I know is a somewhat controversial take.

There was basically a fill in by Sam Humphries that was OK and then Ben Percy had his run cut off by the Ric Grayson bullshit. And it's like ramming into a brick wall when Lobdell takes over. Percy did the first issue of Ric and it was "OK, this could be interesting" and then Lobdell starts and immediately the main character is Douchbag McBro-cop, all the previous supporting characters are dropped and... Look, I get Lobdell got hired to do a particular take, there was always gonna be a lot of new poo poo but put it this way: I spent months during the first lockdown catching up on like 3-4 years of Big Two stuff. Nightwing under Lobdell was the ONLY book I gave up entirely on. There's like 20-odd issues in my Comixiology account I've never read, not because I didn't have time, but because I chose to say gently caress off, I can't do it.

EDIT: I also think it's notable that everyone here loves Grayson but hates Tom King so... mmmaybe Seeley was the one doing the stuff people liked? I know the stuff about horny college girls ogling Dick's rear end is much more his wheelhouse than the Hard CIA Man.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I really like the Tim Seeley run, it modernises the pre-N52 setting by more clearly making Bludhaven the Atlantic City to Gotham's NYC introduces a neat take by having Dick be a social worker working with recently released meta-criminals which gives the same kind of 'public servant' vibe as the old cop thing without the uncomfortable optics in the 2020s... and I liked the love interest which I know is a somewhat controversial take.

There was basically a fill in by Sam Humphries that was OK and then Ben Percy had his run cut off by the Ric Grayson bullshit. And it's like ramming into a brick wall when Lobdell takes over. Percy did the first issue of Ric and it was "OK, this could be interesting" and then Lobdell starts and immediately the main character is Douchbag McBro-cop, all the previous supporting characters are dropped and... Look, I get Lobdell got hired to do a particular take, there was always gonna be a lot of new poo poo but put it this way: I spent months during the first lockdown catching up on like 3-4 years of Big Two stuff. Nightwing under Lobdell was the ONLY book I gave up entirely on. There's like 20-odd issues in my Comixiology account I've never read, not because I didn't have time, but because I chose to say gently caress off, I can't do it.

EDIT: I also think it's notable that everyone here loves Grayson but hates Tom King so... mmmaybe Seeley was the one doing the stuff people liked? I know the stuff about horny college girls ogling Dick's rear end is much more his wheelhouse than the Hard CIA Man.

Everyone grew to hate King because he is a one trick Pony and a spook trying to work out his guilt of war crimes with comic books.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe Tom King is a much better writer when he isn't being joyless. Seeley has always been a solid writer who does lighter stuff. Money Shot is definitely much closer to Grayson than Strange Adventures.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Maybe Tom King is a much better writer when he isn't being joyless.

You might be right, the happy stuff in his Batman run was a lot better than the not happy stuff, like the double date between Lois/Clark and Bruce/Selina was a lot of fun.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
He did write the scene where everyone is flabbergasted that Bruce eats a hamburger with a knife and a fork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

He did write the scene where everyone is flabbergasted that Bruce eats a hamburger with a knife and a fork

Duke was the only one flabbergasted, the Robins were all like "oh yeah, that's a thing he does." They didn't approve of it, but it was something they'd seen before.