Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

RaspberrySea posted:

Pretty sure that was Jessica Merizan doing all the damage control. She also said at one point that it was not a glitch that EDI exited the Normandy at the end in the Destroy ending.

oh shoot I remember her, community manager is a stressful job at the best of times and that was not the best of times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Pattonesque posted:

I feel like if they blew straight to the Citadel they'd take some actual Reaper ship casualties (more than if they just took it slow) and the Reapers do not want to take those kind of casualties if they can avoid it

Beelining the citadel would them take it over before the galaxy has more than a few hours to muster their forces, at which point they should be able to shut down the relay network and get all the demographic info from the galactic seat of power like they usually do, which means everyone is isolated and disorganized and they can spend centuries reaping the galaxy piece by piece.

I don't remember even a handwave as to why they didn't do it in 3, beyond the obvious meta reason that doing so means you don't really have a game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

Beelining the citadel would them take it over before the galaxy has more than a few hours to muster their forces, at which point they should be able to shut down the relay network and get all the demographic info from the galactic seat of power like they usually do, which means everyone is isolated and disorganized and they can spend centuries reaping the galaxy piece by piece.

I don't remember even a handwave as to why they didn't do it in 3, beyond the obvious meta reason that doing so means you don't really have a game.

well that's what they normally do, right, but IIRC they lost control of the relay network and had to slowboat it in, which brought them a bunch of jumps away from the Citadel?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Pattonesque posted:

well that's what they normally do, right, but IIRC they lost control of the relay network and had to slowboat it in, which brought them a bunch of jumps away from the Citadel?

Sure, but they can still shut down the network if they reach the citadel physically (that was the whole point behind Sovereign's assault at the end of ME1) and they can move fast enough after reaching the galaxy to assault earth before anyone knows they're here, so it seems like they should have just held off on assaulting earth for a few hours to instead launch their surprise attack on the Citadel and instantly win the war.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
It was definitely the blurst of times, to be sure. Just the massive amounts of confusion and the slow realization that no one From BioWare that was communcationing with fans had any idea what the hell was happening in the endings either.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

I could swear there were turian and volus corpses in the hallways of death, and Anderson talks about seeing more. it was clearly the population of the citadel being harvested, and while they can claim it wasn't everyone, it was definitely a holocaust they were portraying

Sounds like the citadel solution wasn't quite the holocaust you imagined :smuggo:

(I can't belive an actual person at Bioware got paid to write that line jfc)

AnxiousApatosaurus
Sep 2, 2004

Stylist
It also blows my mind that after being the heavy in ME2, Harbinger doesn't really factor into ME3 at all, except to silently shoot at you in a psuedo cutscene. You even have a face-to-face conversation with a reaper, and somehow it's not him :shepface:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I assumed that the Reapers left the Citadel alone because they knew from Sovereign that its inhabitants had successfully tampered with it in unknown ways, so they adopted a cautious strategy of making the various races spread their forces out to the homeworlds so that they wouldn't be available to commit to a trap.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

It also blows my mind that after being the heavy in ME2, Harbinger doesn't really factor into ME3 at all, except to silently shoot at you in a psuedo cutscene. You even have a face-to-face conversation with a reaper, and somehow it's not him :shepface:

BioWare's overriding concern in the development of ME3 was "we want to make sure new players can pick this up and understand what's going on"

which is an admirable goal but also lol, lmao

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

part of the Reaper core concept is that they are a level above concepts of "strategy" and "tactics". you don't need to plan out an order-of-battle for gassing a wasp nest

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
With the Citadel it makes sense that you'd only hit it with overwhelming force completely by surprise, or avoid it until enemy forces have been whittled down/fragmented. The rewards of taking it are huge for the reapers but it's also where they'd expect a majority of fleets and other defences to be stationed, or within close proximity. Multiple attempts to take it have failed in the past, so they go to the Batarians first (since no one likes or trusts them) and work progressively from there.

It's one of the few things about the reaper invasion that doesn't contradict previous games even though it seems weird. They probably overestimated how well prepared the Citadel would be given all the warnings and extra technology they'd been given. ME3 is so loving stupid.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lt. Danger posted:

part of the Reaper core concept is that they are a level above concepts of "strategy" and "tactics". you don't need to plan out an order-of-battle for gassing a wasp nest

They're immortal god-machines who are cautious and thorough. They spent centuries fighting the Protheans. Waiting a few months to go after the Citadel after they had lost some Reapers this cycle is definitely within their MO.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
also if I'm a billion year-old gestalt consciousness I don't want to like, die

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Pattonesque posted:

also if I'm a billion year-old gestalt consciousness I don't want to like, die

its this.

given the implication that they make one reaper per species they harvest, they only get to make a handful of sovereigns per cycle, at best, and the prothean cycle provided only one Sovereign class given how the protheans subjugated everyone else

they already lost several, and thats probably 100000 years right there. their numbers aren't as limitless as they try to make you think

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno I'm pretty sure if all 10000 or whatever reapers showed up at the citadel at once that place would've been toast in minutes

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
One thing that I wish there was a bit of in the in-game ME lore iare the technical abilities of the weaponry of different species. What kinds of technical differences are there in the armament of Human ships versus Turians, Asari, etc.? Also, other than being huge, what makes Reaper vessels so formidable? What about their armor makes them so resistant to conventional arms? What makes their weapons so powerful that they can decimate flagships in one shot?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

mA posted:

One thing that I wish there was a bit of in the in-game ME lore iare the technical abilities of the weaponry of different species. What kinds of technical differences are there in the armament of Human ships versus Turians, Asari, etc.? Also, other than being huge, what makes Reaper vessels so formidable? What about their armor makes them so resistant to conventional arms? What makes their weapons so powerful that they can decimate flagships in one shot?

The Citadel species use a combined arms strategy, I believe, they share technology for the most part freely. Thanix cannons are a Turian invention based on Sovereign's architecture, the Normandy is a Hierarchy-Alliance joint development project, etc. The Asari Republics are the main exception, since they store stockpiles of advanced Prothean technology that they mete out as a "new discovery" whenever it looks like they need a geopolitical edge over the rest of the galaxy, but none of that's public. They claim to freely share weapons tech with everyone else.

There's a little data about Reaper ship technology in the ME3 codex, mostly about their FTL drives (fast) and their vastly superior ship weapons ranges, which forces Milky Way ships approaching them to cross a meatgrinder firing line before they can get into range to start shooting, making it nearly impossible for them to take the initiative in engagements without getting torn to shreds.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They've got freaky powerful mass effect cores, so they're far more maneuverable than conventional big ships, and they don't seem to need to discharge. Their biggest advantage is logistical, though they do have superior shields and armor, and weapons based on jets of molten metal sprayed at relativistic speeds.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

They've got freaky powerful mass effect cores, so they're far more maneuverable than conventional big ships, and they don't seem to need to discharge.

I think it's in one of the codecs (Miracle of Palavan maybe?) that the Reapers sheer size means they actually less maneuverable, so the Turians were initially tearing them using point blank FTL jumps to perform hit and run attacks on them

The Reapers pushed hard against Palavan to take away the Turians mobility and force them into a battle of attrition

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Bongo Bill posted:

If you look at the skybox in the last area, there's still traffic above the wards, so who fuckin' knows.

This is just the space equivalent of all the doordash people still out and about during lockdown

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bongo Bill posted:

and weapons based on jets of molten metal sprayed at relativistic speeds.

the reapers invented taco night

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So I encountered a really weird bug. I've been replaying the whole trilogy in the Legendary Edition, and I'm at Cronos Station in ME3, and suddenly my game starts locking up and crashing after 2-3 minutes. Literally never had a single crash across all 3 games until now.

After a bunch of troubleshooting, doing the Verify Files thing etc., it seems like decreasing my GPU's overclock by like 10% fixes it. The really weird thing is the game is pushing the GPU's overclock to max, but not actually straining it to full load or anything, and I've tested a couple more graphics-intensive games with the overclock at full and had no issues, so it doesn't seem to actually be a symptom of a dying GPU (I loving hope)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mA posted:

As mentioned, the Reapers aren't shooting lasers, it's gigantic focussed sprays of ultra-hot metal. I always wondered if that was based on the story Earthlight by Arthur C Clarke - a similar weapon features heavily in that.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

I like how he drops down for the final run, starts sniping everyone trying to get to the beam (instead of, you know, shutting the beam down), then patiently waits while the Normandy drops in to pick up the squad mates.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Well it IS a stealth ship

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Seemlar posted:

I think it's in one of the codecs (Miracle of Palavan maybe?) that the Reapers sheer size means they actually less maneuverable, so the Turians were initially tearing them using point blank FTL jumps to perform hit and run attacks on them

The Reapers pushed hard against Palavan to take away the Turians mobility and force them into a battle of attrition

On the other hand, on Virmire, Joker talks about Sovereign pulling a really incredibly tight turn. Maybe it's just that they're more maneuverable than dreadnoughts, but still can't turn like a frigate?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Sovereign got the vanguard job based on his turning ability and nothing else

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
2 MASS 2 EFFECT: SOVEREIGN DRIFTU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fuzz posted:

2 MASS 2 EFFECT: SOVEREIGN DRIFTU

Jesus christ I need mario kart but mass effect now

We already have the bobblehead animation

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

RFC2324 posted:

Jesus christ I need mario kart but mass effect now

We already have the bobblehead animation

Only if, every time you hit somebody else with a weapon, harbinger says I KNOW YOU FEEL THIS

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Only if, every time you hit somebody else with a weapon, harbinger says I KNOW YOU FEEL THIS

The biggest blue shell gently caress you

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Get that item that swaps left and right on your controls and he says, "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL."

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm just trying to figure out if it's funnier hearing mario drop these lines in my head or have the actual harbinger voice dropped in over mario kart.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

All I know is I wanna race my kart as Javik.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

https://twitter.com/astrolunos/status/1012441356235657216?s=19

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

No Saren on his little floaty podium. Fail.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm agonizing over if its better to have Shep on the Mako and Garrus on the Normandy but I can't think of anything better so I approve :hmmyes:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

I'm agonizing over if its better to have Shep on the Mako and Garrus on the Normandy but I can't think of anything better so I approve :hmmyes:

As long as Joker is riding EDI piggyback, it's fine.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I am legitimately sad that this game doesn't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I played the Overlord DLC for the first time and lmao that the Andromeda apparently played through that and said, "Yes, this is the experience we want to expand to a full game."

Also, I thought that when people referred to the autism stuff it was like a metaphor for something but, uh, nope. Literally says, "His autistic mind can communicate with the geth!" Yikes!