Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

They most likely weren't. Beverage companies, among others, use their own stockers now instead of having the store do the stocking.

I don't know the why behind doing it that way, but I'm sure somebody will chime in with an answer.

Despite knowing that bread, frozen, chips, and soft drinks are all stocked by the vendors/contractors, I never bothered to ask why when I worked at the grocery store. I can speculate that bread and chips has something to do with the companies thinking their people handle the product better? Or maybe volume--stores would have to keep entire teams on hand just to restock those four sections when instead the vendor can pay some roving contractor to go store-to-store and top things up daily. Or something.

ReidRansom posted:

That's not a new thing. I had a buddy that did that for a milk company like 20-some odd years ago after high school but before he joined the Marines. Paid surprisingly well too. At the time at least. He didn't deliver the milk to the stores, that was someone else. He just went around store to store taking the milk that had already been delivered and putting it in the coolers. I guess it gives the brand/producer more control over their display? Maybe it has something to do with the way brands bid for prime shelf space at markets as well.

I think brand control and stock handling are probably the big things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ReidRansom posted:

That's not a new thing. I had a buddy that did that for a milk company like 20-some odd years ago after high school but before he joined the Marines. Paid surprisingly well too. At the time at least. He didn't deliver the milk to the stores, that was someone else. He just went around store to store taking the milk that had already been delivered and putting it in the coolers. I guess it gives the brand/producer more control over their display? Maybe it has something to do with the way brands bid for prime shelf space at markets as well.

It's this too, beverage makers have had this down for decades now but it's common for a lot of high volume products like ice cream/etc. too. So instead of, say having a separate person employee or like a district manager or whatever position person within the store worry about it the distributor itself handles both managing the inventory and making sure whatever space is there per brand is filled up correctly.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

It is entirely to allow for quality control and inventory management to be done reliably. And then there are outside auditors that swing by and check that each brand is in fact getting the space and placement they paid for

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Despite knowing that bread, frozen, chips, and soft drinks are all stocked by the vendors/contractors, I never bothered to ask why when I worked at the grocery store. I can speculate that bread and chips has something to do with the companies thinking their people handle the product better? Or maybe volume--stores would have to keep entire teams on hand just to restock those four sections when instead the vendor can pay some roving contractor to go store-to-store and top things up daily. Or something.

I think brand control and stock handling are probably the big things.

I can also see it helping with division of labor. Every minute the person in the big truck spends stocking shelves is a minute they aren’t dropping off goods at the next store. It makes sense to have someone in a normal car come behind to stock because it frees the big truck up.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I would have murdered for something like that when I worked in pet retail because 90% of the nightmare at that job was never having enough labor for freight day or inventory management in general. Spots on the shelf could be bare for months until someone noticed and fixed it; fixtures we're almost always out of date which just made stocking that much harder and difficult to accomplish in a reasonable amount of time. poo poo sucks and it's 100% fixable if these loving giant rear end companies would just spring for enough loving labor, but THEM QUARTERLY GAINS

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Professor Beetus posted:

I would have murdered for something like that when I worked in pet retail because 90% of the nightmare at that job was never having enough labor for freight day or inventory management in general. Spots on the shelf could be bare for months until someone noticed and fixed it; fixtures we're almost always out of date which just made stocking that much harder and difficult to accomplish in a reasonable amount of time. poo poo sucks and it's 100% fixable if these loving giant rear end companies would just spring for enough loving labor, but THEM QUARTERLY GAINS

thats also an inventory management problem. someone in the store should be responsible for tracking and ordering new stock, and they should be noticing that suddenly you aren't selling any of the big box of greenies and going out on the floor to figure out why numbers aren't lining up with reality.

that person exists for every store, but not all GMs realize that if they don't hire someone else to do it it falls on them

freight day always sucks

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RFC2324 posted:

thats also an inventory management problem. someone in the store should be responsible for tracking and ordering new stock, and they should be noticing that suddenly you aren't selling any of the big box of greenies and going out on the floor to figure out why numbers aren't lining up with reality.

that person exists for every store, but not all GMs realize that if they don't hire someone else to do it it falls on them

freight day always sucks

Yeah, I was that person at one time, and my life was a living hell because I had to work 99% closing shifts with no adequate staffing to both manage staff and customers AND get anything of my actual stated job done. And of course I realized that the only reason anyone ever did was by cutting corners in sometimes dangerous and unethical ways, and I wasn't going to compromise my own personal work ethics that put taking my allotted breaks and ensuring that if I couldn't manage my stress on the clock I would at least take breaks from it. The piece de resistance of this whole shebang with inventory was the complete lack of support from loss prevention, or even coherent and consistent messaging from them on how much bullshit we had to tolerate from scammers from any given time. Or how much evidence we had to have before turning down clearly obvious return fraud (my personal favorite is when they bring stuff they clearly bought at big box A when this is big box b and we have our own exclusive line unique to us). Typically I am 100% in favor of defrauding private companies, but don't do it in a way that makes my job harder; real customers do that enough as is. The least you could do is stop this return fraud bullshit and just shoplift the poo poo you need or can sell on ebay or whatever. So yeah entire sections of the store were constantly destroyed by both high theft and dipshit customers that feel the need to handle each and every item they even consider purchasing and then can't figure out how to put anything back where they found it, or at least just left it in a basket or something.

Anyway that's a lot of venting prompted by retail PTSD but my point is that this poo poo is endemic and frustrating and the obvious answer is more staff but that just cuts into the middle managers ability to slash labor to the bone and get big bonuses on the backs of store managers, dept managers, and staff forced to either violate labor laws to get their jobs done or let their store drown in endless work that can never get done on time. The store needed roughly double the labor to have the store standards done as written in store policies but gently caress that, the people that do nothing but snippy emails about why some dumbass promotion isn't going well and jump in at surprise visits to rake people over the coals for the inevitable consequences of not being given any loving labor hours.

If I have to busk on the street corner I will loving do that before going back to any kind of retail or customer service ever again. Thankless nightmare hell with the occasional bright spot or fellow nihilistic coworkers who are also being crushed by capital can only help so much, and something finally snapped. My boss, while I was in between ER visits as mystery illness ravaged my body and made it impossible to eat, sent me terse text messages about how if I wanted to keep my job I needed to figure out if I wanted to come to work or not. Never again, I have a mother loving English degree, I have a guitar with several hats to choose from if I go the busking route, and I have infinitely more dignity and love for myself than when I was in that hell. What demeaning practically slave labor to feel trapped into by the need to hang on for 'good insurance' because of your lifelong incurable disease.

Anywho that's uh pretty e/n rather than tech nightmare so much, but I assure you 95% of that anger and frustration pouring out was due to being denied the necessary to do the inventory management job I actually would have liked without the massive workplace law violations and general lovely treatment and wildly poor treatment from everyone from your store manager on up. It's actually an interesting place in technology right now and the last upgrade to it was really cool! I loved that part. I hated seeing animals have their care neglected because only so many plates can be spun at once and a delegated task or 5 failed to get done because of no labor hours and every single person you talk to treating you like you have infinite time.

Tl;Dr don't work in retail inventory management unless you're high enough level to be the person that just gets to send passive aggressive emails

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Being “high enough“ helps in every job* no matter the seniority.

*offer does not apply to anyone operating heavy machinery, sorry.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Smoking weed and delivering grubhub was probably the most relaxing job I ever had. Barely paid the rent, sure, but drat it was chill.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Sorry to interrupt zoning chat again but I forgot to mention that the state unemployment system I wrote about a few posts up also requires you to now register with "We ID" or something like that and, in addition to requiring anything a hacker might need to know to fake a passport, it also works about as well as you'd expect. You have to submit pristine photos of your license and then a facial recognition video that also does not work if you wear glasses or the thing doesn't care for your lighting direction.

I think I spent more time submitting my claim today then I did looking for work and half of that time was submitting all my personal information into a state run website that is inoperable half the time. I'm sure they put as much time into their security measures as they do making sure I didn't fleece them for $250 loving dollars.

My brothers unemployment got interrupted for a while because (second hand info here so exact terminology details unclear) his account was flagged as possibly compromised, including his security question, which they required him to provide a new answer for. Not select a new question and answer, just a new answer. To “what is your mother’s maiden name”.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Steve French posted:

My brothers unemployment got interrupted for a while because (second hand info here so exact terminology details unclear) his account was flagged as possibly compromised, including his security question, which they required him to provide a new answer for. Not select a new question and answer, just a new answer. To “what is your mother’s maiden name”.

"Uh... Hunter2?"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Security question are dumb, and the fact that there' several infosec articles that say you should just have another secure password as its input is also dumb.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I lost access to a 20-year-old hotmail account because I forgot to update the backup email, and after moving overseas the only other way to verify my login was to correctly re-enter all of my biographical information from approximately the year 2000 (which I'm sure I also entered truthfully at the time).

I've also seen hilarious stories of people being locked out of two gmail accounts forever because they didn't enter a phone number or other bio info, went travelling, and had one send a verification email to the other.

I just can't wait until someone comes up with a better authentication method than all of this poo poo. If it's a physical token, so be it.

(Also puzzling - Duo Mobile being used as 'two-factor' authentication when you log in from your phone's browser...)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

eXXon posted:

(Also puzzling - Duo Mobile being used as 'two-factor' authentication when you log in from your phone's browser...)

trying to figure out whats puzzling about this? is it the fact that the 'something you have' factor is your phone whether or not thats what you are actually using to login?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/daveyalba/status/1436421344036593677

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
“Technical Error” riiiight.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

trying to figure out whats puzzling about this? is it the fact that the 'something you have' factor is your phone whether or not thats what you are actually using to login?

Yes. I get that the point is to need a password and access to a physical device but in the case of logging in from your phone, there's no added benefit from the Duo app.

Does this matter in practice? If you leave your phone unlocked - okay, you'll be in poo poo anyway because you probably have emails readily available, apps with saved passwords, etc, but also even logins saved with a secure password manager are vulnerable.

I'm not sure what I'd propose as an alternative second factor that's not available from a phone because email clearly isn't going to work, but presumably a physical key would as long as you don't leave it plugged in to your phone too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I have physical copies of all my important passwords and logins on a rolodex.

Security through primitivism.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

eXXon posted:

Yes. I get that the point is to need a password and access to a physical device but in the case of logging in from your phone, there's no added benefit from the Duo app.

It’s because the thing you’re logging into has no way to trust that you’re using your phone to log in. (Aside from the authenticator app.)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

eXXon posted:

Does this matter in practice? If you leave your phone unlocked - okay, you'll be in poo poo anyway because you probably have emails readily available, apps with saved passwords, etc, but also even logins saved with a secure password manager are vulnerable.

I'm not sure what I'd propose as an alternative second factor that's not available from a phone because email clearly isn't going to work, but presumably a physical key would as long as you don't leave it plugged in to your phone too.

set your phone to wipe on 5 failures, don't use a pin/biometrics/weak password, and keep your phone locked when not in use, and you are safe enough from the vast majority of realistic threats.

Also, what mfa is proving is that both factors are filled: what you know(your password) and what you have(your phone). either your phone is secured or it isn't and at that point it doesn't matter where you are actually logging in from.

for comedy value, you can always configure duo to just call you

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Baronash posted:

This is what I'm talking about. Everyone involved in this discussion has their own idea of what is and is not a suburb (like this poster who is literally describing a housing development/subdivision), so all this thread has done is go back and forth about "culture" because discussing anything else relevant to housing would actually require doing research.

They're "subdividing" residential neighborhoods off Main and Broadway through the entire goddamn town. They tore out benches, then sidewalks downtown and then complain businesses without parking lots are failing. They stopped maintaining any packed earth road that didn't have a name, then they tore them out and now they're complaining about traffic and so they're adding more lights to east main.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 13, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Big Hubris posted:

They're "subdividing" residential neighborhoods off Main and Broadway through the entire goddamn town. They tore out benches, then sidewalks downtown and then complain businesses without parking lots are failing. They stopped maintaining any packed earth road that didn't have a name, then they tore them out and now they're complaining about traffic and so they're adding more lights to east main.

What town is this, just for reference? I would like to know of I need to scream at my local government. Well, scream more

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/09/technology/codex-artificial-intelligence-coding.html

Disingenuous article. But a lol to read

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

But in all seriousness, the last time I checked, Github Copilot was a complete shitshow for numerous reasons - not the least of which is that it was trained on every public repository regardless of licensing, making it a lawsuit honeypot. I don't know anyone who has even tried to use it productively after tinkering with it for an hour or two.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eXXon posted:

not the least of which is that it was trained on every public repository regardless of licensing, making it a lawsuit honeypot

But you're not gonna get sued, they'll just sue the algorithm. Right?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Wasn't it also trained on private repositories? It was spitting out functional APIs

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Tuxedo Gin posted:

My anecdote about how horrible non-car infrastructure is in the US is that I once lived 1 mile from my work. I thought it was going to be great and I'd walk/bike to work every day - except that they were separated by a major interstate and the only way to work was on the road that went under it and had a huge onramp with no lights/crossing.

I tried to bike it a few times and almost died a few times to cars zooming onto or off of the on/offramps at 60mph and gave up. I drove a mile to work and a mile home for 2 years before I moved and changed jobs.

I lived 3 miles from my job for 6 years. I would have loved to just ride a bike but the road between my job and my house was so dangerous that it was basically impossible (in TX of course).

How are u posted:

Smoking weed and delivering grubhub was probably the most relaxing job I ever had. Barely paid the rent, sure, but drat it was chill.

I was a pizza guy for a while back when I was a kid and it was the ultimate slacker/stoner job. Cash tips for beer later was always a bonus.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Wasn't it also trained on private repositories? It was spitting out functional APIs

It was also spitting out private keys for those APIs as well, for added efficiency

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's ok, that fixed that by creating a list of "naughty words" it won't let you autocomplete on.
https://twitter.com/moyix/status/1432085687365513225

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1437805999453360140

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1437809144149520387

Interesting way to phrase "the cruelty is the point."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Anyone watched Mike Judge's Silicon Valley? It touches on a lot of poo poo we get on about in this thread but this little clip in particular is basically my entire relationship with just about anything tech related, especially if it's new and "cutting edge"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YOEEpWAXgU

They go from a VR hologram, to Zoom all the way down to phone chat and speaker phone and none of it loving works.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone watched Mike Judge's Silicon Valley? It touches on a lot of poo poo we get on about in this thread but this little clip in particular is basically my entire relationship with just about anything tech related, especially if it's new and "cutting edge"

They go from a VR hologram, to Zoom all the way down to phone chat and speaker phone and none of it loving works.

It is absolutely spot on about so many things.

Mildly NSFW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex1JuIN0eaA

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Nope, entirely accurate.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Volmarias posted:

It is absolutely spot on about so many things.

Mildly NSFW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex1JuIN0eaA

LOL. I just binged through it and it really hit home for me on a ton of levels. I didn't realize it was such an old show either (since I'm basically 5 years behind anything involving a computer).

I was waiting for the scene I posted to move on one step further into email or text messages that hosed up due to auto correct or things going into a spam filter and expecting them to resort to a land line that poo poo the bed because nobody knew how to transfer a call or Gavin having to navigate the "press 1 for this, press 2 for that" poo poo as the voice recognition gives him that "I'm sorry. I didn't understand. Did you say 'yes'?" horseshit.

I've had those automated operators gently caress my poo poo up just because I coughed, a loud Harley drove by, my son was talking or it picked up some sound from the TV.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

T mobile had one a while ago on the customer support line. It asked what you were calling about, and only had certain things it knew about. If it didn't understand you after 4 tries it would apologize and then HANG UP ON YOU. That was the closest I ever came to throwing my phone through a window.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah with automated operators I almost always try shortcuts to get to a person like asking for an operator or pressing 0

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

They basically just replicate the business's website, but slower and shittier. If I'm calling on a phone, odds are I need an actual human!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

You guys ought to try claiming a warranty sometime.

They put you through a maze of phone numbers, put you on hold, transfer you, disconnect you, automate your call, tell you to visit the website (which eventually tells you to call the number) and, in the unlikely event you get anywhere, want you to crawl underneath your appliance with a head lamp and read the serial/part #. There are like 4 or 5 different numbers on that tiny sticker if you're able to find it. If you visit the store where you bought it, they'll tell you have to visit the website.

Then back to the website to fill out a form, etc. that you can't email or electronically sign and must be faxed.

This is particularly fun if the product in question is a phone or a computer, for obvious reasons.

The only sure fire way I know to get past the robot receptionist is to press the number that lets you pay a bill or order new additional services or products. Oddly enough, those calls get through really quickly and a live representative is almost immediately on the line more than willing to help you and promptly take your credit card #.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BiggerBoat posted:

You guys ought to try claiming a warranty sometime.

They put you through a maze of phone numbers, put you on hold, transfer you, disconnect you, automate your call, tell you to visit the website (which eventually tells you to call the number) and, in the unlikely event you get anywhere, want you to crawl underneath your appliance with a head lamp and read the serial/part #. There are like 4 or 5 different numbers on that tiny sticker if you're able to find it. If you visit the store where you bought it, they'll tell you have to visit the website.

Then back to the website to fill out a form, etc. that you can't email or electronically sign and must be faxed.

This is particularly fun if the product in question is a phone or a computer, for obvious reasons.

The only sure fire way I know to get past the robot receptionist is to press the number that lets you pay a bill or order new additional services or products. Oddly enough, those calls get through really quickly and a live representative is almost immediately on the line more than willing to help you and promptly take your credit card #.

I've only ever tried to claim a warranty for a logitech mouse and they sent me a brand new replacement for a 4 year old gaming mouse with very few questions asked. I dread the day I am forced to try and claim a warranty for an actual big ticket item.

v I was lucky enough to get a very nice LG LED set before everything was smart tvs. I finally upgraded to a 4k last year and while it's a great tv, the dumb poo poo they fill it with makes it a giant pain in the rear end. I wanted a tv, not a lovely computer. I have good computers and game consoles. I just need a drat screen. v

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I've only ever tried to claim a warranty for a logitech mouse and they sent me a brand new replacement for a 4 year old gaming mouse with very few questions asked. I dread the day I am forced to try and claim a warranty for an actual big ticket item.

It aint fun. And in my experience it's almost next to impossible. A war of attrition that's entirely by design. Small stuff like your mouse? That's easy since it only cost them like $1 or something to send you a new one and bump up their Google reviews or whatever about their kick rear end customer service. Selling poo poo like that for them is entirely based on volume which doesn't apply to things that cost more than, say, $1000.

To be honest, I'm genuinely surprised that the TVs I bought 7 or 8 years ago still work even though they're not "smart" and I don't really give a poo poo about that anyway. A Ruku, Xbox, PS5 or Apple TV makes my TV as "smart' as I need it. Hell, my old Wii can still deliver me Netflix.

Anyway, here's another example worthless tech from Silicone Valley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOVVzdLy69w