Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CubeTheory posted:

no I think they're just pissed at you

I think you not getting this is the problem

Found another guy who’s upset

Did you know if you’re pissed at a person you can just ignore them? It’s endorsed by the mods and admins

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Harrow posted:

Yeah those are well over a decade old and nobody enforces a lot of them anymore. People sure as hell don't enforce the "respect mods" one, for example, been a while since anyone got got for mod sass.

The Games mod list on there is Cowcaster, Kewpuh, Zoolooman, and Shalinor. I don't even know who two of those people are. No I will not say which two.

Shalinor never did much, I think I'm one of maybe ten probations she ever put through. But her game SkateBird is out either today or tomorrow, so that's cool.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

at this point the games feedback thread has devolved into a general chat thread and honestly does not seem to have much hope for returning to a straightforward games forum/modding feedback thread; it probably belongs in CCCC or failing that simply gassed and given a fresh start imo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

at this point the games feedback thread has devolved into a general chat thread and honestly does not seem to have much hope for returning to a straightforward games forum/modding feedback thread; it probably belongs in CCCC or failing that simply gassed and given a fresh start imo

this bit also sucks

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Seriously though, just gas the thread. It sucked from start to finish and nothing was learned by anyone

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

thetoughestbean posted:

Seriously though, just gas the thread. It sucked from start to finish and nothing was learned by anyone

I learned that I should probably chill out a little bit.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Found another guy who’s upset

Did you know if you’re pissed at a person you can just ignore them? It’s endorsed by the mods and admins

Blocking someone who is actively doing their damndest to make the forums worse for everyone doesn't stop them from doing that, unlike how blocking someone whose posts are just personally annoying to you because you don't have a sense of humor gets rid of the problem entirely.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, slow mode off again.

I'll leave the thread open for a bit more in case there's more actual feedback that I should respond to, but I will probably close the thread overnight when none of us mods will be around.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Shortest Path posted:

Blocking someone who is actively doing their damndest to make the forums worse for everyone doesn't stop them from doing that, unlike how blocking someone whose posts are just personally annoying to you because you don't have a sense of humor gets rid of the problem entirely.

So you’re saying… mods and admins should take active steps to stop people who are actively making the forums worse? Wild I thought the thread settled on that being a bad thing

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

So you’re saying… mods and admins should take active steps to stop people who are actively making the forums worse? Wild I thought the thread settled on that being a bad thing

Repeating arguments without context in an effort to twist the words around and make people realize we were arguing against ourselves is not the puppet master genius move you think it is and this is not debate club.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

No I have been extremely consistent in wanting FAUXTON, and now probably also yourself, banned. Your posts suck rear end and your gimmick stopped being funny the first time you posted with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

The difference is that there is a fundamental disagreement about which group of people are the ones making the forums worse, I believe. (Look at me, trying to mediate.)

Mordiceius put it well by referring to it as a culture war. I've used that term myself when talking to VG and other mods. Feels like right now Games is the current front in the constant argument among posters (and mods) about what Something Awful is and should be.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is there really much of that outside this thread?

E: Like, I dunno it just seems like there's some blizzchat posters upset their thread got moved to CCCC

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

QCS is the usual battleground.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Shortest Path posted:

No I have been extremely consistent in wanting FAUXTON, and now probably also yourself, banned. Your posts suck rear end and your gimmick stopped being funny the first time you posted with it.

I’m sorry you don’t enjoy being trolled op have you tried growing a sense of humor

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I meant in Games. Outside of this thread I think the subforum has basically been the same as ever.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

E: Like, I dunno it just seems like there's some blizzchat posters upset their thread got moved to CCCC

The entire whole of the last several pages has been solely because of those people, yeah. Games has been pretty much great and I don't think anything needs changing

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

its actually just FAUXTON specifically

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm just glad the forum still accepts me as the Games idiot court jester

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Yeah most of the people from Blizzwatch are happy to be back in CCCC, myself included

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m sorry you don’t enjoy being trolled op have you tried growing a sense of humor
dangerous levels of caremad radiating from this post, watch out folks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I meant in Games. Outside of this thread I think the subforum has basically been the same as ever.

Oh yeah, in that case that's pretty much true.

I do think this has been simmering for a while. I've been aware that people were dissatisfied with how we were handling posters like Stux and situations like the Stadia thread so I think it was probably a matter of time before people started using the feedback thread to voice that (and people came to push back against it and/or troll).

edit: I also don't think it's Blizzwatch people or they'd be yelling at me more while I'm posting about Guild Wars over there

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Asema posted:

You don't have to meet their weirdness with even more weirdness man like can you please take an actual step back and try to find a way to just stop talking about whatever weird grudge you two nerds have against each other. You waited 6 hours to come back in and stir the pot again like are you going to be here in 40 years quoting a post at a new mod or are you just gonna let things drop.

This goes for both of you. At least PM each other and make out in private or something.

That's soooooo Weird!!!!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm just glad the forum still accepts me as the Games idiot court jester

I enjoy your posts because I look at your avatar and it reminds me of Homeworld, which owned

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

homeless snail posted:

dangerous levels of caremad radiating from this post, watch out folks

gently caress I should pull this out every time someone says “get a sense of humor”

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

It's less of a culture war and more two cliques sitting next to each other in the high school cafeteria deciding they don't like each other. One of them likes funny well-thought-out quips and the other likes boring unedited wall-of-text stream-of-consciousness screeds. Luckily Something Awful is a big rear end cafeteria with many, many tables, so there is room for everybody. It's not like the streets are red with the blood of slain posters and every thread is under seige, there are literally 2 threads and like 4 posters that all of this conversation is revolving around. I guarantee you that no poster who doesn't read Blizzwatch or State of Games would say there is a culture war in the forum, and 90% of the ones who DO read these threads would also not say there is a culture war, just a couple of posters are mad.

Games, like SA, like any community, will be whatever the people that invest time in it make it, which will be many things and not a singular one. The mods will cover the like 5% of that through extreme edge cases, and the other 95% comes from what some call "self-policing" but is really just the natural self-selection of people wanting to have conversations with other people that want to have the same kinds of conversations, and not with people that don't. Even all the slapfighting in QCS works that way - those are people that, at that moment, want to have a slapfight, so they do, whereas here people mostly want to post news, experiences, opinions, and maybe a few jokes about games, which is what happens in every other thread in this subforum 99% of the time.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The part in Homeworld where Kharak burns still gets me

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Harrow posted:

ctual feedback that I should respond to

mod's rear end

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Adagio for Stux

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

free stux

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Adagio for Stux

drat that song cuts me to my gay core dude

Such a good moment drat

The violin kicks in and Fleet command's voice breaks. gently caress

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

Something Awful is a big rear end cafeteria

I'm the big rear end

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
My feedback is that a version of VG’s long post should be appended to the games rules thread. It’s a very clear articulation of a moderation philosophy.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Lmao at the trolling posters getting mad at being nice-trolled back and getting big mad about it.

It's goddamn art.

Just FAUXTON doing FAUXTON things.

Like, maybe NOONE posts trolly poo poo and more folks are happy in general. Bonkers.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Harrow posted:

For me, it's an issue of severity. I personally think that "sometimes annoying" almost never rises to the level of "I don't want you on this site anymore" no matter how long they keep it up or how much probations fail to change that behavior.

I can say that sometimes reports can clue us into ongoing situations that a 6- or 12-hour probation can defuse, or even a mod coming in to say "hey, knock it off." That's the value in reporting a post that's just going to get a 6er or a 12er for. The unfortunate reality is that sometimes all three of us aren't here and reports like that get missed, and yeah, at that point we're probably not going to go back and 6er something when it won't actually accomplish anything.

For what it's worth I don't think Games really has situations come up that a 6- or 12-hour probation can defuse, at least not in any of the threads that I read. I've seen situations that a 6- or 12-hour probation paused, but pausing is not the same thing as defusing. I can see the value in giving someone a 6 hour probation if they're usually a good poster who has gotten a little too heated, but I just don't think that happens much in Games, unless it happens a lot in the Switch thread or something that I don't read (and already has an IK anyway).

Harrow posted:

The difference is that there is a fundamental disagreement about which group of people are the ones making the forums worse, I believe. (Look at me, trying to mediate.)

Mordiceius put it well by referring to it as a culture war. I've used that term myself when talking to VG and other mods. Feels like right now Games is the current front in the constant argument among posters (and mods) about what Something Awful is and should be.

Honestly I think that's really just a function of Games being the most popular forum, and it having an open feedback thread that isn't QCS-poisoned. If this thread didn't exist you'd never know there was an issue, primarily because outside of a tiny handful of threads there isn't an issue in Games. Honestly I don't think this is your responsibility to deal with Harrow, or any of the other mods of Games, at least not as a sub-unit of the overall leadership. It's not something the Games mods can even try to resolve on their own.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I'm weird and a freak

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Doublestep posted:

I'm weird and a freak

Same

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
"fauxton was just trolling and wasn't threatening to sue Jeffrey in the blizzwatch thread literally yesterday" is a wild pivot but I respect it. a tried and true classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Doublestep posted:

I'm weird and a freak

Lmao at anyone who thinks they aren't a weird freak posting on something awful lol