Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Barudak posted:

Also one huge QoL miss in this game is not letting you know the level difficulty of Zeugles or quests. After Zone 5 I was level 36 and able to accept a quest that culminated in dropping me off in an unfleeable encounter with a level 63 boss who wiped the floor with me in seconds

Yeah the post area five subquest explosion kinda sucks because most of them are in your expected level range so you figure you can do all of them, and them bam an innocuous "find the hidden fishing cave!" quest drops you in an area with level 55 zeugles that - if you somehow push through - culminates in a level 60+ boss.

Honestly the sidquests in genreal suck rear end in Arise, only a handful have had an interesting narrative angle and the rest are almost all "Oh no there's [big zeugle/pack of zeugles] causing us [convoluted problem] please go kill them" and it's about as engaging as low level area MMO filler quests. Legitimately pining for the days of ferrying a dozen love letters back and forth between Engeve, Kaitzur, and Chesedonia here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Nostalgic kid memories of going around naming all of the dogs with Colette or getting free items with Zelos :allears:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SpazmasterX posted:

Is there a list for Rinwell's combo spells yet? I feel like I'm probably missing one or two and she's my go-to for chunky bosses since the AI loathes exploiting weaknesses.

quote:

Rinwell:
Freeze Lancer (Spread + Spread)
Tidal Wave (Freeze Lancer + Freeze Lancer/Spread)

Holy Lance (Thunder Blade + Thunder Blade)
Divine Saber (Holy Lance + Holy Lance/Thunder Blade)

Cross Blade (Air Thrust + Air Thrust)
Cyclone (Cross Blade + Cross Blade/Air Thrust)

Maelstrom (Cross Blade + Spread)
Shooting Star (Holy Lance + Freeze Lancer)
Meteor Storm (Burning Strike + Divine Saber)

That's all of her spells. Each will be learned as a standalone spell eventually.

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
drat, the bosses in this game, the humanoid ones in particular, suck rear end. Whenever I get to a heal spot and a weapon forger, I've taken to groaning because I know there's a tedious bullshit fight coming up. I feel like it wouldn't be nearly as bad if it wasn't such a jarring shift from being able to effortlessly mow down enemy mobs. It just feels weird like this.

Just fought (area 3) Dohalim and... does the game assume I have access to Boost attacks constantly? He wiped the floor with me and I was only able to block one single attack, the timing seems really weird/finicky. At the end he'd spam the Mystic Arte thing, or whatever it was, several times in a row. I resorted to cheesing it with dodge rolls and Demon Fang spam because gently caress this noise.

Story/characters: For once, the game's breakneck pace works in its favor. Kisara's freak-out makes sense when she has no time to digest the newest gut punch when another is delivered immediately after. Oops, Dahnans are sacrificed despite what you thought! (Was the soylent green lake mentioned at any point earlier? Feels like it came out of nowhere, and the whole thing would've been exposed if Dohalim ever got the inclination of actually visiting this "medical facility".) Oops, your brother died! Oops, turns out he died for nothing because your Lord doesn't actually believe in what he preaches and since he doesn't give a poo poo about winning the Contest, he'll probably be replaced when the next contest round begins, meaning life will be poo poo again! No wonder she goes AAAAAAAAAAAAAA (her VA is stellar, like drat, those were some good screams). Except for the whole "suddenly, soylent green lake" thing, I liked this string of scenes immensely. Dohalim's "twist" that he isn't actually a True Believer, but a man plagued with PTSD, felt natural and creates just enough conflict with Kisara that I can see them remaining on good, but strained terms.

Anyway apparently the extremely evil-looking scientist guy is, in fact, evil! Who would've thought it? On to the palace, I guess.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tales of Arise shipments and digital sales top one million

Maybe they can keep giving these games a budget now

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Barudak posted:

Rinwell's voice recording quality gets bodied in some key cutscenes after zone 5, yowch.

Also one huge QoL miss in this game is not letting you know the level difficulty of Zeugles or quests. After Zone 5 I was level 36 and able to accept a quest that culminated in dropping me off in an unfleeable encounter with a level 63 boss who wiped the floor with me in seconds

this happened to me too where i went on a hunt not knowing it was like 10-12 levels above me. i ended up winning the fight by demon fanging it to death.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

this happened to me too where i went on a hunt not knowing it was like 10-12 levels above me. i ended up winning the fight by demon fanging it to death.

That hunt really early on where the game tells you to go fight a level 43 zeugle (which you can't escape from) presumably to teach you how the "getting your poo poo rocked" mechanics work and that you need to come back later for quests. Except theres a quest in the same area that non lethally makes you wait until end of zone 5 to progress and when you do finish the super powerful zuegle quest the dialog is like it was actually a tutorial quest for hunts which it isn't since you know, its 25 hours later now

Its just a weird oversight in QoL

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Arise is my first Tales game and I really like it so far except that the characters never shut up. Anyways, how long is the game?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Veriun posted:

(Was the soylent green lake mentioned at any point earlier? Feels like it came out of nowhere, and the whole thing would've been exposed if Dohalim ever got the inclination of actually visiting this "medical facility".)

Well obviously nobody outright says "there's a lake out back where people melt into man goop" but there are a few NPCs around town when you first get there saying stuff like "My friend got sick and went to the medical facility behind the quarry, it sure has been a while since anyone last saw them. Oh well, I'm sure it's fine."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Veriun posted:

drat, the bosses in this game, the humanoid ones in particular, suck rear end. Whenever I get to a heal spot and a weapon forger, I've taken to groaning because I know there's a tedious bullshit fight coming up. I feel like it wouldn't be nearly as bad if it wasn't such a jarring shift from being able to effortlessly mow down enemy mobs. It just feels weird like this.

Just fought (area 3) Dohalim and... does the game assume I have access to Boost attacks constantly? He wiped the floor with me and I was only able to block one single attack, the timing seems really weird/finicky. At the end he'd spam the Mystic Arte thing, or whatever it was, several times in a row. I resorted to cheesing it with dodge rolls and Demon Fang spam because gently caress this noise.

That fight in particular is actually one of my favorites so far. All of his melee combos have a clear tell and are possible to perfect dodge, and when the boss does the charge spam attack, you can absolutely dodge every pass even if you can't boost attack it(though one or two of your AI companions are likely to eat poo poo). His desperation spam, unlike Ganabelt's, is also totally dodgeable just by running around.

The game absolutely does have a weird and enduring problem with assuming you have boost attacks up constantly even though they take a millenium to recharge until you've invested in tons of upgrades that you might not even have access to in the first place when the fights take place, though.

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.

Bland posted:

Well obviously nobody outright says "there's a lake out back where people melt into man goop" but there are a few NPCs around town when you first get there saying stuff like "My friend got sick and went to the medical facility behind the quarry, it sure has been a while since anyone last saw them. Oh well, I'm sure it's fine."

Oh I caught those NPC comments, and they absolutely made me suspicious as hell, so the fact that there was something nefarious going on was a given. The lake itself just fell kinda flat for me, even though I liked the scene and what it represented. One of my favorite scenes so far in the game, in fact. Helps that it's pretty, just like everything in this game. The city, all the NPCs, the patterns and lights... :swoon:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shionne, Shionne, Shionne thanks to a late game revelation I know you just been lazy lying on the floor when you get defeated in battle

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Boost attacks are definitely handled weirdly. In the late game, they recharge so absurdly fast that you'll pretty much always have a counter to whatever an enemy is doing unless you wasted it for no real reason but it builds up way too slowly in the early game that even if you do time it right and cancel a bosses attacks, chances are they'll charge up their attack again before your boost guage has filled back up.

I really do like Arise and against random mobs, it's some of the best combat Tales has seen, but against bosses it can be hit or miss. They feel more like God Eater boss fights than Tales boss fights.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least the side quests in this are better than Scarlet Nexus, I prefer boring over actively malicious.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Shionne, Shionne, Shionne thanks to a late game revelation I know you just been lazy lying on the floor when you get defeated in battle

Unintentionally makes the line that Dohalim says about her yawning in combat much funnier

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I really do like Arise and against random mobs, it's some of the best combat Tales has seen, but against bosses it can be hit or miss. They feel more like God Eater boss fights than Tales boss fights.

same. i find the boss fights depend on how stocked up on items i am when i fight them. the ones where i was low on supplies ended up dragging out way too long because i had to play it really safe and demon fang spam them to death and keep my teammates from dying. im starting to sell off all the monster parts i dont need so its been alot easier not being broke all the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Area 5 boss help

Am i severely underleveled against the two giant beast monster fight or something, I had an easier time against the fights afterwards. I was at like 33 at the time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tae posted:

Area 5 boss help

Am i severely underleveled against the two giant beast monster fight or something, I had an easier time against the fights afterwards. I was at like 33 at the time.

Any boss fight with multiples is an absolute mother fucker because aggro works real weird. I was 35 going into the next fights so you aren't severly under.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

Area 5 boss help

I gave my team Freeze protection charms because that was the thing that was getting me, then I focus fired the one at half health. Then the boss swaps to a combined form, you can probably take the freeze charms off and put in damage resistances afterwards

Remember you can swap gear during the fight.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Enjoying this more than recent Tales series games, but it has one huge flaw.

What the hell is going on with the difficulty settings? It seems like you want to turn it all the way up to hard for normal battles and then down two levels to normal for bosses/elites because it becomes nearly mathematically impossible without spamming items.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

Enjoying this more than recent Tales series games, but it has one huge flaw.

What the hell is going on with the difficulty settings? It seems like you want to turn it all the way up to hard for normal battles and then down two levels to normal for bosses/elites because it becomes nearly mathematically impossible without spamming items.
i think they wanted the bosses to have a Dark Souls feel (sorry but its the only comparison i could think of) where theyre big memorable difficulty spikes but they didnt exactly tightly design them, they mostly just made them hp sponges that oneshot you. which sort of describes dark souls bosses but theyre way more predictable and your moveset in a souls game is way more limited so you pretty quickly memorize your exact recovery and delay on your moves, so you know how many attacks you can squeeze in.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wonder what made the devs decide to give Shionne Spread and Freeze Lancer

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The XP granted by enemies also has some weird issue where a miniboss-tier mob in the post 2nd Anime OP dungeon gives a whopping 18 XP for beating it while a random trash mob you can obliterate in seconds gives a hundred+. Theres a lot of weird design quirks where it feels like they didn't totally understand the combat system or had an idea and just left it in even if it no longer made sense.

Still gonna play the hell out of Tales of Next

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I was going to ask for advice on bosses because I feel like i'm doing something wrong but it sounds like I just really need to be stocked up on supplies.

I will ask though is it possible to get the full iron mask cosmetic for Alphen

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
I'm not quite done yet, but I think the second act is a little less restrictive than the first, while also feeling a little bit ... unfinished? It feels like a lot of the mechanics and spells and abilities are really frontloaded from where I'm at right now (doing a big pile of side quests after the 5th lord and the stuff that happens after that feels a lot like a similar bit in Graces with all the quasi organic towers and whatnot. )

I feel like they've definitely got a good thing going with the direction for the series, and the move to UE4 was probably a really good move, but stuff like Rinwell suddenly being done learning spells at like, level 40 feels a little off to me comparing it to the older games in the series. Unless-- mechanics question: she has something after shooting stars? I feel like her spell list is kinda lacking, and she picked up meteor swarm at level 30ish for me, way before she even learned burn strike, which I thought was weird as hell cuz it claimed it needed that as a requisite for her spell-storing thing

The whole cast feels kinda like that except Kisara, who has basically been randomly picking up new skills this entire time. Maybe I burned through most of the progression in Act 1 so it feels like there isn't as much in Act 2.

Also, I will say subquest spoiler for a tower thing : the giant bird is kinda awesome, but also it really needs a way to fix the camera because it doesn't matter how much you yell for me to look out when I can't find where I'm supposed to be looking, okay?

An final thought for now, cuz I like writing essays: what's the deal with Tales and oozes bosses? Every time they show up they're massive poo poo-wreckers that are huge difficulty spikes in whatever game are they're in. Destiny Graces and Abyss spring to mind (though Destiny was more of a ... bug hive thing and the Abyss one was just dirty), but none of them hold a candle to this one's second version. The undine drop is disgusting

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Endorph posted:

i think they wanted the bosses to have a Dark Souls feel (sorry but its the only comparison i could think of) where theyre big memorable difficulty spikes but they didnt exactly tightly design them, they mostly just made them hp sponges that oneshot you. which sort of describes dark souls bosses but theyre way more predictable and your moveset in a souls game is way more limited so you pretty quickly memorize your exact recovery and delay on your moves, so you know how many attacks you can squeeze in.

I think this too, and the comparison is apt. The fireplaces that act as "savepoints" of sorts and the default button scheme come to mind. My theory is that they playtested the bosses and they were quite easy to beat on normal difficulty and so to account for that they gave them superarmor.

I hope they patch the bosses to allow for hitstun or to at least juggling them properly during certain phases, it's one of my favorite things in these games. The difficulty would be fine, they're just not fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really really hate that every single boss has to be boost striked at half health in order to continue dealing damage/continue the fight so you're incentivized to pull back on damage and then resume going full throttle.

Also why you the player must strike the killing blow or else they stay at 1hp forever is weird.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
They wanted the boss battles to be cinematic instead of fun.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I actually like the giant monster bosses, although that one that's just an encounter can gently caress off. They're HP sponges and that could definitely be toned the gently caress down, but they (mostly) have very obvious attack tells and unless they cast spells and Rinwell is on the field it's quite clear what's going on, as opposed to the humanoid bosses which is just a visual mess of the party and them.

If I ever opt to replay Arise at some point I'll probably cheat engine everyone's attack stats into something absurd to push through fights faster tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overbite posted:

They wanted the boss battles to be cinematic instead of fun.

yeah in general the game is very good but there's a few cases where it feels a little... idk, self-conscious? like how fast the pace is feels like its pushing forward so fast that if something doesnt land for you you dont have time to think about it too much, the bosses are very obsessed with being like, climatic

its a fairly bold direction for the series and i think they mostly nailed it but i hope the next game loosens its tie a little if its following in this vein

i also hope they choose to iterate on this combat system rather than throwing it out like was the previous standard for the series for the most part, because while theres some rough edges (and honestly i think assist attacks/boost strikes/etc were not worth giving up co-op for, having seen them in action in full), i do think they have something very nice working here.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I would like to remind people that Arise, at least in part, is an experiment, and it's okay if an experiment has parts that don't work.

They wanted to change up the formula, mix things up. They did so. Now that Arise is selling, they'll look at what people think worked, what didn't, what they wanted tweaked or removed or missed from the past games, and they'll take all that and make another Tales of game

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like how almost every giant zeugle you run into is more or less level appropriate at the time you find them except the first you ever run into which is in the mid-40's level-wise. Naturally the side quest you get to kill it is one of the first you can pick up in the game and the guy just says "yeah look you can't kill it now but EVENTUALLY you've got this."

Anyway my main problem with the zeugle boss fights is that the dev team is almost universally not confident in the actual unique design mechanics of the particular boss in question, so they heap on lazy difficulty like super armor and a group of adds that spawn in half-way through.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Junpei posted:

I would like to remind people that Arise, at least in part, is an experiment, and it's okay if an experiment has parts that don't work.

They wanted to change up the formula, mix things up. They did so. Now that Arise is selling, they'll look at what people think worked, what didn't, what they wanted tweaked or removed or missed from the past games, and they'll take all that and make another Tales of game

But I think what Endorph mentioned is important though. Typically, Tales hasn't really iterated on stuff when it comes to mechanics. They just start fresh each game (which why, when combat was perfected with Graces F), so hoping we get some iteration for once because I really like this combat minus a few minor gripes.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I didn't find any of the bosses very fun, but the worst one is (post 5th lord, just before the finale) the one in the Volcano. Really? Just a half dozen waves of adds and then a single quick time event and it's over? I don't even get to attack the giant monster? It was extremely anticlimatic.

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 16, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The general gameplay feel is probably the best it's ever been in Tales with this game but i have to admit i miss how snappy the party switching and easier access to mystic artes in Berseria was. Switching out party members and letting them heal up fighting game style while i did switch combos with 2 or 3 of the other characters instead ending a boss with everybody pitching in their Mystic Art is just peak Tales gameplay.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
To me, some of the bosses really felt like they really wanted it to be like Ys 8 or 9 sometimes, but didn’t understand that you’re going to have to give me a little more tools to work with if you’re going to have hyper-speed bosses with no kind of hit stun.

Either the boss HP is too high or the party’s damage output is too low (even if you start doing things like abusing the toxicity arte). Reacting to specific tells a boss does (which a lot of the time the bosses don’t have good tells, or are human-sized and will be completely obscured by spell effects) with certain characters is a good idea in practice but make it so that boost skills are available more than they actually are. And also do something about boost skills being weird with hit boxes (namely Kisara and Dohalim sometimes whiffing enemies outright when jumping in).

Like, I’m post 5th region and to be honest, while I can say that some boss fights have cool moments in them, there was absolutely no boss right so far where I was thinking “hey that was fun enough where I would do it again.” I honestly don’t care for doing a lot of them a second time, and there are some that I never want to play again

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I'm playing on hard and hardly any of the bosses have felt at all tanky. Then again I've been abusing the break system and Alphen's fire combo that does like 50k damage.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

the bosses in Xillia 2 also had superarmor, right?

I actually didnt get very far in Xillia 2 because at the very least I remember the boss fights in that title also not being very fun for one reason or another

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I cannot believe that like 15 minutes in to this game they have a cutscene where a guy crushes a glass in his grip, except the screen goes black before it breaks so they don't have to animate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Where are my anime cut-in portraits during mystic artes? Give me my anime cut-in portraits!